• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
What's the most unexpected character that could make it into Smash?
Captain N

Alright all jokes aside, I’d say Mike Jones. He haven’t been discussed much and would be an unexpected retro to many

Or Crash...because you know...it’s Crash freaking Bandicoot

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
In a couple of minutes, it'll be 24 hours until the Direct. To pass the time, I've been wondering something about Smash Ultimate. Aside from getting all the characters, what'll be the first stage y'all are going on?

For me, Shadow Moses Island. We bringin' back the memories.
Hard to say with about 103 of them.

Probably either New Donk, Kongo Jungle, Delfino Plaza, or Fourside.

Graizen

Smash Champion
They are still very much styled after Fire Emblem, featuring many elements present in each game, particular the Colosseum, since those appear in a lot of games.
Part of the problem with Fire Emblem is that it doesn't have the most iconic locales, only really Arena Ferox and the unique look of the sealed Kingdom of Valla and the Opera House. The rest tend to just be castles, fields, forests, villages, etc..none really that unique.

Depends on if Sakurai views Digimon, the Tamagachi-like device, as a video game. If he does, Agumon has a chance, if not, then no. It doesn't help that I have seen almost no one asking for Agumon, likely due to many falsely seeing him as Anime and Digimon's fall from grace after the first two animes.

Yes, yes she is.
I invite you to see the Agumon topic on the Newcomer section!
You will see more about Agumon's chances.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
In a couple of minutes, it'll be 24 hours until the Direct. To pass the time, I've been wondering something about Smash Ultimate. Aside from getting all the characters, what'll be the first stage y'all are going on?

Probably Yoshi's Island Melee.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hoping for a Bowser's Castle and K. Rool stage (Gangplank Galleon or Krazy Kremland or such).

DLC-wise I also want Spiral Mountain with Gruntilda being an stage hazard.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The last thing I want is for everyone's safe predictions containing common newcomers like Isaac, Banjo, Incineroar to be right. I want any non-ballot newcomer that is not chorus kids or a Pokemon newcomer that would enforce people to re-think the newcomer choices they are betting and not rely on the ballot so much for speculation. We need a new breath of life to the speculation scene. :estatic:
Isaac, safe? Really?

The only safe newcomer we got so far is :ultinkling:. No other character was guaranteed.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I guess Temple or Great Plateau Tower for me.

*Insert obligatory "avatar checks out" post here.*

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I'd rather would have Tails than Shadow. Tails to so Sonic what Luigi is to Mario.

Though I'd still rather have Knuckles, but we know his fate.
Always I personally believed that if we didn't get Knuckles as a second Sonic character, it'd be Tails or vice versa.
Or there is a possibility we could just get Metal Sonic if there needs to be a 1:1 echo fighter for Sonic. Outside of Robotnik, he's one of the main, if not only, reoccurring villains that date back to the classic series.
I got another game to pass the time.

Are there any echoes you can see potentially passing the character they're based on in popularity? At least assuming the character and their echo are similar enough that choosing between the two could boil down to personal preference.

Not sure if I can picture :ultdaisy: outdoing :ultpeach:. :ultchrom: I can definitely see getting ahead of :ultroy: given his popularity, though his different Up Special and blade kinda makes them a special case. I'm not as sure about :ultsamus: and :ultdarksamus:, I can see them being split down the middle. I can also picture :ultrichter: beating out :ultsimon:, but not by a wide margin.

As for potential echoes, I fully expect to be drowned in a sea of Edgy The Hedgies online should :ultsonic: get him as an echo. :ultryu: and Ken I can see being neck and neck, though Ken is more popular in the west I believe. I also see :ultvillager: and Isabelle having a pretty even split.

Any other echoes you guys want that you feel may trump their original? Anything with my deductions you don't quite agree with?
:ultpeach: vs :ultdaisy:
I could see more people lean towards Daisy at first, given she would be considered a change from the usual Peach. I mean I know I'm going to give her a spin when I unlock her.
In the long term though, I honestly think it depends on what properties she has and if more people take a liking to her. A good amount of people do love Daisy though.
:ultroy: vs :ultchrom:
Chrom, no question.
Sure, there's a good amount of people that love Roy and his overall character. However, as soon as Chrom was revealed, I saw a lot of people hype themselves up over the fact that he has a balanced blade. Also, not to mention the fact that the character is just objectively more recognizable and loved due to Awakening being many people's first FE.
I mean he even made it in due to fan demand.
:ultsamus: vs :ultdarksamus:
I think DS might win out in terms of popularity overall at first. I mean more people definitely flock to villains and harder designs, so I think she'll be given a bit more usage. However, I think it's kind of the same situation with Daisy, it depends on what properties they have that will keep people around.
:ultsimon: vs :ultrichter:
Like you said, I think Richter might win out, but not by quite a lot. Some people might just dig his design and personality more, so they'll go with him. Some might go for Simon due to nostalgia.
It's honestly a toss up.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The safe Unique characters aka the most common predicted characters right now are:

Geno
Incineroar
Isaac
Banjo
Skull Kid

Honestly, I'm going to be surprised if we even get 3 of them based on past predictions and the actual rosters.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Pretty sure that's just speculation. Though isn't Corrin bisexual in Fates? Or am I misremembering the context of the Niles/Rhajat Supports?
Bayonetta should be canonically gay, but the people at Platinum Games are cowards for making a game where Bayonetta personally travels to hell just to save Jeans soul.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The safe Unique characters aka the most common predicted characters right now are:

Geno
Incineroar
Isaac
Banjo
Skull Kid

Honestly, I'm going to be surprised if we even get 3 of them based on past predictions and the actual rosters.
I say Shantae may have a good shot too.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Normally, I'd go to Battlefield to test out newcomers, but since it appears that we're not starting off with any newcomers right off the bat, I think I'll either start with Unova Pokemon League or Great Bay.
I'll definitely go to FoD early on as well. Mushroom Kingdom 64 too.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'm watching the latest GameXplain prediction video for the Direct and Jon thinks Isabelle could be a full fledged newcomer with a moveset based on summoning other villagers. Maybe if you add to that stuff based on her job (books, projects, etc), it could be interesting enough.. And her final smash could be the same as Villager's but with a Town Hall instead of a house.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Oh, I forgot to mention, I definitely want to try out the Battlefield form of Final Destination right away. Definitely a priority.

Bayonetta should be canonically gay, but the people at Platinum Games are cowards for making a game where Bayonetta personally travels to hell just to save Jeans soul.
Not gonna lie, of all the franchises in Smash, Bayonetta is probably the one I know the least about, so this comment just went completely over my head.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Still a chance for Scorpion.

MK characters must have had some presence on the ballot.
That's a big assumption imo.
MK fans and Smash fans usually isn't something that lines up from what I've seen. I also didn't see a single MK face in any fan poll-not an official Ballot but still.
Granted, Cloud probably didn't either. So hang in there and keep believing in him.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Fountain of dreams. It was my most wanted stage, and I must play it.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Doesn't Bayo have a daughter? I mean at most she'd be bi

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I just really hope BWD doesn't make it in Smash, i'd prefer if Marx gets in as the new Kirby rep.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Always unfortunate when the Ike/LGBT topic comes up in this thread because it turns into pages of debates about if this character is gay or not. Which he is gay but anyhow

I just really hope BWD doesn't make it in Smash, i'd prefer if Marx gets in as the new Kirby rep.
IGuess, don't tell me it's due to the "minion with a headband" nonsense?

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Nothing is confirmed until stated.

Poision wasn't even supposed to be a trans character and got lost in translation, if I recall. Vivian is kinda in a similar boat?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'd rather have Dark Matter. Having Marx to me is like having Skull Kid before Ganondorf.

Always unfortunate when the Ike/LGBT topic comes up in this thread because it turns into pages of debates about if this character is gay or not. Which he is gay but anyhow
You don't just go "man i hate it when people throw oil in the fire" and then proceed to throw oil in thefire

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Nothing is confirmed until stated.

Poision wasn't even supposed to be a trans character and got lost in translation, if I recall. Vivian is kinda in a similar boat?
Poison's trans status depends on the region. She's very much trans in some areas of the world, but not in others. It's very dumb imo.
Viv is definitely trans in Japan, but due to the times TTYD was released in this was "censored" for most other releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom