• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Nothing else is going on so...
Favorite Smash 4 newcomer?
Definitely Robin, I love that we have a "battle-mage" on the roster, and I'm happy that an FE character got a couple mechanics that represented the series.
Also Duck Hunt was great too, not just for his unique playstyle, but especially coupled with the complete disbelief that happened when the ESRB leak came out.

As for gameplay, despite Robin being one of my secondaries, personally it's Lucina. I love that her alts reference all the girls in Awakening, and I just prefer her consistency and room for being reckless as opposed to Marth. Like before Smash 4, I always dug his moveset, just hated the tipper mechanic.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Nothing else to say so I’m posting my most wanted list for Smash Ultimate:

1. Tails
2. Rayman
3. Shantae
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. Geno

Out of these Geno is definitely most likely, the others I’d say all have about the same chance of making it in.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Robin and Lucina. I remember watching the trailer numerous times because it was so hype.

Of course, Shulk isn't far behind, as he was pretty much revealed on my birthday. Best present ever.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
If it doesn't mean anything then why is it in the title? They could've just used "Super Smash Bros for Switch" instead.
Because "Ultimate" sounds cooler than "Special" to a Western audience. Probably no other reason than that.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'm just going to put my top 5 for every smash game out there so you can get a basic idea of my favorite newcomers by smash game.

SSB:
:jigglypuff64: > :dk64: > :samus64: > :link64: > :kirby64:

SSBM:
:ganondorfmelee: > :peachmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :younglinkmelee:

SSBB:
:snake: > :sonic: > :pt: > :metaknight: > :wolf:

SSB4:
:4ryu: > :4cloud: > :4megaman: > :4bowserjr: > :4lucina:

SSBU:
:ultridley: > :ultsimon: > :ultkrool: > :ultchrom: > :ultrichter:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Because "Ultimate" sounds cooler than "Special" to a Western audience.
That's a very redundant reason if you ask me. When you name something, it has to reference the thing you're naming, not because "it sounds cool".

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:ultlucina: She might just be a clone, but she ended up being my second most played character, although most of those games were just relaxed games with friends.
Favorite unique newcomer was :ultgreninja: until they nerfed him to the point where he can barely string things together anymore. Also got a kill online with his taunt.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Just a little thing to note... When everything is all said and done, one of the fanbases will be upset that their character didn't get in . Actually, more than one... A lot of fanbases will be upset. There are like 12 Major Frontrunners being discussed and probably like only 3 more newcomer spots. And it could be your character. So I bring this up just to say that If your character doesn't get in, Don't get too angry and don't harass Sakurai. Because at the end of the day, It's His game, and it's his rules. He chooses the characters. He probably wants everyone to be happy and we know that's not possible so don't get too mad...

That's all

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Just a little thing to note... When everything is all said and done, one of the fanbases will be upset that their character didn't get in . Actually, more than one... A lot of fanbases will be upset. There are like 12 Major Frontrunners being discussed and probably like only 3 more newcomer spots. And it could be your character. So I bring this up just to say that If your character doesn't get in, Don't get too angry and don't harass Sakurai. Because at the end of the day, It's His game, and it's his rules. He chooses the characters. He probably wants everyone to be happy and we know that's not possible so don't get too mad...

That's all
Give me Geno and i'm happy.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Guess I gotta say this again.

Super Smash Brothers. Ultimate releases on the Nintendo Switch on December 7th, the date Pearl Harbor was bombed.
Seriously. I don't get why everyone thinks 9/11 is this day no one can do anything.

Take it from a former New Yorker who lost a family member on 9/11. It was 17 years ago, Japan isn't simply gonna care about a date.

Edit: Yikes, my phone is terrible and prematurely sending responses.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bayonetta.

Bayonetta 2 was one of the reasons why I bought a Wii U, and while I would have loved to see her get into Smash at some point, I figured it was a pipe dream at best. (she was still one of the characters that I voted for in the Smash Ballot; I figured it might help to get her considered for Smash 5) Seeing her added as the final character, ESPECIALLY after being led to believe that a fourth Kid Icarus character would be treated as the ballot winner, and seeing how well she had been translated from her source material was an extremely exciting moment for me.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

That's all
At least people can't moan that he didn't try and give fans what they want this time, because god knows he's tried, but at the end of the day there are only so many newcomers they can realistically add. I hope some of the long-timers like Geno and Isaac can get in, they've waited long enough as is.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
That's a very redundant reason if you ask me. When you name something, it has to reference the thing you're naming, not because "it sounds cool".
Ah

But of course you know the western releases of Kirby games make Kirby look 'cooler' on the box art, right?

'Ultimate' is more marketable than 'Special' in the west.

Pakky

Smash Hero
When people talk about retro reps, no one brings up this man

Sometimes I feel like DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon except with icons instead of leaks.

Its humbling, so thank you all, even though I sometimes spiral out and the summon you requested turns into Leisure Suit Larry or something.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
But that fact remains that "Ultimate" wasn't the original title. So clearly, Sakurai and his team's vision of the game is different from anyone who thinks that the word "ultimate" defines the game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Toss-up between Pac-Man and Robin for me. Pac-Man has such fun feel on his gameplay style, while Robin's overall moveset flows super-well on him and is pretty powerful (if only he didn't have poor mobility among other things...)

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Guess I gotta say this again.

Super Smash Brothers. Ultimate releases on the Nintendo Switch on December 7th, the date Pearl Harbor was bombed.
>Not doing the Direct on 9/11 because it's an old American tragedy.

View attachment 162857
Forgive me for not elaborating on my point.

Had there been no delay due to the Hokkaido earthquake, 9/11 would've been a completely viable day for the direct. However, there decision to delay the direct because of the Hokkaido earthquake sets precedent and whether or not you believe people should criticize Nintendo for doing the Direct on a tragic day for America when they didn't for Japan, you know there WILL be some people who criticize them for that. NoA will knows of this and advise NoJ to avoid that date which ultimately shouldn't be too much of a problem for them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seriously. I don't get why everyone thinks 9/11 is this day no one can do anything.

Take it from a former New Yorker who lost a family member on 9/11. It was 17 years ago, Japanese isn't simply gonna care about a da
Great, we got a specific Freakazoid villain nabbing posters before they finish their sentences now.

Ah

But of course you know the western releases of Kirby games make Kirby look 'cooler' on the box art, right?

'Ultimate' is more marketable than 'Special' in the west.
Given that, it's a wonder that Star Allies' US release lets him be happy for once. That happens rarely.

Forgive me for not elaborating on my point.

Had there been no delay due to the Hokkaido earthquake, 9/11 would've been a completely viable day for the direct. However, there decision to delay the direct because of the Hokkaido earthquake sets precedent and whether or not you believe people should criticize Nintendo for doing the Direct on a tragic day for America when they didn't for Japan, you know there WILL be some people who criticize them for that. NoA will knows of this and advise NoJ to avoid that date which ultimately shouldn't be too much of a problem for them.
I could see them air the Direct on Wednesday, at the absolute maximum before Famitsu outfoxes Nintendo.

Besides, i hate Tuesdays anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm just going to put my top 5 for every smash game out there so you can get a basic idea of my favorite newcomers by smash game.

SSB:
:jigglypuff64: > :dk64: > :samus64: > :link64: > :kirby64:

SSBM:
:ganondorfmelee: > :peachmelee: > :bowsermelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :younglinkmelee:

SSBB:
:snake: > :sonic: > :pt: > :metaknight: > :wolf:

SSB4:
:4ryu: > :4cloud: > :4megaman: > :4bowserjr: > :4lucina:

SSBU:
:ultridley: > :ultsimon: > :ultkrool: > :ultchrom: > :ultrichter:
Ooh, that's a cool idea. Here's mine:

N64:

5. :yoshi64:
4. :samus64:
3. :link64:
2. :mario64:
1. :luigi64:

Melee:

5. :popo:
4. :younglinkmelee:
3. :mewtwomelee:
2. :drmario:
1. :pichumelee: (Not even joking. I love Pichu.)

Brawl:

5. :rob:
4. :dedede:
3. :metaknight:
2. :sonic:
1. :warioc:

Wii U/3DS:

5. :4mii::4miif:
4. :rosalina:
3. :4palutena:
2. :4robinm::4robinf:
1. A tie between :4villager::4villagerf: and :4greninja:

Ultimate:

5. :ultsimon::ultrichter:
4. :ultridley:
3. :ultdarksamus:
2. :ultkrool:
1. :ultinkling:

That's all
And you can also look at it this way; at least most of the frontrunners haven't been harshly deconfirmed yet and still have a chance. If you were hardcore supporting someone like Waluigi for instance....... well, let me just tell ya, it hurts.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
But that fact remains that "Ultimate" wasn't the original title. So clearly, Sakurai and his team's vision of the game is different from anyone who thinks that the word "ultimate" defines the game.
Special: "better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual. "
Okay, "Ultimate" is for marketing purposes but the word "Special" in the title implies that Sakurai is doing things differently this time around.
What is he doing different? Adding the characters people have been wanting for years.

Last edited:

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
I don't eat out that much, but I usually go to Popeye's or KFC when I do.

And you can also look at it this way; at least most of the frontrunners haven't been harshly deconfirmed yet and still have a chance. If you were hardcore supporting someone like Waluigi for instance....... well, let me just tell ya, it hurts.
I think they meant which smash characters eat where, not you personally...

amageish

Smash Master
Robin. I had basically given up hope on him being in the game because Marth and Ike were back and my friends assured me that there was no way we'd ever be getting three Fire Emblem characters at once, so the fact his trailer confirmed not only him but also a bonus Lucina alongside him was super exciting for me.

I, uh, may have underestimated the roster potential of Fire Emblem.

StormC

Smash Hero
At least people can't moan that he didn't try and give fans what they want this time, because god knows he's tried, but at the end of the day there are only so many newcomers they can realistically add. I hope some of the long-timers like Geno and Isaac can get in, they've waited long enough as is.
I am curious what the reaction to the final roster will be. I think long-term fans will be largely pleased but newer ones might not like the focus on classic characters. There's also a strange sense of "why isn't Japan getting anyone they want?" Nevermind that the veterans, Inkling, and K. Rool were all popular in Japan, why do they care so much about the Japanese fans and outright speaking for them? It feels more like people tried to rely on vague "Japanese popularity" for their wanted characters to get in, and when they didn't, they needed a boogeyman.

Darn those stupid fat evil lizards taking up so much roster space!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom