• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I did not realize how much Pokemon sold as well. I know it was large, but did not know it sold more than Star Wars.

Zone of The Enders was packaged with a demo of Metal Gear Solid 2 which aided in its sales.

Man... I'm just thinking now. Imagine a F-Zero sequel or another franchise revival being packaged with a demo of Gen 8 Pokemon. That would definitely help boost sales. Nintendo should do that. Its the best time for it, Metroid and Star Fox are back. All of these properties getting life breathed into them (like Shenmue 3, Devil May Cry 5, Streets of Rage 4, Samurai Shodown, Megaman 11, etc.).

They should definitely do a demo thing.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pokemon Let's Go will definitely sell well.

Doesn't make it a good game.
Case in point: the Minions movie.
Pretty terrible movie. Still grossed over a billion dollars worldwide and is the third highest grossing animated film of all time.

People will buy Let's Go, especially due to Pokemon Go compatibility I feel.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if the Direct will really hold much we'll care about at this point. Sakurai had never said anything to begin with and if there was some Smash info, then I feel he would have at least tweeted by now.

We know of Civilization 6, a Yoshi Game, and FFXV Pocket whatever. We also know that the direct was supposed to contain 3DS content information. We already know that this will be a Switch exclusive game, so depending on the amount of 3DS stuff revealed; be it DLC to older stuff, coming DLC, or new games, that may be the entirety of the Direct.

People keep pining for the Direct as if its a certainty that Smash info was coming in it, but that was never the case. There have been times in the past where general directs held Smash info, but there was also a larger gap between Announcement of the game and its intended release date. This game was hinted at in March of this year and it wasn't until June, 6 months til release, that it was finally confirmed to be a new game rather than a port. Then our next bit of info didn't come until August; only 4 months before release! At this point, since Sakurai had said all characters will be revealed before release, I think there's a fair possibility that every info dump for this game will come from Smash-only Directs, so that the most time, info, and focus can be given to it due to the impending release date.

Some of you are starving for info, demanding this general Direct, but we may not get actual info until next week.
Don't worry about it. There's Smash info. The blog didn't update the night the Direct was supposed to happen because they obviously had to pull a character trailer. It's silly to think the Direct won't have Smash info - it's this year's system-seller along with Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

The only "big titles" from that list are Pokemon and Smash - they'll be carrying the holiday like Odyssey was last year. But yeah, it's definitely a better holiday than last year.
I would argue Civilization is - not just as - but a bit close to big as Smash and Pokemon. The reaction I've seen online across the board when it leaked out that Civilization VI is coming to the Switch was insane. People went wild from the fact that now you practically can take Gandhi everywhere. Even PC users I've seen will no doubt buy this on the Switch.

I'm looking at this with the most broadest perspective possible, and while Pokemon and Smash are no doubt the biggest hitters, you have to at least recognize the other big hitters like Diablo III and Civilization that're gonna sell consoles, too.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It is the biggest media franchise in history.
That's probably why we get a Pokemon Newcomer Every Smash Game. (And I don't see this Game being any different. it will probably be the only Franchise to have a newcomer in every Smash game) It's probably Mandatory By the Pokemon Company or something like that... That's why I'm 98% sure a new Pokemon is a lock for this game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So question: Who do you think is the most competitively underrated character for Smash, for any game.
Personally I think :pikachumelee:, :yoshimelee:, and :4duckhunt: are super underrated. Melee Yoshi and Pikachu, even though people have acknowledged how good they can be, have barely any players aside from the big boys (Axe and Amsa), and as such severely lack the tournament results they could have, esp because their main players aren't the best in the world like ZeRo was for Diddy Kong.

In the case of Duck Hunt, I think that the Japanese playerbase overall has a generally better understanding of the tier list, and Duck Hunt is very popular in Japan, at least in comparison to America. He's many tiers higher in every Japanese tier list in comparison to the "official" Smash 4 tier list we have. Duck Hunt didn't get into EVO top 8 for no reason.
Tell me about the Japanese Tier list of Smash 4 please? Can't find one anywhere.

Speaking of Melee, I do agree with both Pikachu and Yoshi. :pikachumelee::yoshimelee: Both heavily underrated, especially seeing as what enormous growth Young Link made in recent years. :younglinkmelee: I also still think Melee Mario should be ranked here, as he's still a very good character but way overlooked by Dr.Mario instead. :mariomelee:

As for Brawl? I think lots have to do with certain characters being able to chain grab others, and them not making a chance because of it. The most terrible case; :dedede: vs :dk2:... Which sucks, cause Brawl DK was honestly my favorite incarnation of DK. So I say here, both Brawl DK, and Brawl Fox. :dk2::fox: Because both are mainly held back by chain grabs, and it's easy to counterpick a character that could help against that.

Smash 4? Here things are a bit more iffy but still... I say people underestimate quite a few characters. Mainly Greninja :4greninja:, and also Ike :4myfriends:, possibly Lucario as well :4lucario:. All have had their top players quit I recall, or just aren't played for other strange reasons.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You've played it?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a hardcore Pokemon game like usual but saying it's a bad game because of that is jumping to conclusions before even really playing the game. Coliseum and XD weren't hardcore Pokemon games either but they were fun as hell.
I mean

- Only limiting the game to the 151 Kanto Pokemon, with a single exception in the form of a new Pokemom (which will almost certainly be another Eeveelution, I can feel it)
- No trading
- No breeding
- Excessive handholding
- No wild encounters
- The fact that you can't access a gym without having a Pokemon that counters that gym's type, which goes against the entire idea of Pokemon

I don't play Pokemon like, at all, but this feels like a step backward in almost every way possible, even if it is a Gen I remake. In spite of that, I'm sure the game will do pretty well sales-wise since there are some... dedicated fans to put it as lightly as possible.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Case in point: the Minions movie.
Pretty terrible movie. Still grossed over a billion dollars worldwide and is the third highest grossing animated film of all time.

People will buy Let's Go, especially due to Pokemon Go compatibility I feel.
I actually laughed at a background gag in that movie.
They were in the 60’s and there was a big campaign billboard in the background that said “NIXON: A Name You Can Trust”.

That gave me a little chuckle.

Also that movie could’ve been a lot worse in general.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Thing is, Raito was able to bring :ultduckhunt: to top 8 at EVO yet he's still in the bottom half of the tier list.

I actually laughed at a background gag in that movie.
They were in the 60’s and there was a big campaign billboard in the background that said “NIXON: A Name You Can Trust”.

That gave me a little chuckle.

Also that movie could’ve been a lot worse in general.
Yeah I remember that. They also called one of the minions "a bald, jaundiced child" at one point. Other than those two moments, the movie was really forgettable.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You've played it?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a hardcore Pokemon game like usual but saying it's a bad game because of that is jumping to conclusions before even really playing the game. Coliseum and XD weren't hardcore Pokemon games either but they were fun as hell.
I don't expect it to be fun for us Pokémon veterans, but we're not the target audience anyways, it's for the absolute newcomers not just to Pokémon, but to console gaming in general. Its one job is to literally convert mobile gamers to core Nintendo fans, and I'm expecting it to do a damn good job at it.

Of course that means I'm not going to be buying it, but I hope it means that they'll chill with all the handholding and tutorials for the next core game and catter it more towards us veterans, as now they have a completely separate title for all that jazz.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's probably why we get a Pokemon Newcomer Every Smash Game. (And I don't see this Game being any different. it will probably be the only Franchise to have a newcomer in every Smash game) It's probably Mandatory By the Pokemon Company or something like that... That's why I'm 98% sure a new Pokemon is a lock for this game.
Game Freak is actually pretty laid back with Smash based off Sakurai's comments about choosing Greninja.

If I had to take a guess, Sakurai probably includes a new Pokemon character with each installment because there's so much potential to choose from. It's like a treasure trove of unique characters with each new generation of Pokemon. Obviously the popularity of the franchise helps justify his decisions, but I think we'd still be getting Pokemon newcomers even if it wasn't insanely popular.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So question: Who do you think is the most competitively underrated character for Smash, for any game.
Personally I think :pikachumelee:, :yoshimelee:, and :4duckhunt: are super underrated. Melee Yoshi and Pikachu, even though people have acknowledged how good they can be, have barely any players aside from the big boys (Axe and Amsa), and as such severely lack the tournament results they could have, esp because their main players aren't the best in the world like ZeRo was for Diddy Kong.

In the case of Duck Hunt, I think that the Japanese playerbase overall has a generally better understanding of the tier list, and Duck Hunt is very popular in Japan, at least in comparison to America. He's many tiers higher in every Japanese tier list in comparison to the "official" Smash 4 tier list we have. Duck Hunt didn't get into EVO top 8 for no reason.
Smash 64 I guess would be :luigi64::dk64:

Melee would have to be :gawmelee::mewtwomelee:. I don't see those two getting attention often for... obvious reasons.

Brawl? Probably :dk2::warioc:. Not all that familiar with the competitive scene (or lack thereof) there though so can't say for sure.

Smash 4? :4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So that "leak" talking about the Direct being announced in a few hours, did that turn out to be fake? I haven't heard anything about it coming true

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone saw or cares, but a special edition Lets Go! Switch was anounced. So thats one less thing for the direct

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When you’re so bored you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel for leaks.

OP is in Katakana which for some reason isn’t showing on mobile but a commenter said they are, in order (* denotes Japanese name used, like Isaac’s Japanese name is Robin):
Geno, Skull Kid, Bandana Waddle Dee, Incineroar*, Black Shadow, Soren*, Shadow, Isabelle*, Elma, Ken, Isaac*, Lloyd, Chorus Kids*, and a “Fighter Hayabusa” whom I can only assume is Ryu Hayabusa.

Hey, don’t look at me like that, it’s SOMETHING in the face of this drought...!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Those aren’t exactly what I’d call “big games”

Not on the level of a zelda, smash, or mario anyway. If the let’s go games were actual core pkmn games then yeah I could see it, but really smash is the only big unreleased 2018 title. The only other thing that arguably could be considered big would be the xenoblade2 dlc.
I mean, you may not have been excited about Octopath Traveler, but it sold over a million units in less than a month and dominated the month it released. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ni...-thanks-to-switch-and-octopath-traveler-sales This is actually better than XC2 performed in its first month.

The thing is, Nintendo can't release a Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Smash every single year. The Switch's launch year benefited from the Wii U being prematurely axed, since BotW would likely have been released a year earlier on the Wii U if the Switch weren't a thing. But Nintendo has a lot of properties that sell, including Kirby, Yoshi, Pokemon spinoffs and every Mario Kart/Party/Sports spinoff. We may not consider those "big games", but they keep the money rolling for Nintendo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

OP is in Katakana which for some reason isn’t showing on mobile but a commenter said they are, in order (* denotes Japanese name used, like Isaac’s Japanese name is Robin):
Geno, Skull Kid, Bandana Waddle Dee, Incineroar*, Black Shadow, Soren*, Shadow, Isabelle*, Elma, Ken, Isaac*, Lloyd, Chorus Kids*, and a “Fighter Hayabusa” whom I can only assume is Ryu Hayabusa.

If it doesn't include Isaac, Impa and Dixie, it's a fake. We all know that by this point don't we?

*sigh* "Leak" time again I guess.... :rolleyes:

I don't think we're gonna wait longer than another week honestly... but still people, try to show some more patience. For all we know, there won't even be Smash reveals. In fact, am gonna laugh my ass off if there isn't one.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Are they official?
I believe so.

And lol at people not putting Pokemon in the same tier as something like Odyssey. Let's Go (or any Pokemon game) will likely not end up as the Switch's best selling game, but cumulative mainline Pokémon sales on Switch will crush every other Nintendo IP (again speaking cumatively) by a mile, and it is a huge hardware mover as well.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Now I'm curious as to what the sales of every franchise in Smash is.

I wonder what the lowest is. Maybe Ice Climbers?
In terms of Franchises in Smash, This is the top 10 (according to this...)
1. Pokemon
2. Mario
3. PAC-MAN
4. Wii
5. Street Fighter
6. Final Fantasy
7. Sonic the Hedgehog
8. The Legend Of Zelda
9. Metal Gear
10. Super Smash Bros

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If it doesn't include Isaac, Impa and Dixie, it's a fake. We all know that by this point don't we?

*sigh* "Leak" time again I guess.... :rolleyes:

I don't think we're gonna wait longer than another week honestly... but still people, try to show some more patience. For all we know, there won't even be Smash reveals. In fact, am gonna laugh my *** off if there isn't one.
To be fair this one DID have Isaac (named Robin in the OP because Japanese name) but yeah it was all I could find leaks wise lately

Even the leak well is drying up, the horror!

D

Deleted member

Fighter Hayabusa is a wrestler from the NES Pro Wrestling game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Has anyone considered they might just push it way back to have more things to anounce?
Think the running time of the direct may be longer as a result too? I think the original one was 35 or so minutes before the...delay.

Fighter Hayabusa is a wrestler from the NES Pro Wrestling game.
I guess that would be the retro rep then...?

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Now I'm curious as to what the sales of every franchise in Smash is.

I wonder what the lowest is. Maybe Ice Climbers?
I mean, it kind of has to be. They've only ever had one game, originally made in 1985, that then got re-released a few times. And unlike Duck Hunt, it didn't benefit from being bundled with the console itself. Then they didn't get a Smash-bump for a new game like Pit did.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If anyone else is interested in talking about the highest grossing media franchises of all time, I made a link for the thread.
It really may impact what you consider "chances" for this game. Here is the thread!

For me: Tomb Raider, Angry Birds, Minecraft, Mortal Kombat, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Quest, Warcraft, Yokai-Watch, Skylanders, and Resident Evil, are all now on my highly likely list in some form or another. Well, to be fair, most were already up there, but some were just given a huge boost in my eyes.

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Think the running time of the direct may be longer as a result too? I think the original one was 35 or so minutes before the...delay.

I guess that would be the retro rep then...?
A lot of yhings are leaked or anounced already, so they might just do a quick overview of those, and introduce different things leaving at similar length

D

Deleted member

Also, someone mentioned Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles being announced? Yeah, that was announced at Sony's Pre-TGS event. Even if the Direct happened on the 6th, the official Final Fantasy Twitter account would've announced it anyways. This isn't "another thing the Direct lost."

I'm gonna be honest here about "Direct Leaks", even if one leak happens, they still won't get as much traction as them being officially announced. Even if Civilization VI got prematurely announced, when the Direct happens, way more people will know. And with how rapid-fire Directs are nowadays, I don't think the Direct at all is gonna be hurt by leaks or the delay at all, as we have more down the line. Besides, not that many games have been leaked in the first place.

And at the end of the day, people are still gonna watch it and be hype then complain about when the next Direct is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Has anyone considered they might just push it way back to have more things to anounce?
Not everything that gets revealed within the days following the Direct was intended to be included in it. You just can't assume that we already know most of the content through leaks.

Be patient. The Direct will air soon enough. We don't need to freak out everytime Nintendo breathes.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Doubtful. These things are meticulously planned, and they likely had release dates centered around their direct's announcement. Pushing back the direct considerably would also push back release dates significantly, and bump them into things that were planned to be released later.

More than likely, they're just waiting one full week, releasing it on Wednesday again, and editing the direct to fix dates, take out some third party surprises that already announced themselves due to the delay, and putting in a message about the delay itself.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
You've played it?

I'll probably wait for Gen8 next holiday season myself.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No game that names a move "Splishy Splash" isn't specifically made for babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom