• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Were you here for the "incident" last week? It can go downhill very fast. While I did partake in the earlier parts of this discussion I say we should drop it before it gets too offtopic and controversial.
Can't say I was, so fair enough. I'll go back to default mode: being endlessly disappointed in Smash's lack of Dixie Kong.

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
I have no idea how you could make something more suspenseful and make another fake-out.

Dedede wasn't meant to actually fool you (at least I hope not), because we all knew it was coming. Seeing Rosalina pop up on Rainbow Road was like "lol who is this" because nobody expected it. Now we expect pretty much everyone and can call it immediately. There were people who called Simon just as the ****ing first pan of the castle showed up.

The only way I can see you making a good fake-out is by sacrificing a highly requested character for a gag to put in another.
The Rabbids, except Rayman I the actual character.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
You know I just want to look back at the roster I made back in March for a second. These were a mix of characters I wanted and predictions. You can tell this was before the idea of a project plan was popularized in the speculation community. I think many of these characters will hold up, but I am very interested to see who makes the cut and who doesn't. I ranked the newcomers/missing veterans in tiers based on how likely I felt they were, and I have the explanations I made originally below:

Next four rows: Potential newcomers
Row 1:
Most likely to get in. I expect these characters to be in without much doubt.
Row 2: Likely, but a little less so. I feel these characters should be on Sakurai's radar but who knows whether he finds them worthy.
Row 3: Fairly unlikely. These are a pool of potential characters that would work for Smash but I'm not really confident will actually get in. I have no clue what third party character we are getting, so I put likely ones here.
Row 4:
Pipe dream. These are others characters I find interesting, but would probably not be on Sakurai's radar.

So far out of the revealed characters since E3:
:ultwolf::ulticeclimbers:: The only two characters at the top of the newcomer list so far that I felt were the most likely. And they are veterans.
:ultchrom::ultkrool:: I put them down as likely but less so than characters above them. I'm surprised I put Chrom so high, and it
panned out.
:ultsnake:: Put him as fairly unlikely. I at least had some faith in Konami I guess? I remember thinking the Verge leak was crazy when it first came out though.
:ultridley:: I called this guy a Pipe Dream. We all doubted him and I'm at least glad I gave him a little consideration
:ultyounglink:: I expected him as a newcomer, but was skeptical even then.
:ultpokemontrainer::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus:: Completely absent from the list. Not really shocked by anyone outside Simon. I didn't really care for the Metroid reps when I made it (this was when I came back to Smashboards after 2+ years), so I didn't put Dark Samus, but Simon was probably me just forgetting he existed.

Ashley; Takamaru; Midna; Captain Toad: They were in the second tier along with K Rool and Chrom. Hindsight is cruel mistress. I put these characters on my predictions for source gaming too :(
Lyn: I didn't put her as likely, but it still hurts to see her deconfirmed.
Bomberman: I think I was kinda neutral about him, but he was super popular here out of the Konami reps.
Zero: I really put in pretty much every viable Capcom rep I liked huh lol. The pipe dream at least panned out as an assist trophy
Knuckles: I honestly expect Shadow over anyone but I found a new Sonic character very unlikely at the time

I have no idea why I forgot Geno on this list though. I remembered Dig Dug and Viewtiful Joe before Geno. Early Smash Speculation for Smash Switch was a dark time :p

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
I have no idea how you could make something more suspenseful and make another fake-out.

Dedede wasn't meant to actually fool you (at least I hope not), because we all knew it was coming. Seeing Rosalina pop up on Rainbow Road was like "lol who is this" because nobody expected it. Now we expect pretty much everyone and can call it immediately. There were people who called Simon just as the ****ing first pan of the castle showed up.

The only way I can see you making a good fake-out is by sacrificing a highly requested character for a gag to put in another.
Any "fakeout" for an incredibly popular character is never actually going to be one because there would be riots on the internet the second the trailer ended and people realize that character won't happen. Sakurai knows that. I saw it more as a humor thing.

The real fakeouts are things like Rosalina like you said, or even Richter in Simon's trailer.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman

As soon as we saw Inkling paint hit the ground we all knew it was Smash Bros

As soon as we saw Mario, Megaman, and Samus in that dark corridor we all knew it was ridley

As soon as we saw that castle we all knew it was Simon

As soon as we heard footsteps we knew it was K Rool.

Nintendo needs to step it up

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman

I know it's harsh to say this but the rumours/"leaks" have slowly killed my hype for some of my own speculated characters. All I hear on smash boards is "character A" and "character B" over and over. They are all legacy characters who are older than me and I only know about them through smash hype. I wouldn't mind if speculation returned to normal with all characters having an equal chance.

StormC

Smash Hero
Mmm...did anyone think Sakurai would actually let that "fake out" sit? 'Sides, Shroob said "in the first 5 seconds", and King Dedede didn't show up to fake us out until like 15 seconds in. Honestly (this is the truth) when the screen was shaking while Sakurai was wrapping up, I KNEW K. Rool was coming, and then we saw all the villains... that's definitely within less than 5 seconds.

Now, to be modest, I actually didn't see Simon coming. I swear, when that Castlevania trailer started, my mind would not connect to Simon or Dracula. I thought ReDeads when I saw the mummy, I even thought Kid Icarus when I saw the Medusa Head. It wasn't until I saw Death I realized how stupid I was.
I was pretty sure it was K. Rool because of the shaking... then once I saw Bowser I knew what was about to happen.

Castlevania was super obvious from the beginning but there was also the Bloody Tears screwup on the site to make it even more obvious.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We all assume Spyro couldn't get in before Crash cause his new games were announced way after Ultimate, but to be fair, Spyro has Skylanders to keep him kinda relevant. What if we actually got that incarnation of the character?
Yep. I dont see getting one of them without the other.

If Incineroar is shown off tomorrow, I'm curious to see if his moveset and gameplay will change my mind on not wanting him. I was against Simon until I saw him in action, so who knows, maybe if he looks fun enough I'll hop on the Incineroar train too.
I have lately gotten really on the Incineroar train. I did not used to like his wrestle design, I felt it betrayed the first two evolutions of the line. Even if he had an awesome personality.
Now, though, I realize that he reminds me of a hybrid of my two recently deceased kitties. It would be an amazing tribute (personally) to have this kitty get into Smash, it's always been a game that helped me cope with grief.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually I'm gonna call who it is tomorrow for pure shock factor.
image.gif

It's a win-win for me. If I get it wrong, everybody on the site wins. If I get it right, I told you so I get bragging rights. :195: absolute mastermind

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I know it's harsh to say this but the rumours/"leaks" have slowly killed my hype for some of my own speculated characters. All I hear on smash boards is "character A" and "character B" over and over. They are all legacy characters who are older than me and I only know about them through smash hype. I wouldn't mind if speculation returned to normal with all characters having an equal chance.
You know, as much as i like those characters, you are right.

It's in part Sakurai's fault though lol, he should have never said he was basing character choices on the Ballot (whether or not he means every character is unknown)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sticky Keys Notification Box is my most wanted newcomer.
I know right? Nobody will see it coming. The ultimate shock. We never had a glue gimmick before. It's ingenious.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
pupNapoleon pupNapoleon Because I like the idea of your game~

Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
  • One new fighter
  • One echo fighter
  • One assist trophy
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
You may also specify
  • alternate fighter costumes
  • franchise trophies
  • stage music
  • reveal trailer
Brian(Quest 64)
I was going to list an Echo, but nobody fits his proportions right. The most similar character uses a very different weapon and body design, being Leo D'Nardo... who is actu
Wyvern/Red Wyvern as a combo Assist Trophy(would be able to show up as either version first, but the other one immediately helps out too)
Stage: Isle of Skye(I already talked about it in the Stage Creation Contest thread), but it basically is a combination of Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, and Isle of Skye itself. It has 4 hazards, being Termant(Earth), Pixie(Wind), Thunder Jell(Fire), and Grangach(Water). While the monsters aren't literally tied to the elements mentioned entirely, their attacks are focused on that idea.
Costumes: All are just simplistic colors, having the usual Red/Blue/Yellow/Green as well. No alts.
Franchise Trophies: Were Hare, Big Mouth, Were Cat, Wyvern, Red Wyvern, Brian, Mammon, Shannon Stork, Nightmare
Stage Music: Battle Music, Boss Battle Music, Final Boss Music, Isle of Skye, Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, Normoon
Reveal Trailer: I haven't put much thought into it, but Brian taking out 4 villains with a move from each element seems like an ideal way to start it off. The tagline could work as "Brian Spells Your Doom!"
Neat a game. And hey, Brian’s nifty.

The franchise is....
Bonk’s Adventure

Playable Character: Bonk! Much like Simon Belmont, Bonk gets some of his moves from his echo character’s games and history as they’re essentially tied together
Echo Fighter: Zonk - Bonk’s superhero outfit. It’s got custom animations and behavior... but that’s it. Moves are identical. Zonk is just Bonk’s superhero identity. It’s really just an alt costume that dodges, idles, and runs differently.
Actual Alternate Costume: Female Bonk. So in the Bonk’s Adventure arcade game (which could dispense tickets for high scores) there was a Female Bonk. So hey, there she is.
Other alternate costume: 2p Bonk from Bonk 3
Assist Trophy: Princess Za: This Small reptillian princess throws out some meats for players to eat and then runs away as King Drool’s henchmen attempt to capture her, damaging other players that she runs into and that the dinosaur henchmen behind her hit.
Stage music: Bonk’s Adventure level 1, Bonk’s Revenge level 1.
Stage: Dinosaur Belly: Level 2 of Bonk’s Adventure was the insides of a dinosaur. So let’s go there.
Stage Boss: King Drool: What? The final boss at level 2? Uh oh!
Trophies: All characters already named. A couple of the air Zonk helpers like the baseball. Some of the more notable bosses like the dinosaur tractor from Bonk’s Revenge (T. Ractor.. almost made him the stage boss.)
Reveal trailer: mario and sonic are sitting on a couch. Mario pulls out a Super Nintendo controller and gestures to it, Sonic pulls out a Genesis controller and gestures to it, Bonk headbutts and destroys the wall behind them Kool-Aid Man style holding a Turbografx controller

“Bonk [head]butts in!”

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
View attachment 162161
It's a win-win for me. If I get it wrong, everybody on the site wins. If I get it right, I told you so I get bragging rights. :195: absolute mastermind
Honestly wouldn't even be mad.
I thoroughly believe that Minecraft has become industry-changing enough to earn representation in Smash Bros.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I was pretty sure it was K. Rool because of the shaking... then once I saw Bowser I knew what was about to happen.

Castlevania was super obvious from the beginning but there was also the Bloody Tears screwup on the site to make it even more obvious.
Yeah, I missed out on all the Castlevania music leak, so I was totally in the dark, and still it took me that long to realize that the f'kn CASTLE full of MONSTERS just might maybe be Castlevania/Simon when that direct started.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
This part from Sakurai's recent interview made me laugh. FE bias confirmed.

"One person in particular worked strangely hard on Fire Emblem’s music, so the number of tracks from that series increased as well."

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Honestly wouldn't even be mad.
I thoroughly believe that Minecraft has become industry-changing enough to earn representation in Smash Bros.
It's sad how something so innocent and likable gets hated by everyone because of cringe culture.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 162161
Playable Steve? or not, it's the only Microsoft content I feel is a lock if we get Microsoft content in general. The rest is more varied. I think Banjo & Kazooie and Master Chief(slightly less chance than B&K, but then the Halo Mash-Up Pack happened proving this isn't a big issue anyway. Him being playable could go either way, but a Mii Gunner costume feels very likely if he isn't playable) will probably show up in some way, though. Costumes or otherwise. As much as I want Fulgore, I don't think he has the demand to be obvious for any actual appearance in general. Ballot or otherwise. Being there's no chance for a Halo game on a Nintendo system, it wouldn't really matter if Master Chief shows up or not. Killer Instinct is however an active franchise, so that could make it harder for Fulgore to get in, especially since it's also a fighting game. Being owned by a competitor can still factor in. Sakurai doesn't care about that, but Nintendo and Microsoft are different.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, to any of you who got the pro-controller, did your release date get bumped up?

A LOT of people are saying they got an email that the release date got bumped up to the 26th.
Currently shows up on Best Buy's website for a release date of the 28th of September. Strange. Maybe the controller is coming out two months before the game?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
View attachment 162161
Or we could get Banjo & Kazooie, and for the lolz, Minecraft Steve... but only as the Banjo skin.

EDIT:

Playable Steve? or not, it's the only Microsoft content I feel is a lock if we get Microsoft content in general. The rest is more varied. I think Banjo & Kazooie and Master Chief(slightly less chance than B&K, but then the Halo Mash-Up Pack happened proving this isn't a big issue anyway. Him being playable could go either way, but a Mii Gunner costume feels very likely) will probably show up in some way, though. Costumes or otherwise. As much as I want Fulgore, I don't think he has the demand to be obvious for any actual appearance in general. Ballot or otherwise. Being there's no chance for a Halo game on a Nintendo system, it wouldn't really matter if Master Chief shows up or not. Killer Instinct is however an active franchise, so that could make it harder for Fulgore to get in, especially since it's also a fighting game. Being owned by a competitor can still factor in. Sakurai doesn't care about that, but Nintendo and Microsoft are different.
Banjo & Kazooie had the popularity in 2015, the Nintendo legacy and nostalgia, the moves, the music, the characters. You only add Minecraft Steve as a playable character in Smash over B&K if you want to watch the world burn.

And break my 10-year-old Smash 64 player heart.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Id put good e-money that there is no real theory in the deaths.
I mean after all, only three characters have died in two trailers out of four.
Inklings and King Dedede are fine. So I don't get where people are thinking it's a "theme"
and yes, I know he got smacked the hell out of, it doesn't count though

StormC

Smash Hero
I was sitting here alone at my house during a harsh rain. Screen was shaking and I don’t know why I’m thinking K. Rool, so I just ignore it because I don’t wanna get my hopes up. Then I realize I can’t think of anything else. The heroes and villains stuff shows up and I’m absolutely puckered. TV turns off. Donkey Kong’s unmistakeable maw.

Me: “Nope. Liar. It’s just Dixie...oh hell...why was the screen shaking? Can’t be Dixie. Must be a Tropical Freeze thing. I never played that. How disappointing.”

K. Rool’s silhouette.

Me:View attachment 162163
After the Klaptrap AT I knew K. Rool was basically a lock. So I was only shocked in that I seriously didn't expect him to show up so soon.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed, Smash Tour and Smash Run are basically just a Fortnite Battleroyale mode. You run around and colled items to get stronger for the final encounter.

Fortnite Baitbus playable cofirmed

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
How disappointed will you be if the Online Service is underwhelming?
Not at all - I don't play online! :pimp:

Still, I would like to see some VC or something. I started Nintendo with N64, so there's a lot of (S)NES I missed. Bonus points if they even end up extending to other 3rd parties like Genesis (I really want to replay Sonic 2)
They showed the heroes vs villains pictures right before the actual trailer so it was pretty obvious they were going to show a DK villain

Also, I saw so many people(including myself) who automatically knew it was K Rool as soon as they heard the footsteps. Saw it in A LOT of different reaction videos.

The trailers are too obvious IMO. I need a little bit more suspense
I didn't know who was coming at the footsteps, but after the Mario/Bowser and Link/Dorf pictures, I started to freak a bit. Seeing DK right after sealed the deal.

But I didn't see the Dedede fakeout coming either. My face pretty much looked like the Kongs' the whole time.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Did Brawl even let you access My Music from the stage select screen? I remember only accessing it from options, which you can do in Smash for Wii U but it's a million times more convenient to do it from the stage select screen. You know, in between matches, you don't have to exit multiplayer and go through to the options menu, it's right then and there at the press of a button before a match.

Like, I just press Y on the Gamecube controller before a match and My Music pops up. Why would you get rid of that and go back to only accessing it from the options menu?
I dunno. I just really enjoyed going into the music menu and choosing how likely the different songs would play on each stage. Have some songs that I didn't like set to 0 and some that I loved set to 100

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I mean after all, only three characters have died in two trailers out of four.
Inklings and King Dedede are fine. So I don't get where people are thinking it's a "theme"
and yes, I know he got smacked the hell out of, it doesn't count though
But Misery! The Inklings were already in Hell don't you see they were dead :woman:

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
It's sad how something so innocent and likable gets hated by everyone because of cringe culture.
That's not why he's hated I think tbh. I personally think Minecraft is an amazing game and I'd be lying if I said I haven't put maybe 1,000+ hours into it over the years. With that being said, I really don't think Steve should be a newcomer. It'd just feel forced. He's the most typical looking character out there with no special abilities besides breaking/placing blocks. His body shape also wouldn't fit naturally in a fighting game at all. I'm not against MC representation whether it be a stage, AT, or an item, but Steve just wouldn't work out at all.

StormC

Smash Hero
They showed the heroes vs villains pictures right before the actual trailer so it was pretty obvious they were going to show a DK villain

Also, I saw so many people(including myself) who automatically knew it was K Rool as soon as they heard the footsteps. Saw it in A LOT of different reaction videos.

The trailers are too obvious IMO. I need a little bit more suspense
I spent ten years in suspense for K. Rool. A little reassurance is nice.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if this was already discussed before but did we confirm or deny the validity of the 4chan Crash Bandicoot music leak? That remix popped up out of nowhere and I have not heard it before.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Playable Steve? or not, it's the only Microsoft content I feel is a lock if we get Microsoft content in general. The rest is more varied. I think Banjo & Kazooie and Master Chief(slightly less chance than B&K, but then the Halo Mash-Up Pack happened proving this isn't a big issue anyway. Him being playable could go either way, but a Mii Gunner costume feels very likely) will probably show up in some way, though. Costumes or otherwise. As much as I want Fulgore, I don't think he has the demand to be obvious for any actual appearance in general. Ballot or otherwise. Being there's no chance for a Halo game on a Nintendo system, it wouldn't really matter if Master Chief shows up or not. Killer Instinct is however an active franchise, so that could make it harder for Fulgore to get in, especially since it's also a fighting game. Being owned by a competitor can still factor in. Sakurai doesn't care about that, but Nintendo and Microsoft are different.
Why not all four (I'm bored, random post).

Newcomer: Mastercheif (represent Microsoft one of the big 3. Halo is a big fps franchise
Newcomer: Banjo (Legacy character)
Assist: Fulgore (similar representation to Ryu, why not represent another fighting franchise)
Stage: New World (Minecraft) (Minecraft had an impact on gaming. something small can become big)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom