• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Would you trust your most wanted character to cook all 3 meals of the day for you for the rest of your life?
lol I missed this question. I like this type - we need more off-the-wall questions like this.

However...

I think I'm good. I'm a real meat-and-potatoes kind of guy, so the Nordic style of cooking sounds fine.

I don't really know what Tails is capable of though, so I think I'll just stick to Skyrim specialties.
...just steer clear of Hogni Red-Arm's meat from the Markarth market...I hear that there's something off there...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This leak is giving me Gothitelle flashbacks, look at it, it's almost the exact same setup

original chanchanchanchan post

They clash too so is this the new way to do "plausible leaks?" (ignoring that the Richter prediction was the big thing, not the code spelunking.)

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
My problem with Captain Toad is it's a PLATFORMING fighter--what distinguishes Smash from many other fighters is how it takes it's cues from the platforming games its traditional characters originated in. It seems like in order to stay true to the character of Captain Toad, like his games, you'd have to design the stages to facilitate his play style, which is backwards.

Yes, of course you could design a moveset without him jumping--any character, no matter how stupid, can be made to have a moveset (Steve, for instance :p). The wacky characters where Sakurai would have to take major artistic liberties, like Duck Hunt, tend to be because they're special characters. The question is, would Sakurai value a popular character without a natural moveset, or a less popular character with a more viable moveset? Ideally, he'd pick characters with both, but it would likely lean the latter. I personally don't like the idea of putting in a character for the sake of the character alone (and I feel the same way about Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Geno, but they all have way more potential still).

All that having been said--I wouldn't be salty if Sakurai put Captain Toad in. I'd just think of it as highly unlikely. And personally, I'd rather have a Toad/Toadette combo to Captain Toad--way more interesting possibilities.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don’t think we’re getting Felix guys.

Like Isaac I think is 50/50 but I think we’d only get Felix if Isaac was non-Ballot like Castlevania was, that’s how we got Richter.

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
Isn't Captain Toad already deconfirmed though due to appearing in New Donk City?
Yeah virtually deconfirmed at this point. Sure some might cite 'Alfonzo' but really he's just a backround character, it wouldn't make sense for Sakurai to put him in the backround of the stage if he didn't intentionally play a focal point and then add playable Captain Toad.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Would you trust your most wanted character to cook all 3 meals of the day for you for the rest of your life?
Right now I have three most wanteds so i'll go through my options.

Incineroar would probably burn my food, on purpose, because he's a douchebag.
Isabelle seems like she'd be pretty good at cooking. Maybe not amazing but it looks like she's got her life together.
Geno is a shapeless star spirit inhabiting a doll. I don't think shapeless star spirits know how to cook. I don't think star spirits require sustenance.

I'm going with Isabelle.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Isn't Captain Toad already deconfirmed though due to appearing in New Donk City?
Stage appearances have always been iffy, but I consider that the best representation he'll get. I was just responding to those asking why Captain Toad was popular--and I can't figure out why, other than people like the character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
All that having been said--I wouldn't be salty if Sakurai put Captain Toad in. I'd just think of it as highly unlikely. And personally, I'd rather have a Toad/Toadette combo to Captain Toad--way more interesting possibilities.
That's about as unlikely, if not even moreso unless Peach gets to finally ditch Toad being her Special for good. Though I can't see it ever happening now that it's been going on 3 games in a row. At least Captain Toad had established a more stronger identity independent from Peach up to this point...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
- Elma: probably wouldn’t cook as well as Lin, but at least she wouldn’t try to cook Tatsu lmao
- Bandana Waddle Dee: just don’t let him prepare dessert cause he’ll eat it himself
- Lloyd: if he’s maxed out his cooking skill, then YES

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not saying I'm a Captain Toad supporter (because I'm not), but it's not really a deconfirmation.

He's just a background character, so they can do like Toon Link for Spirit Train or Dedede for Dream Land and just remove him from the background when he's in that specific stage.

New Donk City ultimately proves nothing.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I don’t think we’re getting Felix guys.

Like Isaac I think is 50/50 but I think we’d only get Felix if Isaac was non-Ballot like Castlevania was, that’s how we got Richter.
Where do people keep getting the idea that Castlevania was non ballot?

Richter was non ballot, Simon probably was ballot and they figured Richter was an easy bonus to do. I don't get how Isaac/Felix couldn't be a similar situation

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Felix I can honestly see being an Echo of Isaac although I think Matthew would make a lot more sense. I think Isaac is getting in. Sakurai left a hint with an image where a group of characters are facing Rathatos positioned the same way how you fight enemies in the Golden Sun games.

It's also pretty clear too the newcomers are based on the ballot since we've got Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, King K. Rool and Ridley and Isaac was really high up there.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
My problem with Captain Toad is it's a PLATFORMING fighter--what distinguishes Smash from many other fighters is how it takes it's cues from the platforming games its traditional characters originated in. It seems like in order to stay true to the character of Captain Toad, like his games, you'd have to design the stages to facilitate his play style, which is backwards.

Yes, of course you could design a moveset without him jumping--any character, no matter how stupid, can be made to have a moveset (Steve, for instance :p). The wacky characters where Sakurai would have to take major artistic liberties, like Duck Hunt, tend to be because they're special characters. The question is, would Sakurai value a popular character without a natural moveset, or a less popular character with a more viable moveset? Ideally, he'd pick characters with both, but it would likely lean the latter. I personally don't like the idea of putting in a character for the sake of the character alone (and I feel the same way about Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Geno, but they all have way more potential still).

Captain Toad is a puzzle game and his moveset should pull from that, not that he's unable to jump. Just give him a weak jump like Mac, or have it so where he can incorporate his backpack to effect how high he can jump. Plus, Toad's are known to have weak jumps as seen in Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3D World, the weak jump should already be incorporated. There's also that one scene at the end of the game where he jumps to get inside the clear pipe so :ultpacman:.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That's about as unlikely, if not even moreso unless Peach gets to finally ditch Toad being her Special for good. Though I can't see it ever happening now that it's been going on 3 games in a row. At least Captain Toad had established a more stronger identity independent from Peach up to this point...
I agree it's unlikely, I'd say it's for sure not happening. I was just stating my preference, as I have zero interest in Captain Toad, but would be interesting to see what regular toad could do. I always thought Toad being in Peach's moveset was too silly (and looks really weird), so I'd be happy for her to ditch Toad. Not gonna happen, but I don't consider Captain Toad a welcomed compromise either.

EDIT:
Captain Toad is a puzzle game and his moveset should pull from that, not that he's unable to jump. Just give him a weak jump like Mac, or have it so where he can incorporate his backpack to effect how high he can jump. Plus, Toad's are known to have weak jumps as seen in Super Mario Bros 2 and Super Mario 3D World, the weak jump should already be incorporated. There's also that one scene at the end of the game where he jumps to get inside the clear pipe so :ultpacman:.
Which is why I say I wouldn't be salty if he's in, I just can't understand the appeal myself. The movesets people have come up with seem like a workaround for a hindrance, rather than naturally adding to the gameplay from his unique attributes. If Sakurai wanted him, I'm sure he could come up with something--I just find the likelihood rather small. I just haven't seen why people want him in as a fighter, other than liking the character, but I'm willing and hopeful for someone to change my mind.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
But Boshi is a Mario character.

Wouldn't that assumption mean that, even if Geno gets in, Boshi has literally zero chance ever? :V
Yoshi is also a Mario character, though. Even if he has his own sub-franchise, he still originates from Mario. You could argue he's both a Mario rep and a Yoshi rep.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Where do people keep getting the idea that Castlevania was non ballot?

Richter was non ballot, Simon probably was ballot and they figured Richter was an easy bonus to do. I don't get how Isaac/Felix couldn't be a similar situation
A good chunk of Simon's moves, Final Smash included, are taken from Richter. This makes me think that they just added him for the sake of being more accurate while still having the more iconic Simon.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
You know the sad thing about the whole Smash leak thing is that I was going to a Fake Deathborn leak, but the thing is that Deathborn renders are so old that the Smash 4 trophy of him looks better than the real render...

I desperately want a new f-zero please

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
As said he was also up there in the ballot which most of the newcomers (Echos included) have been.
That's an assumption. We don't have official ballot information. The only thing we know regarding new characters and the ballot is K. Rool getting a lot of votes.

Also Chrom being popular in Japan and Dark Samus in the west.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
As said he was also up there in the ballot which most of the newcomers (Echos included) have been.
That's a good point as he probably was. But if we're gonna use the Ratholos hint as legit, then the chairs and DK pose should be as well.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's a good point as he probably was. But if we're gonna use the Ratholos hint as legit, then the chairs and DK pose should be as well.
I can believe the chairs (Seems to imply the fairies associated with Skull Kid) since along with the the pillows on the right seems to indicate Skull Kid. Sakurai did the exact same thing with K. Rool with that ladder and jungle plants.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Gah, MORE complaining about Captain Toad's moveset? People are persistent!!!
It's kind of odd too since Captain was already deconfirmed eons ago, so IDK if there's too much substantial discussion going to come out about him during this period. :dr-_-:

I agree it's unlikely, I'd say it's for sure not happening. I was just stating my preference, as I have zero interest in Captain Toad, but would be interesting to see what regular toad could do. I always thought Toad being in Peach's moveset was too silly (and looks really weird), so I'd be happy for her to ditch Toad. Not gonna happen, but I don't consider Captain Toad a welcomed compromise either.
I mainly wanna roll with the Captain due his more established identity because Toads today really have been designated on the whole"civil NPC"-thing in abundance, and there's nothing allowed to let them build their own character (unlike Bandana Dee). Toad being Peach's special these days doesn't help either, and Captain seems to drive well enough to establish himself as a sole Toad who could be passed the old well-known attributes about the race (weak jump but tons of power if put on Smash)

The moveset potential arguments can go all over the place with certain characters, but it's so weird that people here are so strangely adamant and emphasizing on about how Captain Toad's hoplessness is apparently the biggest detracting factor on him as a playable fighter - when Smash Bros has on and on not given a damn about characters' canon abilities and taken liberties particular characters despite whatever the fanbase has been wanting or claiming.

It's why I can't ever play as Wario Land-based Wario in this series.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Am not following this logic.
Cause Sakurai would likely want to focus on getting the Ballot characters out first, rather than just having Echoes follow for each one in suit.

For Castlevania it was likely different because he most likely planned for it to be represented from the beginning stages.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'm going to explore this with 3 chars I really want:

Ken Masters - Rich AF canonically and was probably spoiled as **** with no need to learn how to cook up to the day he went to train with Ryu. Even then, I don't think he learned proper cooking techniques, probably just rice and how to live off the land tbh. Then after his training he went back to being rich. So no, I wouldn't trust him with cooking food.

Rayman - I am unsure if there are any instances where we see if he even has to eat, but he has to sleep so lets just figure he does. We do know, however, that he can magically spawn any food of your choice by drawing an outline of it. If he could handle appeasing the Rabbids he can handle me.

Roll - She is literally Dr. Lights house keeper, and though I don't think she eats herself being a robot and all, I'm pretty sure she make his food. And Dr. Light is a plump happy gentleman. I'd be more than happy to have her cook for me.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Cause Sakurai would likely want to focus on getting the Ballot characters out first, rather than just having Echoes follow for each one in suit.

For Castlevania it was likely different because he most likely planned for it to be represented from the beginning stages.
This is...a lot of assumptions and I still don't think I really follow...
K. Rool didn't get an Echo, and he was the Ballot king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom