• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Pokémon Let’s Go...

...also the already released Mario Tennis Aces and Octopath Traveler
Octopath wasn’t first party and Aces wasn’t really a huge title.

Let’s Go (as much as people don’t care about it) and Ultimate are their big system-selling titles this year.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Pokémon Let’s Go...

Let's Go isn't a true mainline Pokemon, Aces is more like a smaller game to fill in the gaps and Octopath was made by Square not Nintendo

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Probably just Smash,

I guarantee Smash will be in it. It is Nintendo's only huge game in 2018 they NEED to market it
No it isnt. Just because you dont personally like the Lets Go series does not mean it isnt a huge game.
I would not be surprised if LG sales were higher than Smash. Perhaps even more of a system seller.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Pokémon Let’s Go...

Those aren’t exactly what I’d call “big games”

Not on the level of a zelda, smash, or mario anyway. If the let’s go games were actual core pkmn games then yeah I could see it, but really smash is the only big unreleased 2018 title. The only other thing that arguably could be considered big would be the xenoblade2 dlc.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
You mean Shizumaru?

Haohmaru and Mitsurugi don't fight similarily at all but anyway I was thinking more Nakoruru since she could also work
Yeah I met him.

Somewhere in the dilapidated catacombs of the Capcom heaquarters, a lone electrician is braving the dark to find the cut in a phone line. He was assured by Capcom that there was nothing of importance down there. Fix the cable and touch nothing, they said.

It was hard to see and messy. He stumbles uneasily, tripping over one pile of debris after another, finally stopped by a large clang. Amid the scattered contents of a rusty file cabinet he finds an aged paper unseen by human eyes since its conception. He shines his flashlight on it.

"Copyright Document...P... Power Stone?"

He was never heard from again.
This is a pretty sad horror story. ;-;

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
No it isnt. Just because you dont personally like the Lets Go series does not mean it isnt a huge game.
I would not be surprised if LG sales were higher than Smash. Perhaps even more of a system seller.
It will sell well but it's not a huge AAA game like Odyssey, BOTW and Smash

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Not on the level of a zelda, smash, or mario anyway. If the let’s go games were actual core pkmn games then yeah I could see it, but really smash is the only big unreleased 2018 title. The only other thing that arguably could be considered big would be the xenoblade2 dlc.
Never underestimate Pokemon.
Never.
It's a bigger goliath than most other franchises, gaming or otherwise, could ever hope to become.
What, to you, qualifies as "huge AAA game?"

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I understand you guys getting frustrated waiting for the direct, I'm a little confused why they haven't put out a single statement regarding it yet, but you're all acting like this is all you have in your lives and you're being starved. Play some vidya, replay some vidya, read a book, work out, go out some. There's likely a lot to look forward to in the direct, but I refuse to believe so many of you have absolutely nothing to do other than wait for this. :p

I can only bash my head against Godmaster for so long though, time to play some other games.
We were blue-balled by Nintendo.
We were all waiting patiently, they told us there was a direct, then they took it away and said “soon”.

It’s not the lack of direct driving us insane. It’s the fact that we were less than a day away from one, and then it was cancelled, and now we have no clue when it will be.

It’s like if a girl says to come over and her parents aren’t home. You’re in the car outside her house, but she says nevermind her parents just got home.
Ok, I understand that’s a good reason for me not to come in, but what I don’t understand is that she cuts off communication for almost a week.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Never underestimate Pokemon.
Never.
It's a bigger goliath than most other franchises, gaming or otherwise, could ever hope to become.
Pokemon is actually the Highest grossing Media Franchise in the world
It's raked in more cash than Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, and even Harry Potter...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the general tone understating the inevitable success of Let's Go, is that it will not leave as big of a cultural impact.
Regarding that, no, Nintendo's biggest games have so far been Odyssey and BotW, with Smash as the next of the series.

Regarding sales, critical reception, attachment rate of owners, and console pushers- yes... Let's Go Pokemon is up there with the above titles, along with Mario Kart and Splatoon 2.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
We were all waiting patiently, they told us there was a direct, then they took it away and said “soon”.

It’s not the lack of direct driving us insane. It’s the fact that we were less than a day away from one, and then it was cancelled, and now we have no clue when it will be.

It’s like if a girl says to come over and her parents aren’t home. You’re in the car outside her house, but she says nevermind her parents just got home.
Ok, I understand that’s a good reason for me not to come in, but what I don’t understand is that she cuts off communication for almost a week.
THIRTY.
SEVEN.
PEOPLE.
DIED.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

Exactly

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

You're kidding, right?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/31/14454408/pokemon-sun-moon-sales-nintendo-3ds-future

Pokemon is easily bigger than Zelda and Smash, and at least on par with Mario. The Let's Go games are, for all intents and purposes, core games with modified capture mechanics. They will likely sell absurd amounts and yes, probably more than Smash. Xenoblade 2 DLC is not even worth mentioning in the same breath.

I get that this is a Smash Bros echo chamber but it feels like people forget that whilst it sells well, it hasn't been close to the best selling game on a console since Melee.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

Doesn't change the fact you can do something else to occupy yourself. I was looking forward to it, but it's not like my life has been put on hold for a week so I can wait for the direct. It's a shame we have to wait, personally, I feel like at this point Nintendo is only hurting themselves financially by waiting this long to reveal whatever cool new info they had in the direct, but it's no real sweat off my back. Life goes on whether the direct comes out on time, later this week, or even October.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pokemon is actually the Highest grossing Media Franchise in the world
It's raked in more cash than Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, and even Harry Potter...
Oh, I know.
Here is a helpful chart. Pokemon tops the highest grossing media franchises of all time.
It also explains the other video games characters I think we will see coming. From Minecraft, Mortal Kombat...

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The casual audience (which is bigger than the hardcore audience) will see “Pokémon for Switch,” and buy it. They don’t know what “Gen 8 is,” they don’t know that a bunch of mechanics are removed, and they probably don’t even care.

They’ll buy Let’s Go, and they’ll buy Gen 8.

By the way, XY, ORAS, and SuMo all sold more than Smash 3DS. The only set of games that didn’t were USUM, which released 2 years after Smash 3DS.

EDIT: USUM came out 3 years after Smash 3DS actually.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Civilization 6 on Switch just gives me more motivation to want Abraham Lincoln with a Gandhi Echo.

Lincoln Final Smash: Code Name S.T.E.A.M

Gandhi Final Smash: A peaceful chat with you in which you decide to concede the match to him.

NUKEGANDHI.jpg

Last edited:

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
THIRTY.
SEVEN.
PEOPLE.
DIED.
This has nothing to do with what Bidoof said. They’re explaining the feeling that people are having and why the wait and lack of information is particularly unbearable this time around. The direct was postponed due to the earthquake, sure. It killed 37 people, sure, which is absolutely horrific. This fact, though, has nothing to do with how people feel starved for information from a direct that was almost within reach. Don’t be that way.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm not convinced that Nintendo delayed the direct for "reverence" anyway. It may have just been because most of the news coverage on the internet would be towards the disaster. I'm sure that Nintendo feels sorrow for the victims, but they never put out a statement about them.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Oh, I know.
Here is a helpful chart. Pokemon tops the highest grossing media franchises of all time.
It also explains the other video games characters I think we will see coming. From Minecraft, Mortal Kombat...
I did not realize Pac-Man and Street Fighter sold that much, but its awesome seeing Street Fighter up there. I remember how dead SF was in the early to mid 2000s.

D

Deleted member

If we're talking about Nintendo's Holiday season for this year, you guys have absolutely no idea how much better this year is compared to last year. You wanna know what last year's Holiday had? Aside from DOOM and Skyrim, it was practically just Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. As much as I love Xenoblade, Mario was practically the one carrying the Holiday, alongside previously released games like Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2.

This year? Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, Diablo III Eternal Collection, Civilization VI (all of these three release in JUST ONE MONTH, by the way), Super Mario Party, Warframe and Smash Ultimate.
I don't think they're going to have any problems this Holiday with that line-up.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking about Nintendo's Holiday season for this year, you guys have absolutely no idea how much better this year is compared to last year. You wanna know what last year's Holiday had? Aside from DOOM and Skyrim, it was practically just Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. As much as I love Xenoblade, Mario was practically the one carrying the Holiday, alongside previously released games like Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2.

This year? Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, Diablo III Eternal Collection, Civilization VI (all of these three release in JUST ONE MONTH, by the way), Super Mario Party, Warframe and Smash Ultimate.
I don't think they're going to have any problems this Holiday with that line-up.
The only "big titles" from that list are Pokemon and Smash - they'll be carrying the holiday like Odyssey was last year. But yeah, it's definitely a better holiday than last year.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

The top electronic gaming franchises on that list are as follows (in estimated billions of dollars)
  • Pokemon- 69
  • Mario- 34
  • Pac-man- 15.1
  • Space Invaders- 12.9
  • Streetfighter- 11.5
  • Final Fantasy- 11.1
  • Dragon Quest- 11
  • Warcraft- 10.7
  • Dungeon Fighter Online- 10.5
  • Grand Theft Auto- 8.56
  • Sonic the Hedgehog- 7.24
  • Puzzle and Dragons- 6.1
  • League of Legends- 5.69
  • Westward Journey- 5.5
  • Resident Evil- 5.24
  • Angry Birds 5.16
  • Minecraft- 5.1
  • Halo- 5.011
  • Mortal Kombat- 5
  • Monster Strike- 4.81
  • Assassin's Creed- 4.34
  • Gran Turismo- 4
  • Candy Crush- 3.68
  • Skylanders- 3.5
  • Yokai-Watch- 3.45
  • Monster Hunter- 3.42
  • The Legend of Zelda- 3.24

These cover the genres of "Video Game, Arcade Game, and Mobile Game, and Computer Game." Though, all are across more than one type of media.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
THIRTY.
SEVEN.
PEOPLE.
DIED.
I.
KNOW.
THAT.

Don’t take this the wrong way. It is tragic that a bunch of people lost their lives. Natural disasters suck, and it sucks they can’t really be predicted often.

But that doesn’t change the fact that I was excited for a thing, then the thing didn’t happen, and now I don’t know when it will.

It was the right thing to do to honor those people and give their families time (although I still think it was because there was something subject-sensitive in the direct). I understand that.
But I’m still a human being, and I can’t magically turn off my emotions and not be a little upset and impatient.

All I was doing in my post was explaining WHY we are feeling that way. What I didn’t do was say it’s ok to harass Nintendo over it.

We have emotions, but we shouldn’t go crazy and act on all of them.

D

Deleted member

I don't know if the Direct will really hold much we'll care about at this point. Sakurai had never said anything to begin with and if there was some Smash info, then I feel he would have at least tweeted by now.

We know of Civilization 6, a Yoshi Game, and FFXV Pocket whatever. We also know that the direct was supposed to contain 3DS content information. We already know that this will be a Switch exclusive game, so depending on the amount of 3DS stuff revealed; be it DLC to older stuff, coming DLC, or new games, that may be the entirety of the Direct.

People keep pining for the Direct as if its a certainty that Smash info was coming in it, but that was never the case. There have been times in the past where general directs held Smash info, but there was also a larger gap between Announcement of the game and its intended release date. This game was hinted at in March of this year and it wasn't until June, 6 months til release, that it was finally confirmed to be a new game rather than a port. Then our next bit of info didn't come until August; only 4 months before release! At this point, since Sakurai had said all characters will be revealed before release, I think there's a fair possibility that every info dump for this game will come from Smash-only Directs, so that the most time, info, and focus can be given to it due to the impending release date.

Some of you are starving for info, demanding this general Direct, but we may not get actual info until next week.

D

Deleted member

We've reached peak Smash fanbase bubble when Pokemon isn't the literal biggest videogame franchise in the world.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I think we all know she wasn't the most requested character from the ballot choices, I personally never saw her high on many polls at the time, maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but I think the genuine shock from everywhere I looked at for Smash discussion painted the picture. She always felt like a marketing strategy character instead of a fan pick. But hey, she's in now and I'm happy for her fans. At least the ballot got us Ridley and K.Rool eventually. :)
Are you talking about Daisy?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pokemon Let's Go will definitely sell well.

Doesn't make it a good game.
You've played it?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a hardcore Pokemon game like usual but saying it's a bad game because of that is jumping to conclusions before even really playing the game. Coliseum and XD weren't hardcore Pokemon games either but they were fun as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom