• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
The people who get angry because they claim that Smash Ultimate is just a glorified rehash of Smash 4 and nothing else are the same people who still get angry because their moms don't put a cookie in their lunchboxes.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Special: "better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual. "
Okay, "Ultimate" is for marketing purposes but the word "Special" in the title implies that Sakurai is doing things differently this time around.
What is he doing different? Adding the characters people have been wanting for years.
Never said he wasn't doing anything different. Just saying that people attach to much value to the word "Ultimate" in the Western title.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
The people who get angry because they claim that Smash Ultimate is just a glorified rehash of Smash 4 and nothing else are the same people who still get angry because their moms don't put a cookie in their lunchboxes.
I didn't realize there were still morons who think Ultimate is a glorified rehash of Smash 4.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm just going to put my top 5 for every smash game out there so you can get a basic idea of my favorite newcomers by smash game.

SSB:
:jigglypuff64: > :dk64: > :samus64: > :link64: > :kirby64:

SSBM:
:ganondorfmelee: > :peachmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :younglinkmelee:

SSBB:
:snake: > :sonic: > :pt: > :metaknight: > :wolf:

SSB4:
:4ryu: > :4cloud: > :4megaman: > :4bowserjr: > :4lucina:

SSBU:
:ultridley: > :ultsimon: > :ultkrool: > :ultchrom: > :ultrichter:
I'm stealing your idea, please understand.
SSB: :mario64: > :luigi64: > :pikachu64: > :falcon64: > :dk64:

SSBM: :drmario: > :gawmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :peachmelee: > :pichumelee:

SSBB: :pt: > :sonic: > :ike: > :metaknight: > :snake:

SSB4: :4ryu: > :4villager: > :4robinf: > :4greninja: > :4corrinf:

SSBU (So Far): :ultkrool: > :ultrichter: > :ultsimon: > :ultridley: > :ultdarksamus:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Forgive me for not elaborating on my point.

Had there been no delay due to the Hokkaido earthquake, 9/11 would've been a completely viable day for the direct. However, there decision to delay the direct because of the Hokkaido earthquake sets precedent and whether or not you believe people should criticize Nintendo for doing the Direct on a tragic day for America when they didn't for Japan, you know there WILL be some people who criticize them for that. NoA will knows of this and advise NoJ to avoid that date which ultimately shouldn't be too much of a problem for them.
The difference is that the disaster literally happened on the day of the direct. It's wasn't historically a bad day.

By your logic, I shouldn't have to go to work on 9/11 either but guess what? It was 17 years ago. Life goes on.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm just going to put my top 5 for every smash game out there so you can get a basic idea of my favorite newcomers by smash game.

SSB:

SSBM:
:ganondorfmelee: > :peachmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :younglinkmelee:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
Hmm... Let me try...

SSB
5.:mario64:
4.:kirby64:
3.:jigglypuff64:
2.:falcon64:
1.:pikachu64:

SSBM
5.:peachmelee:
4.:zeldamelee:
3.:younglinkmelee:
2.:pichumelee:
1.:mewtwomelee:

SSBB
5.:ike:
4.:dedede:
3.:snake:
2.:lucario:
1.:sonic:

SSB4
5.:4megaman:
4.:4villager:
3.:4greninja:
2. :rosalina:
1.:4corrinf:

SSBU
5.:ultdarksamus:
4.:ultchrom:
3.:ultdaisy:
2.:ultsimon::ultrichter:
1.:ultinkling:

T-Hell

Smash Lord

SSB:

SSBM:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
Amazing. I feel like playing this, but I will not put them in any order:

SSB - :yoshi64: - :pikachu64: - :luigi64: - :ness64: - :samus64:

SSBM - :gawmelee: - :icsmelee: - :bowsermelee: - :falcomelee: - :mewtwomelee:

SSBB - :wario: - :rob: - :pt: - :wolf: - :olimar:

SSB4 - :4villager: - :4bowserjr: - :4pacman: - :4duckhunt: - :4ryu:

SSBU - :ultkrool: - :ultridley: - :ultsimon: - :ultdarksamus: - :ultdaisy:

StormC

Smash Hero
That said, there definitely seems to be a big focus on global popularity for Smash this time. That's why I have doubts about a Rhythm Heaven character because the series is pretty niche outside of Japan. It doesn't hold a candle to Donkey Kong Country, Metroid, Castlevania, or Splatoon in that regard.

Maybe I'll be totally wrong, it's probably the highest profile modern Nintendo IP not in Smash, but... I don't know. It's just a gut feeling.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Forgive me for not elaborating on my point.

Had there been no delay due to the Hokkaido earthquake, 9/11 would've been a completely viable day for the direct. However, there decision to delay the direct because of the Hokkaido earthquake sets precedent and whether or not you believe people should criticize Nintendo for doing the Direct on a tragic day for America when they didn't for Japan, you know there WILL be some people who criticize them for that. NoA will knows of this and advise NoJ to avoid that date which ultimately shouldn't be too much of a problem for them.
The idea that SOME people will have issue can be applied to LITERALLY anything.

It's also comparing a tragedy that happened basically that day to a tragedy 17 years ago. You'd think they'd want to put efforts into recovery for their target audience. It was obvious they'd delay that day because it JUST HAPPENED.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976

SSB:

SSBM:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
Better than just doing it for 4.

64:
:kirby64: > :fox64: > :falcon64: > :samus64: > :luigi64:
Melee:
:mewtwomelee: > :ganondorfmelee: > :roymelee: > :zeldamelee: > :falcomelee:/:pichumelee:
Brawl:
:rob: > :olimar: > :pt: > :snake: > :ike:
4:
:4shulk: > :4bayonetta: > :4cloud: > :4megaman: > :rosalina:
Ultimate:
:ultridley: > :ultsimon: > :ultkrool: > :ultdarksamus: > :ultinkling:

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Never said he wasn't doing anything different. Just saying that people attach to much value to the word "Ultimate" in the Western title.
At the end of the day both titles "Ultimate" and "Special" have the same meaning in this context because it's the same game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The idea that SOME people will have issue can be applied to LITERALLY anything.

It's also comparing a tragedy that happened basically that day to a tragedy 17 years ago. You'd think they'd want to put efforts into recovery for their target audience. It was obvious they'd delay that day because it JUST HAPPENED.
Besides, consider the fans that probably got killed in said tragedy, they're gone forever, not knowing if their requests made it... :(

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
The difference is that the disaster literally happened on the day of the direct. It's wasn't historically a bad day.

By your logic, I shouldn't have to go to work on 9/11 either but guess what? It was 17 years ago. Life goes on.
I agree. That's why I said 9/11 would be a completely viable date had the earthquake delay not happened.

All I'm saying is Nintendo is just going to avoid some petty hate with relative ease by just not having the Direct on Tuesday.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just want to let everyone know right now that none of the Smash Ultimate newcomers so far have been sword wielders. :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool:

In fact out of the most likely newcomers, Isaac and Elma are the only likely potential newcomers to wield swords, and they don’t even use them all time nor do they use them in a manner similar to the others. That’s only 2 newcomers, and Elma and Isaac use them in a very distinct manner compared to everyone else.

It’s kinda crazy when you think about it.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah, I think some of us are looking at the Dates that have had something terrible/not so good happen on them a little too closely.

If you cancelled or didn't do something because something bad happened on it, you probably wouldn't have too many options. If you cancel for something bad, why X but not Y? I think we're overlooking the fact that the main reason it was cancelled was probably because Nintendo is a business and wants their consumers to be able to view the program. It's not necessarily entirely or only out of the kindness of their hearts. It wouldn't make sense to show your big broadcast while your country is dealing with something like that. It's a mix of both parts, not one or the other.

I can attest to several stories of 9/11/2001 in which teachers for example went home, students were sent home, because some thought the USA was under full scale attack. That was the day of the attack. It's now 17 years later. The world doesn't stop because something bad happens, it's the job of the world to move on, but not forget what happened.

Nintendo is not going to avoid 9/11 because of something that happened 17 years ago. That's not the same thing.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I am curious what the reaction to the final roster will be. I think long-term fans will be largely pleased but newer ones might not like the focus on classic characters. There's also a strange sense of "why isn't Japan getting anyone they want?" Nevermind that the veterans, Inkling, and K. Rool were all popular in Japan, why do they care so much about the Japanese fans and outright speaking for them? It feels more like people tried to rely on vague "Japanese popularity" for their wanted characters to get in, and when they didn't, they needed a boogeyman.

Darn those stupid fat evil lizards taking up so much roster space!
I think the reaction to the roster won't be anywhere nearly as toxic as previously, because support between characters is much more scattered now, with Brawl and Smash 4 the main criticism came from a lot of people who could rally together behind the huge Ridley/Geno/K. Rool banners, and they could all use similar arguments against it, now there's nothing like that.

Say that the current roster was the final one, you wouldn't see Skull Kid and Elma fans band together in criticism of the roster, because their characters depend on very different metrics in order to get in and bring very different things to the roster aswell, and I think that's true for pretty much every frontrunner atm. The closest to an actual alliance in that regard would probably be Geno and Isaac fans, but the latter fanbase really doesn't have a history of causing trouble.

That, and the absolutely biggest requests have been fulfilled, that just hasn't been the case before now, and it'll also be the first time we'll get it presented in an official manner instead of it just randomly dropping on the internet one day without anyone being prepared for it. For once I'm actually pretty optimistic about how people will react to the final reveal.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I am curious what the reaction to the final roster will be. I think long-term fans will be largely pleased but newer ones might not like the focus on classic characters. There's also a strange sense of "why isn't Japan getting anyone they want?" Nevermind that the veterans, Inkling, and K. Rool were all popular in Japan, why do they care so much about the Japanese fans and outright speaking for them? It feels more like people tried to rely on vague "Japanese popularity" for their wanted characters to get in, and when they didn't, they needed a boogeyman.

Darn those stupid fat evil lizards taking up so much roster space!
Don't worry I think Bandanna Waddle Dee will be added just to appease Japanese fans...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I agree. That's why I said 9/11 would be a completely viable date had the earthquake delay not happened.

All I'm saying is Nintendo is just going to avoid some petty hate with relative ease by just not having the Direct on Tuesday.
I mean, people gave them petty hate when Waluigi didn't get in, it's not like they haven't gotten through it before

You're missing the point of what I SAID. These two situations have literally nothing to do with each other. The earthquake JUST happened and they are currently in the process of rebuilding and recovering. America's already rebuilt and recovered, it's been 17 damn years. It's just a day. Do you think they won't hold future directs on September 6th in the future? Or any other day? Hell, every day sucks to someone because people die every day.

Do you see how foolishly foolish your argument is?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Don't worry I think Bandanna Waddle Dee will be added just to appease Japanese fans...
I hope so, but Sakurai is making me nervous with how he handles Kirby. If he showed an AT like... Magolor I'd feel a lot better about it, like the Klaptrap one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, the Direct should either be sometime before/around Wednesday, unless the Famitsu issue turns out not to have any sensitive info. Otherwise, Thursday is kosher enough. Or sometime during the second half of the month.

Speaking of...

Think they'll just skip the PotD again today as well?
That is the deciding factor. If they show anything at all, then we could start having relief.

Iridium

Smash Hero

SSB:

SSBM:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
SSB: :link64: > :fox64: > :pikachu64: > :samus64: > :yoshi64: ( Zinith Zinith somehow sold me on Yoshi overall)

SSBM: :linkmelee: > :foxmelee: > :marthmelee: > :roymelee: > :mewtwomelee: (HM: :falcomelee::sheikmelee::younglinkmelee:)

SSBB: :link2: > :lucario: > :sonic: > :pit: > :toonlink: (HM: :metaknight::fox::marth::ike::falco:)

SSB4: :4link: > :4greninja: > :4lucario: > :4tlink: > :4sonic: (HM: :4mewtwo::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4marth::4myfriends::4pikachu::4sheik::4feroy::4sheik::4myfriends::4megaman:. A lot, and even more, can go here.)

SSBU: :ultlink: > :ultgreninja: > :ultlucario: > :ultmewtwo: > :ulttoonlink: (HM: :ultpit::ultmarth::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultshulk::ultsheik::ultroy::ultmetaknight::ultike::ultcorrin::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpokemontrainer::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultyoshi::ultridley::ultpikachu::ultdarkpit:. As I said before, this could be my secondary list. I like a lot of characters at this point, and the newcomers might make the list larger).

I didn't get to play many Smash games, so I showed who I would have chosen.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner of the Tales poll from the last few days (I got to stop with the breaks) is Lloyd Irving. As expected, Mr Lowell (yuri) is the second most popular Smash choice. Leon did better than Cless in the end of the day.

Next will be a poll focused on modern Namco series, some more recent than others. The choices are Kite from .Hack, Klonoa, Alisa from God Eater, and The Chosen Undead from Dark Souls (I know he is from From Software, roll with it).

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

SSB:

SSBM:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
Gonna steal your idea aswell
SSB:
:link64:>:fox64:>:pikachu64:>:ness64:>:luigi64:
SSBM:
:zeldamelee:>:sheikmelee:>:younglinkmelee:>:ganondorfmelee:>:pichumelee:
SSBB:
:toonlink:>:pt:>:snake:>:wolf:>:zerosuitsamus:
SSB4:
:4villager:>:4palutena:>:4megaman:>:4cloud:>:4corrinf:
SSBU:
:ultridley:>:ultinkling:>:ultsimon::ultrichter:>:ultkrool:>:ultdarksamus:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Nintendo stopped the Direct because it was a recent event, that's it. Schools and businesses don't close for 9/11 so why should Nintendo?

potato69

Smash Apprentice
That said, there definitely seems to be a big focus on global popularity for Smash this time. That's why I have doubts about a Rhythm Heaven character because the series is pretty niche outside of Japan. It doesn't hold a candle to Donkey Kong Country, Metroid, Castlevania, or Splatoon in that regard.

Maybe I'll be totally wrong, it's probably the highest profile modern Nintendo IP not in Smash, but... I don't know. It's just a gut feeling.
As a huge Rhythm Heaven fan who desperately wants a character from the series, I share the same doubts. A Rhythm Heaven character could be seen as an odd choice among the likes of K. Rool and Inklings, which were popular and heavily requested everywhere. I do think a RH character has a chance, though. Sakurai works in mysterious ways.

Untouch

Smash Master
The reaction to "nintendo taking so long to announce the direct's date" is funny, in business days, it's only actually been 1 day.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The winner of the Tales poll from the last few days (I got to stop with the breaks) is Lloyd Irving. As expected, Mr Lowell (yuri) is the second most popular Smash choice. Leon did better than Cless in the end of the day.

Next will be a poll focused on modern Namco series, some more recent than others. The choices are Kite from .Hack, Klonoa, Alisa from God Eater, and The Chosen Undead from Dark Souls (I know he is from From Software, roll with it).

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.
If I actually used Twitter, I would have voted Klonoa.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to paint myself as some American supremacist who thinks 9/11 should be treated with respect by everyone. All I'm saying is Nintendo will avoid a little extra hate by not doing it on that day and instead choosing another one.

Let me provide an example: Nintendo decides they want to the Direct on either Monday or Tuesday. It hardly makes a difference to them what day they do it on. They then consider, if we do it on Tuesday, September 11th, we may get some hate coming our way because we held the Direct for a national tragedy in Japan, but not for the day of a national tragedy in the US. Nintendo then decides they do the Direct on Monday it makes no difference to them, but they avoid that little bit of petty hate that would've came their way if they did it on Tuesday.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom