• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
So, why are some people so certain Smash will be shown anyway for the Direct? I see people on Reddit already are speculating who will die in the next trailer, and it's weirding me out a bit.
Because the game is 3 months away? Because is the biggest Nintendo game for this year? Because they always did a reveal for Smash4? Because the Direct is presumably 35 minutes long? Take your choice.

Yeah, Samus is a perfect example of a character being the way they are purely due to tradition.
She was a weird Cpt. Falcon edit in 64, and now years later, most of her moves still follow that same formula.
Actually, it's the other way around. Some of Falcon's Smash 64 moves were ripped from Samus.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Because the game is 3 months away? Because is the biggest Nintendo game for this year? Because they always did a reveal for Smash4? Because the Direct is presumably 35 minutes long? Take your choice.
Not even presumably. Nintendo's official Twitter account stated as much.

That's a lot of time to fill without a mention of their winter blockbuster. The direct won't be Smash-specific, but Smash will be in there in some capacity.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Yep, basically. It's not harmful, but it's strange to see people ask "Who do you think is going to revealed tomorrow?" , as if it's confirmed. If I end up being wrong, I'll take it though.
For Smash 4 they consistently revealed a new character in every standard direct despite having multiple times as long of a window for reveals and a handful of characters who were not revealed before launch. Ultimate not only has a fraction of the time for reveals, but it has also been announced that they will reveal every newcomer before release. On top of that, Nintendo are basically counting on Ultimate to carry their Q4. Ultimate news is happening tomorrow.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Some people feel the need to try to tear down other characters to bolster their own arguments, especially when they are "competing" for the same "slot."
So you are saying I am "tearing down" Shantae by saying that Shantae and Shovel Knight are very niche characters in Japan? That is not "tearing down".

LetterO

Smash Lord
I honestly really hope it's Chorus Kids next. I disregard what I said earlier about what my brain thinks. There's no way to actually predict who's next, so i'm just gonna go with who I really want.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Look, I'm not saying it won't be tomorrow. I just think some people are taking their hype a bit too far. I get your point, but I'm not very hopeful, and I don't think I have time to change that.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well, odds are we'll probably get some kind of Smash news tomorrow. Nothing's for certain, but it's a pretty safe bet.

In the mean time, anyone up for some more discussion? I promise, there're some things therein that you've never considered before.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Look, I'm not saying it won't be tomorrow. I just think some people are taking their hype a bit too far. I get your point, but I'm not very hopeful, and I don't think I have time to change that.
Don't you worry about it, it's happening.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Samus is a perfect example of a character being the way they are purely due to tradition.
She was a weird Cpt. Falcon edit in 64, and now years later, most of her moves still follow that same formula.
You realize it's the other way around, right? Captain Falcon is a Samus clone.
Same dash attack, up tilt, side tilt and starting jab

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Not even presumably. Nintendo's official Twitter account stated as much.

That's a lot of time to fill without a mention of their winter blockbuster. The direct won't be Smash-specific, but Smash will be in there in some capacity.
I know, I just said presumably because sometimes that isn't the exact duration because they take 2 minutes longer or less or something.
And yes, I agree. On the very optimistic side, we may even get a 5-10 minute section with Sakurai or someone else showing Smash stuff, but not to expect at the very least your classic newcomer trailer reveal at some point is stupid, no offense whatsoever.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I still think a Pokemon could be revealed next.
This is not my Incineroar bias, a new Pokemon is more of a low-key reveal compared to Ridley and K Rool.
And with three incredibly hype reveals back to back to back (March, June, August) you gotta have some slightly less hype reveals in my opinion.
Or they could do the exact opposite and reveal Geno or something. It could also be Bandanna Dee, or Rhythm Heaven. We'll see.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Speaking of characters like Isaac and Black Shadow, this 4chan leak in the video was debunked, right? I recall seeing this before, but I legit cannot remember when.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I still think a Pokemon could be revealed next.
This is not my Incineroar bias, a new Pokemon is more of a low-key reveal compared to Ridley and K Rool.
And with three incredibly hype reveals back to back to back (March, June, August) you gotta have some slightly less hype reveals in my opinion.
Or they could do the exact opposite and reveal Geno or something. It could also be Bandanna Dee, or Rhythm Heaven. We'll see.
I think Geno will be the last character to be revealed, the series starts with Mario and ends with Mario.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is my prediction for tomorrow since we are 24 hours away from the Direct.

Our newcomer is either going to be Incineroar (next non-echo newcomer that was leaked by Vergeben) or Skull Kid (next guy leaked by loz). We might get an echo in either newcomer trailer or revealed separately, but on the whole not much Smash Bros. news. I feel Skull Kid is the more likely one of the two.

I also expect a Wario Land title to be announced, and a 50/50 chance its somewhat based off of Virtual Boy Wario Land. Fantastic game btw. Its the Rondo of Blood/Sonic CD of the Wario Land series.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
But I still feel like using art as a justification of one being more popular than the other is dumb. One's a women with exposed skin, the other is a man with a big suit on, of course there's gonna be a difference. I agree with you in saying that she is more popular in Japan than Shovel Knight but, that reasoning is really dumb.
I suppose, but it was the purposely taking what they meant the wrong way that annoyed me.
Some people feel the need to try to tear down other characters to bolster their own arguments, especially when they are "competing" for the same "slot."
I've only said it in response to anyone saying 'If Shovel Knight is only an Assist Trophy, Shantae has no chance' as if Shovel Knight's popularity was worldwide or they only took Western popularity into account.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, making that Nintendo Direct bingo card was fun (even if I had to make it twice because of a software crash ‾\_(ツ)_/‾)

I even downloaded the actual font Nintendo uses for their website (specifically the "Nintendo Direct [Date]" header).

It's called "Lato" and it's actually a free font. You can download it here.
Apparently, Lato's "fonts can be used without any limitations for commercial and non-commercial purposes." So I wonder if we could get it on Smashboards?

With that said, I must away, my bed beckons.

Be sure to quote or @ me if you use my Bingo Template, I want to see what people come up with.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
She's not defined by the size of her milk jugs. Get over it.
Yes, and no. It was just one part of a larger whole, for sure, but it’s been a consistent part of her design for so long now that just suddenly 180ing on it just feels weird to me, like if Kirby was suddenly cube-shaped or Mario was clean-shaven, you know? But nobody likes me talking about it, so I’m not saying anymore about it. :S

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's an opertunity for y'all.

Incenaroar, in spite of being the money choice for Smash Pokemon rep, has no support thread in the character threads.

This is your chance to make a character thread for a character to potentially have eternal "called it!" credits.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think Geno will be the last character to be revealed, the series starts with Mario and ends with Mario.
echo: daisy
newcomer: ridley

echo: dark samus
newcomer: k rool

echo: dixie
newcomer: skull kid

echo: impa
newcomer: geno

and then it wraps back around to the daisy echo...

obviously other characters can also be revealed but this would be a cool pattern that could potentially be set up at this point.

Shroob

Sup?

obviously other characters can also be revealed but this would be a cool pattern that could potentially be set up at this point.
But we started with Inkling.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Here's an opertunity for y'all.

Incenaroar, in spite of being the money choice for Smash Pokemon rep, has no support thread in the character threads.

This is your chance to make a character thread for a character to potentially have eternal "called it!" credits.
It’s because he really is the most logical and plausible choice for a new Pokemon fighter, but nobody actually wants him. What a paradox :b:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Yes, and no. It was just one part of a larger whole, for sure, but it’s been a consistent part of her design for so long now that just suddenly 180ing on it just feels weird to me, like if Kirby was suddenly cube-shaped or Mario was clean-shaven, you know? But nobody likes me talking about it, so I’m not saying anymore about it. :S
No, you're right, it was a weird change. I think people who would disagree with you just don't want to sound like perverts.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Did you conveniently forget Simon, Richter and Chrom?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Man, Japan can’t catch a break. First, a record breaking typhoon and now a level 6 earthquake in Hokkaido. I’m watching the news now and it appears it caused a part of a mountain to collapse onto houses below :(
2F242324-3660-49C9-9DCD-A38AAB87FE0C.jpeg

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm still betting my money on a later Smash Direct this month. I can't think of much else.

D

Deleted member

If Incineroar gets revealed tomorrow, I better see all of the WWE memes come out the woodworks and through out Smash Ultimate, or I will not be satsified.

triple-h-angry.gif

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm still betting my money on a later Smash Direct this month. I can't think of much else.
We could also get a surprise trailer a la :ultrobin/:ultlucina: or a reveal in a Japan only event that is later posted worldwide like :ultshulk:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Man, Japan can’t fatch a break. First, a record breaking typhoon and now a level 6 earthquake in Hokkaido. I’m watching the news now and it appears it caused a part of a mountain to collapse onto houses below :(
Wasn't there a really bad heat wave at some point too? It sucks to have to go through that.

We could also get a surprise trailer a la :ultrobin/:ultlucina: or a reveal in a Japan only event that is later posted worldwide like :ultshulk:
Okay, I can see that work. Really depends on decision-making, but it could happen, and that would be nice.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Did you conveniently forget Simon, Richter and Chrom?
thats what i meant by "obviously there can be other characters revealed"

just meant that for each reveal we could get a newcomer then the next reveal an echo from that series and so on, leading back to geno and the original echo daisy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom