• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
I really don't know what funimation is trying to do.

It's either letting the dbz fans down or just straight out breaking the rule

Somebody should intervene
it is with a heavy heart that i must announce that the weebs are at it again
Go ahead, keep hating on my boy.
Incineroar lives off of hate, it fuels him. It sustains him. You're only making him stronger.
you can't feed off light disappointment son.
What isn’t distinctive about Incineroar? To my knowledge, I don’t believe Pokemon has had a buff heel wrestler cat that shoots fire out of his belt.

Don’t get me wrong man, I love Decidueye and Lycanroc as well, but they kind of pale in comparison to Incineroar’s over the top personality and design.
i personally think he looks kinda dumb and his design sort of falls flat compared to his pre-evolutions. if his animations are funny/over the top i might warm up to him, but he'll forever be the "there were better choices" character to me.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
she's clear waifu bait
Ouch, you better take that back
Good for her, now consider what would happen if we factored in Japan to this poll.
Also, I wasn't attempting to kill your hopes, I was attempting to remind you not to put down other characters with baseless accusations.
And now you're asking me not to put down Shantae...

Keep believing, and hold out hope, but I don't think I dashed any hope in that post.
Shantae fans overall are more vocal than Skull Kid's, also he only started getting talked about again because of fake leaks and two chairs.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
She still got more votes than him
*dabs*
Okay sorry, but please don't kill my hopes of seeing Shantae in Smash
She probably got more votes because Skull Kid was already an AT - less people were compelled to vote for a character that had already been deconfirmed in the base game.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Good for her, now consider what would happen if we factored in Japan to this poll.
Also, I wasn't attempting to kill your hopes, I was attempting to remind you not to put down other characters with baseless accusations.
And now you're asking me not to put down Shantae...

Keep believing, and hold out hope, but I don't think I dashed any hope in that post.
I'm pretty sure Shantae is super popular in Japan, whereas Shovel Knight is not popular there, so that could mean something

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ouch, you better take that back

Shantae fans overall are more vocal than Skull Kid's, also he only started getting talked about again because of fake leaks and two chairs.
And again you tell me not to put down Shantae but go on to put down Skull Kid fans.

Skull Kid fans have been running rampant since 8.8 and you're the only Shantae fan who seems to have any confidence in her from what I've seen on this board.

And why's it matter the reason, if he's being talked about again?

I'm pretty sure Shantae is super popular in Japan, whereas Shovel Knight is not popular there, so that could mean something
I'd love to see a source for that popularity. Not trying to sound sarcastic, but that's the first I've heard of it.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Must be nice, expecting a character in Ultimate so much you're just waiting for the inevitable Direct they're revealed in...
To be honest though, I was actually far happier when Daisy was shown because I was completely blindsided by it. I didn't honestly think she'd be the first newcomer shown for Ultimate, but I'd wanted her so bad.

I rapidly high-fived my brother's hands and/or body about fifty times when she came onscreen.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
By the way, I'm pretty sure Sakurai's "Waluigu fans only like him ironically" quote isn't real. Just another myth spread by the haters.

If Sakurai truly thought that no one liked Waluigi, I doubt he'd even get an assist trophy. Those things are essentially consolation prizes for characters that didn't quite fit the bill.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Skull Kid

Down B Meteor: Leaves a polygonal grid that disappears. Press of Down B causes meteors to fly from the screen to the area.

Up B Puppet Master: A large wooden hand appears above Skull Kid with strings connecting to his limbs. He flails around, incurring multiple hits as you guide the hand along the screen for a limited time as it slowly raises upwards. Can attack afterwards.

B Ocarina: A soundwave occurs in front of Skull Kid. Acts as a command grab. Then input the direction you send the enemy running for a limited time(even in air).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be honest though, I was actually far happier when Daisy was shown because I was completely blindsided by it. I didn't honestly think she'd be the first newcomer shown for Ultimate, but I'd wanted her so bad.

I rapidly high-fived my brother's hands and/or body about fifty times when she came onscreen.
Now THAT was an awesome reveal. Loved it to death. (I plan to try playing her as much as I can when Ultimate comes out :))

I'm just hoping one day I can get the same for Paper Mario, but I don't have much hope for that.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Just a reminder that in the E3 showcase, they said that more than fifty assist trophies are going to be in the game.
Smash 4 had 39 of them, so it wouldn't be surprising to see a majority of these returning from Ultimate.

But hey if Dark Samus and Little Mac made it, it could be possible for any of the other ones. I just want people to keep that in mind.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Just a reminder that in the E3 showcase, they said that more than fifty assist trophies are going to be in the game.
Smash 4 had 39 of them, so it wouldn't be surprising to see a majority of these returning from Ultimate.

But hey if Dark Samus and Little Mac made it, it could be possible for any of the other ones. I just want people to keep that in mind.
Has anyone counted up the AT's we've seen so far?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
tfw your favorites aren't anywhere near the top of the 'most wanted charts.' Or on them at all...
:crying:

I don't really expect that any announcement is going to top what we've had so far - at least not for me. I still think we're looking at one character to be revealed, two max. We will probably be getting endless fake leaks about what'll be involved over the next 24 hours though, so be careful of getting your hopes too high.

Good luck everyone. If nothing else, we know that there'll be some people who are super happy and others who are super salty. Just remains to be seen which group we all end up in

Anyways, seeing as how this is a general direct and not specifically focused on Smash, y'all shouldn't get your hopes up for tons of content. I'm expecting one or two new characters, tops. Maybe a few echos too, but nothing else.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
tfw your favorites aren't anywhere near the top of the 'most wanted charts.' Or on them at all...
:crying:

I don't really expect that any announcement is going to top what we've had so far - at least not for me. I still think we're looking at one character to be revealed, two max. We will probably be getting endless fake leaks about what'll be involved over the next 24 hours though, so be careful of getting your hopes too high.

Good luck everyone. If nothing else, we know that there'll be some people who are super happy and others who are super salty. Just remains to be seen which group we all end up in
Makes you feel any better, you're why I lowkey started wanting Urbosa in :)

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
And again you tell me not to put down Shantae but go on to put down Skull Kid fans.

Skull Kid fans have been running rampant since 8.8 and you're the only Shantae fan who seems to have any confidence in her from what I've seen on this board.

And why's it matter the reason, if he's being talked about again?

I'd love to see a source for that popularity. Not trying to sound sarcastic, but that's the first I've heard of it.
Okay, show me the threads where Skull Kid has had support since Brawl and i'll swallow my words with a funnel

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I disagree there. I think the idea of a fire cat wrestler is better than a bird archer or dog with rocks. You could theoretically come up with movesets for all of them, but if I were Sakurai I think Incineroar on concept art alone is the most visually interesting.
Sakurai could still pick Incineroar, but I doubt he skimmed through a few sketches and notes and said, "Yeah, this guy looks pretty cool. I'll add him in Smash." There's other factors you have to look at, such as estimated popularity, promotion, and relevancy going forward.

That's not to say Incineroar doesn't have those things, but you're giving way too much credit to the concept art.

https://smashboards.com/threads/cru...per-smash-bros-ultimate.458148/#post-22382347

This is obviously gonna be locked soon, but what are y’all’s thoughts on this?
An animator who works on trailers somehow knows about Echoes and the process of a stage's development?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think one thing that's overlooked regarding the vocalness of Skull Kid's support during Sm4sh is that last time he was the very first assist trophy showcased. The moment a character is deconfirmed they're automatically shut down and people stop talking about them.

Skull Kids always had his fans, and I remember many during Sm4sh being bummed out. As a Toad fan I noted the immediete shut down of his fan support the second he was revealed as a part of Peach's counter during Sm4sh, and that's because people tend to tell you to shut up talking about a character that's already out because they should be talking about who is still in the running.

Early non playable reveals tend to get fan support for said characters shut down before any rallying can be had. Skull Kid support didn't really have a chance to shine in Sm4sh.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Personally, I'm expecting a more "casual" newcomer tomorrow, someone like Bandana Dee. I think Sakurai knows how to read a crowd. At E3 he wanted everyone impressed with the new game , so he unveiled some Casual Characters (Full Inkling, Daisy) and a more "hardcore" character in Ridley. In the Smash Direct, it was mostly the serious crowd so he went with characters more popular there (The long gone Castlevania, the lanbase's most wanted character, and two echoes from more niche series). Now we're in a general direct with everyone watching, so he may go for a character more popular with general audiances. And to someone who doesn't spend all their time Smash Speculating, who's more recognizable: A main character in the Kirby series, or a one-off from 20 years ago? It could be a mix like at E3, but don't expect Geno, Issac, or Banjo.

Aside from Smash newcomers, what do you guys want to see from the direct (that isn't Animal Crossing, cause everyone and their Shih Tzu assistant wants it)? I want a release date for A Hat in Time on Switch (I doubt it though), and maybe they'll let us see the Spirits mode, or at least some other single player modes (Break the Targets please).
A new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon would be great (Although partially because I want Grovyle and that would drum up support). That and some more Yoshi 2018 footage would be nice.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Like every non specific Nintendo Direct, I shall be hoping for 3DS/Wii U ports to the Switch (Kid Icarus Uprising, Super MARIO 3D World, and Mario Maker specifically)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
really hoping sakurai surprises us cause it getting really boring seeing the same characters listed over and over again

Its no longer "WOAH SKULL KID WHATTTTTTT", its now "oh hey its skull kid just like everyone else said. cool"

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I don't believe this for a second. Please show me your evidence.
I'm just going based off of what YouTubers have said, so that's why I'm saying I'm 'pretty sure' and not '100% sure'. However, one thing I can say for certain is that Shantae has more Japanese fan art on Danbooru than Shovel Knight does. I would share the links here but a lot of the fan art is hentai, and I don't know if I'd be allowed to do that. But if you Google 'Shantae Danbooru' and 'Shovel Knight' Danbooru, you'll see that Shantae has hundreds (almost a thousand) pictures of fan art of her, whereas Shovel Knight has only 60, and judging by the names of the artists, I believe most of them are Japanese

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Well, looks like those Direct rumors were right this time. We have ourselves a Nintendo Direct on Thursday, huh? I'm pretty stoked, whether we get Smash stuff or not, though it is very, very likely we'll get a little something.

Shroob

Sup?
really hoping sakurai surprises us cause it getting really boring seeing the same characters listed over and over again

Its no longer "WOAH SKULL KID WHATTTTTTT", its now "oh hey its skull kid just like everyone else said. cool"
Eh, that's the problem with this cycle of speculation.

Now that we have Ridley and K.Rool, the characters that would be considered pipe dreams are now 'the norm'.

Which, to me is fine, honestly. I'd be more than okay with all these 'pipe dreams' getting in.

D

Deleted member

Here is the source:
Can't argue with that. Looks like every single one of my most wanted characters are popular in Japan, and my least wanted characters have no Japanese popularity! Really dodged a bullet there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure Shantae is pretty popular in people's "search history"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom