• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Pretty sure it was deleted. I haven't been able to find it or any of my posts on it.
Seriously? I thought they were supposed to have been archived, at least BluePikmin requested it when one of the mods asked about it.
It's a shame so many leaks and arguments are now missing forever

kylexv

Smash Master
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmiiboCana...ning_an_amiibo_unlocks_the_character_in_ssbu/

Interesting, so it seems scanning an amiibo of an unlockable character will automatically unlock them.

Is there any text leaks that mention this?
Hm. Interesting method to unlock characters, but there's no way this is the "streamlined process" Sakurai talked about.

But now I know that if I really wanted to, I could unlock all characters that were in Smash 4 right away except :ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultkingdedede::ultlucina::ultpit::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer:.

...yeah, I have too many amiibo that I don't know what to do with.

D

Deleted member

Wow, that amiibo thing is great news! I kinda like the whole 'Challenger Approaching!" thing from the past and unlocking them that way...but at the same time...there's a lot of characters to unlock. Let's see...not accounting for newcomers, I can unlock everyone but:
Peach
Mario
Kirby
Lucina
Yoshi

EDIT: Ah, right...I never got Bayonetta's Amiibo. Her Skill level is well beyond what i can do, so I never bothered lol. Think I may be missing Pitt too; I have Dark Pit, but not regular.

EDIT 2: Another thought....I wonder if the Charizard amiibo will unlock the Pokemon Trainer character.
And I believe at least 3 of those are part of the starting roster. I wonder if the early Inkling amiibo I got will work or if I need the actual Smash Inkling amiibo they'll be releasing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
All the characters I could unlock right now if this leak is true are: :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ultike::ultkingdedede::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultwario:

Original 12 I have : :ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultlink::ultness:

D

Deleted member

I managed to get Cloud and had the chance at a Bayonetta Amiibo about a year ago at a convention I went to. My friend had payed the extra to get both Corrin & Cloud's alternate amiibos, so I think he can actually start the game fully unlocked with all that he has lol.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Not an Amiibo collector but it’s good to hear there’s an easier way to unlock everyone.

By spending more money AKA pay to unlock.:troll:

Chrono.

Do wish that something like the ESRB Smash 4 leak would come along to kill all these dog feces Gamefaqs/Reddit/4chans leaks once and for all!
I'd rather not this time.

It'll be more fun when the game comes out and we figure out on our which text leaks were the legit ones all along.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Alright, I did the math. This is EXCLUDING all variations of amiibo (Inkling Boy, Alph, etc.).

57 amiibos at $12.99
14 amiibos at $21.99

That is just under $1,050.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I have a plethora of amiibo but I'll probably only unlock Pokemon Trainer using them (assuming :4charizard:works for that). I'd rather do things the good ol' fashion way so that I can get as much out of the game as I can. I love Smash Bros enough that I really doubt it'll feel at all tedius to me. Especially since I was such a dumb kid back on the days of Brawl that I may as well be learning Squirtle and Ivysaur from scratch (seriously, all I did back then was press B. I didn't even use Smash Attacks...)

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Do wish that something like the ESRB Smash 4 leak would come along to kill all these dog feces Gamefaqs/Reddit/4chans leaks once and for all!
Same, but we have to remember the ESRB leak happened only like 3 weeks before Smash 3ds was released. It's also very, very, VERY unlikely we'll ever get something like that again too, since Nintendo actually had the person who did it arrested and filed charges against them. Because of that, I can't see them slipping up in that way ever again.

On the plus side, if there is 1 last direct early november, then we should know most, if not all of the characters a few weeks before the game releases (unless Sakurai is lying and still keeps a few hidden surprises until they get leaked)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pit and Bowser will be the only characters I can quickly unlock thanks to Amiibo

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If this is true, I feel bad for anyone who wants to buy amiibo. Scalping is gonna go on all over again.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If this is true, I feel bad for anyone who wants to buy amiibo. Scalping is gonna go on all over again.
In a way, we've gone full circle with amiibo now.

Smash 4 started the scalping scene, and just when it (and amiibos in general) die out (I was at Walmart today and their only amiibo was a single Wedding Mario), Smash Ultimate brings it back.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
67 + 6 clones = 73 characters
Now try to add 27 characters to make it 100, extra points if you go for variety of franchises and not just grab 20 pokemons.
1. Geno
2. Sora
3. Kefka
4. Crono
5. Dixie Kong
6. Paper Mario
7. Pig Ganon
8. Skull Kid
9. Impa
10. Banjo-Kazooie
11. Dr. Wily
12. Dr. Eggman
13. Tails
14. Porky
15. Giygas
16. Akuma
17. Kamek
18. Boshi
19. Crash
20. Leon Kennedy
21. Suicune
22. Decidueye
23. Baby Mario + Luigi
24. King Boo
25. Dark Matter
26. King Hippo
27. Alucard

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Smash 4 started the scalping scene, and just when it (and amiibos in general) die out (I was at Walmart today and their only amiibo was a single Wedding Mario), Smash Ultimate brings it back.

It's gonna be even worse for new amiibos since they're already near-double in price.

SonicMario

Smash Master
If you can unlock characters with Amiibos. I'm a little torn. Though the only characters I'd be able to unlock are :ultsonic::ultmegaman: and :ultpacman: anyway. As all the other Amiibo are either Original 12 (Unless it actually begins with Original 8, in that case :ultluigi: would be another) or... Waluigi :V

I may at least want to unlock Sonic from the get go. But that depends on the method of unlocking characters. If there's some fun requirements for each and every character I may decide to earn them all anyway. If it's tedious or at least takes a long time to unlock Sonic then sure, I'll use the Amiibo to get him. All depends on how character unlocking is done and what methods there would be to unlock Sonic.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio

I do have to wonder as to when we will see K. Rool's, Chrom's, Dark Samus's, and Simon's/Ricter's amiibos get revealed/shown off!

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
This is a perfectly acceptable integration of amiibo support, much better than the stunt they pulled with Samus Returns. Glad they found a healthy way to use amiibo without literally locking content or directly enhancing gameplay.

Can't wait for the 'Everyone is REALLY here' turnaround and every single Amiibo is in Smash, can't wait to play as Super Mario Cereal.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Quick Question: Do you think cross series echoes are possible? Stuff like Blaziken for Falcon, Giygas for Mewtwo, etc.
I think they can happen, being cross-series hasn't stopped Sakurai from cloning before (e.g. Jigglypuff off of Kirby in 64 and Ganondorf off of Falcon in Melee). The problem is I don't think there's any cross-series options that are actually feasible and the common suggestions won't work; Blaziken's body build and proportions are quite different from Falcon's, Giygas off of Mewtwo is based on fan stuff rather than anything actually official (as the only official thing we got of Mother 1 Giygas is a vague low quality sprite that only somewhat resembles Mewtwo), and I think they would just do Black Shadow off of Falcon if Black Shadow was to actually happen, when Black Shadow obviously isn't going to pull out a sword and Falcon's unique moves are more fitting for Black Shadow than Ganondorf's are in general.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Something to chew on, but the characters we've gotten haven't necessarily gotten in because they're "important" or "relevant".

Daisy got in as an echo because she could be based on Peach and had a lot of requests. This is where Waluigi could not have happened, because he couldn't be a clone of somebody else.

We got Chrom, who is a clone of Roy. Chrom was added, specifically, because as Sakurai mentioned, he was popular among fans in Japan. We got Dark Samus because of ease of access to assets of Samus, and her popularity in America.

Like, I don't know. This fanbase talks all the time about how "popular" characters like Ashley and Mimikyu were locks for the game, and then complains when characters get in literally because of popularity.

I don't want to be a **** about it, and I love talking about Smash, but it's amazing how the discussions are almost entirely based not on logic or how characters would play, but more of, "This character is likely because I want them to be" or "This character deserves to be in because I want them to be playable". I can't take that seriously.

Deserving a spot is not only an argument that isn't rooted in anything factual (fictional characters aren't deserving of anything, because what they do is all because of somebody else), but it also doesn't substitute good gameplay, or gameplay that Sakurai just deals with because "Oh, well they're deserving. Looks like I have to add them".

Is the character FUN??? That's what should matter at the end of the day. Not how many copies their series has sold, not the color of the hair, and certainly not the weapon they use. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Fire Emblem got more characters because their movesets are just...fun. They're basic. People like basic and fun movesets.

As some have said, despite the amount of sword users in the game, none of them can be played the same way. They're all different, even in small ways. The only reason fans complain about one type of character is, spoiler alert, because their favorite isn't in. If they get their particular choice, they won't give a **** anymore. Example) Me. I got everything I wanted, but still would love to see Geno because he'd be fun as hell.

Also, if the argument is that a series "doesn't deserve" another character, then there's not much I can say. Slots aren't a thing. Sakurai makes this game to satisfy the most people he can, and he felt he could do that by adding Chrom. Adding Chrom over your character of choice didn't actually happen, because he didn't pick between Chrom and your character. He picked Chrom because he took little time, and a lot of people wanted him.
My only regret is that I have only one like to give to you. Saving this as a reminder for the next billion times people whine about their favored character not getting in Smash or ***** about too many FE characters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I actually wonder what would happen if Waluigi got his amiibo tapped. Maybe his Assist trophy would spawn or something, I don't know.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just realized, since :ultdaisy: is now in Smash, I legit wonder what her Star KO, KO, and hurt lines will sound like.

Like, we can actually hit Daisy for the first time, in an actual fight.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'll be able to nab a few fighters right away.
Mr. Game & Watch.
Lucas.
R.O.B..
PAC-MAN.
Bowser Jr..
Duck Hunt.
Inkling.
Hopefully Isabelle too.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm glad Daisy is in because now I can set her to Level 1 and beat the snot out of her for always ruining my perfect All-Cup Tours in MK8D.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Seriously? I thought they were supposed to have been archived, at least BluePikmin requested it when one of the mods asked about it.
It's a shame so many leaks and arguments are now missing forever
Oh, lord, the Smash 4 Leaks & Speculation Discussion Group Slash Thread......the times I had in there!
It was honestly like a shounen anime, with all the character archetypes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just realized, since :ultdaisy: is now in Smash, I legit wonder what her Star KO, KO, and hurt lines will sound like.

Like, we can actually hit Daisy for the first time, in an actual fight.
My favorite thing about Daisy is her voice, she's so loud for no reason.
In Mario Kart 8 for example, when you select Mario he goes "Let's go!", when you select Bowser he makes some growling noise like he always does.
But when you select Daisy she just screams "DAISY!!!" for no reason and it cracks me up every time.
We better get some good Daisy taunts in this game, "HI IM DAISY" has to happen.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think trying to unlock them by exploring game modes is better than

*click*
Pit Joins The Battle!
Alright, next one
*click*
Falco Joins The Battle!
Alright, nex- **** where'd my Dedede go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom