• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Knowing you from this forum i recognize your well intended poetic nonsense. 1000% sure there was no harm meant.
Lol. Thanks. I’ll just take my failings and leave it at that. It’s not easy to read a crowd on a forum.

Edit: TheYungLink TheYungLink If I bothered you at all, I apologize. It was meant to undermine your cringe post as a joke. And I admit it really could have been better.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Came back to find utter confusion. Hope I don't add fuel to the fire :yoshi:
You say "utter confusion" like that's something new for this thread. :p

D

Deleted member

Came back to find utter confusion. Hope I don't add fuel to the fire :yoshi:
The only thing of note is that I am now up to 18 different and unique Scott the Woz reaction images. This folder will definitely come in handy some day!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Lol. Thanks. I’ll just take my failings and leave it at that. It’s not easy to read a crowd on a forum.

Edit: TheYungLink TheYungLink If I bothered you at all, I apologize. It was meant to undermine your cringe post as a joke. And I admit it really could have been better.
Yeah you crossed a line. Just remember that:

A) the proper term is "transgender" and that
B) it's not a "trend". The only reason it feels like it's a "trend" is because trans acceptance has become more and more widespread, meaning that more trans people are feeling okay coming out of the woodwork and feel less fear that they'll be persecuted or mocked on the internet.

I have quite a few transgender friends online and I don't even question their humanity, compared to 5 years ago when I was more ignorant. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're being as sincere as you say you are, so do yourself a favor and learn more about gender and sex.

Or make some transgender friends. The ones I have a pretty darn cool and if you're really nice they can even educate you on some of the specifics you may be confused about.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
YOU TAKE ETIKA OVER THIS?!?

EarthBound is a franchise. Not MOTHER, Earthbound. How does he not know the name of the... whatever.

I don't even mind that he's fake, he's just bad at being fake.

like one of your friends pass away and you keep doing your bit in a video to honor him?

Like, bruh that's scary. No joke that's terrifying in a subtle spooky way.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think, in these times with no real news, with pseudo-leakers popping up left and right starving for undeserved attention and speculation devolving into cringe level parody, we should all take a moment to just stop, and thank Mr. Sakurai and his incredibly talented team of programmers and artists.

Right now, we know this game has:
- Nearly 70 characters confirmed, many of the new ones being highly requested by fans for a very long time.
-103 Stages, most of which with both a Battlefield and Omega form.
- 28 hours of music.
- Numerous customization options to allow a wide range of casual and competitive players to enjoy they game in their own way.

The game already seems to dwarf, anything else in the series already and it is still not even fully revealed. I am honestly, amazed.
I'm sure Smash Ultimate dwarfs the content of most games.

Also, it should be "at least 103 stages", because...:

A) If there are any more third parties from franchises not already represented (e.g. Crash, Agumon, Heihachi, Nightmare, Shantae, etc) then they will get a stage.
B) New characters from new franchises in general (e.g. Isaac, Dillon) will probably get stages.
C) Even if Sakurai said "there are 103 stages", that's not necessarily a definitive statement. If 103 stages were truly all we were getting, then they most certainly would have center-justified the bottom row.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yeah you crossed a line. Just remember that:

A) the proper term is "transgender" and that
B) it's not a "trend". The only reason it feels like it's a "trend" is because trans acceptance has become more and more widespread, meaning that more trans people are feeling okay coming out of the woodwork and feel less fear that they'll be persecuted or mocked on the internet.

I have quite a few transgender friends online and I don't even question their humanity, compared to 5 years ago when I was more ignorant. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're being as sincere as you say you are, so do yourself a favor and learn more about gender and sex.

Or make some transgender friends. The ones I have a pretty darn cool and if you're really nice they can even educate you on some of the specifics you may be confused about.
I do have transgender friends and, beyond that, family, but my terminology is most certainly not up to par. I accept anyone as they are and nothing beyond a poor personality will cause me to think poorly of another person.

My sense of humor is far-reaching and I am not always as careful as I should be. I apologize for that.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
How does the topic of trans people show up this much in a thread about Smash Bros.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So here's a little game.

Disregard how likely you think the characters are.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

A) If there are any more third parties from franchises not already represented (e.g. Crash, Agumon, Heihachi, Nightmare, Shantae, etc) then they will get a stage.
B) New characters from new franchises in general (e.g. Isaac, Dillon) will probably get stages.
C) Even if Sakurai said "there are 103 stages", that's not necessarily a definitive statement. If 103 stages were truly all we were getting, then they most certainly would have center-justified the bottom row.
Imagine there being a person out there who thinks the content in this game isn't worth the price.

D

Deleted member

EarthBound is a franchise. Not MOTHER, Earthbound.

like one of your friends pass away and you keep doing your bit in a video to honor him?

But wait... MOTHER is the Japanese name for EarthBound?

oh goD OH GOD.png

Noipoi

Howdy!
So here's a little game.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red
Incineroar-HELL YEAH!
Isabelle-HELL YEAH!
Geno-HELL YEAH!
Bandanna Dee-Awesome!
Isaac-Awesome!
Skull Kid-cool
Shadow-cool
Ken-cool
Diskun-I appreciate how wacky this is.

The rest I couldn't care less about.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
They could sell Brawl HD and I'm pretty sure it'd sell more than BotW, lol.
Everyone would buy it simply because of their fond memories of subspace, but then they'd realize...oh no, the gameplay kinda sucks, and they only liked the cutscenes.

Shroob

Sup?
So here's a little game.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red
My answer is yes to all of the above.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725

Without going out of my way to look at the average content in most games like Smash, or just fighting/party games in general, I would have to agree completely. I dont know how you would quantify content from different games though, especially say, MMORPGs. That might be interesting to look into in the future though.

As for your point about additional stages, what you say is definitely true. More is still possible. Though, I do have somewhat an issue with the phrase "...all we are getting...". It seems to carry a connotation of discontent I dont fully understand. I am not remotely insinuating that was your intent, it is just that mentality has been prevalent along with that phrase and it does, genuinely annoy me.

Than again, I am not working on this game, I have no stake in it in anyway other then that of a consumer, so I cannot really justify feeling that way.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

EarthBound is a franchise. Not MOTHER, Earthbound.

I don't like MatPat because he made a transphobic joke in one of his videos and when one of my friends criticized it on Twitter, he responded to her that she was wrong and trying to start a "witch hunt."

When a YouTube personality with over a million subscribers and a HUGE Twitter following responds to well-justified criticism by publically putting that person down...do you know what happens?

That personality's Twitter followers descend upon that person like clockwork and harass them, which, in the post-GooberGrape world, means that their social media becomes hell, if not for a few weeks then up to a few months. It's despicable what MatPat did, especially since he never owned up to it.

So don't worry, I have a more important reason for hating him than just thinking the "Sans is Ness" video is stupid.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Did I miss some MatPat bashing?! Of all the times to leave the thread...

So, uh, what happened in the past 50 or so pages? Saw something about Skull Kid disconfirmed
Apparently, a trusted source said that Skull Kid isn't a fighter, but a boss. They said that they revealed this to avoid another Waluigi situation.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Everyone would buy it simply because of their fond memories of subspace, but then they'd realize...oh no, the gameplay kinda sucks, and they only liked the cutscenes.
Actually I liked the gameplay too, but I try not to say it much.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
So here's a little game.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red
Incineroar - Mildly happy
Ken - meh
Isabelle - meh
Geno - meh
Isaac - meh
Monster Hunter - meh
Lloyd Irving - meh
Dixie King - fairly happy
Impa - neutral
Skull Kid - meh
Black Shadow - meh
Bandana Waddle Dee - meh
Ninten - meh
Diskun - who?? meh
Raiden - MGR Raiden? mildly happy
Big Boss - meh
Shadow - Very happy
Elma - Very happy
Rex and Pyra - Extremely happy
Jeanne - meh
Spring Man - Super meh
Wonder Red - meh

Last edited:
I don't like MatPat because he made a transphobic joke in one of his videos and when one of my friends criticized it on Twitter, he responded to her that she was wrong and trying to start a "witch hunt."

When a YouTube personality with over a million subscribers and a HUGE Twitter following responds to well-justified criticism by publically putting that person down...do you know what happens?

That personality's Twitter followers descend upon that person like clockwork and harass them, which, in the post-GooberGrape world, means that their social media becomes hell, if not for a few weeks then up to a few months. It's despicable what MatPat did, especially since he never owned up to it.

So don't worry, I have a more important reason for hating him than just thinking the "Sans is Ness" video is stupid.
WTF does this have to do with Smash though?

Wambo

Smash Ace
Actually I liked the gameplay too, but I try not to say it much.
I liked the gameplay too, but I'd rather a future adventure mode be set in Nintendo worlds, like Melee's adventure mode.

Seriously though, escaping Brinstar Depths and moving through an F-Zero track ON FOOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A RACE is way cooler than running through a boring, desolate wasteland/forest.

Shroob

Sup?
"Flawed" is the worst description I think Subspace Emissary deserves. It's not bad at all...
It's not 'bad', but it's annoyingly long.

All they had to do was more focus on actual in-game universes and less of "Generic jungle/cave".

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Incineroar - meh
Ken - meh
Isabelle - Not bad
Geno - Top tier choice
Isaac - meh
Monster Hunter - meh
Lloyd Irving - meh
Dixie Kong - Good
Impa - Good
Skull Kid - Top tier choice
Black Shadow - Good
Bandana Waddle Dee - Good
Ninten - Good
Diskun - who....?
Raiden - meh
Big Boss - Don't feel he's necessary, though I love Metal Gear.
Shadow - meh
Elma - Not bad
Rex and Pyra - Top tier choice
Jeanne - meh
Spring Man - Not bad
Wonder Red - meh

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
"Flawed" is the worst description I think Subspace Emissary deserves. It's not bad at all...
It's ok at best in normal gameplay. Bosses can be pretty fun. It's a worse Adventure mode. I'll keep saying it till the day I die.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Without going out of my way to look at the average content in most games like Smash, or just fighting/party games in general, I would have to agree completely. I dont know how you would quantify content from different games though, especially say, MMORPGs. That might be interesting to look into in the future though.

As for your point about additional stages, what you say is definitely true. More is still possible. Though, I do have somewhat an issue with the phrase "...all we are getting...". It seems to carry a connotation of discontent I dont fully understand. I am not remotely insinuating that was your intent, it is just that mentality has been prevalent along with that phrase and it does, genuinely annoy me.

Than again, I am not working on this game, I have no stake in it in anyway other then that of a consumer, so I cannot really justify feeling that way.
There was no "mentality" within what I said, it was a linguistic requirement of the point I was making.

Also, to nitpick, you misquoted me: you said "all we are getting", when I said "all we were getting".

osby

Smash Obsessed
It has it faults but it mostly gets slack for not being Melee's Adventure Mode. It was my favourite part about Brawl, though. Liked it a lot better than its counterpart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom