• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I just want to let everyone know right now that none of the Smash Ultimate newcomers so far have been sword wielders. :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool:

In fact out of the most likely newcomers, Isaac and Elma are the only likely potential newcomers to wield swords, and they don’t even use them all time nor do they use them in a manner similar to the others. That’s only 2 newcomers, and Elma and Isaac use them in a very distinct manner compared to everyone else.

It’s kinda crazy when you think about it.
Even then, Isaac has a whole lot to offer beyond just using swords, and isn't exclusively a sword wielder either. For all we know, he may not even have a single/barely any sword related attacks in his kit. And Elma is pretty unique in that she not only uses two blades simultaneously, she also can go guns akimbo.

I mean there's also Lloyd Irving, but I have not played his game, nor am I certain about his chances, soooo...

Roberk

Smash Champion
Forgive me for not elaborating on my point.

Had there been no delay due to the Hokkaido earthquake, 9/11 would've been a completely viable day for the direct. However, there decision to delay the direct because of the Hokkaido earthquake sets precedent and whether or not you believe people should criticize Nintendo for doing the Direct on a tragic day for America when they didn't for Japan, you know there WILL be some people who criticize them for that. NoA will knows of this and advise NoJ to avoid that date which ultimately shouldn't be too much of a problem for them.
Still completely different contexts.

9/11 was 17 years ago, while the earthquake happened under 24 hours before the Direct.

There could've been employees with families in the earthquake and with Hokkaido losing power there were millions of people that weren't going to watch the Direct, delaying the Direct had some precedence as a business decision as well.

People had literally just died and are still missing, but America has been moving on from 9/11 for the past decade and a half.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Even if they held the direct on the 11th, it’d be the 10th for us Americans wouldn’t it? Won’t be much of a problem then.

really hoping the direct is tomorrow please Nintendo

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm just going to put my top 5 for every smash game out there so you can get a basic idea of my favorite newcomers by smash game.

SSB:
:jigglypuff64: > :dk64: > :samus64: > :link64: > :kirby64:

SSBM:
:ganondorfmelee: > :peachmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :younglinkmelee:

SSBB:
:snake: > :sonic: > :pt: > :metaknight: > :wolf:

SSB4:
:4ryu: > :4cloud: > :4megaman: > :4bowserjr: > :4lucina:

SSBU:
:ultridley: > :ultsimon: > :ultkrool: > :ultchrom: > :ultrichter:
Smash 64:
:jigglypuff64: > :falcon64: > :samus64: > :mario64: > :ness64:

Melee:
:falcomelee: > :ganondorfmelee: > :sheikmelee: > :marthmelee: > :bowsermelee:

Brawl:
:metaknight: > :ike: > :dedede: > :warioc: > :snake:

Smash 4:
:4lucina: > :4greninja: > :4megaman: > :4littlemac: > :4villager:

Ultimate:
:ultridley: > :ultkrool: > :ultdarksamus: > :ultsimon: > :ultchrom:

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm not trying to paint myself as some American supremacist who thinks 9/11 should be treated with respect by everyone. All I'm saying is Nintendo will avoid a little extra hate by not doing it on that day and instead choosing another one.

Let me provide an example: Nintendo decides they want to the Direct on either Monday or Tuesday. It hardly makes a difference to them what day they do it on. They then consider, if we do it on Tuesday, September 11th, we may get some hate coming our way because we held the Direct for a national tragedy in Japan, but not for the day of a national tragedy in the US. Nintendo then decides they do the Direct on Monday it makes no difference to them, but they avoid that little but of petty hate that would've came their way if they did it on Tuesday.

That's all I'm trying to say.
Like I said before, if the direct is on 9/11 in Japan, it'd be on 9/10 in America, there would be no problem.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think the Direct will contain a single newcomer reveal or an entire Smash segment?

I'm leaning towards a single reveal, because the Smash Direct is barely a month ago.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I just want the Direct to happen before Tuesday because i have a date on that day.
A date with the doctor ;_;

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Do you guys think the Direct will contain a single newcomer reveal or an entire Smash segment?

I'm leaning towards a single reveal, because the Smash Direct is barely a month ago.
I mean, the game comes out in 3 months, they'd need to have every opportunity available to them to reveal new characters.

Personally, while I'm not going to go crazy with actual newcomers, I think 1-2 echoes is also very possible.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, the game comes out in 3 months, they'd need to have every opportunity available to them to reveal new characters.

Personally, while I'm not going to go crazy with actual newcomers, I think 1-2 echoes is also very possible.
That and remember, July had NO new Smash announcements whatsoever

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Imagine if after all this, there’s no smash info in the direct... But the chances of that are very small tbh.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

It's a Nintendo direct that's about a half-hour long, correct?

I can't imagine they'd spend most of it on Smash. I'm sure there's gonna be a little info besides a reveal or two, but not that much.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Even then, Isaac has a whole lot to offer beyond just using swords, and isn't exclusively a sword wielder either. For all we know, he may not even have a single/barely any sword related attacks in his kit. And Elma is pretty unique in that she not only uses two blades simultaneously, she also can go guns akimbo.

I mean there's also Lloyd Irving, but I have not played his game, nor am I certain about his chances, soooo...
Lloyd uses TWO swords.

So that alone is a standout enough.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Nothing else is going on so...
Favorite Smash 4 newcomer?
:ultpacman: I didn't want Pac-Man as much as I wanted King K. Rool at all, but I thought Pac would be a very nice addition since Namco was co-developing Smash 4. Plus, seeing Pac-Man makes me happy since he is such a familar face, with a fun and simple design to boot. Definitely one of my favorite third party additions to Smash next to Sonic.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I'm just going to put my top 5 for every smash game out there so you can get a basic idea of my favorite newcomers by smash game.

SSB:

SSBM:
:ganondorfmelee: > :peachmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :younglinkmelee:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
Might as well do this one too:
SSB:
:pikachu64: > :link64: > :mario64: > :yoshi64: > :samus64:

SSBM:
:younglinkmelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :bowsermelee: > :zeldamelee: > :gawmelee:

SSBB:
:snake: > :pt: > :zerosuitsamus: > :sonic: > :wolf:

SSB4:
:4robinm: > :4duckhunt: > :4ryu: > :4lucina: > :4corrinf:

SSBU (so far):
:ultridley: > :ultrichter: > :ultkrool: >:ultdarksamus: > :ultinkling:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I feel like people here are seriously sleeping on him. He's been rather steady pick from both Japanese and Western side if the newest Japanese poll and Mii Costume from before is to go by.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

SSB:

SSBM:

SSBB:

SSB4:

SSBU:
This one looks fun

64: (Never played it, but my current main is an original 8)
:link64: :fox64: :pikachu64: :falcon64: :dk64:

Melee:
:zeldamelee: :ganondorfmelee: :mewtwomelee: :peachmelee: :younglinkmelee:

Brawl:
:pt: :ike: :lucario: :sonic: :wolf:

For: (This one's tough - I was not a fan of most 4 newcomers)
:4robinm: :4duckhunt: :4littlemac: :4bowserjr: :4palutena:

Ultimate:
:ultkrool: :ultridley: :ultdaisy: :ultchrom: :ultrichter:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, the Direct's gotta happen sometime this week, and it's getting lots of hype for merely having likely a brief mention of Smash content + a reveal.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If they delay today's blog as well, I wonder if it would have been an Echo fighter.

1 newcomer + 1 Echo seems pretty safe for the Direct.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Alright so what match-ups will you look forward to with the veterans and current Ultimate newcomers?

For me:
:ultbowser:vs :ultridley: vs :ultkrool: vs :ultyoshi: vs :ultpokemontrainer: vs :ultgreninja: vs :ultbowserjr:
Full fledged reptile/amphibian battle!

:ultryu:vs :ultsnake:vs:ultrichter:vs:ultroy:vs:ultike:
Bandana Squad! (Just need Waddle Dee)

:ultpichu: vs :ultridley:
Cute vs Creepy

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I mean, people gave them petty hate when Waluigi didn't get in, it's not like they haven't gotten through it before

You're missing the point of what I SAID. These two situations have literally nothing to do with each other. The earthquake JUST happened and they are currently in the process of rebuilding and recovering. America's already rebuilt and recovered, it's been 17 damn years. It's just a day. Do you think they won't hold future directs on September 6th in the future? Or any other day? Hell, every day sucks to someone because people die every day

Do you see how foolishly foolish your argument is?
Developing Waluigi as a character to avoid petty hate is a process that would have taken months of work to do. Avoiding petty hate for doing the Direct on 9/11 is a simple as posting their pre-recored video on one day rather then another day.

And I agree with your point that I supposedly missed. If Nintendo wants to do the Direct on 9/11, they should. The situations are completely different, one happened 17 years ago and people have moved on while the other is a recent tragic event that people are still recovering from.

But Nintendo will make a simple easy decision to slightly improve their quality of life by avoiding some petty hate they may get for having the direct on 9/11.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Talking about mains/top 5, eh?

64: :ultjigglypuff: > :ultfalcon: > :ultmario: > :ultkirby: > :ultpikachu:

Melee: :ultdoc: > :ultmarth: > :ultjigglypuff: > :ultlink: > :ultpichu:

Brawl: :ultwolf: > :ulticeclimbers: > :ultmarth: > :ultdk: > :ultsheik:

Sm4sh: :ultfalco: > :ultdk: > :ultrob: > :ultike: > :ultfalcon:

Ultimate: TBC.

Every game changes the feel of characters. It's why I envy people who can stick to one character throughout 4-5 games.

Leaning more towards a single reveal 'cause this is a general direct. Could be a bit more, considering Sakurai wants to reveal everyone before release (which I still don't really agree with, but eh)

amageish

Smash Master
I am curious what the reaction to the final roster will be. I think long-term fans will be largely pleased but newer ones might not like the focus on classic characters. There's also a strange sense of "why isn't Japan getting anyone they want?" Nevermind that the veterans, Inkling, and K. Rool were all popular in Japan, why do they care so much about the Japanese fans and outright speaking for them? It feels more like people tried to rely on vague "Japanese popularity" for their wanted characters to get in, and when they didn't, they needed a boogeyman.

Darn those stupid fat evil lizards taking up so much roster space!
I'm sure the illogic of "X stole Y's spot" will be applied no matter what the final roster is - people do it all the time. Heck, I've already seen some people argue that Inkling was stealing the spot of an older character, which is kinda insane given how Splatoon's success.

As for the Japan discussion, the average person saying "We're underestimating the chances of character X because Japanese fans like them" probably wouldn't argue "SAKURAI BETRAYED JAPAN" if they don't get in - as that argument is stupid on its own, and especially stupid when made by someone who probably doesn't speak Japanese on a western forum. I'm sure some people will overreact like that though, because internet.

So, yeah. The internet will be angry because it's the internet, but I imagine most fans, old and new, will be satisfied, as it's hard to argue that we haven't hit a majority of the most-requested characters - with some bonus echoes to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom