• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Smash 4 times were different. I doubt Sakurai's going to ruin the surprise that Smash stuff will be announced.
"Smash 4 times were different"

This is a strawman.

The fact that Sakurai has retweeted both Nintendo Directs with Smash content in them says otherwise, the only one he didn't retweet was the reveal for very obvious reasons.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

This is a strawman.

The fact that Sakurai has retweeted both Nintendo Directs with Smash content in them says otherwise, the only one he didn't retweet was the reveal for very obvious reasons.
no offense man but maybe you should just wait it out like the rest of us

it ain't gonna be the end of the world if smash doesn't happen, and exceptions can occur. maybe he's just a really sleepy boi and forgot. who knows

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we don't get Smash stuff tomorrow I'll be spending the following 24 hrs in frown town.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Earlier I felt this direct would reveal Isaac but now I'm feeling that one of the 3 Pokemon hopefuls are getting revealed. Or we just get nothing and everyone becomes super salty.

Shroob

Sup?
no offense man but maybe you should just wait it out like the rest of us

it ain't gonna be the end of the world if smash doesn't happen, and exceptions can occur. maybe he's just a really sleepy boi and forgot. who knows
I understand that, but saying that "This time is different" is blatantly false.

LetterO

Smash Lord

This is a strawman.

You're trying to find patterns where patterns don't exist. A retweet doesn't confirm or deconfirm whether something will happen. The directs he retweeted (E3 and the August 8th one) were already confirmed to have smash content in them

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
People really think they won't show smash? when it's their biggest release this year and is coming out in 3 months?

Yall wild...

Shroob

Sup?
You're trying to find patterns where patterns don't exist. A retweet doesn't confirm or deconfirm whether something will happen. The directs he retweeted (E3 and the August 8th one) were already confirmed to have smash content in them
And your point is?

If Sakurai retweets = look out for Smash.

If Sakurai doesn't retweet = not hopeful.

There's going to be a LOT of people who tune in strictly for Smash news, if they don't see Sakurai tweet about it, then they're not going to watch, simple as that.

If there IS Smash news, it's in everyone's best interest for him to do so, both his and Nintendo's.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
People really think they won't show smash? when it's their biggest release this year and is coming out in 3 months?

Yall wild...
Isn't it better to prepare for the worst and get something, rather than expect it, get nothing and be really mad?

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
There's a pattern, I just think we will get Smash news in some form tomorrow. The controller release date was changed a day before the direct. S, I think some kind of Smash news is coming.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Earlier I felt this direct would reveal Isaac but now I'm feeling that one of the 3 Pokemon hopefuls are getting revealed. Or we just get nothing and everyone becomes super salty.
I'm locked into Isaac and/or Skull Kid. My avatar hangs in the balance.

Please Mashpotato Samurai save my avatar.
There's a pattern, I just think we will get Smash news in some form tomorrow. The controller release date was changed a day before the direct. S, I think some kind of Smash news is coming.
They also need to officially announce the Smash Ultimate Demo at Best Buy.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not every direct with Smash news has had a Sakurai retweet.

Several directs in the Smash 4 era had none.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's going to be a LOT of people who tune in strictly for Smash news, if they don't see Sakurai tweet about it, then they're not going to watch, simple as that.
Sorry guys, I gotta pack it up. Even though I don't use twitter the fact that Sakurai didn't retweet it means I can't watch it now. I just have no reason to anymore.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Isn't it better to prepare for the worst and get something, rather than expect it, get nothing and be really mad?
I'd be less mad and more confused, not showing smash would be completely nonsensical, there's no reason for it not to be here

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
And your point is?

If Sakurai retweets = look out for Smash.

If Sakurai doesn't retweet = not hopeful.

If there IS Smash news, it's in everyone's best interest for him to do so, both his and Nintendo's.
The game comes out in three months, and is going to be Nintendo's big hitter this year, and you expect them not to talk about it because there's no retweet? I doubt many people actually rely on retweets for if they're going to get Smash news or not.

Shroob

Sup?
The game comes out in three months, and is going to be Nintendo's big hitter this year, and you expect them not to talk about it because there's no retweet? I doubt many people actually rely on retweets for if they're going to get Smash news or not.
If they intend to save everything for another Smash Direct, absolutely. I could totally see them only briefly going over how the online will function and nothing else.

This isn't a Smash focused Direct, so 1 newcomer max is what I think most people were expecting anyway. If there's no "Hey, tune in today and watch this!" from the big man himself, it's probably safe to skip this if you're not interested in the other Switch titles.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Considering the time between now and SSU's release (and depending on how many unique newcomers are left to reveal) I think they will probably need any direct they can to properly reveal them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If they intend to save everything for another Smash Direct, absolutely. I could totally see them only briefly going over how the online will function and nothing else.

This isn't a Smash focused Direct, so 1 newcomer max is what I think most people were expecting anyway. If there's no "Hey, tune in today and watch this!" from the big man himself, it's probably safe to skip this if you're not interested in the other Switch titles.
How can you say that when there are potentially many more unrevealed Switch titles and updates to previously announced titles? Don't act like we're all only getting a Switch for Smash. It's not safe to just skip, because you also have to consider people who don't like spoilers. The internet is a ****ing wildfire, I bet you even googling Nintendo's account will show any reveal in your face and you'll be lost in all the surprise.

"Probably safe" to you. Unfortunately nobody else is you.

I have a gut feeling about Ryu Hayabusa
don't give me false hope pls

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm locked into Isaac and/or Skull Kid. My avatar hangs in the balance.

Please Mashpotato Samurai save my avatar.

They also need to officially announce the Smash Ultimate Demo at Best Buy.
This tweet is a needle, and it's about to burst your bubble.

LetterO

Smash Lord

I'm certain the majority of people who watch Nintendo's stuff don't rely on a retweet to confirm wether there's Smash news or not, especially for what is most likely only a 2 minute trailer.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Honestly to me Simon’s inclusion wasn’t that surprising, simply because you just can’t have Snake back and Bomberman Assist Trophy but forget about freaking Castlevania, that doesn’t mean the trailer didn’t hyped me (but i’m a big Castlevania fan anyways)

On the other hand Richter was the big surprise to me.

D

Deleted member

Remember when Monolith retweeted the all the Directs and people always thought that meant Shulk was going to be announced for Smash? Every. Single. Time.

Shroob

Sup?
How can you say that when there are potentially many more unrevealed Switch titles and updates to previously announced titles? Don't act like we're all only getting a Switch for Smash. It's not safe to just skip, because you also have to consider people who don't like spoilers. The internet is a ****ing wildfire, I bet you even googling Nintendo's account will show any reveal in your face and you'll be lost in all the surprise.

"Probably safe" to you. Unfortunately nobody else is you.

don't give me false hope pls
I'm talking about other Switch titles.

I know for a fact that I'm buying a Switch for Smash and Smash alone, which makes sense, since Smash is a system seller.

If I don't hear from Sakurai to watch the Direct, then to me, there's no real reason to watch it. I'm not interested in games like Three Houses, Bayo 3 or Prime 4.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe the controller is the release date for demo?
Do demos still have limited quantities of playtime? Because that's a long time to keep playing. I'm gonna stick with my 3DS demo idea and say one week or (at most generous) two weeks before release.

If I don't hear from Sakurai to watch the Direct, then to me, there's no real reason to watch it. I'm not interested in games like Three Houses, Bayo 3 or Prime 4.
They still have to announce, y'know, unannounced stuff. Could be an F-Zero in there man.
But hey, if you don't watch it, expect a huge "told you so" from me if it plays out. :yeahboi:

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

I know for a fact that I'm buying a Switch for Smash and Smash alone, which makes sense, since Smash is a system seller.

With that attitude you'll never get anything else. Even if you firmly believe all you want is Smash there's no harm in keeping one eye open to see if anything piques your interest.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Do demos still have limited quantities of playtime? Because that's a long time to keep playing. I'm gonna stick with my 3DS demo idea and say one week or (at most generous) two weeks before release.
3DS demos could only be launched a certain number of times, but Switch demos have no limitations unless they're special demos like the Splatoon Test Fire or the Mario Tennis Aces demo tournament.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

This just seems so... pretentious to me, I'm sorry.

I just really don't get that

D

Deleted member

thoughts on the trailers.
Inklings: Well, I was in class when that Direct was airing, so I didn't get to see it live. Instead, as I step outside to go to the bathroom and check on anything that's going on, I get alerts about a new Smash and that the Inklings and Breath of the Wild Link are confirmed to be featured.
Needless to say it was hard to focus the rest of the class period. :V Then I saw the trailer myself and had a lot of questions that I knew would not be answered until months to come.

Ridley: As soon as I saw the setting, I knew it was him. I was skeptical about Ridley despite the Verge thing, but my first reaction was "....Sakurai actually did it.....he ACTUALLY got Ridley to work....." and then seeing Ridley in action was phenomenal.

Simon: I knew he was coming from a mile away due to the setting and once again, Verge. I was more curious on how he would be handled, and he seemed pretty cool. And the cinematic of the trailer itself was hype; that's one thing I love most about character reveals, regardless of who the character is.

Richter: THIS on the other hand, I didn't see coming. I distinctly remember thinking "what the ****?!" and was confused on how Castlevania suddenly had not one, but TWO newcomers. Then I saw he was an Echo, and got hyped for another reason. Because Richter meant there was no excuse for Shadow not being an Echo at that point. :p

King K. Rool: I will be honest and say I am one of the few that DIDN'T immediately guess K. Rool from the screen shakes. I knew someone was coming, but K. Rool was not in the forefront of my mind. Then came the whole "rivalry" theme in the beginning, and that's when I started to guess it was the croc. DK's lazy yawn only solidified it. The KONO DEDEDE moment was unexpected but hilarious, and K. Rool himself was a treat to see after seeing him as a lost cause after Smash 4.

kylexv

Smash Master
You heard it here folks. If one of these happens, this will last for two weeks.

• If Banjo is announced tommorrow, I will change my avatar to a literal banjo.
  • If Incineroar is revealed, I will change my avatar to Dwayne The Rock Johnson.
  • If Isaac is revealed, I will change my avatar to a literal golden sun.
  • If Skull Kid is announced, I change my avatar to something Majora's Mask related.
  • If a new echo fighter is announced, the avatar I end up with will be flipped upside down.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
...You know, I wanna see more of the Rathalos boss fight and have Sakurai confirm if there's more bosses.
There's definitely gonna be more bosses, but I'm curious about if there are going to be more OC Bosses or returning SSE bosses like
Untitled.png

the "Wait you're telling me this thing was :gw:?" boss.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly to me Simon’s inclusion wasn’t that surprising, simply because you just can’t have Snake back and Bomberman Assist Trophy but forget about freaking Castlevania, that doesn’t mean the trailer didn’t hyped me (but i’m a big Castlevania fan anyways)

On the other hand Richter was the big surprise to me.
I thought he'd happen eventually. But that's cause of Captain N Fan Bias.

...Now that I know Nintendo actually owns Captain N fully, it's a bit more funny in hindsight that I saw him coming at some point(no, I didn't think he was a shoo-in this game, specifically. Hell, Ridley surprised me even more, and I had him on my rosters since Melee alone).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom