• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
In order-most favorite to least favorite (mid at best between Simon & Chrom:
:ultridley::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultchrom::ultrichter::ultdaisy::ultinkling:

So far the newcomers are a lot better than Smash 4's. Smash 4's newcomers just felt...hollow to me. Now we finally get some half way decent characters that I'm interested in.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Honestly at this point the only characters I want in(that I don’t feel like are 90-100% likely) are from 3rd party series that I feel like should have already been in the game.

Erdrick and/or Eight from Dragon Quest and Jill from Resident Evil.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On Smash 4's newcomers, the biggest ones were Mega Man, Vilager, Little Mac and Shulk at least in my eyes.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Very difficult for me to choose between them and Blizzard, I have a slight preference to the Smash trailers because I love the source material so much, but Blizzard have been at the top of video game CG Animation since the days of Warcraft 3 and continue to pump out one amazing cinematic after the other. Like, Diablo 3 was a pretty poor game with a shambolic story imo, but I still felt like I got my money's worth just from the cinematics alone. The various WoW trailers are also top drawer, especially the Wrath of the Lich King one.

But then I see the K. Rool trailer again, and man, I don't want to choose.
blizzard objectively does make better trailers. the overwatch trailers (especially the widowmaker and reindardt one) are several levels above the smash cg trailers. i still find th epalutena reveal trailer from smash 4 to be the best overall trailer with king k being a close second. but blizzard azeroth trailer, lich king trailer, and more are just too good.
only other cg trailer that has come close to blizzard was the knights of the old republic trailers. crap game. brilliant trailers.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Unlike a lot of people I don't really have a problem with Smash 4's newcomers, but comparing Smash 4's roster and Ultimate's roster almost seems unfair.
Even if you ignore all the returning veterans, characters like Inkling and K Rool are way cooler than Dark Pit and Lucina imo.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So I need help.

I want to find an NES input port that connects it to a USB wireless receiver. With two input ports. That would be recognized by the switch as a third party controller.

I want to do this because I’d like to play smash Ultimate with a power glove and a track and field mat.

Anyone know where the products would be?

D

Deleted member

Unlike a lot of people I don't really have a problem with Smash 4's newcomers, but comparing Smash 4's roster and Ultimate's roster almost seems unfair.
Even if you ignore all the returning veterans, characters like Inkling and K Rool are way cooler than Dark Pit and Lucina imo.
>Comparing rosters is unfair
>Proceeds to compare two unique characters to Smash 4's clones

Uh...what?

D

Deleted member

~When people talk about Gothitelle in Smash~
52353.jpg

Smash 4 had some fantastic newcomers though.
:ultgreninja::ultlittlemac::ultcloud::ultpacman::ultryu::ultmegaman::ultvillager::ultrosalina::ultpalutena:

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"You shouldn't compare these rosters, but here's why this one is better than the other lmao"
dude you aight?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't see any Indies making it in the roster. The only one that does have a shot IMO is Reimu.
You made me think of this:

What if we do actually get an indie rep, but it's Reimu. How do you all think the community react? How would you all react?

I for one think it'd be cool. I'm already happy with this roster, so anything else is the cherry on top of the icing on the cake. I would love to see Reimu, if only for all the salt she would cause.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I agree actually. Even if you ignore all the returning veterans, characters like Villager and Robin are way cooler than Daisy and Chrom.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

What if we do actually get an indie rep, but it's Reimu. How do you all think the community react? How would you all react?

I for one think it'd be cool. I'm already happy with this roster, so anything else is the cherry on top of the icing on the cake. I would love to see Reimu, if only for all the salt she would cause.
Who the **** is Reimu?

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
Likely because we tend to see hints in clouds, colored chairs, and comments on eye strain.
I see you like to keep making fun of these hints, but never bother to give a reason besides "it's a stretch" when it really isn't considering that, so far, they've all come true.

I'd like you to give me an explanation why you think the barrel and wooden ladder were in the background if they were not hinting at K.Rool.
"It is just how his office looks!" No, this stuff is way too random for that to be the case, it has to be a stage.
"It doesn't mean anything!" No, there would be no reason for the background in the 8/8 Direct to look any different then. Changing a background that has no hidden meaning would just be a waste of time. Besides, if I remember correctly, the background in the Smash 4 Directs were always the same, so why bother changing that now?

It also boggles my mind how anyone can argue that the "red eyes" comment was not a hint. Seriously, both "real" newcomers in the Direct had a connection to red eyes. Simon with Bloody Tears, which just so happens to be one of the most popular Castlevania tracks ever, and K.Rool is obvious. Yes, Sakurai really had red eyes in the Direct, but that doesn't disprove that this was also a hint, unlike people seem to think. There is no reason for it not to be both a hint AND him saying he's tired.

I think it's not possible for Sakurai to give hints that are less subtle without just completely giving it away. There will also again be someone to say "well then the plant and floor must also be hints in your eyes lul". No, because, unlike a freaking rope ladder in an office, those don't stand out.
Seriously, if you sent someone a picture of the background and told them that it's an office and nothing else, almost anyone would question a ladder like that just hanging there.

I genuinely want a real argument as to how anyone can think what I said here is not accurate, besides "it's a stretch" and "you're looking too much into it".
I don't even want you to believe the chairs mean anything, even though they likely do, but these past hints were, undeniably in my eyes, hints.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If I appreciate 1 thing about Smash 4, it's the newcomers. Many of them spiced up gameplay in really interesting ways. As Smash Ultimate gives us what we seem to be wanting now, I'm glad 4 had some of the more outlandish picks that we can still play as with these new characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

"WE ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH ANIME WAAAAAAAA"
But you got 2 Western fan favourites as unique newco-
"BUT IT'S ANIMEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Noipoi

Howdy!
Smash 4's newcomers were great, what you all talking about?
Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Bowser Jr, Palutena, the dlc characters, even though Charizard isn't new he got flare blitz which is rad.
A lot of people don't like Smash 4 but it did great things!

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Any interesting rumors that have caught your eye? Wondering if any of them are worth talking about lol

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

As a closet Touhou fan, I'd be hype.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I see you like to keep making fun of these hints, but never bother to give a reason besides "it's a stretch" when it really isn't considering that, so far, they've all come true.

I'd like you to give me an explanation why you think the barrel and wooden ladder were in the background if they were not hinting at K.Rool.
"It is just how his office looks!" No, this stuff is way too random for that to be the case, it has to be a stage.
"It doesn't mean anything!" No, there would be no reason for the background in the 8/8 Direct to look any different then. Changing a background that has no hidden meaning would just be a waste of time. Besides, if I remember correctly, the background in the Smash 4 Directs were always the same, so why bother changing that now?

It also boggles my mind how anyone can argue that the "red eyes" comment was not a hint. Seriously, both "real" newcomers in the Direct had a connection to red eyes. Simon with Bloody Tears, which just so happens to be one of the most popular Castlevania tracks ever, and K.Rool is obvious. Yes, Sakurai really had red eyes in the Direct, but that doesn't disprove that this was also a hint, unlike people seem to think. There is no reason for it not to be both a hint AND him saying he's tired.

I think it's not possible for Sakurai to give hints that are less subtle without just completely giving it away. There will also again be someone to say "well then the plant and floor must also be hints in your eyes lul". No, because, unlike a freaking rope ladder in an office, those don't stand out.
Seriously, if you sent someone a picture of the background and told them that it's an office and nothing else, almost anyone would question a ladder like that just hanging there.

I genuinely want a real argument as to how anyone can think what I said here is not accurate, besides "it's a stretch" and "you're looking too much into it".
I don't even want you to believe the chairs mean anything, even though they likely do, but these past hints were, undeniably in my eyes, hints.
Maybe it's a version of stockholm syndrome, but I can understand 4chan when they call Smash fans delusional.

Roberk

Smash Champion

There would definitely be salt, but I personally wouldn't mind so it'll be fun watching all of the reactions with a bowl of popcorn ready. I also hear that Touhou has some pretty good music, so that'd be a plus.

D

Deleted member

I agree actually. Even if you ignore all the returning veterans, characters like Villager and Robin are way cooler than Daisy and Chrom.
Brawl was better than Smash 4 though. Even if you ignore all the returning veterans, characters like Pokemon Trainer and Olimar are way cooler than Lucina and Dark Pit.

D

Deleted member

I don't think it would cause any real salt, the only salt I could see would be from Shantae fans. Reimu, and in general, Touhou Project being in would be a pretty huge deal, considering it's essentially the biggest indie franchise of all time (If we still say Minecraft is "indie", then I suppose second), so I don't see any problem with it.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Any interesting rumors that have caught your eye? Wondering if any of them are worth talking about lol
Nope. None in the slightest. Most "leaks" are the same old same old really. The Dante leak caught my eye, but it's similar to most others so it's nothing big.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, Bowser Jr, Palutena, the dlc characters, even though Charizard isn't new he got flare blitz which is rad.
A lot of people don't like Smash 4 but it did great things!
Seems like the Smash 4 hate started very slowly and late...only to become a big deal to hate on Bayonetta and dummies

D

Deleted member

I think people sometimes forget we got ****ing Mega Man and he's by far the hypest 3rd Party imo. And as a Shulk main, I couldn't find a character that feels as natural for me to play if I tried.

I really wouldn't mind Touhou stuff, however they would translate a bullet-hell character into Smash, I'd be interested to see how it all plays out.

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
Maybe it's a version of stockholm syndrome, but I can understand 4chan when they call Smash fans delusional.
How is what I said delusional? I don't get it, how can people, again, just deny or ignore what I wrote? With no argument? This is so weird to me, you think all these things lining up perfectly were just coincidences?

D

Deleted member

Seems like the Smash 4 hate started very slowly and late...only to become a big deal to hate on Bayonetta and dummies
It was cool to hate on Brawl before Smash 4 came out, so when Smash 6 happens, people will probably hate on Ultimate and Smash 4 will be praised for the same reasons people hate on it now. Such is the circle of Smash.

I don't like Sonic.

D

Deleted member

How is what I said delusional? I don't get it, how can people, again, just deny or ignore what I wrote? With no argument? This is so weird to me, you think all these things lining up perfectly were just coincidences?
I agree with you, after all, we saw Ridley in the clouds far before he was confirmed playable.

D

Deleted member

I think Brawl had sharper newcomers in general, but Smash 4 is ten times more fun to play than Brawl.
I do not hate Brawl, but playing it is not as much of a blast as Smash 4.
I think people sometimes forget we got ****ing Mega Man and he's by far the hypest 3rd Party imo. And as a Shulk main, I couldn't find a character that feels as natural for me to play if I tried.
I can beat you in a Shulk ditto. :shades:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just wanted to say after watching them all, Digital Frontier is the absolute best animation studio in the gaming industry, no question. Better than Square. Better than Marza. They worked on my favorite Smash 4 trailers.

The amount of love, care, detail and expertise that they put into these trailers is phenomenal.

The Mega Man and Simon trailers still give me chills. The Tekken CG is just as incredible.
Yeah, man, they're ****ing stellar. They worked on the Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Rising cutscenes too and those are just as good.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I really wouldn't mind Touhou stuff, however they would translate a bullet-hell character into Smash, I'd be interested to see how it all plays out.
Well there are two touhou fighting games out there, both of which have Reimu as a character.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

What about Ganondorf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom