• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
This part from Sakurai's recent interview made me laugh. FE bias confirmed.

"One person in particular worked strangely hard on Fire Emblem’s music, so the number of tracks from that series increased as well."
YES.
Twilight of the Gods please.

What Lies at the End please.

A Dark Fall please.

Alight Please.

Geneology of the Holy War Chapter 7 theme please.

Conquest please.

Comrades please.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
My heart is saying "OH MY GOD THE GAME'S COMING OUT EARLY!!!!"

My brain is saying "They're just gonna release the controller early stop getting your hopes up you're setting up for for inevitable disappointment lol"
I am such an optimistic person I instinctively started thinking this...then I beat that back with the reality that it doesn't make any sense to release the game early.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
One thing I still want to know is if 103 stages is actually an ironclad total or not, since, if it is, that puts the brakes on a whole lot of character speculation for the base game.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
wouldn't that just be banjo shaved in every place but the top of his head

Has much more character than Steve's dead eyes.

EDIT:
One thing I still want to know is if 103 stages is actually an ironclad total or not, since, if it is, that puts the brakes on a whole lot of character speculation for the base game.
That worries me too, and while I don't expect to care about the character reveal (there's not that many left that interest me personally), I really want a new stage shown off, even in the background, to put that ambiguity to bed,

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can't wait for Fulgore....to not be in the game.

But seriously, I don't know if I'd pick anyone who'd be "likely" to show up, there's a chance more Smash info will be saved for a little later.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean after all, only three characters have died in two trailers out of four.
Inklings and King Dedede are fine. So I don't get where people are thinking it's a "theme"
and yes, I know he got smacked the hell out of, it doesn't count though
It's not just that, but its the context of where it happened.

Luigi was given a great chance to cross promote the new Mansion game, in a trailer with Simon and his monsters that would, of course, be scary, if it were to stay in character of the franchise.
Ridley was named after Ridley Scott, and is known for its horror-game references. The kills were right on point.

Sure, if we get Resident Evil, zombie deaths, then maybe we have a horror theme of some sort. Yet with what we have already, it doesnt seem to fit anything but coincidence.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I normally would dismiss Banjo for... the bazzillion arguments that have been made lots of times... but honestly, i've been surprised to see banjo doing excellent also in japan, and in general world wide. so, yeah, while i still think is a little farfetch, im not sleeping on him (Inb4 the Retro studios secret project is a new banjo and kazooie collaboration between rare, retro, nintendo and microsoft for switch and xbox one only XD)

That being said, Steve is certainly big... ironically in a completely different demopgraphic than Banjo. and sorry Master Iron Chef, you aren't happening :/

Still people assuming that if sakurai get a hold into Steve he is going to do a boring moveset... he managed to do a fun moveset... for Pacman (shall i repeat... for friggin Pacman!)

Speaking of fulgore, if any of the 2 made it in, i think Fulgore would make a sweet Assist Trophie.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm sorry if this was already discussed before but did we confirm or deny the validity of the 4chan Crash Bandicoot music leak? That remix popped up out of nowhere and I have not heard it before.
What is this?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Has much more character than Steve's dead eyes.
I think Steve's design was always meant to give off a "im ****ing stranded" vibe instead of cartoony optimism. I mean when you gotta deal with some giant demon dragon because you just got to you just kinda get that face on you I guess.

Minecraft has a lot of weird fantasy stuff now that I think about it

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My heart is saying "OH MY GOD THE GAME'S COMING OUT EARLY!!!!"

My brain is saying "They're just gonna release the controller early stop getting your hopes up you're setting up for for inevitable disappointment lol"
i would not be too shocked if it were released earlier- not only to make fans happier, and to push the online service, but because Black Friday is usually the cut off date for big games of the year.
They could have had a December date as a buffer in case development got stalled.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why not all four (I'm bored, random post).

Newcomer: Mastercheif (represent Microsoft one of the big 3. Halo is a big fps franchise
Newcomer: Banjo (Legacy character)
Assist: Fulgore (similar representation to Ryu, why not represent another fighting franchise)
Stage: New World (Minecraft) (Minecraft had an impact on gaming. something small can become big)
Fulgore doesn't really fit well as an Assist. He's a combo fighter in general and would probably work fine as a Brawler costume or playable. The thing about Killer Instinct characters is they translate better as full movesets, not simplistic set of moves like AT's get.

I could be wrong, of course. I mean, he's the easy choice due to being the series' mascot, but I'd say a Trophy/Mii Costume/Playable are his best options. On another note, he actually has a fairly similar moveset to Ryu with some tweaks in the original games(but got vastly changed up since the 3rd full game). Basically, it's like comparing Young Link to Toon Link. They're vastly different, despite sharing similar roles.

But yeah, I think a Minecraft stage is pretty likely too. If B&K are playable, I think they're guaranteed a stage as well.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
i would not be too shocked if it were released earlier- not only to make fans happier, and to push the online service, but because Black Friday is usually the cut off date for big games of the year.
They could have had a December date as a buffer in case development got stalled.
If this is at all true, every character would be revealed tmrwXD

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
There's no way they'd push it up to the 28th this month.

They'd have to reveal the rest of newcomer line-up in a span of only two weeks and that would spoil us rotten to where our teeth will fall off.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if they bumped it up to October or November....

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Before I say anything:

The topic was just dropped again but thanks for bringing it back up. :rolleyes:
Very late (I made my post right before I left to go somewhere) but you're right, I'm very sorry about that. I made people here on Smashboards uncomfortable too which was the opposite of what I intended. Also the language I used, on further reflection, implied the mods were doing a bad job, when I was only trying to remark that it didn't seem to be deterring the comments that were making people uncomfortable. I made this unclear and unintentionally undermined their efforts, and for thaNext time I'll make sure to watch what I say and to only say it when it's relevant.

I hope everyone here can forgive me, but if not, then I understand. I made a mistake and this intro is me owning up to it.

---

As for the Direct tomorrow, I do share other posters' concerns over how Nintendo will handle the online service. The datamine revealed some NES and SNES controller icons, but I hope that we'll get news that other systems like the N64 and *GameCube* will get games for download as well.

Recently, Nintendo went after LoveROMs and other ROM sites. While the sites are reaching a settlement with Nintendo, it had a chilling effect and now Emuparadise, one of the most important emulation websites in the world, has decided to remove all Nintendo game ROMs from its site as a pre emptive measure should Nintendo come after them. It's pretty terrible all around, because they removed lots of Nintendo games that Nintendo themselves don't really feel like re-releasing. Which begs the question of just HOW extensive the list of classic Nintendo games is gonna be. While lots of people will settle for buying Super Mario World again, Nintendo has yet to re-release Yoshi's Safari. If Nintendo doesn't include that game, then people who are interested in the game are going to have to find a ROM somewhere, because buying a secondhand SNES and a secondhand copy of Yoshi's Safari and a secondhand Super Scope 6 are gonna have to pay out a fortune to scalpers on the internet.

I think the online itself needs better performance than the current online multiplayer we have already. I get randomly dropped from Splatoon 2 matches, sometimes I have to go back to the Switch settings to reconnect the internet manually, and my friends all have anecdotes concerning online co-op suddenly disconnecting. I'm not sure what tech Nintendo is using for the current connection but it needs to be improved.

All I know is I don't really want to deal with lag on online Smash matches with my friends. The Switch doesn't have an ethernet option so we're all gonna have to rely on wireless connection to play together. I hope Nintendo has a solution for this too.

Either way I hope if we get a newcomer announcement tomorrow, that it's Zelda related (just look at my avatar). I don't think Zelda characters have starred in a CGI Smash trailer yet, in either Smash 4 or Ultimate. It would be cool to see.

Last edited:

Chrono.

They'd have to reveal the entire newcomer line-up in a span of only two weeks and that would spoil us rotten to where our teeth will fall off.

It's only the controller they're bumping up.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
That worries me too, and while I don't expect to care about the character reveal (there's not that many left that interest me personally), I really want a new stage shown off, even in the background, to put that ambiguity to bed,
There's also just the fact that it feels a bit weird for there to be a new Smash game with only 4 new completely stages (+ *tons* of new FD's/Omegas and Battlefields, but still.) Like... hmm. Like, also, there's normally also some experimentation with new stage gimmicks, but we aren't getting much of that either (isn't the way the switchbacks in Moray Towers take you down instead of up the only actually mechanically super brand new gimmick we're getting?)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

They'd have to reveal the entire newcomer line-up in a span of only two weeks and that would spoil us rotten to where our teeth will fall off.

Well only the controller is supposed to be coming out this month according to Alpharad (whom thought the game itself was pushed up super early)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think Steve's design was always meant to give off a "im ****ing stranded" vibe instead of cartoony optimism. I mean when you gotta deal with some giant demon dragon because you just got to you just kinda get that face on you I guess.

Minecraft has a lot of weird fantasy stuff now that I think about it
Yes, because when I think of an exciting Smash character, I think of ****ing standard (I assume that's what you meant). People have been wanting Banjo & Kazooie since Smash 64 came out. The only reasons they would not have been in Melee were the contemporary legal struggles, that very few people nowadays consider when critiquing B&K's inclusion. And as Ridley and K Rool have shown, relevancy doesn't mean **** this time around--it's about what the fans want. And the fans want Banjo & Kazooie. After that, have Steve as DLC. Have ****ing Master Chief. Have Goku. The bear and bird need to come back home where they belong.

*just to clarify the tone is not aggressive, it's flippant--all in good fun*

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
are seriously people fantazising that the game will release earlier? like... thinking that "finally everything is done, i can't add anything else,, let's release this thing sooner" is the kind of though that could enter Sakurai's head???

like... seriously?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I heard something about a Smashboards leak that Vergeben said wasn't true. What was it, exactly?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My thoughts on the trailers.

Inklings - I for one didn't realize it was a Smash teaser at first. I don't care for Splatoon much though so I wasn't really that invested until things went dark.

Ridley - I was expecting Elma, so I originally thought it was a Xenoblade X setting. Then I realized Shulk wasn't there, so it must be Metroid. Then Ridley crossed my mind, but I thought that'd be too good to be true. Then Mega Man got stabbed and I wondered who used a harpoon to fight. Then I became certain it was Ridley. My mind was firing off a million miles per hour trying to piece things together that entire trailer, so you can bet that I was hyped when the dragon showed up on screen.

Simon - I only knew it was him because of the leak. Otherwise, my mind would have been blown. This is why I hate leaks. Ecen though I don't fully expect them, it's kind of sad knowing that Skull Kid and Incineroar won't be able to surprise me either.

K.Rool - Yeah this was obvious, but I think it was meant to be obvious. The Dedede fakeout wouldn't have been funny if it wasn't. My sister completely missed the joke, probably because she couldn't care less about the Kremling King. I, however, just couldn't stop laughing.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
pupNapoleon pupNapoleon Because I like the idea of your game~

Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
  • One new fighter
  • One echo fighter
  • One assist trophy
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
You may also specify
  • alternate fighter costumes
  • franchise trophies
  • stage music
  • reveal trailer
ALRIGHT, TIME TO GO REALLY OBSCURE FOR THIS ONE!

INTRODUCING NEWCOMER ORBITAL FRAME JEHUTY FROM ZONE OF THE ENDERS

Jehuty's echo would clearly be Anubis as well, the rival frame that's on par with Jehuty's power.

Assist trophy would be Ken and Ardjet.

The stage would be Mars, of course, where players have to watch out for certain ZOE bosses like Zakat, Nephtis, Neith, Tempest, Inhert, and Doloris!

The alternate costumes for Jehuty are as follows, Jehuty piloted with Leo (Regular Jehuty will be piloted by Dingo) and Naked Jehuty

The franchise trophies would be Ken and Ardjet, Leo Stenbuck and Vic Viper, Dingo Egret and Jehuty, Viola Gyune and Neith, Nephtis and AI Viola, Inhert and Lloyd, and Ridley Hardiman (Nohman) and Anubis.

The stage music is

And the reveal trailer would have Snake at Shadow Moses Island, sneaking around the place. He then sees a large black container being guarded by troops and GEKOS. Just as he tries to get out, we see a BAHRAM Fleet blow the place to smithereens. The Exposion subsides and then JEHUTY RUNS INTO THE FIGHT. Then a small character trailer until we see Anubis come down where it says ANUBIS CLAIMS HIS VICTORY

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
With a Direct on the horizon...there's something I want to iron out. There's an argument I've seen make the rounds sometimes isn't being used consistently.

One of the claims toward the Incineroar rumor being legitimate is the idea that Ash'a Torracat has a rivalry of sorts with an Incineroar that Kukui uses when in his Masked Royal persona. According to these claims, this rivalry must be pointing toward Ash's Torracat evolving soon, taking over the ace role, and being one thing that justifies the rumored Smash inclusion.

The problem? It completely overlooks a different anime rivalry.

Meet Gladion and his Midnight Lycanroc. He does have Silvally in the anime canon (and also an Umbreon), but for whatever reason, his Lycanroc has had the most use. He's been the closest Ash has had to a traditional rival for the Alola region, showing up many times so far, both as an ally and as someone to battle. Ash's Lycanroc also has a score to settle with Gladion's, seeing him as a high bar to reach after a first match that was...one-sided.

He's also showed up consistently for the last year and a half. You see, Kukui's Incineroar has actually only appeared in two episodes so far, a pair of self-contained ones based around the Royal Arena. Meanwhile, Gladion and his Lycanroc have appeared in 15 episodes and counting, and have been actively involved in major plot events multiple times. Including the Necrozma arc that is happening as we speak:

But thing is, this isn't the even the only "rival" Lycanroc in the anime! Olivia has one too, a Midday who appeared in a handful of episodes, and was a mini-rival of sorts for the Akala arc. Notably, the anime writers went out of their way to give her a different form than the Midnight she has in the games, so there wouldn't be multiple characters running around who were physically identical.

The Akala arc culminated with Ash's Grand Trail against Olivia, which ended with his then-Rockruff in a 1v1 against Olivia's Lycanroc, and barely pulling through with some clutch moves.

And, Olivia's and Gladion's Lycanrocs were both present when Ash's Rockruff evolved.

So then, why does a two episode clash between Ash's Litten/Torracat and Kukui's Incineroar--who hasn't ever shown up outside those episodes--count as proof toward a Smash inclusion, yet a long term rivalry involving two other Lycanrocs, each of which has appeared more often and one of which keeps showing up when important stuff happens, does not? I know the anime doesn't automatically point toward who gets in, but if we're going to use it as precedent, can we at least be consistent about it?

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Before I say anything:

Very late (I made my post right before I left to go somewhere) but you're right, I'm very sorry about that. I made people here on Smashboards uncomfortable too which was the opposite of what I intended. Also the language I used, on further reflection, implied the mods were doing a bad job, when I was only trying to remark that it didn't seem to be deterring the comments that were making people uncomfortable. I made this unclear and unintentionally undermined their efforts, and for thaNext time I'll make sure to watch what I say and to only say it when it's relevant.

I hope everyone here can forgive me, but if not, then I understand. I made a mistake and this intro is me owning up to it.

---

As for the Direct tomorrow, I do share other posters' concerns over how Nintendo will handle the online service. The datamine revealed some NES and SNES controller icons, but I hope that we'll get news that other systems like the N64 and *GameCube* will get games for download as well.

Recently, Nintendo went after LoveROMs and other ROM sites. While the sites are reaching a settlement with Nintendo, it had a chilling effect and now Emuparadise, one of the most important emulation websites in the world, has decided to remove all Nintendo game ROMs from its site as a pre emptive measure should Nintendo come after them. It's pretty terrible all around, because they removed lots of Nintendo games that Nintendo themselves don't really feel like re-releasing. Which begs the question of just HOW extensive the list of classic Nintendo games is gonna be. While lots of people will settle for buying Super Mario World again, Nintendo has yet to re-release Yoshi's Safari. If Nintendo doesn't include that game, then people who are interested in the game are going to have to find a ROM somewhere, because buying a secondhand SNES and a secondhand copy of Yoshi's Safari and a secondhand Super Scope 6 are gonna have to pay out a fortune to scalpers on the internet.

I think the online itself needs better performance than the current online multiplayer we have already. I get randomly dropped from Splatoon 2 matches, sometimes I have to go back to the Switch settings to reconnect the internet manually, and my friends all have anecdotes concerning online co-op suddenly disconnecting. I'm not sure what tech Nintendo is using for the current connection but it needs to be improved.

All I know is I don't really want to deal with lag on online Smash matches with my friends. The Switch doesn't have an ethernet option so we're all gonna have to rely on wireless connection to play together. I hope Nintendo has a solution for this too.

Either way I hope if we get a newcomer announcement tomorrow, that it's Zelda related. I don't think Zelda characters have starred in a CGI Smash trailer yet, in either Smash 4 or Ultimate. It would be cool to see.
What if dedicated servers is what Nintendo and Microsoft are building together?

Excuse the leap of logic. The thought just tingles.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Yes, because when I think of an exciting Smash character, I think of ****ing standard (I assume that's what you meant). People have been wanting Banjo & Kazooie since Smash 64 came out. The only reasons they would not have been in Melee were the contemporary legal struggles, that very few people nowadays consider when critiquing B&K's inclusion. And as Ridley and K Rool have shown, relevancy doesn't mean **** this time around--it's about what the fans want. And the fans want Banjo & Kazooie. After that, have Steve as DLC. Have ****ing Master Chief. Have Goku. The bear and bird need to come back home where they belong.

*just to clarify the tone is not aggressive, it's flippant--all in good fun*
If I'm going to be honest, man, your constant attempts to reroute character discussion to Banjo is extremely obnoxious and it's getting tiring. Nobody wants to read multiple essays on why you think Banjo should be in Smash, you don't have to justify yourself constantly. Tone it down, please.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

They'd have to reveal the rest of newcomer line-up in a span of only two weeks and that would spoil us rotten to where our teeth will fall off.

It's funny though....ESRB just rated the game, and they do this usually 1 month before. 3 months before is actually odd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom