• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master

Roberk

Smash Champion
Sorry, Falcon fans. I'm a face man. And a hair man. And a general "proof of existence beyond a layer of nylon" man.

Yeah, but it's one that's important to me. Calling it "arbitrary" kind of undermines it. And frankly, it doesn't seem like too difficult of a task to implement, considering romances for all characters are already written. I don't understand why they don't just make all romances for any gender, considering the mechanic was pushed so hard in recent titles.
While it's definitely an appeal of the latest titles for, obvious reasons, the original point of romancing characters is producing 2nd generation units. When romancing is just for the sake of romancing then it's actually a dating sim at that point.

To keep it somewhat Smash related: Richter>Simon when it comes to hotness. Richter's got the muscles and the charm, while Simon just looks like a barbarian.

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
:3 Why thank you~! xD I didn't expected that comment! It really took me by surprise! And it may be beautiful because...
View attachment 162147
*oldie drawing that pretty much summarize why it is xP*
I love meeting fellow Ridley fans. Particularly his propaganda artists. ;)

Oh that's wonderful! LOVE the expression! He's sexy and he knows it!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So interestingly enough, one of the motion graphics animators over at Nintendo retweeted the direct.... and then made a separate post telling people to tune into it.
https://twitter.com/adambarenblat/status/1037495808940097536

I looked at his reel... he directed and animated the Prime 4 reveal trailer. Hmmmn.

EDIT: For context, he hasn't retweeted or promoted any of the other directs recently. He seems specifically keen on working on something for this one.
Sylux confirmed!

Nah, I'm only kidding. It'll be interesting to see if there's any particular reason for him to tell people of the Direct.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Fire Emblem is no stranger to locking out units.

We could even just have the units be adopted.

There are many solutions to this.
Both are true points, and the idea of a replacement unit as an adoptee another user said in response is also a good idea.

Iridium

Smash Hero
:3 Why thank you~! xD I didn't expected that comment! It really took me by surprise! And it may be beautiful because...
View attachment 162147
*oldie drawing that pretty much summarize why it is xP*
Your avatar reminded me of how badly messed up Ridley's neck looks. Random, but I couldn't help myself.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

P.Kat

Smash Champion
On an unrelated note, what NEVER EVER franchise would you like to see rep'd in Smash?
I wouldn't mind seeing Excalibur Umbra from Warframe dueling it out against other swordsmen
I'd want Kat from Gravity Rush
1536197567588.jpeg

Why can't Sony play nice with the other children?:( T_T ;_;
Like I said to the guys at the Discord, I just want to see more Zelda related cutscenes like that Sheik CGI movie on Melee's intro.
That would be nice, Ultimate's having an original cutscene like Melee would be a breath of fresh air hopefully they don't make the intro for Ultimate the character intro from the E3 video.
That video thumbnail is going to haunt me. O_O
I'm sorry I didn't want the thumbnail either, blame the editor Ridley...

That Shulk video though

View attachment 162131

youve heard of “thanks I hate it” now get ready for...
Now we just gotta wait a few months until someone mods Elma's Overdrive to MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!

Attachments

Shroob

Sup?
I'm honestly predicting not a specific character trailer, but a "larger" trailer that has a 2 or 3 characters in it.

It hasnt been done before, but of Smash is pressed for time during the direct, it may be the best way to convey information.

Keeping expectations in check though
But Brawl and Smash 4's reveal trailers were just that.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
While it's definitely an appeal of the latest titles for, obvious reasons, the original point of romancing characters is producing 2nd generation units. When romancing is just for the sake of romancing then it's actually a dating sim at that point.
Well apparently the characters don't even need to bang to make a baby. Gays. Boom.

If I wasn't so technologically challenged and was working with hardware better than an Original 3DS I might've tried my hand at the Gay Awakening mod. I think that ship has sailed at this point, though.

Chrono.

This thread moves so fast at even the slightest hint of news.

I'm still hoping for some Prime 4 stuff if possible. Not sure what to expect with Smash, but anything new would be cool.

That new boss from Mega Man 11 gives you a cool dash attack. Almost reminds me of Speed Burner from Mega Man X2.
All the weapons look pretty fun this time around.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
"Finally"

Oh...oh come on now. Where have you been.
Please this hurt to read as a Paper Mario fan, Quark my friend.

He's always been up there, even if it's just been the same identical 4 for a while now. Usually he breaks that mold every so often.
Recently, as in the past week. Perhaps B&K have been in the fake leaks for months and I've missed it. But I'm starting to see them pop up more often now, with CSS stuff, models, and such. At least Paper Mario was in that one leak! ...with Gothitelle... as mario2... *hugs*

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Character predictions for tomorrow's direct: Incineroar, Medusa, Hilda and hopefully Isaac.. If not Isaac then maybe Mona from Warioware, maybe we see something with Mario vs Wario where she jumps in to help Wario beat up Mario or something like that.

fortun8

Smash Cadet
Too bad I didn't pair Henry and Miriel. This would've probably made me laugh like a maniac.
funny thing, i didn't either! i'm just an untapped reservoir of henry knowledge that only i would care about! that said, if that good 'ol dark mage friend makes it into Smash, i will see it done that everyone knows exactly what he's about.
ahem. on the subject of magic users, i'd totally be down for an exclusive magic-user from Fire Emblem! i'm still pretty hopeful about the whole thing, and even if it's not Best Boy, it'll still be neat!

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Recently, as in the past week. Perhaps B&K have been in the fake leaks for months and I've missed it. But I'm starting to see them pop up more often now, with CSS stuff, models, and such. At least Paper Mario was in that one leak! ...with Gothitelle... as mario2... *hugs*
As a fellow BK fan, and a PM fan, we're in this together.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Please have confirmation of a ranked mode tomorrow...
On the topic of this, what other features in online do you guys want added?
Honestly after playing ArcSys games so much I can't stand with how lacking Smash's online is. A lobby system, the ability to see the connection strength of your opponents, better netcode in general, all of it would go a long way in making the online better.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I love meeting fellow Ridley fans. Particularly his propaganda artists. ;)
xD And THAT'S AWESOME! That title has stuck to me over the years ever since I joined the boards, and I am more than honored to live by it, even though sometimes inspiration and motivation are lacking at times.

Oh that's wonderful! LOVE the expression! He's sexy and he knows it!
:p THANK YOU! and EXACTLY! XD That's the thing with my take on Ridley, he has that expression most of the time, because either he's feeling narcissistic/egocentric or he's hating most of the world around him.

Like I said in the Ridley thread, I wish I COULD draw more, but things get in the way and the ideas stay in my head, but hopefully I will get back on the road.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Oh hey, Loz is here apparently. That's neat.

The Direct could go any way imo, no predicting what's coming next. Seems to come down to a battle between Pandy and Loz on Skull Kid, though.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I remember Medusa being generally accepted as the most likely second KI character before Uprising actually released, and Palutena slotting in afterwards. Ol' Snake Hair hasn't gotten that much run since, but I still think she'd be a blast.
It's because of Hades usurping her role as main villain and a lot of people wanting Viridi, who didn't even physically appear in the game..

Medusa is my fav though.
There was controversy? I'd like to know about it.
Male Corrin secretly drugs her to see men as women and women as men, it was scene as being too similar to conversion therapy so it was altered in the West.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can't wait for Sunshine HD!

...on the 3DS
Meanwhile I'll merrily be playing the real 3DS port of Luigi's Mansion.

But he’s too big :troll:
Yes, too big to actually do anything, because he took up all the airspace. You could see somebody's house from there. :4pacman:

Please don't read into Alolan Exeggutor being shown on the blog SO THAT MEANS A POKEMON NEWCOMER IS COMING
That would imply that the website people actually know how to hint at/plan things, which they don't seem to be capable of doing so far.

Last edited:

Chrono.

On the topic of this, what other features in online do you guys want added?
Honestly after playing ArcSys games so much I can't stand with how lacking Smash's online is. A lobby system, the ability to see the connection strength of your opponents, better netcode in general, all of it would go a long way in making the online better.
Aside of what you said, custom rules would be great.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
But Brawl and Smash 4's reveal trailers were just that.
Exactamundo. Ik it's not a reveal (and technically the Everyone is Here trailer was that) but it's not impossible we get a 4 minute trailer tomorrow showing like 2-3 characters. That's all youd need. I just feel like it's logical if Smash isn't supposed to take up a bunch of time.

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet
Alright then. Carry on.
loz18 loz18
I've been wanting to ask you this for a week or two. Since the one direct you were certain of is a Smash one in November, wouldn't your information (such as Skullkid) possibly apply within the November direct that you know about, rather than this upcoming one?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
pupNapoleon pupNapoleon Because I like the idea of your game~

Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
  • One new fighter
  • One echo fighter
  • One assist trophy
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
You may also specify
  • alternate fighter costumes
  • franchise trophies
  • stage music
  • reveal trailer
Brian(Quest 64)
I was going to list an Echo, but nobody fits his proportions right. The most similar character uses a very different weapon and body design, being Leo D'Nardo... who is actu
Wyvern/Red Wyvern as a combo Assist Trophy(would be able to show up as either version first, but the other one immediately helps out too)
Stage: Isle of Skye(I already talked about it in the Stage Creation Contest thread), but it basically is a combination of Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, and Isle of Skye itself. It has 4 hazards, being Termant(Earth), Pixie(Wind), Thunder Jell(Fire), and Grangach(Water). While the monsters aren't literally tied to the elements mentioned entirely, their attacks are focused on that idea.
Costumes: All are just simplistic colors, having the usual Red/Blue/Yellow/Green as well. No alts.
Franchise Trophies: Were Hare, Big Mouth, Were Cat, Wyvern, Red Wyvern, Brian, Mammon, Shannon Stork, Nightmare
Stage Music: Battle Music, Boss Battle Music, Final Boss Music, Isle of Skye, Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, Normoon
Reveal Trailer: I haven't put much thought into it, but Brian taking out 4 villains with a move from each element seems like an ideal way to start it off. The tagline could work as "Brian Spells Your Doom!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom