• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Results from the Smash Poll from Smash Bros Ultimate News on Twitter
There are over 20,000 votes.
https://twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1037437559343865856View attachment 162063

Glad to see Banjo & Kazooie placing number 1! For me, personally, growing up with Super Smash Bros. on 64, Banjo & Kazooie were always the ones that felt missing from that era. The bear and bird need to come back home where they belong.

My personal picks from this list: Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Isaac, Elma, Shadow (echo), Dixie Kong (echo) for base game; Rex, Crash, Rayman, Sora for DLC. I'd be abundantly satisfied with that kind of roster.

Noipoi

Howdy!
decidueye making it to the top 18 instead of incineroar gives me life. not popular my ***.
Decidueye's popular, doesn't mean it's gonna be in no matter what.
Popularity doesn't matter in this case, Sakurai chose a gen 7 Pokemon before anyone knew what Gen 7 was.
It all come down to what Sakurai likes, and maybe he's a wrestling fan.

kylexv

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure almost 80-90% of the Sans votes for that poll are probably meme votes.
He's pretty much the only meme choice that actually has a chance to get in, albeit very slim.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Keep in mind everyone, the possibility of us not getting a Pokemon newcomer at all is still very much on the table

It's one thing to reserve a slot for a character. It's another to reserve a slot for a character when your roster is "limited"

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Right?

I feel like he gets shoved aside for a new big-name each installment. A lot of my friends and others I see online are surprised he wasn't added as soon as Brawl, and in Smash 4, he seemed pretty obvious for the next Mario rep to a good few.

But with Ultimate he's again been tossed to the side. He's still pretty dang high up there, yeah, but he never breaks the usual mold of Isaac, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie and Incineroar (now).
I touched on it yesterday-- and now it's like thirty pages back-- but I attribute that to his poor showing in SPM, PM:SS and PM:CS. Super was so far off from what Paper Mario had been that it kind of curbed his own hype, and Sticker Star just wasn't all that good. Then Nintendo seemed to forget to market Color Splash at all and released it in the Wii U's dying breath.

So Paper Mario fans in general all likely spawn from the original N64 game and TYD on the Gamecube-- which came out fourteen years ago. He's a victim of poor timing, too, since no Smash came right on the heels of, or during the development of, a new Paper Mario game.

Still, I'm just surprised they never copied and pasted Mr. G&W's physics, applied new 2D animations and called it a day by now.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Oh boy, I love that part of the month when everyone guesses characters and then they get massacred so hard like Ashley they aren't even mentioned.

I'm waiting for the direct to give us 3 echoes.

Shadow
Black Knight
Black Shadow

the ultimate trio of characters people think are edgelords on first impression
well at least one of them is actually one
Why must you feast on our despair Junko?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm pretty sure almost 80-90% of the Sans votes for that poll are probably meme votes.
He's pretty much the only meme choice that actually has a chance to get in, albeit very slim.
Denial isn't very healthy.

Chrono.

I touched on it yesterday-- and now it's like thirty pages back-- but I attribute that to his poor showing in SPM, PM:SS and PM:CS. Super was so far off from what Paper Mario had been that it kind of curbed his own hype, and Sticker Star just wasn't all that good. Then Nintendo seemed to forget to market Color Splash at all and released it in the Wii U's dying breath.

So Paper Mario fans in general all likely spawn from the original N64 game and TYD on the Gamecube-- which came out fourteen years ago. He's a victim of poor timing, too, since no Smash came right on the heels of, or during the development of, a new Paper Mario game.

Still, I'm just surprised they never copied and pasted Mr. G&W's physics, applied new 2D animations and called it a day by now.
I mean Paper Mario also has the "he'd be just another Mario" stigma around him.

Obviously not around PM fans themselves but I still see that kind of thought a lot.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Of all these likely picks, incineroar is the most boring one to me. I’d be fine with him in but I’d much prefer someone with a more interesting move set

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Potato_

Smash Lord
Hey, guys! You may remember me from a while back while I posted about the @SSBUNews Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Unofficial Fighter. With over 20,000 votes, the results are in. Thanks to everyone who voted!
>Skull Kid beats out Shadow, Rayman, Crash, Dixie
>Gets less votes than Shantae

Nothing makes sense to me anymore. Where are all these people voting for Shantae? She always felt like a "nicher" pick, beaten out by Shovel Knight. And Skull Kid actually beating those big names makes me a bit surprised but very happy.

Also fantastic to see Paper Mario on there.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Which is for the same reason he'll never get in like Waluigi. People don't even care for those characters just the memes hence the reason they request them frequently. Sakurai even admits those "fans" only wants Waluigi for the meme.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Decidueye's popular with the Smash fanbase.

He's not popular with the Pokemon fanbase.

Big difference.
Not competitively either because he's terrible.

Not even being mean, this is an objective fact.

As he is now, he's bad, and his ability has a LOT to do with that.

Which is sad because he might be the coolest looking grass stater in the game's history.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

Nothing makes sense to me anymore. Where are all these people voting for Shantae? She always felt like a "nicher" pick, beaten out by Shovel Knight. And Skull Kid actually beating those big names makes me a bit surprised but very happy.

Shauntae rules k? ;)

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894

I honestly feel like a majority of the appeal to a lot of people who want Shantae is her design alone

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

I'm one of the Paper Mario fans who was spawned by Super Paper Mario.

Also, the G&W idea is quite flimsy. Remember, G&W is a 3D model that is made to look 2D. not just a 2D thing that they use sprites of. Applying an actual visible texture to the 3D model complicates things. Also, remember that G&W has legs, but PM doesn't.

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
If Spirits turns out to be a SSE-style adventure mode, what teams would you like to see? I'd like to see something ridiculous, like Ridley and Jigglypuff or Mewtwo and Pichu. Or even rivals being forced to work together, like Donkey Kong and K. Rool.

Moreover, if Paper Mario joins the fight, imagine him teaming up with Mr. Game and Watch.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

It's a Western poll sent to a specific audience, not an Eastern or Global poll like the Smash ballot.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Not competitively either because he's terrible.

Not even being mean, this is an objective fact.

As he is now, he's bad, and his ability has a LOT to do with that.
I always found it a little funny.

Incineroar is the only Alolan Star starter without a unique hidden ability, yet he has the best one with Intimidate.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
(accidentally doublequoted my bad my friend)

G&W could never work and I could write an essay on why but yeah, just wouldn't work out.

I do think that's why, a big reason. While I loved SPM and it's actually pretty well-loved these days, SS and CS certainly received quite the backlash, no matter how good of games they were (though I obviously didn't care for SS, never played for CS) and back in the Ballot days, SS was just seen as a one-off mistake by many.

So in turn, the poor showing of games results in a poor Smash showing. But he's still a front-runner. Which is what I find beautiful.

I'm one of the Paper Mario fans who was spawned by Super Paper Mario.

Also, the G&W idea is quite flimsy. Remember, G&W is a 3D model that is made to look 2D. not just a 2D thing that they use sprites of. Applying an actual visible texture to the 3D model complicates things. Also, remember that G&W has legs, but PM doesn't.
SPM's a lovely game. Thank you for loving it! Agreed on the GW thing.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Eeeehhhhh

If we do get an Undertale character I have a feeling it would sooner be Frisk. Being the protag and all.

If not them, there’s other choices y’all are sleeping on — Asgore, Undyne, Muffet, Mettaton, cough Asriel cough

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Not on topic- how about Sakurai honors the most important part of Nintendo history- the developers? Sakurai, Miyamoto, Iwata, Aonuma, Koizumi, Koji Kondo etc get high quality trophies in the game, mentioning their accomplishments they've made and games they've worked on.

I'd also mention 3rd parties, but my dreams of a Kojima trophy are dead so I wont.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Eeeehhhhh

If we do get an Undertale character I have a feeling it would sooner be Frisk. Being the protag and all.

If not them, there’s other choices y’all are sleeping on — Asgore, Undyne, Mettaton, cough Asriel cough
I'd argue differently. In the case of this, the side character is more popular than the title character. You could even argue he's his own protagonist in one of the three routes you can take.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Well someone’s got to pick up the slack for Zamus’s nerfs I guess ;) Nah, you ever played her games? They’re actually pretty good, and funny and quirky too :)
:laugh: I had a feeling you might say something like that

But No I’ve never had a chance to play the games, I’d like to though, maybe then I could get in on the hype

Noipoi

Howdy!
Eeeehhhhh

If not them, there’s other choices y’all are sleeping on — Asgore, Undyne, Mettaton, cough Asriel cough
I agree that it would be Frisk, but those other characters aren't nearly as memed as Sans is.
I mean sure, they have memes. But Sans is a meme himself at this point.

Shroob

Sup?
Man...

What if we're actually lowballing the character announcements tomorrow?

Remember how everyone thought that the Smash Direct would have 1 newcomer and 1-2 echoes?

I'm not going to go crazy, but I could see 1-2 newcomers and 2-3 echoes tomorrow, to be honest.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
If Sans gets in, he'd make a much better stage than a character. Maybe as part of some indies DLC pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom