• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

My favorite Xenoblade moment is when Shulk says, and I quote, "the Monado cannot hurt beings from the Bionis" and then proceeds to kill all the monsters outside of his Colony with it.
I don't know if I could stomach Metal Face in XC2 design.
Let alone Fiora's death. I feel like the new artstyle would take away from that.

Why does Smash terms have to take priority than your own series that you're supposed to represent in your own moveset?
Monado Enchant is a literal buff to your strength in XC1. It would be what Buster does. And Buster acts more like Smash in XC1, so I feel like it's just wrapping around the head of it all.
Because not everyone played Xenoblade, you need to convey the proper information. "Enchant" only tells you something is being buffed but not WHAT. Buster and Smash are much more direct because the first means something that destroys/overpower and the other is related to the game's mechanics of KO. It would be bad game design from Sakurai's part because there isn't an ingame description telling you what it does.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
And yeah, I don't know why literally only Shulk out of all the JRPG protagonists puts his weapon away after every strike and doesn't just hold it out like in the game. Especially because he has the coolest weapon of all time, and in fact probably my favorite version of the "macguffin sword."
I think it's to help differentiate him from other swordwielders, as weird as that sounds. Shulk's idle and movement animations are similar to XB1 right down to his jumps, which gives him a very different silhouette from Link/Marth/Cloud/Ike when they're all moving. I expect Elma will follow suit and have her weapons sheathered until she attacks to match Shulk.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Nah he plain out said Simon isn't in. He may have reclarified in a later post, though. But also...didn't he literally steal the Switch from CEO? Or how did he get the "data"?
He did, but he also only saw Richter's name in the code, he may have assumed, like many, that newcomers wouldn't have Echoes or just that Castlevania would only have one character, who knows. As for stealing the Switch, there are many scenarios there, like secreting away and returning it later without anyone noticing somehow, using some sort of connection to it to dump the data without taking it, or just straight stealing it and Nintendo keeping quiet to not alert people to the fact that one is out in the wild or because some police procedures dictate not sharing such information.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. Those are unlikely scenarios, but not impossible ones.

D

Deleted member

Shulk should've just used the Junk Sword with his neutral special being Turn Strike.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Apparently the Xenoblade 1 characters who showed up in Xenoblade 2 have models that are closer to their intended design so I think a remake would totally be in that style.
Nah.
The entirety of Xenoblade Chronicles art was designed by one team and that team wanted Shulk to look like how he does in Xenoblade Chronicles, muted beige tones and rounded clothing all.

Shulk in XC2 is designed by the artist of Xenogears and as you can tell...

They have very different design sensibilities.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to laugh if they add Reyn first (who tbh I'd much rather have but I feel for Elma fans). For the second game in a row he's missing from Shulks FS and they even added Fiora into this one.
Or how about this.

Just cut Shulk, scrap Elma and don't add Rex & Pyra and just let it only be Reyn.
This is the only timeline.

The REYN TIME-line.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yeah, but like... give me the underdogs though...

Like Pico echo for Wolf or Magnus over Ike
Yeah, I'm hoping for a really off the wall echo to throw everyone for a loop. It doesn't even have to be cross-series, it could be somthing like Midbus over Bowser, or Ravio over Young Link.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, consider that Sakurai is a Fire Emblem fan, yet gives it dull stages and doesn't get some of the character personalities right. He's pretty much like people that, while they're experts on some topics (e.g. Game & Watch in Sakurai's case), on others they only know about it on a surface level, but try to be in depth about it anyway.
If you're referring to Lucina, I think that was entirely on the localization team.

Still doesn't stop "This is the Hero-King?" from being one of the worst, out-of-character bits of dialogue ever.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Or how about this.

Just cut Shulk, scrap Elma and don't add Rex & Pyra and just let it only be Reyn.
This is the only timeline.

The REYN TIME-line.
I had a basic idea of how Reyn would work as a character.

Kinda like how Shulk has Monado Arts, Reyn has auras for a Neutral Special. Rage gives him more defense and super armor but less power. Berserk is the vice versa. Magnum Charge is the Monado Smash version of the Auras. His down special would be Aura Burst if he had an Aura, or Guard Shift as a deflector/reflector if there is no aura. No idea for the rest, the only idea I have for a recovery is how Air Slash has a two-parter, Reyn gets Bone Upper and Dive Sobat. Side special could be anything, really.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
He did, but he also only saw Richter's name in the code, he may have assumed, like many, that newcomers wouldn't have Echoes or just that Castlevania would only have one character, who knows. As for stealing the Switch, there are many scenarios there, like secreting away and returning it later without anyone noticing somehow, using some sort of connection to it to dump the data without taking it, or just straight stealing it and Nintendo keeping quiet to not alert people to the fact that one is out in the wild or because some police procedures dictate not sharing such information.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. Those are unlikely scenarios, but not impossible ones.
This video is obscene, but gets my point across. Be warned.
Ahem.

THERE IS NO NEED FOR DEVIL'S ADVOCATE BECAUSE THE DATAMINE LEAK IS F A K E

IT IS NOT REAL. IT IS THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER BAD FANFICTION WRITTEN ON 4CHAN AND DOESN'T DESERVE A MONTH'S WORTH OF DISCUSSION.

S T O P

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Who would you say is the most villainous character in the Smash Ultimate roster? Out of the bunch, I'd say it's a toss-up between Ridley and Ganondorf as to who is the most heinous.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nah.
The entirety of Xenoblade Chronicles art was designed by one man and that man wanted Shulk to look like how he does in Xenoblade Chronicles, muted beige tones and rounded clothing all.

Shulk in XC2 is designed by the artist of Xenogears and as you can tell...

They have very different design sensibilities.
When Tetsuya Takahashi is directly involved in directing, you definitely see this kind of signature style. Not sure how much say he had on X, but it seems like XC2 doesn't seem to have had him around.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This video is obscene, but gets my point across. Be warned.
Ahem.

THERE IS NO NEED FOR DEVIL'S ADVOCATE BECAUSE THE DATAMINE LEAK IS F A K E

IT IS NOT REAL. IT IS THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER BAD FANFICTION WRITTEN ON 4CHAN AND DOESN'T DESERVE A MONTH'S WORTH OF DISCUSSION.

S T O P
listen man i love me some big text but can you chill out a little bit with that, the mods might snipe your ass a new one

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm hoping for a really off the wall echo to throw everyone for a loop. It doesn't even have to be cross-series, it could be somthing like Midbus over Bowser, or Ravio over Young Link.
Oh man how can you do this to me. Midbus was all the rage back in the Brawl fan-roster days from what I saw, but I always dismissed him...but he could work frighteningly well as a Bowser Echo!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it's to help differentiate him from other swordwielders, as weird as that sounds. Shulk's idle and movement animations are similar to XB1 right down to his jumps, which gives him a very different silhouette from Link/Marth/Cloud/Ike when they're all moving. I expect Elma will follow suit and have her weapons sheathered until she attacks to match Shulk.
Yeah, I can follow that logic, but I just feel like altering things because another character already did them is really lame.

Especially when Cloud exists as he does, lol. That man's fans must be living the dream.

Untouch

Smash Master
This "leak" isn't going away.
Gothielle won't be in the game in any regard, and if Gardevoir is a pokeball pokemon it won't be featured as only new pokemon are featured.
This ride will never end.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Who would you say is the most villainous character in the Smash Ultimate roster? Out of the bunch, I'd say it's a toss-up between Ridley and Ganondorf as to who is the most heinous.
Wii Fit Trainer. She doesn't respect everyone else's lazy lifestyle so she forces fitness on the world

By force...

D

Deleted member

I had a basic idea of how Reyn would work as a character.

Kinda like how Shulk has Monado Arts, Reyn has auras for a Neutral Special. Rage gives him more defense and super armor but less power. Berserk is the vice versa. Magnum Charge is the Monado Smash version of the Auras. His down special would be Aura Burst if he had an Aura, or Guard Shift as a deflector/reflector if there is no aura. No idea for the rest, the only idea I have for a recovery is how Air Slash has a two-parter, Reyn gets Bone Upper and Dive Sobat. Side special could be anything, really.
His taunt can work in the vein of Luigi's down taunt and actually do something, given the Mad Taunt talent art of his. Honestly given how much arts every Xenoblade 1 character has, I wouldn't mind in the slightest if it was a Palutena Ultimate-esque moveset.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
listen man i love me some big text but can you chill out a little bit with that, the mods might snipe your *** a new one
It's warranted for discussion of an obviously fake leak.

Like, I get we're starved for content, but I'd take anything over discussion of that.

Like, I'm sorry I brought it up in the first place because I shouldn't have.

Untouch

Smash Master
Probably Ridley, Ganondorf is just evil and destructive, he's just obeying his nature while Ridley is more cold and calculated.
DKC1 K Rool is pretty evil too, his whole plan was to starve the Kongs to death.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wanna say Ganondorf is slightly better since in WW, his goals seemed almost half-admirable and in OoT and TP he at least seems logical in his evil.

Ridley is kinda just a **** because he can.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
This is very interesting, it came from a tweet that was sent to RelaxAlax, more specifically, Persona 5.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It seems that Sakurai’s comment about Persona 5’s UI seemed to seemed to have foreshadowed how Smash Ultimate’s UI is actually inspired by Persona 5.

I’m kinda of hoping this can lead to Joker being playable in Smash Ultimate, he looks so awesome, and since Sakurai actually played Persona 5, I’m hoping he might want to add him later as DLC since he might be too late for the base roster, but an excellent hype DLC addition being a third party and Persona being popular in general.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
My vote goes to :ultridley: as he has eaten people.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually referring to Marth being more self-centered and Roy being hot-blooded, when it's not the case in their home games.
Honestly I don't think Marth's line was supposed to be self-centered.

To me, "Everyone, look at me" seemed like it was meant like "Everyone, eyes on me," as if he's commanding his own army to follow his lead, which is totally in-character for him. The fact that the localized version is "Keep your eyes open" supports this as well.

But yeah Roy's Smash persona was totally made up lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
DKC1 K Rool is pretty evil too, his whole plan was to starve the Kongs to death.
Eh, that pales in comparison to everything after that.

DKC2: kidnap leader and demand his hoard for ransom, and beat him up for good measure.
DKC3: get revenge on Kongs by kidnapping both the leader and his nephew, to use them as batteries for his robot.
DK64: blow up the Kongs' island to kingdom come, and tries to have as many of them kidnapped as possible to make sure he isn't stopped.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'd say Ridley. Ganondorf has done some truly evil things, but every once in a while you see hints at an inner turmoil inside him. At least in some timelines. That doesn't excuse what he's done of course, but he's not evil just to be evil. Sometimes he's got a goal to accomplish.
Ridley on the other hand just loves to murder. Sure he's got plans and whatever but he really loves to murder.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This is very interesting, it came from a tweet that was sent to RelaxAlax, more specifically, Persona 5.

It seems that Sakurai’s comment about Persona 5’s UI seemed to seemed to have foreshadowed how Smash Ultimate’s UI is actually inspired by Persona 5.

I’m kinda of hoping this can lead to Joker being playable in Smash Ultimate, he looks so awesome, and since Sakurai actually played Persona 5, I’m hoping he might want to add him later as DLC since he might be too late for the base roster, but an excellent hype DLC addition being a third party and Persona being popular in general.
Please let this be real

...except I'm going to work myself into a hopeless amount of wanting something that's not gonna happen

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

That's been a thing in several games.

I mean, Tales of games used it since the mid 2000s.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Star Allies is new enough that major representation is unlikely, but what would you say the odds are of it getting music at launch?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
That's been a thing in several games.

I mean, Tales of games used it since the mid 2000s.
Well seeing how he made a column about UI and how Persona 5’s UI was a good example of how UI can be used during Smash Ultimate’s development, AND how he dedicated a part of the direct to show the menu, I think it’s safe to say that he might’ve been inspired by Persona 5 after playing the game and decided to use what it had for his own game.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Can I ask you guys a question? Just never seen it discussed.

We seem very sure that Smash Ultimate will get loads of DLC.
Yet, Smash 4 got...a few veterans, Ryu, Bayo, Cloud, and Corrin as DLC.
4 newcomers. Yes, third-parties but 4 nonetheless.

Do we feel Ultimate will be different? And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom