• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
How is this controversial? If anything your gen 6 being your favourite gen is the most controversial opinion of them all.

And what's wrong with a controversial or unpopular opinion anyway? People have freedom of speech.

I said I will always be respectful but I will never listen to people who say 'please stop' just because they disagree with what I've said as long as anything I've said isn't offensive of course.
it's better just to say you don't mean any trouble which I'm pretty sure you don't.
unpopular opinions are the things that start discussions anyways.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I feel like we're all getting the Nintendo Direct equivalent of cabin fever.

Darn you! You beat me to it. You must have been reading my mind. Well good luck getting your ESP through this *puts on tinfoil hat* Haha, you can't read my mind now.
Here's a better question. How many people will lie and act like the announcements were super obvious and predictable?

Day before Direct: "Pretty sure we're getting a new Pokemon. Probably Incineroar."
Day after Direct: "Nothing really suprised me in the Direct. I already knew Skull Kid would be the newcomer."
All I will claim are my predictions, and I predict Elma, Shantae, or Isaac as the newcomer.

osby

Smash Obsessed
How is this controversial? If anything your gen 6 being your favourite gen is the most controversial opinion of them all.

And what's wrong with a controversial or unpopular opinion anyway? People have freedom of speech.

I said I will always be respectful but I will never listen to people who say 'please stop' just because they disagree with what I've said as long as anything I've said isn't offensive of course.
There is a difference between saying "i like this thing most" and "why people like things i don't!?"

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Another reason Gen 2 is the best Gen. All of Johto, all of Kanto, and the perfect difficulty. Not as easy as the succeeding gens but not as cheap as Gen 1. Gen 1's Wrap can **** right off.
Gen 2's difficulty was one of its weak points imo, the level curve is horribly tuned throughout. They tried to do it so that once you get the Ecruteak badge you can do the next three gyms in any order you'd like, but it ends up making things very undertuned no matter which one you pick last. Like, if you do the Rocket Hideout after getting 6 badges, which is probably the most natural way of progressing through the game, you'll still be facing Lvl 16 Rattatas with your Feraligatr. It also means that once you reach the Elite Four your Pokémon are horribly underleveled, resulting in having to grind a ton at Victory Road.

I love the game, but as far as difficulty goes its probably the worst tuned game in the series (R/S/E are also really bad in this regard).

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Another reason Gen 2 is the best Gen. All of Johto, all of Kanto, and the perfect difficulty. Not as easy as the succeeding gens but not as cheap as Gen 1. Gen 1's Wrap can **** right off.
Yeah I agree that Gen 2 was very balanced difficult wise and the game had a great post game with Kanto.

The gen 3 remakes of gen 1 were also really solid difficulty wise and fixed many off the issues in gen 1.

I feel that's the balanced difficulty.pokemom should be aimed at. Accessible yet a fun challenge for all difficulties to encourage some critical and strategic thinking skills.

In the past I had to think about damaging and putting a wild Pokemon to sleep, have low damage moves to to make sure they don't faint, and supply management of Poke Balls.

What do kids have to think about when shaking a joycon to catch a Pokemon? Teaches them nothing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really don't think it's so much that the games got simpler. We just got older.
Exactly.

People even add artificial difficulty (Nuzlocke) on Red/Blue/Yellow. So what does that mean? Have Red/Blue/Yellow always been this easy since day one or what? Or maybe we got older, got experience in those games, improved our problem-solving skills, etc.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Gen 2's difficulty was one of its weak points imo, the level curve is horribly tuned throughout. They tried to do it so than once you reach Ecruteak you can do the next three gyms in any order you'd like, but it ends making things very undertuned no matter which one you pick last. Like, if you do the Rocket Hideout after getting 6 badges, which is probably the most natural way of progressing through the game, you'll still be facing Lvl 16 Rattatas with your Feraligatr.
It also means that once you reach the Elite Four your Pokémon are horribly underleveled, resulting in having to grind a ton at Victory Road.

I love the game, but as far as difficulty goes its probably the worst tuned game in the series (R/S/E are also really bad in this regard).
Correct me if I am wrong, but the the wild Pokémon in Kanto were also ridiculously underleveled as well. In general going for 2 regions was cool, but really truncated other aspects of the game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
How does that contradict my post?

Both FE and Xenoblade have sold at least a million at one point.
Well not a contradiction actually just a remark. When they initially got in they weren't million sellers.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I thought Gen 7's difficulty was pretty good. Definitely a step up over Gen 6's ease and getting rid of frustrating mechanics, like HMs (never bring them back Gamefreak). I never thought it was too easy or ridiculously hard. In fact, fighting Kukui was pretty fun as he actually took out some of my in-game team.

Could do with a little less How to throw Pokeball tutorials tho.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Correct me if I am wrong, but the the wild Pokémon in Kanto were also ridiculously underleveled as well. In general going for 2 regions was cool, but really truncated other aspects of the game.
Yeah, the Wild Pokémon in Kanto have the same levels as they did in the original Pokémon Red routes for some bizarre reason. I have absolutely no idea why.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Don't forget that Let's Go is more directed towards Go fans. We're still getting the more traditional game next year.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Yeah, the Wild Pokémon in Kanto have the same levels as they did in the original Pokémon Red routes for some bizarre reason. I have absolutely no idea why.
Canon, what sense does it make.for new trainers from pallet.to go up against a level 70 Onyx after just setting out?

Trainers like Red were meant to be the real challenge.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah I agree that Gen 2 was very balanced difficult wise and the game had a great post game with Kanto.

The gen 3 remakes of gen 1 were also really solid difficulty wise and fixed many off the issues in gen 1.

I feel that's the balanced difficulty.pokemom should be aimed at. Accessible yet a fun challenge for all difficulties to encourage some critical and strategic thinking skills.

In the past I had to think about damaging and putting a wild Pokemon to sleep, have low damage moves to to make sure they don't faint, and supply management of Poke Balls.

What do kids have to think about when shaking a joycon to catch a Pokemon? Teaches them nothing.
You're right, this new generation will be really hopeless when they encountered with real life Pokemon without their smartphones.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Canon, what sense does it make.for new trainers from pallet.to go up against a level 70 Onyx after just setting out?

But the trainers all have lvl 50+ Pokémon, even the ones on Route 1, so those new trainers are going to be blasted to bits regardless. And canon should never take priority over good game design regardless.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Maybe but I know for a fact in the past rivals wouldn't heal our Pokemon before a fight, and the experience share didn't exist or was limited to one pokemom only and you had to find the thing in the first place.

It's little things like that which make the older games more of a challenge than latest entries.
But the examples you just listed still aren't really difficulty. Those are quality of life things. Is it really more difficult to fly back to the Pokecenter, then bike back out to where the rival is with your pokemon healed?

Pokemon is a simple game in which you build a team with as many types as possible, then switch your pokemon to match the weakness of the type you're playing. At its core, the game is just memorizing pokemon names and types-- and over-leveling your team by walking around patches of grass repeatedly. Difficulty is measured by your patience to grind and your ability to remember the type matchups.

The game is designed to hinder your progress as little as possible. Fainting has little to no real consequence. When you beat a trainer, that trainer stays beaten. Pokecenters are free. Gym leaders are notoriously one-type-only for the most part. So even a child can beat trainers one at a time, heal their pokemon after every win, and pick the obvious matchup advantage to beat every gym leader. It's been this way since Red/Blue. Not that there's anything wrong with that-- it's meant for children. But let's not pretend this is a recent thing with Gen 6/7.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So Famitsu’s only showing things from the 8/8 direct, has CoroCoro leaked anything yet?
It's most likely not going to feature any Smash content. Corocoro is aimed at young children. IIRC they didn't even covered Mario Odyssey because it didn't had a E rating (all due to those tank enemies apparently).

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
For everyone who says that Gen 6/7 is too easy, turn off the EXP share. Instantly gets 1000x harder, to the point where it’s made gen 6 my favorite (both XY and ORAS).

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Is it really more difficult to fly back to the Pokecenter, then bike back out to where the rival is with your pokemon healed?
They wouldn't give you the choice. For example blue even in gen 3 at the Pokemon tower or SS Anne. It initiates an automatic battle ready or not.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Got a crazy law assignment on and I need a break. Any new leaks happen real or fake?
Just this, found by Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura .
ジーノ
スタルキッド
バンダナワドルディ
ガオガエン
ブラックシャドー
セネリオ
シャドウ
しずえ
エルマ
ケン
ロビン
ロイド
コーラスメン
ファイターハヤブサ
Translates to:
Geno
Skull Kid
Bandanna Dee
Incineroar
Black Shadow
Soren
Shadow
Isabelle
Elma
Ken
Isaac
Lloyd
Chorus Men
Fighter Hayabusa
That's literally it.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
But the trainers all have lvl 50+ Pokémon, even the ones on Route 1, so those new trainers are going to be blasted to bits regardless. And canon should never take priority over good game design regardless.
Idk I'd rather personally lose to a trainer than end up like those kids mentioned in all those.pokedex entries.

IronTed

Smash Ace

That's a really weak defense. So canonically unless you live where the Pokémon are weak you're basically screwed?

That's ignoring the trainers have much stronger Pokémon, and assuming levels aren't just game mechanics anyway.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's most likely not going to feature any Smash content. Corocoro is aimed at young children. IIRC they didn't even covered Mario Odyssey because it didn't had a E rating (all due to those tank enemies apparently).
Those tank enemies were worth that higher rating imo

Same with those water squid things

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

> mfw I've roughly only played Diamond out of the mainline Pokemon series and don't know what everyone is talking about

...um, I....png

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
>Generation 2
>Perfect difficulty

Johto has one hell of a level gap, especially in the latter half.

If you want perfect difficult, I'd direct you to either Platinum or Black/White 2. Those games have perfect difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom