• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I always found it a little funny.

Incineroar is the only Alolan Star starter without a unique hidden ability, yet he has the best to one with Intimidate.
Best use of stats too.

And yeah Intimidate in NEVER bad and it insures that his bulk because he's debuffing the opponent.

It goes in well thematically as well its just good.

Incineroar is great, Long Reach has to the WORST the actual objective WORST ability I've seen on a starter.

Mainly because its a niche situation tool that the owl wouldn't even be in in the first place.

Is it going to fight Ferrothron? NO

Is it going to be out on Garchomp? HELL NO.

So what good is Long Reach?

Again this sad because he might be the coolest looking grass stater in the game's history.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Man...

What if we're actually lowballing the character announcements tomorrow?

Remember how everyone thought that the Smash Direct would have 1 newcomer and 1-2 echoes?

I'm not going to go crazy, but I could see 1-2 newcomers and 2-3 echoes tomorrow, to be honest.
So we don't set ourself up for disappointment.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Also, the G&W idea is quite flimsy. Remember, G&W is a 3D model that is made to look 2D. not just a 2D thing that they use sprites of. Applying an actual visible texture to the 3D model complicates things. Also, remember that G&W has legs, but PM doesn't.
This. Don't know why on earth this is never brought up regarding Paper Mario. That said, G&W in Ultimate morphs into way more forms (like his Juggler or Judge designs) than ever before, so there's at least definitely a technical precedent for putting more effort into a "2D" character than just flattening a 3D model now.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Eeeehhhhh

If we do get an Undertale character I have a feeling it would sooner be Frisk. Being the protag and all.

If not them, there’s other choices y’all are sleeping on — Asgore, Undyne, Mettaton, cough Asriel cough
While it would make more sense for it to be frisk, one of the reasons people say sans beside the memes is the move set potential he has

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Spirits turns out to be a SSE-style adventure mode, what teams would you like to see? I'd like to see something ridiculous, like Ridley and Jigglypuff or Mewtwo and Pichu. Or even rivals being forced to work together, like Donkey Kong and K. Rool.

Moreover, if Paper Mario joins the fight, imagine him teaming up with Mr. Game and Watch.
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus:

and

:ultdarkpit::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultwario::ultwolf:

Villains and anti-heroes teaming up. One can only dream. My idea for the first are them being hired by Hades (An recurring antagonist and one of the masterminds behind Spirits) to collect spirits

Also

:ultbayonetta: , :ultinkling: , :ultjigglypuff: , :ultlucina: , :ultpalutena: , :ultpeach: , :ultdaisy: , :ultrosalina: , :ultsamus:/:ultzss: , :ultwiifittrainer: , :ultzelda:/:ultsheik:

Femme Fatale.

Chrono.

His power is Maximumer?
Man...

Remember how everyone thought that the Smash Direct would have 1 newcomer and 1-2 echoes?

I'm not going to go crazy, but I could see 1-2 newcomers and 2-3 echoes tomorrow, to be honest.
We're lowballing cause it's a general Direct and not a Smash one.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think we'll be getting a more casual newcomer tomorrow. Someone like Bandana Dee or the Pokémon. I'm predicting Bandana Dee + Dixie and Isabelle on the Echo side.

If Spirits turns out to be a SSE-style adventure mode, what teams would you like to see? I'd like to see something ridiculous, like Ridley and Jigglypuff or Mewtwo and Pichu. Or even rivals being forced to work together, like Donkey Kong and K. Rool.

Moreover, if Paper Mario joins the fight, imagine him teaming up with Mr. Game and Watch.
:ultyoshi: and :ultpichu:. Cute little nod to Yoshi's Island.

Also I want either :ultlucina: or :ultchrom: to meet :ultmarth:.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I personally believe that if we get a UT character, it'll be either Frisk or Sans. Its hard to justify the others because they stand on the same level of importance as Sans, yet their canvases are far smaller.

In the case of Frisk vs Sans, I believe Sans' overwhelming popularity would trump Frisk.

The day an indie will be playable in Smash will be a good day. But I don't think that day is coming anytime soon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Man...

Better to be on the safe side I'd say, especially with this being a general Nintendo Direct and not just a Smash one.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
All of the online polls are putting Phoenix as the top dog Capcom character. Whether that is down due to campaigning creating a bias or legitimate consistent support is yet to be seen...but kind of encouraging.

Polan

Smash Lord
Decidueye's popular with the Smash fanbase.

He's not popular with the Pokemon fanbase.

Big difference.
further confirmation that the smash bros fanbase is objectively superior to the pokemon fanbase
Decidueye's popular, doesn't mean it's gonna be in no matter what.
Popularity doesn't matter in this case, Sakurai chose a gen 7 Pokemon before anyone knew what Gen 7 was.
It all come down to what Sakurai likes, and maybe he's a wrestling fan.
i know that popularity won't matter but honestly, it really is going to be a shame if out of all the cool choices in gen 7, we get cereal mascot tiger man. decidueye, lycanrock, tapu koko, necrozma, even weirdo picks like golisopod, all with cool distinctive designs and abilities, edged out because TPC wants to push the anime. feels bad man.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I really don't know what funimation is trying to do.

It's either letting the dbz fans down or just straight out breaking the rule

Somebody should intervene

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I tried posting this game before, but the post didn't save, so I'll post it now.

Say, for whatever reason, the Pokémon franchise was represented by playable trainers instead of playable Pokémon. So instead of :pikachu64::jigglypuff64:, we would've gotten Red and Blue. Take the Pokémon in each Smash, and replace all of them with a trainer, following these rules:

• Pikachu must be replaced with Red.
  • You can use any trainer, as long as they existed at the time of the Smash game.
  • You must be consistent. If you replace Mewtwo with Brock, then Brock won't be in Brawl, but he will return for Sm4sh.
  • :pt: is only replaced with one trainer, who gets carried over to Sm4sh.
  • You get to add one new trainer to Ultimate.
Here's what I'd do.
64: Red, Blue
Melee: Red, Blue, Giovanni, Clair
Brawl: Red, Blue, Cynthia, Brandon
Sm4sh: Red, Blue, Cynthia, Brandon, Caitlin, Giovanni
Ultimate: Red, Blue, Cynthia, Brandon, Caitlin, Giovanni, Clair, Guzma

Shroob

Sup?
further confirmation that the smash bros fanbase is objectively superior to the pokemon fanbase

i know that popularity won't matter but honestly, it really is going to be a shame if out of all the cool choices in gen 7, we get cereal mascot tiger man. decidueye, lycanrock, tapu koko, necrozma, even weirdo picks like golisopod, all with cool distinctive designs and abilities, edged out because TPC wants to push the anime. feels bad man.
I mean, statistically speaking if Decidueye didn't flat out suck it'd be something else.

I know the Pokemon, if there is one, got picked long before Gen7 even came out, but Decidueye's picture is next to "Wasted potential" in the dictionary.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was saying. xD I *hope* it's on the Switch, and I *fear* it'll be exclusive to the 3DS.

And as someone who's gay, I'm hoping Nintendo heard the complaints and allows same-sex couple options as well. :)
THEY BETTER

Eeeehhhhh

If we do get an Undertale character I have a feeling it would sooner be Frisk. Being the protag and all.

If not them, there’s other choices y’all are sleeping on — Asgore, Undyne, Mettaton, cough Asriel cough
I'd die for Undyne, personally

Is this board going to go nuts if a Gen 7 Pokemon starter is revealed but it's Primarina?
Best Ending.

Hey, guys! You may remember me from a while back while I posted about the @SSBUNews Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Unofficial Fighter. With over 20,000 votes, the results are in. Thanks to everyone who voted!
Waddle Dee being 4th brings joy to my soul. Fingers crossed for a good reveal tomorrow!

Noipoi

Howdy!

Go ahead, keep hating on my boy.
Incineroar lives off of hate, it fuels him. It sustains him. You're only making him stronger.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really don't know what funimation is trying to do.

It's either letting the dbz fans down or just straight out breaking the rule

Somebody should intervene
Funimation would not be involved with Goku's inclusion in Smash.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
This feels really condescending. Just because you don't personally like Incineroar it doesn't mean he'd be a poor choice. You may not like his design, but many do.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
We'll get Smash news. It's about upcoming Switch titles and this is the biggest one they have to offer.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So he's one of the most memorable?
Not really. These so called "fans" only wants him for the same reason as Waluigi. The memes. They don't even really care for the characters. Sakurai even admitted these "fans" only wants Waluigi for the memes hence the reason for not including him along with not being that important due to starring in spin-off sports games.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987

What isn’t distinctive about Incineroar? To my knowledge, I don’t believe Pokemon has had a buff heel wrestler cat that shoots fire out of his belt.

Don’t get me wrong man, I love Decidueye and Lycanroc as well, but they kind of pale in comparison to Incineroar’s over the top personality and design.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, not gonna get my hopes up, but I do expect Smash to at least pop up during the direct.

Also, why wouldn't you want this guy?

TabBNTo.png

Potato_

Smash Lord

Skull Kid riding on Ridley's back, giggling up a storm. Imagine how terrifiying that would be.

I want my :ultzss: and :ultpikachu: reunion, and on the way they meet up with :ultsnake: and :ultpichu:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Not really. These so called "fans" only wants him for the same reason as Waluigi. The memes. They don't even really care for the characters. Sakurai even admitted these "fans" only wants Waluigi for the memes hence the reason for not including him along with not being that important due to starring in spin-off sports games.
Please give me a source where Sakurai said this. You won't be able to find it, because it doesn't exist.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
All of the online polls are putting Phoenix as the top dog Capcom character. Whether that is down due to campaigning creating a bias or legitimate consistent support is yet to be seen...but kind of encouraging.
PW's been around for years from what I've seen.
For Capcom reps it's always been Megaman, Ryu, and then Wright inches out above Dante, Amaterasu. That's just what I see though.
If there were another Capcom rep, besides Ken, it'd be him imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom