• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
@pupNapoleon Because I like the idea of your game~

Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
  • One new fighter
  • One echo fighter
  • One assist trophy
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
You may also specify
  • alternate fighter costumes
  • franchise trophies
  • stage music
  • reveal trailer
Brian(Quest 64)
I was going to list an Echo, but nobody fits his proportions right. The most similar character uses a very different weapon and body design, being Leo D'Nardo... who is actu
Wyvern/Red Wyvern as a combo Assist Trophy(would be able to show up as either version first, but the other one immediately helps out too)
Stage: Isle of Skye(I already talked about it in the Stage Creation Contest thread), but it basically is a combination of Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, and Isle of Skye itself. It has 4 hazards, being Termant(Earth), Pixie(Wind), Thunder Jell(Fire), and Grangach(Water). While the monsters aren't literally tied to the elements mentioned entirely, their attacks are focused on that idea.
Costumes: All are just simplistic colors, having the usual Red/Blue/Yellow/Green as well. No alts.
Franchise Trophies: Were Hare, Big Mouth, Were Cat, Wyvern, Red Wyvern, Brian, Mammon, Shannon Stork, Nightmare
Stage Music: Battle Music, Boss Battle Music, Final Boss Music, Isle of Skye, Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, Normoon
Reveal Trailer: I haven't put much thought into it, but Brian taking out 4 villains with a move from each element seems like an ideal way to start it off. The tagline could work as "Brian Spells Your Doom!"
There's only one franchise that would make Smash Ultimate go from the best Smash game to being the perfect Smash game. Dragonb...anjo-Kazooie!
  • One new fighter: Banjo & Kazooie (technically a two-in-one figher if that counts...)
  • One echo fighter: Uh no echoes, and B&K would not be an echo of Duck Hunt--proportions just way off despite similar aerials. Yooka-Laylee? Nah.
  • One assist trophy: Mumbo Jumbo--temporarily transform your opponent into a useless washing machine giving you the chance to attack them!
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards): Grunty's Tower, with Gruntilda as a stage boss. Hurling fire balls, and speaking in stupid rhymes, dissing the Smashers. Could be this games Snake's Codecs and Palutena's Guidance. Alternatively, Brentilda, who could dish dirty secrets about the Smash characters.

• alternate fighter costumes: Dragon Kazooie may be one, but it goes against Sakurai's philosophy as Kazooie wouldn't breathe fire. Probably just color swaps. They could match color swaps of their transformations, like crocodile skin, bee colors, etc.
  • franchise trophies: So many. Banjo, Kazooie, Banjo & Kazooie, Tootie, Gruntilda, Brentilda, Klungo, Mumbo Jumbo, Humba Wumba, Bottles the Mole, Jamjars, Gobi, Boggy, Jinjo, Jolly Roger.
  • stage music: SO MANY. Battle version of the main theme, the Final Battle music, Spiral Mountain re-mix. Grunty's Furnace Fun, for the lolz. Other great music would be Freezeezy Peak, Clickclock Wood, Rusty Bucket Bay. I'm less familiar with Tooie's soundtrack.
  • reveal trailer: Some Smash characters are in N64 renders (obviously Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Pikachu--retro characters like Duck Hunt and ROB--newer characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina). They're fighting when all of a sudden fire balls come crashing down. It's Gruntilda! Banjo is sleeping while Kazooie hears the cartoony commotion outside. Banjo wants to hibernate for another 20 years, when Tootie begs them to help. Banjo puts his backpack, with Kazooie in it, on him as he transforms into Ultimate graphics. BANJO & KAZOOIE SPLATTER THE COMPETITION. Banjo & Kazooie use a variety of moves--shoots eggs, roll, Rat a Tat Rap--sending Gruntilda off her broom onto the ground. The Smash characters, Mario up front, look like they're going to take her out. She runs, Kazooie uses Talon Trot to run after Gruntila, whacks Grunty with her wings, and sends her flying. SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE. Post trailer tease: Kazooie poops out eggs, and Duck Hunt uses their laughing taunt.*

*Had a longer version of this posted in the B&K thread a while back, decided to condense it. I think it would make for an awesome trailer, and coincidentally mirror's Duck Hunt's.
Edited to have the Final Battle music:

Thanks @pupNapoleon!

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
We'll hear all the Smash fan's collective held breaths and beating hearts the second the words "Before we go..." come up.

Chrono.

We'll hear all the Smash fan's collective held breaths and beating hearts the second the words "Before we go..." come up.
The biggest one was with Cloud for me.

As far as singular character reveals go he was the biggest holy **** moment for me.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Is anyone else afraid that this game is the last chance for your most wanted character to get in? I'm probably being too pessimistic, but now would be the best time to add a rhythm heaven character. If we don't get one, it might be a lot less likely later on :(
Oh yeah.

Tails is probably still fine since he’s still considered Sonic’s BFF despite his lack of popularity in the Sonic base.

But Dovahkiin... He was most relevant when Skyrim first released in 2011. Skyrim’s been ported several times since, but I think the Switch port came too late for consideration. And with Elder Scrolls 6 announced, it really feels now or never for him.

I feel the Soul Calibur characters are all on life support now depending on how well SC6 goes, but I doubt they had a chance for base. Maybe DLC.

Midna may have already missed her chance, along with Ghirahim and the rest of the Zelda one-shots. It remains to be seen if the fanbases Hyrule Warriors inspired will keep them (or even the BotW champions) alive much longer.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They're typically anywhere between 15 to 45 minutes long most of the time. If they're shorter than 15 minutes, they're considered Direct Minis/Micros.

Also, I don't think Sakurai retweeting the Direct is or isn't confirmation there'll be Smash stuff. It would help make it a lock, but plenty of developers and figures at Nintendo have retweeted Directs and nothing they were involved in ended up happening in the past.

At least, I remember there being instances where that happened. I could be wrong. :p

Either way, I would agree that Smash info isn't a lock tomorrow, but I don't think it's a longshot either. These fall directs are usually held to advertise the holiday line-up, even if it's just a small plug. I'm sure Smash will get something, even if it's something small. Just my thoughts, though; I am by no means an expert when it comes to predicting Nintendo. I am very likely wrong, lol. :)
It could happen, it could not happen. Smash trailers are like what, 1:30 to 2:30 in length? It's not terribly long, but it's also a bit of content to push in.
We'll just have to wait to be disappointed.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I would only expect one char for tomorrow tbh. Just a trailer like the inkling announcement

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Was anyone else confused by how the obviously gay characters in Fates were unable to have gay relationships? I mean, there was a boy who wore pink and loved fashion and there was a girl who couldn't stop talking about how much she loved cute girls, but neither of them could be gay with anybody.
Straight men can wear pink and like fashion though...not much can be said about the other one though lmfao

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm expecting some Wii U ports tomorrow. My guess is probably Mario U and maybe something like Pikmin 3 or Xenoblade. I don't think they'll port something like Mario 3D Land yet, and I personally think they're working on a sequel to Mario Maker rather than a port (hopefully).

D

Deleted member

Are directs usually 35 minutes? Because with such a short amount of time that doesn't feel like how a direct usually is at all.
The March Direct was 35 minutes and it included...

3DS Section (4-4:30 minutes)
WarioWare Gold / Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers / Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey / Detective Pikachu / Luigi's Mansion 1 on 3DS

Switch Section (Main portion of Direct)
Kirby Star Allies / Okami HD / Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido / Octopath Traveler / Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes / Dark Souls Remastered / Mario Tennis Aces / Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker / Undertale / Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Little Nightmares: Complete Edition / South Park: The Fractured But Whole / Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition / Splatoon 2 Ver. 3.0 + Octo-Expansion

and the Initial reveal of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Needless to say, it was actually a pretty darn good Direct. I have faith they can do a lot and schedule what goes where appropriately in 35 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Zinith Zinith so you're part of the rankings team for Smash 4 and Ultimate? Or is this for another game? I know this is a little off topic, but I'm curious as to what you're doing as a ranker and how you got this point. Super happy for you btw :)

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Was anyone else confused by how the obviously gay characters in Fates were unable to have gay relationships? I mean, there was a boy who wore pink and loved fashion and there was a girl who couldn't stop talking about how much she loved cute girls, but neither of them could be gay with anybody.
IDK man Flamboyant ≠ Gay

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The March Direct was 35 minutes and it included...

3DS Section (4-4:30 minutes)
WarioWare Gold / Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers / Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey / Detective Pikachu / Luigi's Mansion 1 on 3DS

Switch Section (Main portion of Direct)
Kirby Star Allies / Okami HD / Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido / Octopath Traveler / Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes / Dark Souls Remastered / Mario Tennis Aces / Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker / Undertale / Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Little Nightmares: Complete Edition / South Park: The Fractured But Whole / Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition / Splatoon 2 Ver. 3.0 + Octo-Expansion

and the Initial reveal of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Needless to say, it was actually a pretty darn good Direct. I have faith they can do a lot and schedule what goes where appropriately in 35 minutes.
While I'm not expecting much, Nintendo can and has done a lot within 35 minutes.

My only actual concern is how much time the inevitable online service talk will take up.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Zinith Zinith so you're part of the rankings team for Smash 4 and Ultimate? Or is this for another game? I know this is a little off topic, but I'm curious as to what you're doing as a ranker and how you got this point. Super happy for you btw :)
As far as I can tell it's for ALL games. I might have other jobs to do, but it looks like I'll go through tournament queues...

D

Deleted member

I don't think time would be an issue for reveals. E3 2017 was loaded and it was only 20-something minutes, wasn't it? Plus, I'm pretty sure they've gone a minute or two over time before.

Regardless of Smash's presence, I suspect there will definitely be goodies tomorrow. ...Well, if you like what's shown, that is. :p

Shroob

Sup?
Man, the funniest thing is, regardless of WHO we get tomorrow, if anyone, we'll probably know who they are from the first 5 seconds of their trailer.

We haven't really had a 'fake out' trailer like Rosalina or Greninja's this time; they've all been blatantly obvious within the first few seconds.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
All the weapons look pretty fun this time around.
Yeah, the Block Dropper and Fire weapon especially look cool to use.

I wonder if we'll get a Shield weapon. They usually show up, and I tend to like them. Especially Junk Shield, Scorch Wheel and Jewel Satellite.

Can't wait for Sunshine HD!

...on the 3DS
I'd want a Mario Sunshine remake in the way they handled Mario 64 DS. Or Mega Man Powered Up, Metroid Zero Mission, Samus Returns, or even Maverick Hunter X. Add a few quality of life changes or whole new characters we got ourselves some good ****.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Man, the funniest thing is, regardless of WHO we get tomorrow, if anyone, we'll probably know who they are from the first 5 seconds of their trailer.

We haven't really had a 'fake out' trailer like Rosalina or Greninja's this time; they've all been blatantly obvious within the first few seconds.
Dedede would like a word with you.

Also, like half the people I watched online thought it could've been Dixie/Funky/Cranky too.

D

Deleted member

While I'm not expecting much, Nintendo can and has done a lot within 35 minutes.

My only actual concern is how much time the inevitable online service talk will take up.
That's my only concern going into this, too. I think after the 9 minute explanation of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 back last September Direct, they wanna get through these topics in a good, timely fashion and took the feedback. Mario Tennis Aces last Direct was about a 6-ish minute segment, so I can see this being a good 4 1/2 minute explanation for the Nintendo Online Service.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So, what music tracks from games that probably won't be represented in Smash would you like to see?

Personally, I'd love an actual English cover of Reincarnation from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE or just the regular version. It would work very well in Smash.

Another one I really want but I don't think is likely is the Torna: The Golden Country Battle Theme. The DLC isn't even out, but this might be my favorite regular battle theme from the series. I'd like to know what you guys think!

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
@pupNapoleon Because I like the idea of your game~

Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
  • One new fighter
  • One echo fighter
  • One assist trophy
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
You may also specify
  • alternate fighter costumes
  • franchise trophies
  • stage music
  • reveal trailer
Brian(Quest 64)
I was going to list an Echo, but nobody fits his proportions right. The most similar character uses a very different weapon and body design, being Leo D'Nardo... who is actu
Wyvern/Red Wyvern as a combo Assist Trophy(would be able to show up as either version first, but the other one immediately helps out too)
Stage: Isle of Skye(I already talked about it in the Stage Creation Contest thread), but it basically is a combination of Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, and Isle of Skye itself. It has 4 hazards, being Termant(Earth), Pixie(Wind), Thunder Jell(Fire), and Grangach(Water). While the monsters aren't literally tied to the elements mentioned entirely, their attacks are focused on that idea.
Costumes: All are just simplistic colors, having the usual Red/Blue/Yellow/Green as well. No alts.
Franchise Trophies: Were Hare, Big Mouth, Were Cat, Wyvern, Red Wyvern, Brian, Mammon, Shannon Stork, Nightmare
Stage Music: Battle Music, Boss Battle Music, Final Boss Music, Isle of Skye, Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, Normoon
Reveal Trailer: I haven't put much thought into it, but Brian taking out 4 villains with a move from each element seems like an ideal way to start it off. The tagline could work as "Brian Spells Your Doom!"
...****. I'll do it.

UNDERTALE
  • Undyne (Original Character) This one is very personal, but back in 2015 playing though Undertale for the first time, Undyne was my favorite character. She was so unapolegetically her, and I thought she was one of the best-written characters in the game. This spot could go to so many characters, though: Mettaton, Papyrus, Frisk, Asgore. The other one. Also, this would be the taunt easter egg of the game, with the conversation being Alphys telling Undyne about the opposing fighter. Cute lesbian dialogue included. Her moves would all be spear based, and have red and green aesthetic effects. Her final smash would be Undyne the Undying, a trapping move where she transforms into her Determination-fueled second form and activates a small cutscene reminiscent of the Undertale battle GUI, except with the fighter's stock icon instead of a heart, and they can't move.
  • Costumes: I think Undyne could have a variety of Costumes to choose from. I can see four costumes with her armor, and four in her casual clothes. Her normal armor as well as Armor colorations referencing Asgore, Papyrus, and Mettaton, and her normal casual wear with casual recolorations referencing Frisk, Chara, and Asriel.
  • Hotland (Stage) I chose the stage Hotland not because I think it's the most aesthetically pleasing, but because I think it has the most potential for a stage. In fact, it might be the *least* aesthetically pleasing location in the game. Waterfall, Snowdin, Ruins, and New Home are all so much prettier. But I think stage cameos from Muffet, Alphys, and a stage boss (being Mettaton) would be the neatest thing. Music could have tracks like Enemy Approaching, Heartache, Bonetrousle, Spider Dance, and Death by Glamour (a must), as well as all the Hotland themes. And certainly not that one song.
  • Papyrus (Assist Trophy) You don't think I'd leave out the best boy did you? I think Papyrus would be a wacky assist trophy, throwing bones, doing... spaghetti things, or maybe even doing a gravity effect like Arceus or the POW block, making the fighters' souls blue.
  • Reveal Trailer: I could see it involving Lucas, having Fallen Down into the Waterfall Dump. He wanders around for a bit, similar to Simon's trailer and Luigi, running into Undertale enemies like the Possessed Dummy, Napstablook, and Temmie, before he's attacked by Undyne, cuing the splash card: "UNDYNE SPEARHEADS THE BATTLE!". A short battle ensues, where is shows off Undyne's gameplay. After that, lucas runs away, and into Hotland. Undyne overheats and falls, and Lucas offers her water, referencing how you "defeat" Undyne in the Pacifist run of Undertale. Similar to the "post credits" scene with Luigi in the Simon trailer, Undyne slugs all the way to Snowden, contemplative, until she passes...
  • Sans (Ness Echo) You didn't think I wouldn't meme did you? I mean, Sans is practically already in the game? Why not just make it official? Like Undyne, Sans would have costues primarily referencing other Undertale characters. Unlike Undyne, however, they probably wouldn't be primarily bosses, and instead I could see him with a Toriel color scheme, one referencing Alphys, one Flowey, one Papyrus in his normal outfit, and one in his "cool guy" outfit, and again, ones for Frisk, Chara, and Asriel
  • Trophies: Frisk, Chara, Flowey, Toriel, Napstablook, Alphys, Mettaton (Base, EX, NEO) Muffet, Temmie, Onionsan, Asgore, Asriel, Flowey (Boss Form), Annoying Dog
Yeah, this was my Undertale pitch. I'd love to hear what you all think!

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Today's item is aloan Exeggutor. Pokemon newcomer confirmed for direct.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Yeah, I knew Simon would be revealed right after the Smash logo disappeared. The tension is at its highest when that kind of thing happens, because while you can see who's coming, you have no idea how they will look like.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Dedede would like a word with you.

Also, like half the people I watched online thought it could've been Dixie/Funky/Cranky too.
Really? The loud stomping + DK doesn't really give me Dixie or Funky, and anybody that got legitimately fooled by Dedede must not have been paying very much attention lol

D

Deleted member

Can't wait for Sunshine HD!

...on the 3DS
I actually wouldn't mind that. Luigi's Mansion 3D looks super well made so far, and OoT 3D and MM 3D were amazing. I'd have full confidence they'd make something pretty good if that's what they wanted to do with Sunshine.

I've given up wishing for the 3DS to end. If the games are good, why not? That's just me, though.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
On the topic of this, what other features in online do you guys want added?
Honestly after playing ArcSys games so much I can't stand with how lacking Smash's online is. A lobby system, the ability to see the connection strength of your opponents, better netcode in general, all of it would go a long way in making the online better.
THIS! THIS! ALL OF THIS, a power rating, and a ranking mode/leaderboard to see who's the best in the world.
We all assume Spyro couldn't get in before Crash cause his new games were announced way after Ultimate, but to be fair, Spyro has Skylanders to keep him kinda relevant. What if we actually got that incarnation of the character?
Considering grew up with Spyro, way more than I did with Crash, I wouldn't mind.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If anyone didn't realize, that was PupNapoleon's game. Not mine. >.<

Well, at least I made it quotable, I guess? XD

Anyway, nice lists! But yeah, don't forget to thank the creator of the game(instead of me).

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Well, when the stomping earthquakes happened, yeah. But half of the people I watched didn't immediately get it

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Ok, ok, I realize I said something wrong, but I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad so I would appreciate it if you didn't try to make me feel bad.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Every single game I think that.
Worse is when a character I want gets in, but in a way I don't like.
Yeah, the 2nd Sonic character I wanted(Here's a hint: He don't Chuckle.) is now in Assist Trophy hell with Waluigi and Lyn.

Meanwhile Shadow is MIA, so for all we know he could be in as an echo or something.

Before you know it, the next character could be someone no one took into consideration like that.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So, what music tracks from games that probably won't be represented in Smash would you like to see?

Personally, I'd love an actual English cover of Reincarnation from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE or just the regular version. It would work very well in Smash.

Another one I really want but I don't think is likely is the Torna: The Golden Country Battle Theme. The DLC isn't even out, but this might be my favorite regular battle theme from the series. I'd like to know what you guys think!
Hyrule Warriors!

The remixes from that game were beyond incredible (especially the Molgera theme). Even the original songs sounded great.

We never get much from spin-offs, but I’d love this music. And a Ganondorf skin.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Since I consider my push for Boshi to have just started, I'm OPTIMISTIC for him getting in the next entry if I'm active enough...
You have single handedly made me not only aware of Boshi's existance, but also hoping for his inclusion in Smash.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom