• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Pokemon Let's Go will definitely sell well.

Doesn't make it a good game.
The fact that you don't like a game (which also aims at a completely different demographic) doesn't make it a bad game eihter.

Case in point: I hate Monster Hunter, can't even finish the demo mission without getting bored.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The fact that you don't like a game (which also aims at a completely different demographic) doesn't make it a bad game eihter.

Case in point: I hate Monster Hunter, can't even finish the demo mission without getting bored.
Agreed. Hardcore fans hating it didn't make Brawl sell less or have a bad critical reception, either, for example.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Smash 64 I guess would be :luigi64::dk64:

Melee would have to be :gawmelee::mewtwomelee:. I don't see those two getting attention often for... obvious reasons.

Brawl? Probably :dk2::warioc:. Not all that familiar with the competitive scene (or lack thereof) there though so can't say for sure.

Smash 4? :4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr::4bowserjr:
Nah man Bojo is just as bad as people say he is

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why does this thread say possible spoilers? In all seriousness...

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Pokemon Colloseum and XD are much harder and better crafted games than gen 6 or 7.

Sorry but I don't get the demographic argument growing up we were playing games like Ghosts and Goblins, Ninja Gaiden black, and even world 8 of Mario 3.

Are kids these days less capable than us they can't stand a challenge? Sigh that's what happens when you have a generation that's wraps their kids in cotton wool.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Pokemon Colloseum and XD are much harder and better crafted games than gen 6 or 7.

Sorry but I don't get the demographic argument growing up we were playing games like Ghosts and Goblins, Ninja Gaiden black, and even world 8 of Mario 3.

Are kids these days less capable than us they can't stand a challenge? Sigh that's what happens when you have a generation that's wraps their kids in cotton wool.
Sounds like you're about to sit on a chair on your porch just to yell at children who pass by

GIT OFF MY LAWN

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
You should have seen the Xeno discussion last night.

In all seriousness, we weren't / aren't positive who all would have information regarding the direct with things like demos, Famitsu, etc., so that was posted for people who didn't want the Smash content of the leak revealed to them, though I'm pretty sure everyone's safe until the direct.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Thanks for making me feel younger.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Probably because of me; I got really annoyed with this thread around the Direct postponement, but moreso that this is a 'general thread,' that really should just be called a leaks thread. Since that is generally the discussion.
My thought was it made more sense to have an actual leaks thread, but because this site is not anonymous like Reddit or 4chan, it must be against the general regulations of the forum (in fear of what NIntendo would do, I assume).

Untouch

Smash Master
The only thing I can see hurting Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)'s chances is the fact that his name is already taken, I don't think it means there's no chance but I could see some confusion.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/

This thread is a good resource for Nintendo sales, based on these numbers virtually every Nintendo IP in Smash sold at least one million at one point (barring Mother apparently).
Well, not all of them. I mean it took FE a very long time to get to that point and Xenoblade only recently got to that mark thanks to being so early in the Switch's life (as well as Smash Bros exposure). Bayonetta wasn't a million seller as well until she was in Smash.

TIL if you want your series to sell over a million copies you need to be in Smash. So Samurai put my boy in so AW can come back to life.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Well that FF thing was confirmed by loz to be part of the direct. So either they are tweeting all of the content of that direct (or most of it), and we're gonna get… dunno… a mini direct or nothing at this point… or they have, somehow, plenty of reveals to still put in that direct. I really don't know what nintendo is doing, but certainly, and i hate to admit, tweeting the content is saving them the trouble of getting some stuff leaked by other sources....

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Sounds like you're about to sit on a chair on your porch just to yell at children who pass by

GIT OFF MY LAWN
It's true that I think everything is steadily getting worse and worse and I don't particular like much but I'm only 19 if I can beat games like Castlevania at 5 years old then kids of today should never have a problem with way easier games. This isn't just on me they're being pandered to way too much.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'm assuming something like Xenoblade, F-Zero, or Earthbound probably sold the least
I have to put my bets on F-Zero tbh, its one of those games that had little to no marketing when X and GX came out. That is ironic, since the original F-Zero ended up selling 2 million copies. I get the feeling that if F-Zero X had better marketing, it would sell a lot better.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only thing I can see hurting Ryu (Ninja Gaiden)'s chances is the fact that his name is already taken, I don't think it means there's no chance but I could see some confusion.
Why should that matter?

So we can't have two characters with the same name or something?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Pokemon Let's Go will definitely sell well.

Doesn't make it a good game.
Funny. I say the same thing about core Pokemon games.

I'm still of the belief that, unless you're doing user-end things to add artificial difficulty like Nuzlocke stuff, the game is clearly intended for children as it's incredibly easy and its presentation is dumbed down to an overly simple level.

Let's Go just dumbs it down a couple steps further and now it's too easy for the community, apparently.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
In Dead or Alive he is often just labelled as "Hayabusa" easy work around to just call him that. Or, y'know, just say his whole name.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Why should that matter?

So we can't have two characters with the same name or something?
It is potentially confusing, yes.

One of my friend's most wanted character is Ryu from the Breath of Fire series, and he wants him in a Marvel vs. Capcom game so badly, but he knows he'll never be considered because the Ryu is already in every game.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Let's Go just dumbs it down a couple steps further and now it's too easy for the community, apparently.
Not really fans have been complaining about the difficulty being increasingly easy for a while now. Taking out battling to catch Pokemon was a step too far!

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That wasn't the point of my showing the picture. (Also, the Christianity part was retconned with Ocarina of Time which established its own mythology and pantheon, which I appreciate much more because they had to create a unique religion and beings that influence the world. Though, the Christian undertones in Skyward Sword aren't counter-productive to said uniqueness.)

Just to state something, I'm a Christian. Do I need representation of that type? Not in the slightest. One of my favorite characters to play is Ganondorf, whom is more closely related with the Devil than anything else. He's kind of the anti-thesis to what I believe. But that isn't why he's in the game and it doesn't effect whether or not I play him.

Honestly, the whole representation in Smash thing needs to die. (Whether it be ideologies or repping certain games or what have you.) Characters rep themselves and nothing else.
I've never seen that artwork in my life, it appears to be fan art since it never listed or referenced on any Zelda resource site, it also doesn't match the artsyle of Link to the Past.

Link to the Past actually established that mythology, Ocarina of Time just greatly expanded on it. Most of it it was cut in the West due to Nintendo not allowing religious references, even made up ones, in any games on their systems at the time.
That why LttP is called Triforce of the Gods in Japan.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It's true that I think everything is steadily getting worse and worse and I don't particular like much but I'm only 19 if I can beat games like Castlevania at 5 years old then kids of today should never have a problem with way easier games. This isn't just on me they're being pandered to way too much.
It seems like every day you try to post a controversial opinion just to cause trouble... please stop

IronTed

Smash Ace
Well, not all of them. I mean it took FE a very long time to get to that point and Xenoblade only recently got to that mark thanks to being so early in the Switch's life (as well as Smash Bros exposure). Bayonetta wasn't a million seller as well until she was in Smash.

TIL if you want your series to sell over a million copies you need to be in Smash. So Samurai put my boy in so AW can come back to life.
How does that contradict my post?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/

This thread is a good resource for Nintendo sales, based on these numbers virtually every Nintendo IP in Smash sold at least one million at one point (barring Mother apparently).
Both FE and Xenoblade have sold at least a million at one point.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
It seems like every day you try to post a controversial opinion just to cause trouble... please stop
How is this controversial? If anything your gen 6 being your favourite gen is the most controversial opinion of them all.

And what's wrong with a controversial or unpopular opinion anyway? People have freedom of speech.

I said I will always be respectful but I will never listen to people who say 'please stop' just because they disagree with what I've said as long as anything I've said isn't offensive of course.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not really fans have been complaining about the difficulty being increasingly easy for a while now. Taking out battling to catch Pokemon was a step too far!
I can understand the step too far argument for Let's Go, really. But I went back and played Gen 2 then Gen 4/5 last year and... those are easy too. I didn't finish Platinum or White because I was just bored.

I really don't think it's so much that the games got simpler. We just got older.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Yeah, Nintendo is probably reannouncing the Direct on Wednesday and broadcasting it on Thursday at this point..

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Another reason Gen 2 is the best Gen. All of Johto, all of Kanto, and the perfect difficulty. Not as easy as the succeeding gens but not as cheap as Gen 1. Gen 1's Wrap can **** right off.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I can understand the step too far argument for Let's Go, really. But I went back and played Gen 2 then Gen 4/5 last year and... those are easy too. I didn't finish Platinum or White because I was just bored.

I really don't think it's so much that the games got simpler. We just got older.
Maybe but I know for a fact in the past rivals wouldn't heal our Pokemon before a fight, and the experience share didn't exist or was limited to one pokemom only and you had to find the thing in the first place.

It's little things like that which make the older games more of a challenge than latest entries.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So Famitsu’s only showing things from the 8/8 direct, has CoroCoro leaked anything yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom