• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
You get to add two characters to each game. Who are they?

64: Diddy and Dixie
Melee: Banjo and Rool
Brawl: Tiny and Lanky
4: Chunky and Gruntilda
Ultimate: Cranky and Elma

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That's fair enough, I just didn't like how dismissive you were to people who like to speculate this way.
Yeah, I'm going to be dismissive of claims that the evidence is not convincing to me. I'm a skeptical person.

D

Deleted member

Nope. None in the slightest. Most "leaks" are the same old same old really. The Dante leak caught my eye, but it's similar to most others so it's nothing big.
I kinda wanna touch base on this with all these "leaks" because something has been bothering me a little bit lately.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this sort of feeling, but we're really far in to Smash at this point. We have every character back from Ice Climbers to Wolf, even Snake is back. This is poised to pretty much be the "end all Smash Bros. game," so with who and which franchises are in the current roster now, I don't think it's out of the question to expect the most common characters that get mentioned or anyone calling a good amount of characters and getting them right. Because who really is left other than the most wanted characters that the fans want and/or a few most recent additions from the Switch era?

Like for example, Ridley and King K. Rool - would it really be that crazy of a shock for some guy to get them right? I think the shock for Ultimate comes from how the team developed each design for the newcomers, like King K. Rool looks AMAZING after nearly 20 years of mainline absence. The scales, attitude of his, expressiveness; how they make the character I feel is what makes the excitement this time. This can also be said for Simon Belmont.

I think this iteration we're now just going down the list of who the fans want the most and we're just waiting for which characters we expect, like Skull Kid. Guys like Geno and Banjo-Kazooie I feel are gonna be a lock, even if things like Square Enix's stinginess with property or other stuff seem like they might hold the character back. I'm curious to see if anyone feels this way.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
OK So I tried doing the ranking thing and including a Hype meter to illustrate my level of excitement, it turns out just posting an image is easier and won't make it look broken when the screen size is different.

^If Paper Mario is based on his original games

^If Paper Mario is based on his recent games
Here's Smash 4 for comparison

Last edited:

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Seems each Smash has a different identity

64: The charmng janky original
Melee: The refinement
Brawl: The one that tried for wider appeal
4: The one that had to compromise/The one where nearly every character had a gimmick
Ultimate: The Best of Album
Oh I'll play that.

64: The Original™
Melee: Accidental Beauty. Also Hairy Foxer and the Hexagon of Doom.
Brawl: Subspace include-it-in-all-others-sary. Also METAknight
4: Down-B is a universal input for counter. Also fun gimmicks and a crazy OP witch
Ultimate: "For the player that wants it all" - Dude talking in 8/8 direct during "My Music" segment.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You made me think of this:

What if we do actually get an indie rep, but it's Reimu. How do you all think the community react? How would you all react?

I for one think it'd be cool. I'm already happy with this roster, so anything else is the cherry on top of the icing on the cake. I would love to see Reimu, if only for all the salt she would cause.
Literally the only things I know about Touhou are that it's a bullethell game, and the song U.N. Owen Was Her.

I'd hope that if a Touhou character got into Ultimate, I'd finally find out why Owen is at the United Nations and why she has a guy's name.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Literally the only things I know about Touhou are that it's a bullethell game, and the song U.N. Owen Was Her.

I'd hope that if a Touhou character got into Ultimate, I'd finally find out why Owen is at the United Nations and why she has a guy's name.
If you wanna know the lore,

Basically, there's a pocket dimension on earth where all the demons and gods are cute anime girls with dumb hats and and it's a shrine maiden's job to keep them all in check despite her lack of money and her raging alcoholism.

Last edited:

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
If you wanna know the lore,

Basically, there's a pocket dimension on earth where all the demons and gods are cute anime girls with dumb hats and and it's a shrine maiden's job to keep them all in check despite her lack of donations to the shrine and her raging alcoholism.
The whole series is mostly made by just 1 person, too. Crazy if you consider how many enjoy the different games and how many genres the franchise covers these days!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Oh man, I barely know Touhou but the parts I do know is making me laugh hysterically at this.

kylexv

Smash Master

Mine are very generic and straightforward:

64: Bowser and Marth
Melee: King Dedede and Wario
Brawl: Ridley and Mewtwo
Smash 4: Ridley and K. Rool
Ultimate: Isaac and Geno

Last edited:

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
My ranking so far:
:ultrichter::ultsimon::ultridley::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultinkling::ultdarksamus::ultchrom:

If we're still talking about newcomers from 4, I've got a few thoughts. I've expressed my ambivalence towards them in the past, and may have a bit harsh. I don't think the selection was bad per se, but none of the characters really resonated with me aside from Mega Man. It kind of extends to the game as a whole. It was definitely better than Brawl (I still play 4 very often), but it doesn't really have a voice of its own. The title (or rather, lack of subtitle) sums the game up best: Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Brawl. They took a reactionary approach to removing a lot of things that were bad in Brawl, but in comparison to Ultimate, 4 is just kind of there. It might not be a big deal to a lot of people, but it always rubbed me the wrong way how it's just called Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. It didn't do anything wrong, but it didn't do much beyond just being the next Smash Bros game. Ultimate seems really about making something ultimate, whereas 4 had to deal with having to sell a floundering console.

As for the "too much anime" complaint... I think it's just more the abundance of realistically proportioned human characters. I feel a character like Prince Sable would have broken the pattern we see with the Sm4sh newcomers, while still totally being an anime character (even more so).

D

Deleted member

So many people hating on Chrom.

;-;

I like all newcomers too much to rank them to be honest. I like them all!

I admit, King K. Rool and Ridley would be on my top, but I do not have a least favorite.

D

Deleted member

The whole series is mostly made by just 1 person, too. Crazy if you consider how many enjoy the different games and how many genres the franchise covers these days!
This is kinda why I'm shocked Touhou hasn't been in Smash yet. Smash Bros. is all about legacy, and Touhou is literally the definition of "legacy." ZUN been making the music, gameplay and designs all by himself for 22 years now and at this point has garnered a worldwide fanbase I don't think many creators could holster under their belt. Remember that one of the biggest gameplay aspects of Undertale was pretty much inspired by Touhou.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice

64:Ganondorf, Dedede
Melee:Banjo Kazooie, Sonic
Brawl:Ridley, Geno
Smash 4:Karate Joe, King K.Rool
Ultimate:Bandana Dee, Phoenix Wright

The idea is to introduce third parties earlier, have more wanted picks earlier on at their peak, and overall just make the roster more appealing in retrospect, Ridley and Geno were at their peak in Brawl, K.Rool smash 4, third parties just being in melee and Banjo not being as screwed, and really just making more villains earlier so it becomes less a big deal.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Mine are very generic and straightforward:

64: Bowser and Marth
Melee: King Dedede and Wario
Brawl: Ridley and Mewtwo
Smash 4: Ridley and K. Rool
Ultimate: Isaac and Geno
You should replace Ridley in Smash 4 with Isaac.

Ridley was added in Brawl after all :troll:.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

;-;

I admit, King K. Rool and Ridley would be on my top, but I do not have a least favorite.
I don't think it's physically possible to not have a least favorite. Even if you like them all, there's gotta be one that you aren't as excited with as the others.

Since we're on the topic though, based on the responses to my question, Ridley was the most popular newcomer, and Daisy was (by far) the least popular newcomer. Runner-up for most popular was K. Rool, and runner-up for least popular was Chrom.

I still think Daisy is a little overhated just because she isn't Waluigi, but perhaps that will change over time (who am I kidding, that's not happening).

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice

;-;

If it makes you feel any better, he's interchangeable with Dark Samus for me. I don't think either moveset needed to get echoed, but the most they take away is the chance for a more preferable FE character (and I definitely like Chrom leagues more than Corrin). If Inkling turns out to be as good as they seem, I might put them at the bottom of my personal list. The most they get out of me is "meh", but if I have to fight them all the time online I can easily see myself disliking them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

64: Pit and King Dedede
Melee: Diddy Kong and Wario
Brawl: K. Rool and Mona
4: Dixie Kong and Ashley
Ultimate: Syrup and Cranky

This is kinda why I'm shocked Touhou hasn't been in Smash yet. Smash Bros. is all about legacy, and Touhou is literally the definition of "legacy." ZUN been making the music, gameplay and designs all by himself for 22 years now and at this point has garnered a worldwide fanbase I don't think many creators could holster under their belt. Remember that one of the biggest gameplay aspects of Undertale was pretty much inspired by Touhou.
Yeah, but when it comes to indie games related to Nintendo "Touhou" isn't the first thing that comes to mind. You'd sooner see people bring up Cave Story (also done by one person), Shantae, Shovel Knight or even Noitu Love (done by yet another single person).

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't think it's physically possible to not have a least favorite. Even if you like them all, there's gotta be one that you aren't as excited with as the others.

Since we're on the topic though, based on the responses to my question, Ridley was the most popular newcomer, and Daisy was (by far) the least popular newcomer. Runner-up for most popular was K. Rool, and runner-up for least popular was Chrom.

I still think Daisy is a little overhated just because she isn't Waluigi, but perhaps that will change over time (who am I kidding, that's not happening).
Makes sense really. Ridley and K Rool were long time requests that have finally been fulfilled while Daisy and Chrom both come with certain baggage in this community on top of being echoes.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

64: Marth and Dedede
Melee: Banjo and Heracross
Brawl: Mega Man, Kamek
4: Dixie, Bandana Dee
Ultimate: Marx, Maxwell (Scribblenauts)

One logical pick and one bias pick (okay two bias picks for Ultimate but if we already had Dee Marx would be the frontrunner)

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
Now please note that this is FAR from confirming anything, but interestingly enough, every nindie presentation is fairly closely preceeded or followed by a general direct. Along with the "powerful fall lineup", and switch online, I think a september direct is likely, and it will probably show one newcomer, if I had to guess, the gen 7 Pokemon. Also, incase anyone compares it to this, the statement from january that mini directs are always close to was FALSE, only SOMETIMES that happened. So far this has been EVERY TIME within a less then 2 month span, though keep in mind we've only had 3 nindie showcases so far, so this could easily be the first exception.

Attachments

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Now please note that this is FAR from confirming anything, but interestingly enough, every nindie presentation is fairly closely preceeded or followed by a general direct. Along with the "powerful fall lineup", and switch online, I think a september direct is likely, and it will probably show one newcomer, if I had to guess, the gen 7 Pokemon. Also, incase anyone compares it to this, the statement from january that mini directs are always close to was FALSE, only SOMETIMES that happened. So far this has been EVERY TIME within a less then 2 month span, though keep in mind we've only had 3 nindie showcases so far, so this could easily be the first exception.
To be fair, don't most expect an October direct anyhow?
I'd be more surprised with a September direct. I personally expect one due to the online showcase though.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

64: Bowser and Mewtwo
Melee: Dedede and a unique Ganondorf
Brawl: Krystal and Ridley
4: Dixie and Impa
Ultimate: Elma and Lara Croft

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I dont hate the characters I put lower in rank. I just don't like them.

I do dislike Waluigi though, so Daisy fans really need to recognize there isn't either Daisy or Waluigi fans. Because I keep hearing them say "Well your just a Waluigi fan"

Edit: I hate this new phone. It deletes words while I'm typing them

Last edited:

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, don't most expect an October direct anyhow?
I'd be more surprised with a September direct. I personally expect one due to the online showcase though.
I'd say that a September Direct (non-Smash dedicated, of course) is likely, what with the online coming out at the end of September. And I'd be surprised if a Direct had no Smash information, so we could probably see a new character revealed at the end of it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking, usually the Pokemon reveals either happen early on in speculation (Pokemon trainer was 2nd newcomer confirmed after those in initial trailer, Greninja was 3rd after E3 showing) or until after release (All but Pikachu in Melee, Lucario in Brawl, Mewtwo as DLC in 4).

I hope it's the former as they are due.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

64: Boshi and Diddy (if any chance to put Boshi in Smash, i'd be this one)
Melee: Ridley and Skull Kid
Brawl: Mike Jones and K. Rool
4: Crash and Dark Samus
Ultimate: Elma and Kamek

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I forgot to take part in that "rank the newcomer hype" thing earlier. Better late than never, right?

:ultinkling::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultrichter::ultsimon::ultdaisy::ultchrom:

...Yeah, I was more excited for Dark Samus than Ridley. I know, I know, she's an Echo while Ridley's a unique newcomer, but...c'mon, it's Dark Samus! Metroid Prime 2 is my jam! And speaking of jams, have you heard her theme song? The idea that that could get a remix in Smash thanks to her being a fighter is super hype!

(Plus Ridley leaked and made the reveal more of an "Oh, okay, the leak was right" moment than a "OHMAGERSH IS BIGLEY" moment for me. I probably would've been more excited for him if he didn't leak, TBH.)

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking, usually the Pokemon reveals either happen early on in speculation (Pokemon trainer was 2nd newcomer confirmed after those in initial trailer, Greninja was 3rd after E3 showing) or until after release (All but Pikachu in Melee, Lucario in Brawl, Mewtwo as DLC in 4).

I hope it's the former as they are due.
Well since everyone is being shown before release, this time it would be just later on I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom