• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I made a prediction roster based on what I think is the most generous scenario, what do you think?

Unique Fighters (11):
Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool:
Confirmed
Skull Kid: Looks really likely due to assist trophy replacement.
Dillon: Among the other assist trophy absence he seems to be the most likely.
Isaac: Smash Ballot.
Incineroar: Seems like he is the one who gonna be heavily featured in the anime, just like Greninja, Lucario and Mewtwo were last time.
Monster Hunter: Rathalos.
Lloyd: DLC pack 3 mii costume along with Chrom and K. Rool (and flying man but they had an unused 3d model of him so nevermind).
Geno: Smash Ballot.

Echo Fighters (11):
Dark Samus, Daisy, Chrom, Richter:
Confirmed
Ninten: Seems really easy to implement and makes a lot of sense.
Isabelle: New face of animal crossing.
Black Knight and Shadow: Castle seige absence and assist trophy likely gone. Black Knight was a DLC pack 3 mii costume along with Chrom and K. Rool. And with Dark Samus and Dark Pit it seems we are getting some dark themed echo fighters.
Ken: Original Echo Fighter.
Felix: A placeholder. But would be a neat bonus.
Could definitely get behind this roster with maybe the exception of Dillon, Ninten, and Felix. If we get Isaac and an Echo of him, I would place my money on his son, Matthew. Both Ninten and Dillon seem particularly Smash material. I’m not sold that another deserves a third rep considering at hasn’t been touched for a long time. Dillon doesn’t exactly have the icon status as other fighters but also lacks the WTF factor like others. I am more of a Decidueye fan myself but Incernor as Smash’s Zangief greatly intrigues me leading to being torn between the two.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Honestly I don't think Marth's line was supposed to be self-centered.

To me, "Everyone, look at me" seemed like it was meant like "Everyone, eyes on me," as if he's commanding his own army to follow his lead, which is totally in-character for him. The fact that the localized version is "Keep your eyes open" supports this as well.

But yeah Roy's Smash persona was totally made up lol.
Sakurai is that awkward zombie comic where she actually plays a fire emblem game with Marth in it and realizes she got his character entirely wrong.

"Sometimes I forget that I kinda sorta totally made up his characterization for the purposes of this comic."

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Roy in Smash:
HOT BLOODED ANIME FIRE BOI, HEEEEEE-YUT, TORRRRRYAAAAAA

Roy in FE:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can I ask you guys a question? Just never seen it discussed.

We seem very sure that Smash Ultimate will get loads of DLC.
Yet, Smash 4 got...a few veterans, Ryu, Bayo, Cloud, and Corrin as DLC.
4 newcomers. Yes, third-parties but 4 nonetheless.

Do we feel Ultimate will be different? And why?
woah now i never said "loads of DLC" like we're getting 15 characters out of it, but yeah i'd assume it'd be the same space as Smash 4's at least.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Star Allies is new enough that major representation is unlikely, but what would you say the odds are of it getting music at launch?
It's very likely. There was MK8 music in Smash Wii U and that was a shorter gap.

The Switch didn't sell horribly, so I think we'll get a decent bit of DLC. I don't want to put a number down, but I think the DLC newcomers being in the double digits is possible.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is very interesting, it came from a tweet that was sent to RelaxAlax, more specifically, Persona 5.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It seems that Sakurai’s comment about Persona 5’s UI seemed to seemed to have foreshadowed Smash Ultimate’s Persona 5 inspired UI.

I’m kinda of hoping this can lead to Joker being playable in Smash Ultimate, he looks so awesome.
>UI in Smash inspired by Persona 5
>Sakurai likes Persona 5 so much he negotiates for Joker
>Wants to put him on the base roster but can't
>Joker is one of the first DLC characters for Smash Ultimate
Untitled drawing.png

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

I think it’s possible to get a few more third parties for DLC, it would be a lot easier to manage and deal with.

Newcomers I also think can come from recent games like Rex and Pyra and Spring Man, but I also think it’s possible we can get someone like an oddball, like a retro or even someone like Saki/Isa since it is Ultimate after all, and Sakurai might just want to add unique additions of Nintendo’s history.

Also, I expect a lot more characters for DLC than Smash 4. Simply put, Smash Switch will have a longer life time, and thus more time to work on DLC for this game.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think Smash Ultimate will get longer support with DLC than Smash Bros. 4 did simply because it's more or less destined to sell much better with not only the larger installment, but with the unfathomable hype and promise this game is offering.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The current “rule” right now is that a chracater has to be popular to get in. I think we’d get a slight mix of both, I still see characters like Isaac and Geno get in because they were very popular because of the ballot, but I also see characters like Elma and a Gen 7 Pokémon getting in because they can add something unique to the roster that Sakurai might find it worth spending on.

I mean, if Elma gets revealed next, this thread is going to blow up on how a character that was unpopular that isn’t Pokémon got in, despite there being a lot going for her that people voided because of one thing.

We can’t just look at the newcomers through one lens, we need to look from different angles and see what is going on and what every character has going for them to determine. You need to ask yourself, what makes X character likely in the first place, and if it follows what we’ve seen Sakurai do so far when it comes to this game, and how the characters’ pros goes against their cons.

Elma is an example of this. She wasn’t popular due to her timing and her games’ potential small playerbase. However, she was relevant for Sakurai to notice and consider, she has the potential to be one of the most unique chracaters with access to dual blades, dual guns, and unique abilities and moves, which is definitely something Sakurai looks forward to. She also has the bonus of being aesthetically unique as well, being female and of color, with a unique design. She has a lot of very strong pros going for her, and it may be enough for her to actually get in despite not being popular.
Amen to this post.

Though we should look into more than just newcomers like Elma and a Generation 7 newcomer.

Namely, the retro newcomer and the "surprise" character for Ultimate, but people would rather dismiss at people's viewpoints of those that will think it will happen and assume with one lens that people add them in predictions "for the sake of it", rather than looking at other reasons like how retro and surprise fighters like Lip, Excitebiker, and Balloon Fighter all provide a unique set of abilities/characteristics that helps diversify Ultimate's newcomer selection. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

I think people's train of thought is that DLC for Smash 4 was akin to testing the waters. They hadn't done DLC prior and wasn't sure how it would turn out, so they had a predetermined amount of DLC ready to program that they'd shut down if it failed miserably. The response, obviously, was pretty positive, so they probably won't hesitate this time and have a nice amount ready for this game.

On the flip side of this thought process is, this game is the 'Ultimate' Smash Bros.; they catered entirely to fans by choosing many of the Ballot requests as new entries. Anybody who didnt make it in was made into an Assist Trophy. There's nobody left to add, save for a few minor characters that only a small portion were even requesting, so they won't be doing DLC this time despite how well it did prior.

I don't think the latter is really going to happen; neither do many others; so that leaves most of us with the thought" Thanks to how well it did before, Sakurai is DEFINITELY adding more DLC characters this time around.

EDIT: For that blurry pic 'leak', who's that supposed to be between Corrin and Inkling? I might just be tired, but it looks like a girl wearing some kind of black cowboy hat lol.

EDIT 2: Also...its 20-freakin'-18. Blurry pics should not even be possible anymore unless the leaker was literally driving by the roster screen at thirty miles an hour while trying to sneak a peak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Untouch

Smash Master
I'd rather have costume and stage DLC than character DLC, I don't want another repeat of bayonetta and cloud tbh.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Who would you say is the most villainous character in the Smash Ultimate roster? Out of the bunch, I'd say it's a toss-up between Ridley and Ganondorf as to who is the most heinous.
They're all in cahoots.

Ganondorf is the one in charge. His villainy is of a more man-behind-the-man type, particularly in TP. He wants to be King because he wants to rule over the world. Yes, he has the power to do it himself, but he'd much rather sit slouch on his throne of villainy and let his minions take care of things. He is probably the best parallel to Thanos, in that he's content to let his minions screw up for 18 movies before he gets involved - and then absolutely wrecks everything.

Ridley is the Dorf's top enforcer. He's smart enough to know that he could try to battle for the top spot, which would be a tough battle with no guaranteed outcome, and if he won, he wouldn't have the interest to run things so it'd start to crumble. He's best at being a vicious attack dog, and he likes it. Of course, both he and Ganondorf know they don't necessarily need one another and don't therefore trust each other fully, but their strengths are perfectly complimentary. As long as Ganondorf lets Ridley maim and torture with free rein, they both benefit.

Bowser thinks he's in charge, and everyone really just lets him think that. He's more the Jessie and James of the bunch in that his brand of villainy is very focused on small things (capturing princesses and making lava bases) and easy to overcome. He doesn't realize that everything he does is basically being manipulated by Ganondorf behind the scenes, and it's naturally all to Ganondorf's benefit. For what it's worth, Bowser just thinks of Ganondorf as a fellow villain and thinks that he's no more effective than Bowser himself is.

King K. Rool is the resident gadgeteer. While he's easily distracted by building zany contraptions which may or may not work, he does have some uses to the organization. He's pretty much on Bowser's level - Bowser thinks he's higher ranked, but K. Rool recognizes they're about the same. He suspects that there's more to Ganondorf, but part of him really doesn't want to open that bag of cats.

Dark Samus pretty well exists to do Ridley's bidding. She is calculating and ruthless like he is, but he keeps her in check. Still, she knows what will happen to her if she turns agains him.

Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings are the underlings of Bowser himself, and it gives him great pleasure to boss them around. Most of the tasks they hit are small-time, but they are loyal to Bowser. Pity none of them know that everything Bowser tells them to do either is ineffective or else comes from Ganondorf's machinations.

Wolf and Meta Knight are more of the mercenary types that do what they're paid to do. Bowser is usually the one dealing with them, again being controlled by Ganondorf behind the scenes. Wolf has his suspicions about Ganondorf's hand in things, but he doesn't care as long as he gets paid.

King Dedede is untrusted by everyone and doesn't show up unless there's free food offered. Most times they all just tell him to go off and try to rule Dreamland, and they all laugh at his pathetic excuse for villainy.

Finally, Mewtwo is apart from all of these proceedings. Ganondorf wants to control him have him on the team, but realizes that one wrong move would be catastrophic. As now, he's biding his time and plotting while Mewtwo stays in a self-imposed exile.

Shroob

Sup?
I just got done moving ****, I'm gonna go ahead and assume people already talked about the 'image leak' with Bandanna Dee, Skull Kid, Banjo and Incineroar?

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
This video is obscene, but gets my point across. Be warned.
Ahem.

THERE IS NO NEED FOR DEVIL'S ADVOCATE BECAUSE THE DATAMINE LEAK IS F A K E

IT IS NOT REAL. IT IS THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER BAD FANFICTION WRITTEN ON 4CHAN AND DOESN'T DESERVE A MONTH'S WORTH OF DISCUSSION.

S T O P
Chill.

I'll do what I want, regardless of what you believe or want.
Fact is that it isn't definitively proven to be fake yet, people just believe it is because of how incredibly unlikely it is.

Sometimes the stupidest, fakest sounding stuff ends up being real.

As I can not definitively prove its falsehood, I can not claim it is fake and will instead see ways, regardless of likelihood, that it could be explained.

If you do not like this, be an adult and ignore it.
I'd say Ridley. Ganondorf has done some truly evil things, but every once in a while you see hints at an inner turmoil inside him. At least in some timelines. That doesn't excuse what he's done of course, but he's not evil just to be evil. Sometimes he's got a goal to accomplish.
Ridley on the other hand just loves to murder. Sure he's got plans and whatever but he really loves to murder.
Ridley also canonically ate Samus' parents..

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
A year ago when talking about clones at tournaments : Pffffft Shadow, Medusa, and Ken would never ever happen LOL

Today at a tournament : Wow I really hope we see Shadow, Medusa, Ken and other echoes!

Amazing how a characters chances can change over night. (also yeah I have been talking to ppl irl who dont use the boards, kinda weird how most of the smash community sees newcomers vs most of the online community on the boards)

Roberk

Smash Champion

I'd say that Smash 4 DLC was a "test run". After seeing its success even on a console like the Wii U and the innate popularity/success of the Switch and Ultimate, I imagine they'll have bigger plans for DLC. Also, if Nintendo is to stay true to their 10-year plan for the Switch in combination with another Smash game not coming out for a long time after Ultimate, I think DLC is a great way to extend Ultimate's lifetime.

Untouch

Smash Master
****ty blurry picture leaks are always fake.
In 2018 it is just as easy to take a video, and it just as easy to take an autofocused picture.
Blurry pictures are taken on purpose, to try and hide inconsistencies.

And before anyone brings up the ESRB leak, that had a video.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
@FantasticMr.StarPit

This looks very lovely and fitting to bring more KI love in a way. I'm honestly interested if you're up for a Phosphora one, if you're doing a request, as she's one of my two major wants? o:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'd rather have costume and stage DLC than character DLC, I don't want another repeat of bayonetta and cloud tbh.
I want all three of those..hell, I'd love if Smash got multiple DLC seasons akin to Street Fighter V.
I'm not afraid of another Cloud or Bayonetta situation..but even if it did happen, I wouldn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom