• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And we all know if they’re an alt for someone, they’re deconfirmed...wonder if this pattern will die
Well, the fact that Samus lost her Dark Samus alt lead people to suspect her as a playable character, and look what happened.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Catching up lol

I never had a problem how Shulk was portrayed in Smash Bros. Even if it differed from the source material it still made for unique and interesting fighter regardless. I was just happy enough that he was there for me to main in Smash 4 frankly.

Geno has other barriers that characters like Isaac don't have since Isaac is not a 3rd party character. Same thing with Karate Joe, by default 1st party characters are simply easier to work with.

I'd say because Elma has a unique fighting style that differs from even other sword users in Smash and would not be another variation on Mario frankly.

I think Final Fantasy has the biggest issue when it comes to music licensing. I'm not sure if Dragon Quest or other SE series have such severe problems.

Smash Leaks tend to piggyback based on popular discussion in the community or to shake up said conversation so this doesn't really tend to surprise me.

I would doubt that even if Shantae is in the game. The Nindies showcases exist to serve a very specific purpose. Smash Bros tends to be all consuming and revealing Smash information during the showcase would likely completely undermine the indies being promoted. It would just be better off for her to be revealed in a regular direct where it's not as problematic.
I just woke up and fam what are you on

Paper Mario
-has partners
-literally CANNOT do some of the moves Mario does, such as Mario's side special and down special
-would be incredibly unique by virtue of being one of the only 2D characters in the game
-could utilize badges alongside items in an entirely different manner from Mario, as he does in his own RPG series
-has numerous techniques involving folding, such as recovery by means of folding into an airplane
-hell, he could even use stickers to produce a huge variety of effects
-his hammer could be used in numerous ways, could even be thrown
-he also has the power of the stars from TTYD, all unique 8 of them
-again. has partners. how can you forget this. his partners could literally work for every one of his specials beautifully.

You're not seriously trying to tell me Paper Mario, who has multiple games worth of partners, techniques, special items and badges, hammers and gimmicks such as summoning the stars in TTYD, is less unique than Elma?

Hate to sound rude or disrespectful, but this is the most common complete misconception spread about Paper Mario and I don't see why it keeps getting spread. Do Samus and Zero Suit Samus fight nearly the same at ALL? No? So then why would Mario and Paper Mario?

Also, you yourself implied Elma would still be a sword user, nonetheless. Paper Mario isn't like any other character in Smash to date and I could debate for hours about this. Also, you're leaving out how not only does Paper Mario have an entirely unique moveset on his side, he has multiple beloved games and a frequent attendance on Nintendo consoles, having appeared on every generation since the Nintendo 64 with one major game per cycle. He also is one of the few Nintendo IP's of his scale to not have a character in Smash yet-I'd be willing to argue the IP on his scale. Alongside this, he's had over a decade to establish himself as a classic Nintendo character with immeasurable differences from Mario, both the character and the series.

But again, sorry if this is rude! Have a good day. Just please consider this before you jump to assumptions about Paper Mario, because I am willing to explain more in depth why these assumptions simply aren't true.

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I know this is off topic, but there’s been a mass shooting in Florida at a video game tournament. Just be praying for the victims and their families.

To stay on topic tho, I agree a character probably can’t make it in if an alt of them already exists on another one ei Galacta Knight

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Isn't Dark Pit still a Pit skin as well?
Pretty sure that was removed in Smash 4. I remember it generated a lot of talk back then because DP had been teased at the end of Palutena's trailer.

He's still got a dark alt, but not a Dark Pit one specifically.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
God, I just want Sakurai to confirm how many more characters we should expect. "A few" could be 2 or 6. Does "a few" include Echo fighters? Is he saying "a few" more to troll us (unlikely but you never know)?

I would be much much happier knowing HOW MANY more to expect, rather than WHO to expect in the next 3 months. It lets us manage expectations that much better.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Where’s Rosalina and Bowser Jr...anywho...Can’t top this, but here I goes (based on when I unlocked and saw for the first time)

64 (Age Unborn): not even gonna count this one
Melee (2, but didn’t play until 5-6): :linkmelee::falconmelee::dkmelee::sheikmelee::drmario::samusmelee::mariomelee::zeldamelee::bowsermelee::pichumelee::yoshimelee::nessmelee::luigimelee::foxmelee::icsmelee::kirbymelee::jigglypuffmelee::peachmelee::pikachumelee::younglinkmelee: (who)...was my first video game ever, so I get an excuse
Brawl (9): :wario::diddy::toonlink:|:metaknight::snake::dedede::wolf::sonic:(who I ended up loving as a character and series):olimar::rob::lucas::ganondorf::gw::pit:(whom I grew to love as a character):zerosuitsamus:(didn’t know Samus was a female until the SSE showed the booty and name):lucario::ivysaur::charizard::squirtle:(when air started to know more about Pokémon):pt:(thought he was Ash):marth:(wow he speaks weird...didn’t know better):ike:(fire sword)
3DS/Wii U (15)::4pit:(Uprising Pit being counted because **** you):rosalina::4bayonetta::4bowserjr::4corrinf::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4pacman::4palutena::4ryu::4wiifit::4miif::4mii::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:|:4megaman:(knew of him, but not too much):4feroy:(only knew of thanks to him getting cut from Brawl and being made fun of...wasn’t into FE much yet)|:4lucina::4robinm:(they got me to try out Awakening and FE overall for a 2nd time...never looked back):4villager::4alph::4greninja::4cloud:(a weird Pokémon name, a murderer, a thing, and...Cloud)
Ultimate (19): :ultinkling::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultchrom:|:ultdarksamus::ultsimon:(knew a bit of both)|:ultrichter:...who
I actually forgot Bowser Jr., and I could have sworn Rosalina was already on the list, which is why I forgot her.

I added Bowser Jr. before you posted, but I didn't realise Rosalina was missing, so... thanks for that. :laugh:
---
Fun fact, I had actually heard of Fire Emblem before Smash; I had a "gaming" magazine it was more of a DBZ, Pokémon & Digimon + Gaming magazine that talked about that hot new Game Boy Advance that was about to come out, and talked about the games that were gonna come with it.

This is what it said:
Essential Collector's Guide said:
Fire Emblem - Maiden of the Dark
The very first screen shots of this real-time strategy/RPG hybrid have just arrived from Japan, but at this point no firm U.K. release date has been announced.

Nevertheless, we're extremely excited to see these great screen shots and to learn that yet another super-deep RPG game is in the works is in the works for Game Boy Advance.

The Fire Emblem series is a very popular franchise in Japan, which has appeared on both the NES and Super NES. The storyline is based on a courageous hero who must protect his homeland from a brutal invasion by a neighbouring kingdom. The two kingdoms have lived peacefully for hundreds of years, which gives the hero a mystery to solve along with his quest to save his home.
It included all three pictures that I posted in this post a few pages ago.

I transcribed exactly what they wrote, because I still have the page from the magazine, and I have some thoughts.

1) Yes, they actually called Fire Emblem a real-time strategy game.
2) When you break down the plot like that, you can see how much Fire Emblem uses that specific plotline.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Braxien was actually quite well received with it's design. Fennekin line was at the forefront of greatness until Delphox was revealed.

On the subject of Incineroar, it was not well received since it became a bipedal, and had characteristics of a fighting type (a belt, muscles, etc). When it was revealed as Fire/Dark, that's when things began turning around for it. It's personality as a heel fighter who's great with kids solidified it as well thought out addition to the starters. Lastly, it's Z move is hilariously animated and Intimidate being a Hidden Ability is icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, that picture leak not only being hilariously fake feels like it's backtracking super hard to match Vergeben.

"Ah ****! I forgot Ken and a SE rep! Better throw in Ken and Geno!"

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yes, they actually called Fire Emblem a real-time strategy game.
Fun fact, they were actually going to make and RTS FE at one point, but it got scrapped because FE is supposed to be about slow, calculated decisions and keeping everyone alive.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
2) When you break down the plot like that, you can see how much Fire Emblem uses that specific plotline.
Well it's either that or "**** we gotta stop him before he invades us".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Slightly off topic, but for anyone viewing SB on a desktop, does the artwork of the Smashers on either side of the forum display look...oddly aligned?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I didn't play much of Gen 7 beyond completing the game, so I had honestly completely forgotten that Incineroar wasn't part Fighting type. Of all the Fire starters that are part Fighting type it's beyond weird that the wrestler isn't, like I'm sure there's some sort of contrived explanation as to how it makes sense that it's Dark type, but based on first impressions it's still weird. Feels like Incineroar and Emboar accidentally switched typings.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I just want the next newcomer to be an unsafe surprising character just to get over the "predictions with the same characters that Smash fans make get thrown off" cycle over with for this installment.

Shroob

Sup?
I didn't play much of Gen 7 beyond completing the game, so I had honestly completely forgotten that Incineroar wasn't part Fighting type. Of all the Fire starters that are part Fighting type it's beyond weird that the wrestler isn't, like I'm sure there's some sort of contrived explanation as to how it makes sense that it's Dark type, but based on first impressions it's still weird. Feels like Incineroar and Emboar accidentally switched typings.
It's not really that odd to be frank.

Fighting types have always been kind of like 'heroes'. It's why they're super-effective against the Dark(Evil) type.

Incineroar is a heel wrestler, someone who'd throw sand in your eyes or take crotch shots to win a match.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
:p
They listed Richter as an echo but forgot Simon

Silly boy/girl.
The Gardevoir rumor mentioned Richter, but not Simon. Simon retroactively removed from the game confirmed.

(of course this one has Incineroar instead of Gardevoir--not being serious)

Also, in terms of character layout--I've had to deal with being confused by the arbitrary layout with characters by series, unable to change it for a decade now, so it's only fair. :p It should be an option to toggle, in all seriousness, though. They do it that way on the website.

Chrono.

It's a wrestling trope.

Incineroar plays the heel/bad guy and heels typically fight dirty, hence the dark type.

On the flipside, someone like Hawlucha plays the white meat luchador babyface/good guy, so they get the fighting type.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Slightly off topic, but for anyone viewing SB on a desktop, does the artwork of the Smashers on either side of the forum display look...oddly aligned?
You're not the only one, mate.
Incineroar is a heel wrestler, wrestlers who employ dirty tactics to win. Like spitting in their opponents eyes, or hitting them in the crotch, or bashing them with chairs. That's why it's dark type, because it cheats to win.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Fun fact, they were actually going to make and RTS FE at one point, but it got scrapped because FE is supposed to be about slow, calculated decisions and keeping everyone alive.
Wasn't that Path of Radiance? I remember there being some weird things listed in it's design document.
Well it's either that or "**** we gotta stop him before he invades us".
There's Shadow Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem (technically), Binding Blade and Sacred Stones. Awakening gets off on a technicality because Ylisse had previously had a war with Plegia in the game's recent history, so they haven't been "living peacefully together".

Gaiden and Path of Radience have the plot, too... but Alm and Ike come from the outside to solve the problem.

Can't remember the specifics of Genealogy and Thracia.

I think Blazing Sword, Radiant Dawn and Fates probably have the most unique plots in Fire Emblem.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I just woke up and fam what are you on

Paper Mario
-has partners
-literally CANNOT do some of the moves Mario does, such as Mario's side special and down special
-would be incredibly unique by virtue of being one of the only 2D characters in the game
-could utilize badges alongside items in an entirely different manner from Mario, as he does in his own RPG series
-has numerous techniques involving folding, such as recovery by means of folding into an airplane
-hell, he could even use stickers to produce a huge variety of effects
-his hammer could be used in numerous ways, could even be thrown
-he also has the power of the stars from TTYD, all unique 8 of them
-again. has partners. how can you forget this. his partners could literally work for every one of his specials beautifully.

You're not seriously trying to tell me Paper Mario, who has multiple games worth of partners, techniques, special items and badges, hammers and gimmicks such as summoning the stars in TTYD, is less unique than Elma?

Hate to sound rude or disrespectful, but this is the most common complete misconception spread about Paper Mario and I don't see why it keeps getting spread. Do Samus and Zero Suit Samus fight nearly the same at ALL? No? So then why would Mario and Paper Mario?

Also, you yourself implied Elma would still be a sword user, nonetheless. Paper Mario isn't like any other character in Smash to date and I could debate for hours about this. Also, you're leaving out how not only does Paper Mario have an entirely unique moveset on his side, he has multiple beloved games and a frequent attendance on Nintendo consoles, having appeared on every generation since the Nintendo 64 with one major game per cycle. He also is one of the few Nintendo IP's of his scale to not have a character in Smash yet-I'd be willing to argue the IP on his scale. Alongside this, he's had over a decade to establish himself as a classic Nintendo character with immeasurable differences from Mario, both the character and the series.

But again, sorry if this is rude! Have a good day. Just please consider this before you jump to assumptions about Paper Mario, because I am willing to explain more in depth why these assumptions simply aren't true.
It seems like people are too weary on Paper Mario after Sticker Star and Color Splash due to the amount of backlash they've received; heck he could've gotten his moves from those games, which is gonna piss off a lot of Paper Mario fans out there, and I mean A LOT!

Trust me, I'm endearing to see Paper Mario in his glory form.

Oh yeah, I've realized right now, I zoomed out the desktop a bit and well, its changed for sure.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, I'm sure the joke's been said already, but

103 days until Smash.... So if you take away Battlefield, Big Battlefield and Final Destination, there's 100 days.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB Titania and Fortuna probably have my favourite themes from Star Fox Zero, but I do love most of the soundtrack so any inclusion I am happy with.

I would honestly expect Return to Corneria or Corneria 1 from Zero, as you said.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I dunno if Verge may be hiding some characters... it seems like he is. He didn't say anything about a certain crocodile...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I dunno if Verge may be hiding some characters... it seems like he is. He didn't say anything about a certain crocodile...
I don't think Verg knew about K.Rool at all, his PM to Loz18 kinda cements that as fact where he had to doublecheck if "DK no new rep" was legit or not.

However, his SE claim IS shocking.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Also, I'm sure the joke's been said already, but

103 days until Smash.... So if you take away Battlefield, Big Battlefield and Final Destination, there's 100 days.
lol. A little under 14 weeks. Seriously, it should go by pretty quickly too.

Not only that, but we'll know more fighters in the next few weeks, the rest of them probably within 2 months, and the game will most likely leak a week or two early.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I just want the next newcomer to be an unsafe surprising character just to get over the "predictions with the same characters that Smash fans make get thrown off" cycle over with for this installment.
Same. Every roster I see has the same 3 or 4 characters, I'm ready for something to change that up. Rayman would do it.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I don't think Verg knew about K.Rool at all, his PM to Loz18 kinda cements that as fact where he had to doublecheck if "DK no new rep" was legit or not.

However, his SE claim IS shocking.

I agree. He randomly dropped hints to Ken and the Square rep in other threads, meaning he knew about them for a time beforehand. Hoping he makes another major thread at some point with the characters he does know about.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
He seems to have no idea of a good chunk of the cast, including Echoes.
Makes me wonder if we're gonna get more then we expect.
Well we've been tempering our expectations for a while now.

Heck, remember when we thought there'd be only 10 characters max in Smash 4?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Well we've been tempering our expectations for a while now.

Heck, remember when we thought there'd be only 10 characters max in Smash 4?
Well in all fairness, some of us are not counting echo fighters towards the final roster count.

But even then, a lot of us (including myself) still didn't expect there to be more then a couple echo fighters left either. Just one or two more. How wrong we (probably) were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom