• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Every game has introduced franchises that didn't have a stage, at least at first.

64: Earthbound and F-Zero
Melee: Fire Emblem
Brawl: ROB
Smash 4: Still ROB, Wii Fit, Duck Hunt (3DS only, DH added in post)
Wii Fit does have a stage though:

Wii Fit Studio

Last edited:

Abha

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people are slept on, like Prince Sable. He's arguably more slept on given his MIA status.
Namco stuff may happen, but people expected Tekken more I guess.
Not gonna post the song for the dozenth time, just give me Prince Sable or show him as an assist trophy.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A lot of people are slept on, like Prince Sable. He's arguably more slept on given his MIA status.
Namco stuff may happen, but people expected Tekken more I guess.
Tekken would be more hype for me personally. I'd be fine with Heihachi, but Jin's my main so I'd be even happier with him.
Jin_Kazama.png

Though Heihachi's the one that was considered at all so.....

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well, I guess we can see Rowlet instead of Decidueye and it's likely too. Rowlet is far more popular than Decidueye (in Japan), is one of Ash's main Pokémon in the animé, and we need more pre-evolution Pokémon, since Pichu and Squirtle are the only ones who fit that bill. I wouldn't underestimate Rowlet, something all of you guys are doing.
Friendly reminder that we have a bit of diversity in smash right now

Baby - Pichu
Basic - Squirtle, Pikachu, Jigglyuff
Stage 1 - Lucario, Ivysaur
Stage 2 - Charizard, Greninja
Legendary - Mewtwo

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who says it needs to be based off of the original level design?
Hell, if we did get one, it probably wouldn't, because Gyromite's levels are closed off rooms.
Considering that Mario Bros., 75m, and Balloon Fight got quintessentially exact copies, the same should apply here save for modifying the walls into walk-offs.

See those little bird guys? Those are basically like your enemies in Mario Bros. See those levers? Getting smushed by you kills the doctor, and by using logic we can assume it will also kill you instantly by crushing you since you have no way to escape being smushed. Dynamite may mean or not mean something, maybe they're grabbable items.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I appreciate all the Gyro-mite discussion.

Trailer for the upcoming sequel Wayne stars in. Very... uh, strange.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I can't believe there are people who still don't think there will be anything Smash related in the Direct. Like.. what the hell?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I seriously have to question if people actually like Gyromite because as far as I know it was a huge flop along with the other ROB game and well, ROB himself.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Tekken would be more hype for me personally. I'd be fine with Heihachi, but Jin's my main so I'd be even happier with him.

Though Heihachi's the one that was considered at all so.....
Heihachi is however probably the most recognizable character in Tekken. It would explain why he was in PSABR and considered for Smash 4.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's why I said Echos not included.
Aw geez oof darn, I hate it when the one thing that would totally crush the totally solid theory is not allowed becuase it would totally crush the totally not solid theory.

Not gonna post the song for the dozenth time, just give me Prince Sable or show him as an assist trophy.
what

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Someone on Reddit claimed that Vergeben posted a leak with Phoenix Wright in it. Quote:

"vergeben posted some leak with him but he said he doesn't know if it was real"

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I'm still low key mad Melee didn't get a Fire Emblem Stage. My OCD hates that part of the game.
I'm still a bit disappointed that Arena Ferox is the only real FE stage. Castle Siege and Colosseum are FE only by the music, there's nothing on the stages that marks them as from "Fire Emblem."

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
What is this?

I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOP OF THE LIST IMMEDIATELY!
This great atmospheric RPG. Check it out on Steam, it's getting a sequel soon.

In Smash he'd play like a mixture of Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game and Watch.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I dunno what or how this could work but I really want a nintendo character that represents the non video game side of Nintendo. I know "no non video game characters" but there's a difference between random shounen protagonists and someone who actually helps with the implied goal of super smash bros to bring everyone from nintendo in one. We have ROB as I guess a real world object by nintendo but I always found the playstyle to be a letdown compared to how cool it should be to play as a ROB.

Nester? Hanafuda Tengu/Napoleon? Play-Yan? 9-Volt using various old nintendo toys?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
or a Pokemon that's not Incineroar.
Well someone doesn't like Incineroar.

I dunno what or how this could work but I really want a nintendo character that represents the non video game side of Nintendo. I know "no non video game characters" but there's a difference between random shounen protagonists and someone who actually helps with the implied goal of super smash bros to bring everyone from nintendo in one. We have ROB as I guess a real world object by nintendo but I always found the playstyle to be a letdown compared to how cool it should be to play as a ROB.

Nester? Hanafuda Tengu/Napoleon? Play-Yan? 9-Volt using various old nintendo toys?
I always liked the idea of using Reggie or Iwata.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Gyromite? Now that’s something I haven’t seen discussed before.

Does anybody think Professor Hector should’ve been playable instead of ROB or is it another mascot/protagonist situation?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Aw geez oof darn, I hate it when the one thing that would totally crush the totally solid theory is not allowed becuase it would totally crush the totally not solid theory.
Clearly echoes aren't weighted the same as an entirely new character.
Simon except he's wearing blue clothes is probably less work than adding Bomberman.

That said, past trends like this aren't indicative of anything to begin with.
Sakurai's not going to stop himself if he wants something because of his own self-imposed rule.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Someone on Reddit claimed that Vergeben posted a leak with Phoenix Wright in it. Quote:

Reddit is ripe with misinformation when it comes to leaks. You can always check what Vergeben has said on his GameFAQs account or his Reddit account, he never posts elsewhere, so it's easy to keep track of.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Captain N the Game Master

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Clearly echoes aren't weighted the same as an entirely new character.
Simon except he's wearing blue clothes is probably less work than adding Bomberman.
But it's still a new character.
Simon's great great great great [i dont know how many greats] grandson wearing blue is still a newcomer no matter how people put it.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Vergeben said on his instagram account that Steve was an absolute lock, but he isn't sure about the source, but that they were definitely in. Trust me, he pm'd me personally with the info, I can't screen shot it though I accidentally deleted my account right after. /s

Last edited:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Vergeben said on his instagram account that Steve was an absolute lock, but he isn't sure about the source, but that they were definitely in. Trust me, he pm'd me personally with the info, I can't screen shot it though I accidentally deleted my account right after. /s
Oh **** Marcus Sellers is that you?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Minecraft does get represented in some way. I expect it'll only be a stage. Same with how Monster Hunter might only have a stage, assist trophy and boss fight.

I mean its possible after all. Just look at the Paper Mario stage assuming Paper Mario doesn't get in.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But it's still a new character.
Simon's great great great great [i dont know how many greats] grandson wearing blue is still a newcomer no matter how people put it.
No one is saying he isn't "a newcomer"

But in terms of pure resource weight, they're obviously not the same.
That's why the clarification is put in when speculating, so we don't have a guy going:

every single time.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

It's from a 6 month old rumor that has Zero on it. It's possible that Phoenix (and Tails and Noctis) from that rumor are present, but it doesn't mean they can't be ATs either, since Zero is one.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm still a bit disappointed that Arena Ferox is the only real FE stage. Castle Siege and Colosseum are FE only by the music, there's nothing on the stages that marks them as from "Fire Emblem."
The Castle Siege and Coliseum Stages are meant to be to Fire Emblem what the Pokemon Stadium arenas are to Pokemon. They're meant to be stages that evoke the general feel of the game without explicitly being from a certain game and I think they do a damn good job with it. Especially Castle Siege. That stage is more Fire Emblem than even Arena Ferox, it evokes the games better. And the Coliseum is present in a vast majority of Fire Emblem games so it represents a bug part of most if the games. I'm happy with the FE stages now. Just not back in Melee because, well, there wasn't one. :/

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
No one is saying he isn't "a newcomer"

But in terms of pure resource weight, they're obviously not the same.
That's why the clarification is put in when speculating, so we don't have a guy going:

every single time.
I feel attacked.

Hope I'm not jinxing it, but I'm shocked that nothing Smash-related from the Direct has been leaked believably yet.
Maybe it did. There's no way to tell until we watch it.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If Minecraft has to be in Ultimate, then just a stage and maybe a Creeper AT is fine.

It should satisfy the kids I hope.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If Minecraft has to be in Ultimate, then just a stage and maybe a Creeper AT is fine.

It should satisfy the kids I hope.
There's a reason Minecraft is one of the most influential videogames of the 21st century and it goes beyond kid appeal.
Let's not pretend only children enjoy Minecraft.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Heihachi is however probably the most recognizable character in Tekken. It would explain why he was in PSABR and considered for Smash 4.
Jin's just as close to being as known as Heihachi, since his debut in Tekken 3. He's been in quite a few crossovers as well. Not to mention he's been the longest standing protagonist of the series, and they seem to being going back to him in the lead role after Tekken 7(maybe they know people didn't like him much as a villain in 6.)

I know it's not much, but Keep in mind Jin's been used a bit more for the marketing in the series, until T7, where the focus is specifically on Kazuya and Heihachi settling their score. Again, it's not much, but the fact that Jin's been the longest standing "hero"(I use that term loosely with the Mishimas), and is a literal posterboy shouldn't be sandbagged either. I still think Heihachi would be chosen over him, but Jin's also the other character who has an honest shot.

5934-tekken-3-playstation-front-cover.jpg
15741-tekken-4-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
600full-tekken-advance-cover.jpg
Tekken-5-Cover.jpg
278244-project-x-zone-nintendo-3ds-front-cover.jpg
220px-PSP-TekkenDarkRessurectionUSversion-FrontCover.jpg

Tekken 5DR LITERALLY uses him twice as the only character(s) on one of the covers. Can you blame me for wanting the late 90's Karate Man in a crossover fighting game?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom