• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Hold up, why is Quote being touted as THE indie guy? Shantae 1 came out in 2002 and Cave Story first released in 2004 so why is Quote so much more important?

Legitimate question here. Not really biased one way or the other cause I like them both but I don't get that comparison. Is it cause Cave Story did better?
Well Cave Story went on to become a bit of an indie icon not long after it came out and Shantae was footnote on the GBC before it resurfaced back with the recent outings.

Thought you could argue that Touhou is the bigger indie of either but... It's Touhou.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Hold up, why is Quote being touted as THE indie guy? Shantae 1 came out in 2002 and Cave Story first released in 2004 so why is Quote so much more important?

Legitimate question here. Not really biased one way or the other cause I like them both but I don't get that comparison. Is it cause Cave Story did better?
That, and Cave Story really embodies the whole indie story. Just one guy working for 5 yrs doing everything himself. Shantae at least had like a legit company and distribution. I doubt your average person seeing Shantae in the store realized there was any difference between it and non-indie games. Cave Story on the other hand you download of a homemade website for free.

TL;DR - The story of Cave Story's development speaks more to people's sense of what it means to be indie. One hobbyist, doing it all without resources, releasing for free just happy to have people play, then exploding so much in popularity that over 10 yrs later it's still getting ports and now even gets physical releases.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Shantae is only popular thanks to band wagon (?)

It would be funny... But I imagine that I would get the most uninspired answers because of the character xD

Most Wanted: Micaiah
Uh um..... Micaiah, more like "She'll never be in, yah?"
Boshi? more like "BOOOOOooooooooo sheeeeit"
Sorry man

Last edited:
Until we wait for another """"""""""leak"""""""""" howbout if we play a little game?
We write down our most wanted character to be in Smash. and then others have to roast it
Smells like roast in here :p

Most wanted: Shantae
Wait... who?

My most wanted:
Paper Mario. Come get me gang.

Black Shadow from F-Zero, but this one. Not the wimpy baby GX one. The Chad GP/Climax one.
I'll let Captain Falcon do this one:

Most wanted: Skull Kid

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That, and Cave Story really embodies the whole indie story. Just one guy working for 5 yrs doing everything himself. Shantae at least had like a legit company and distribution. I doubt your average person seeing Shantae in the store realized there was any difference between it and non-indie games. Cave Story on the other hand you download of a homemade website for free.

TL;DR - The story of Cave Story's development speaks more to people's sense of what it means to be indie. One hobbyist, doing it all without resources, releasing for free just happy to have people play, then exploding so much in popularity that over 10 yrs later it's still getting ports and now even gets physical releases.
That ain't a TL;DR Ench

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Can we keep the "leak" posts in a separate thread, in order to filter the discussion here? It seems irrelevant and a waste of space. At least keeping each leak recorded with status (ie disproven) in a dedicated thread would help people find which ones they care about easier (not to mention maintaining a nice structure).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well, first of all, you have to remember "THE indie guy" is a debatable title to have, so you'll have to take it with a grain of salt.

But there's a number of reasons why people especially like Quote (and Curly Brace).
  • He was created by a singular person over 5 years' worth of work.
  • It's entirely self-published, so other companies "giving it a helping hand" isn't a factor.
  • He released his game free, on the internet, for everyone to play, meaning all it took for you to experience the game was a PC.
  • The game released pretty much everywhere, and even without a language patch, the gameplay itself could still be enjoyed.
  • The game itself is massive, with tons of secrets, and increasingly difficult areas, something that's really unprecedented for a free game made in 2004. This combined with the fact that ports and rereleases and remakes of it have given it more content on top of it.
  • The game's influence on other indies and gaming as a whole can be clearly seen.
  • And above all else, it's just a really fun game, that's stood the test of time.

Now, if we were to argue indie history, I'm going to say Reimu Hakurei of the Touhou franchise is THE indie gal.
She's made by one dude fueled by alcohol and anime girls, all the way back in 1996.
Before "indie" was even a concept, this man was developing and defining a genre by HIMSELF, on the PC-98.
And boy oh boy has Touhou grown to be a massive behemoth in Japan. The only thing stopping Touhou from taking over the world and the creator being maybe the richest man over there is that he just likes working alone and drinking beer.
The fans themselves are complete total maniacs too. They've practically repurposed Touhou into every kind of videogame genre you could think of.

Last edited:

Chrono.

All the Cave Story talk put me in the mood to play it again.

I should actually buy it this time, as I've only played a homebrew port of the original for PSP like years ago.

Enchess

Smash Lord
That ain't a TL;DR Ench
Yeah, I was going to go back and add paragraphs talking about it's influence in other games which are popular in their own right, like Iconoclasts, but then I was lazy and didn't and forgot to remove the "TL;DR" haha

Edit: also "Ench" is definitely a new one. Reminds me of a time a classmate in high school realized I had never had a nickname before and tried to make one. He ended up with "The Boa". It didn't catch on.

Last edited:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Having caught up on roughly 100+ pages...were *any* of these recent leaks remotely plausible?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Can we keep the "leak" posts in a separate thread, in order to filter the discussion here? It seems irrelevant and a waste of space. At least keeping each leak recorded with status (ie disproven) in a dedicated thread would help people find which ones they care about easier (not to mention maintaining a nice structure).
Take that one up with Cyn Cyn . As far as I know it's expressly forbidden. We had something like that for Sm4sh speculation and it worked horribly. It's why I've operated out of this thread for the last three or so months.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

That and Quote being a Japanese indie icon whose game is widely praised worldwide, he is the indie with the best chance to get in Smash. Although for me personally, I do not think we will be getting indies at all. We will probably see all indies as Assists and/or trophies.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, I was going to go back and add paragraphs talking about it's influence in other games which are popular in their own right, like Iconoclasts, but then I was lazy and didn't and forgot to remove the "TL;DR" haha

Edit: also "Ench" is definitely a new one. Reminds me of a time a classmate in high school realized I had never had a nickname before and tried to make one. He ended up with "The Boa". It didn't catch on.
I agree with you though! Cave Story's great.

I just like nicknaming! Ench rolls off the tongue.

Having caught up on roughly 100+ pages...were *any* of these recent leaks remotely plausible?
Nah fam

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Can we just declare all leaks and footage fake until December 7th.
Edit: Excluding official directs

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Take that one up with Cyn Cyn . As far as I know it's expressly forbidden. We had something like that for Sm4sh speculation and it worked horribly. It's why I've operated out of this thread for the last three or so months.
Was that a topic, or are you talking about the leaks group? I liked that.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Hey, if we're talking indie reps. I'm going to hard-push Cave Story

QUOTE AND CURLY FOR SMASH, GUYS.
man, if only Nicalis isn't being gutter trash atm
i don't want Sakurai to take their cruddy spinoff/CS3D models for a trophy, please god no

Noipoi

Howdy!

Wait... who?

Skull Kid's a whiny brat who's so simple minded a flat piece of wood took over his mind and almost used him to destroy the world.
the only person who thinks he's funny is himself.
The Giants left him all alone for a reason.

Most Wanted: Incineroar

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I agree with you though! Cave Story's great.

I just like nicknaming! Ench rolls off the tongue.

Nah fam
It does, it just weirds me out since "Enchess" is a self-made nickname derived from my real one in the first place, so "Ench" is a nickname of a nickname.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Wait... who?

You gonna tell me about how he ACTUALLY won that one poll back in the pre-Smash 4 days so he's probably an instant lock due to being the ABSOLUTE MOST ADORED Zelda character not in the game and how Majora's Mask DESERVES REPRESENTATION over all these other stupid characters?
If so go ahead that's what the majority do here.

(for the record...I want him too!)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Was Boshi the offspring of Yoshi and Birdo?
*shrugs* Could be. In my headcannon I think of him as the Blue Yoshi in Yoshi's Island that didn't take too kindly to getting snubbed from being the hero that defeated Baby Bowser (Blue Yoshi was always the 8th stage Yoshi EXCEPT the last one) and decided to become a ******* in response...
Can we just declare all leaks and footage fake until December 7th.
Edit: Excluding official directs
My motto...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
man, if only Nicalis isn't being gutter trash atm
i don't want Sakurai to take their cruddy spinoff/CS3D models for a trophy, please god no
God, I hope not

Yeesh

Either go with his cute chibi design

Or his anime'd design

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Like Batman, people care about him when he puts on the mask.
Unlike Batman, he's literally a block of wood underneath.

My most wanted: Sora (shoes are off-limits, too easy)
I'll join the fray with you guys.

Most Wanted: Banjo-Kazooie (Now that K. Rool and Ridley are revealed)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Most Wanted: Incineroar
Where to even start.

You look like a Skylanders reject.

We already have a fire-breathing pokemon that people like.

If we really needed a grappler, we'd just get Zangief. He's way less silly looking.

*ahem*

Most wanted: Midna + Wolf Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom