• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
@pupNapoleon Because I like the idea of your game~

Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
  • One new fighter
  • One echo fighter
  • One assist trophy
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
You may also specify
  • alternate fighter costumes
  • franchise trophies
  • stage music
  • reveal trailer
Brian(Quest 64)
I was going to list an Echo, but nobody fits his proportions right. The most similar character uses a very different weapon and body design, being Leo D'Nardo... who is actu
Wyvern/Red Wyvern as a combo Assist Trophy(would be able to show up as either version first, but the other one immediately helps out too)
Stage: Isle of Skye(I already talked about it in the Stage Creation Contest thread), but it basically is a combination of Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, and Isle of Skye itself. It has 4 hazards, being Termant(Earth), Pixie(Wind), Thunder Jell(Fire), and Grangach(Water). While the monsters aren't literally tied to the elements mentioned entirely, their attacks are focused on that idea.
Costumes: All are just simplistic colors, having the usual Red/Blue/Yellow/Green as well. No alts.
Franchise Trophies: Were Hare, Big Mouth, Were Cat, Wyvern, Red Wyvern, Brian, Mammon, Shannon Stork, Nightmare
Stage Music: Battle Music, Boss Battle Music, Final Boss Music, Isle of Skye, Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, Normoon
Reveal Trailer: I haven't put much thought into it, but Brian taking out 4 villains with a move from each element seems like an ideal way to start it off. The tagline could work as "Brian Spells Your Doom!"
I'll do one for the BlazBlue series:

New Fighter: Ragna the Bloodedge (since he's the face of the BlazBlue series)

New Echo Fighter: Kagura Mutsuki (admittedly, it was kinda tough to think of an Echo Fighter from the BlazBlue series, but Kagura came to my mind just because he wields a big sword like Ragna does, although he doesn't have the Azure Grimoire powers that Ragna has).

One Assist Trophy: Hazama/Yuki Terumi (attacks foes with his moves from the BlazBlue while trolling them at the same time)

One Stage: Master Unit Amaterasu (would be a simple stage that moves around the Master Unit similar to what the Halberd stage does, and Izanami appears as a Stage Boss once the stage reaches the top temporarily).

I can't think of a reveal trailer, trophies, and alternate fighter costumes off the top of my head, but here's three tracks that could be implemented:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, it was most likely just a singular trailer theme, to tie into the context of Rool's return.
That’s what I’m thinking until they prove the villains thing true
Im totally ALL IN for the villains, because Smash Ultimate is all about THE VILLAIN CLUB.
Not with there being more heroic newcomers than villanous ones...& Knuckles
The villains thing makes even less sense when you consider how Sakurai confirmed that they got in because they were very popular. There's no reason to believe that them being villains had anything to do with it.
And :ultridley::ultkrool: just so happen to have been among the most requested and wanted/demanded characters to join Smash
:ultinkling: is a bad guy when they're not on your team, the results screen in the Splatoon games even says so :p
(There really is quite a bit of a relative angle you can put on them, though... like, if you're a non-converted Octarian that is still stuck living in those absurdly contrived underground domes, you don't think very highly of Inklings for putting your species down there, do you?)
:ultinkling: are more like competitive heroes than villains since (and tbh I’d say atleast half of the Octarian race are heroes due to the Octo Expansion storylines)

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Not to mention the villains motif the trailer had in the beginning
Yeah good point, I think they've been pretty on the nose with who each trailer is for. The only one with the slightest ambiguity was Ridley and that was broken the moment he started attacking Mario and Megaman

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
If Smash is in the direct tomorrow, I'm hoping to see Skull Kid revealed and maybe the hidden mode (that people think is "Spirits"). I can at least see there being info on Ultimate's online functionalities.

Anyways, good luck to everyone and their hopes being met!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The March Direct was 35 minutes and it included...

3DS Section (4-4:30 minutes)
WarioWare Gold / Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers / Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey / Detective Pikachu / Luigi's Mansion 1 on 3DS

Switch Section (Main portion of Direct)
Kirby Star Allies / Okami HD / Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido / Octopath Traveler / Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes / Dark Souls Remastered / Mario Tennis Aces / Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker / Undertale / Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Little Nightmares: Complete Edition / South Park: The Fractured But Whole / Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition / Splatoon 2 Ver. 3.0 + Octo-Expansion

and the Initial reveal of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Needless to say, it was actually a pretty darn good Direct. I have faith they can do a lot and schedule what goes where appropriately in 35 minutes.
Late to the topic but a lot of that main portion has to go to the online services, which will take quite a bit of time to explain everything so the everyman doesn't go "wait i have to pay for more mario kart now?"

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm a straight guy who's also an amateur drag queen and knows more about Broadway musicals than football and cars. I'm not sure what, if anything, qualifies as "obviously gay" these days. People contain multitudes.
This. Gender is fake do whatever you want. The only thing that can make a person gay is being attracted to the same gender, that's it lol.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This. Gender is fake do whatever you want. The only thing that can make a person gay is being attracted to the same gender, that's it lol.
listen man you're toying with a very powerful subject with very varying opinions

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I'll do one for the BlazBlue series:

New Fighter: Ragna the Bloodedge (since he's the face of the BlazBlue series)

New Echo Fighter: Kagura Mutsuki (admittedly, it was kinda tough to think of an Echo Fighter from the BlazBlue series, but Kagura came to my mind just because he wields a big sword like Ragna does, although he doesn't have the Azure Grimoire powers that Ragna has).

One Assist Trophy: Hazama/Yuki Terumi (attacks foes with his moves from the BlazBlue while trolling them at the same time)

One Stage: Master Unit Amaterasu (would be a simple stage that moves around the Master Unit similar to what the Halberd stage does, and Izanami appears as a Stage Boss once the stage reaches the top temporarily).

I can't think of a reveal trailer, trophies, and alternate fighter costumes off the top of my head, but here's three tracks that could be implemented:

>no Under Heaven Destruction II, Black and White, STAND UNRIVALED, MUST DIE, or END GAZER for music
I'm disappointed.
/s

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
listen man you're toying with a very powerful subject with very varying opinions
This, I'd rather we not have a repeat of the whole big discussion that happened after the deal with the dude who faked having the demo.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I know Rex & Pyra are way too late for base roster but for all that is beautiful in this world Sakurai please somehow put this song in the base game:

This song....is SUBLIME!!!!

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Late to the topic but a lot of that main portion has to go to the online services, which will take quite a bit of time to explain everything so the everyman doesn't go "wait i have to pay for more mario kart now?"
I honestly don't think it's gonna be that complicated tbh. The direct announcement said nothing about online so if it is part of the direct, I actually expect it to take up minimal time.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
@pupNapoleon Because I like the idea of your game~

Sakurai : "I need your help to bring a new franchise into Smash. You are allowed
  • One new fighter
  • One echo fighter
  • One assist trophy
  • One stage (with bosses/hazards)
You may also specify
  • alternate fighter costumes
  • franchise trophies
  • stage music
  • reveal trailer
Brian(Quest 64)
I was going to list an Echo, but nobody fits his proportions right. The most similar character uses a very different weapon and body design, being Leo D'Nardo... who is actu
Wyvern/Red Wyvern as a combo Assist Trophy(would be able to show up as either version first, but the other one immediately helps out too)
Stage: Isle of Skye(I already talked about it in the Stage Creation Contest thread), but it basically is a combination of Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, and Isle of Skye itself. It has 4 hazards, being Termant(Earth), Pixie(Wind), Thunder Jell(Fire), and Grangach(Water). While the monsters aren't literally tied to the elements mentioned entirely, their attacks are focused on that idea.
Costumes: All are just simplistic colors, having the usual Red/Blue/Yellow/Green as well. No alts.
Franchise Trophies: Were Hare, Big Mouth, Were Cat, Wyvern, Red Wyvern, Brian, Mammon, Shannon Stork, Nightmare
Stage Music: Battle Music, Boss Battle Music, Final Boss Music, Isle of Skye, Blue Cave, Crystal Valley, Normoon
Reveal Trailer: I haven't put much thought into it, but Brian taking out 4 villains with a move from each element seems like an ideal way to start it off. The tagline could work as "Brian Spells Your Doom!"
This actually seems like a fun forum game, might as well give it a shot. I feel like I have to do one off my personal pipe dream:

Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
Her echo fighter would obviously be her sister/clone:
Lilith Aensland
She would obviously carry her differences from Morrigan in the Darkstalkers games she's featured in, alongside her unique taunts and animations.
Assist Trophy: Sasquatch
He'd be a big bulky Alucard or Knuckles type assist trophy, where he moves across the screen but can be knocked out. He'd use moves like Big Breath to case fighters in ice while dealing damage, Big Swing to throw fighters off stage. Also with Big Towers, which is a "get-off-me" tool for any characters that get close to him while he's at high percentage. While I would've chosen someone like Jedah, I feel he's too violent for Smash unless he's censored like he is in MvC:I and that Sasquatch fits more with the roster than him.
Stage: Deserted Chateau
It's Morrigan's home stage in the Darkstalkers series. While it'd be a stage similar to Midgar or Suzaku Castle with the actual stage being the background, some platforms could be made of cobblestone allowing for it to break after receiving damage. Also bats would be hazardous as they fly in and could cover parts of the screen.
Costumes: She would have most of her color alts from the wide array of games she's been in. Also for actual costumes, she'd have her casual wear from UMvC3 and/or her costume from MvC:I. Lilith may get a similar treatment with clothing from her victory poses.
Franchise Trophies: Hsien-Ko, Pyron, Jedah, Demitri, Donovan, Jon Talbain, Anita, Q-Bee, B.B. Hood, Sasquatch.
Reveal Trailer: It starts with a battle sequence between Ganondorf powering through multiple guards in a shadowed throne room. Young Link or Adult Link tries to stop him, but after clashing with him, he gets defeated after getting hit by a couple blows. Ganondorf looks at the defeated hero and bellows with laughter and takes a seat on the throne, with a grim smile on his face.
A large amount of bats are heard flapping as they come storming through the hall into the throne room. "Many have come to claim the throne, but despite their power they have all failed."
Ganondorf has a puzzled look before becoming furious.
"Let's see if you can at least bring me pleasure."
Morrigan materializes from the swath of bats and jumps out poised to attack. The tagline could be something along the lines of "Morrigan Stalks Her Prey!"

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I honestly don't think it's gonna be that complicated tbh. The direct announcement said nothing about online so if it is part of the direct, I actually expect it to take up minimal time.
If they don't explain what the online NES **** is I will lose it

Polan

Smash Lord
Doing that game cuz it seems fun.
One new fighter: Yuri
One echo fighter: Any other of the Fatal Frame protagonists. Take your pick (Probably Miku for being the first)
One assist trophy: The tall woman. Imagine that thing walking across the stage towards you. brrr.
One stage (with bosses/hazards): Shrine of The Dolls with Shiragiku as a boss/hazard. Also a lot of ghosts attacking the players.
Alternate fighter costumes: Maybe some of the DLC costumes. Probably just generic recolors.
Franchise trophies: Mostly the ghosts (avoiding some of the more gruesome ones) and some of the supporting cast.
Stage music: Fatal Frame doesn't have that much music. I guess creepy ambient sounds will be the way to go. Oh and Torigako (in this cage) should definitely be there.
Reveal trailer: Simon stole my Luigi ghost hunting idea so something with Pac-Man. Also he definitely gets owned by one of the ghosts.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Sure, but it seems to me the crowd here on Smash Boards is pretty accepting and open-minded. It's been one of my favorite things about this place for a good ten years. That and the absurd lengths people go to pick apart shadows on Pyrosphere and chairs in Sakurai's office.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Dedede would like a word with you.

Also, like half the people I watched online thought it could've been Dixie/Funky/Cranky too.
They showed the heroes vs villains pictures right before the actual trailer so it was pretty obvious they were going to show a DK villain

Also, I saw so many people(including myself) who automatically knew it was K Rool as soon as they heard the footsteps. Saw it in A LOT of different reaction videos.

The trailers are too obvious IMO. I need a little bit more suspense

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If they don't explain what the online NES **** is I will lose it
I'm sure that will be explained for sure, but I just don't think online is going to be this huge focus, only a reminder that it's happening and maybe a confirmation date with some features

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
So, what music tracks from games that probably won't be represented in Smash would you like to see?

Personally, I'd love an actual English cover of Reincarnation from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE or just the regular version. It would work very well in Smash.

Another one I really want but I don't think is likely is the Torna: The Golden Country Battle Theme. The DLC isn't even out, but this might be my favorite regular battle theme from the series. I'd like to know what you guys think!
The music from Kirby Battle Royale is really good! Dededestroyer Z and Apple Scramble being a few of my favorites

Roberk

Smash Champion
Sure, but it seems to me the crowd here on Smash Boards is pretty accepting and open-minded. It's been one of my favorite things about this place for a good ten years. That and the absurd lengths people go to pick apart shadows on Pyrosphere and chairs in Sakurai's office.
Were you here for the "incident" last week? It can go downhill very fast. While I did partake in the earlier parts of this discussion I say we should drop it before it gets too offtopic and controversial.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Were you here for the "incident" last week? It can go downhill very fast. While I did partake in the earlier parts of this discussion I say we should drop it before it gets too offtopic and controversial.
Downhill....very very fast....

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have no idea how you could make something more suspenseful and make another fake-out.

Dedede wasn't meant to actually fool you (at least I hope not), because we all knew it was coming. Seeing Rosalina pop up on Rainbow Road was like "lol who is this" because nobody expected it. Now we expect pretty much everyone and can call it immediately. There were people who called Simon just as the ****ing first pan of the castle showed up.

The only way I can see you making a good fake-out is by sacrificing a highly requested character for a gag to put in another.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh yeah, to any of you who got the pro-controller, did your release date get bumped up?

A LOT of people are saying they got an email that the release date got bumped up to the 26th.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nintendo hasn't given a **** about marketing their online service so far--don't think they'll do much and hide behind "it's only $20 a year!" I don't expect anything online to be brought up, mainly doled out on their website. The datamine makes me think there are some things they could market in video--but I can't see them spending a lot of time of a Direct on a service that they've botched this hard for so long. And then doubled down on it. Best I could see is coinciding with Mario Kart 8 DLC.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Man, the funniest thing is, regardless of WHO we get tomorrow, if anyone, we'll probably know who they are from the first 5 seconds of their trailer.

We haven't really had a 'fake out' trailer like Rosalina or Greninja's this time; they've all been blatantly obvious within the first few seconds.
Dedede would like a word with you.
Mmm...did anyone think Sakurai would actually let that "fake out" sit? 'Sides, Shroob said "in the first 5 seconds", and King Dedede didn't show up to fake us out until like 15 seconds in. Honestly (this is the truth) when the screen was shaking while Sakurai was wrapping up, I KNEW K. Rool was coming, and then we saw all the villains... that's definitely within less than 5 seconds.

Now, to be modest, I actually didn't see Simon coming. I swear, when that Castlevania trailer started, my mind would not connect to Simon or Dracula. I thought ReDeads when I saw the mummy, I even thought Kid Icarus when I saw the Medusa Head. It wasn't until I saw Death I realized how stupid I was.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I'd like to know about this incident you speak of.

Roberk

Smash Champion
How disappointed will you be if the Online Service is underwhelming?
My expectation is for them just to rehash the same info they've already given us: some cloud saves, a few iconic yet overall lackluster NES games (with online play!), and absolutely no mention of dedicated servers.

It'll have to be something monumentally stupid to go below the absolute minimum bar I've set with my expectations for them to disappoint me even more.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I have no idea how you could make something more suspenseful and make another fake-out.

Dedede wasn't meant to actually fool you (at least I hope not), because we all knew it was coming. Seeing Rosalina pop up on Rainbow Road was like "lol who is this" because nobody expected it. Now we expect pretty much everyone and can call it immediately. There were people who called Simon just as the ****ing first pan of the castle showed up.

The only way I can see you making a good fake-out is by sacrificing a highly requested character for a gag to put in another.
A good start would be using a different series’ setting, but still hinting at the character by the context of the scene. Having the character be revealed in their own universe is way too obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom