• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Blastoise doesn't have claws, horns, or spikes on its shell. It'd need a lot more changed then just neutral-b.
Blastoise has claws. Horns aren’t necessary for using the head as a weapon. Blastoise doesn’t need spikes if he uses water from his cannons while spinning in his shell.

See claws below:
AFB12DCA-CBCE-461D-8C93-399F0B1442B7.png

CAE52EEE-9CEC-4C34-B0E2-39839FCC7DC0.png

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of Dante...I don't believe that leak, but I don't think guns will be a deal breaker for him either. I don't think Sakurai would scrap a character just because of age rating. A trophy like Tharja, maybe, but I think making an interesting game is more important to him then keeping that E 10+ rating. And even then, I think they could still take creative liberties to make his bullets seem less realistic.

Would that even change the age rating though? Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger has real fire arms, but it's still rated E 10+. Why would Smash be any different?
Blastoise has claws. Horns aren’t necessary for using the head as a weapon. Blastoise doesn’t need spikes if he uses water from his cannons while spinning in his shell.

See claws below:
View attachment 159160

View attachment 159161
Oh yeah, I guess he does. I guess I was just thinking about how he doesn't learn any slashing or cutting moves by either TM or Level Up.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I keep saying nobody actually loved the gameplay of Subspace. It was a worse Adventure mode, but with bosses (which were the best thing about it gameplay wise). What people ACTUALLY want are cutscenes. We can have a mode that's exactly like Subspace but plays better, bosses and all, but if there's no cutscenes people will complain, because that's what people really want.
You can't really blame them, the cutscenes were the best part of Subspace.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I keep saying nobody actually loved the gameplay of Subspace. It was a worse Adventure mode, but with bosses (which were the best thing about it gameplay wise). What people ACTUALLY want are cutscenes. We can have a mode that's exactly like Subspace but plays better, bosses and all, but if there's no cutscenes people will complain, because that's what people really want.
You gotta blame it all on this cutscene

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Gil would be neat in all honesty, especially if they go with a more classic look like Simon got.

I really don't see Gil ever happening, but he would probably be second to Klonoa for cool namco characters imo, who is also never happening lmao.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
On the topic of Dante...I don't believe that leak, but I don't think guns will be a deal breaker for him either. I don't think Sakurai would scrap a character just because of age rating. A trophy like Tharja, maybe, but I think making an interesting game is more important to him then keeping that E 10+ rating. And even then, I think they could still take creative liberties to make his bullets seem less realistic.

Would that even change the age rating though? Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger has real fire arms, but it's still rated E 10+. Why would Smash be any different?
Oh yeah, I guess he does. I guess I was just thinking about how he doesn't learn any slashing or cutting moves by either TM or Level Up.
Which always sent me into a mouth foaming stupor.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I mean, its okay to say what you feel, but people have actual reasons for thinking Skull Kid is in the game (and some of them are legit).

Even with Geno and Isaac, their chance have risen dramatically since we know Sakurai is directly pulling characters now from the Ballot. No, it does not mean every new character will be from there, BUT its the idea that they have a much larger chance now because he must have also seen their names show up on the ballot as well (they likely were some of the highest picks, as they always are)
Well said

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Gil would be neat in all honesty, especially if they go with a more classic look like Simon got.

I really don't see Gil ever happening, but he would probably be second to Klonoa for cool namco characters imo, who is also never happening lmao.
I always freaking forget Klonoa. Klonoa would fit like a glove.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
* looks at bayonetta fox falco snake.....* sure real looking guns are totaly out of question
Nobody in Smash has a realistic looking gun...don’t try to use them as an excuse for Dante
You guys act like he can't just add more stages later. If he has more characters to reveal, he's not going to spoil their stages beforehand. There's 103 he's WILLING to show off so far. You don't have to be so negative and assume he's going to show us literally ALL of the content before he's even done revealing characters.
You...Preach More...It Is Needed
How are we still not talking about mii costumes?
K. Rool,
Chrom,
Knuckles,
Protoman,
Dunban,
Zero,
Inkling
and Rathalos
were ALL mii costumes and all of them now have respesentation in Ultimate.

Rest In Peace Ashley and Takamaru. I can only hope you are literally just assists brought over and made into characters behind the scenes.

We now have no confirmation on
Majora’s Mask,
Geno,
Lloyd Irving,
Heihachi,
Isabelle,
K.K. Slider,
Gil,
Tails,
Hunter,
Viridi,
Akira,
Jacky,
And Black Knight
Who were all mii costumes as well.
Tails is still roaming around Green Hill Zone and Viridi has been shown on the Reset Bomb Forest stage (doesn’t affect their chances too bad though)
Apart from Chun-Li I don't think any of those guys are nearly as iconic as dante, his inclusion would make sense, I'd honestly expect a resident evil character first though since that series is how DMC even got it's start and resident evil as a franchise is more well known
Ken is more iconic than Dante...and of course so is Resident Evil

They’d have to give him a Snake/Bayonetta like change
He has realistic guns though, bayonetta also does technically but they probably get away with that because the bullets have magic like effects, dante can't really get away with that.

But if his inclusion could pave the way for Lara Croft I'm all for it.
Lara Croft in Smash...a must need/have

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Because Ness uses some attacks that don't exist in Mother 1, like PK Flash and PK Starstorm.
Except that's exactly what Simon and Richter are to each other.

I'm just saying, if Ninten's problem is that he looks too similar to Ness, just make him an alt costume.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
You can't really blame them, the cutscenes were the best part of Subspace.
Which is exactly why I say Subspace 2 is not really what people want. Any sort of single player with a decent bit of cutscenes they'll take. I feel like people would take a worse mode gameplay wise if it had cutscenes over a much better mode with none.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ninten and Hilda make me wrinkle my head, which is no good.

At least Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus, Isabelle and Shadow had support before all this.

Not so much Ken and Richter, but frankly Ryu and Simon support was also nothing to write home about before they got leaked.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

See claws below:
View attachment 159160

View attachment 159161
Frankly, I feel that Dry Bowser would work much better as Bowser's Echo Fighter, especially considering that they basically share the same body shape and properties.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Nobody in Smash has a realistic looking gun...don’t try to use them as an excuse for Dante

You...Preach More...It Is Needed

Tails is still roaming around Green Hill Zone and Viridi has been shown on the Reset Bomb Forest stage (doesn’t affect their chances too bad though)

Ken is more iconic than Dante...and of course so is Resident Evil

They’d have to give him a Snake/Bayonetta like change

Lara Croft in Smash...a must need/have
You’re right on Tails and Viridi. But, they reused assets and may have just left them in the demo build to keep us off a trail.

Wow, that sounds way more conspiracy theory than expected.
Anyways, that makes 4 basically deconfirmed(didn’t change from last game as of demo build).
The rest are still something to watch.

I wonder if Sakurai made the costumes to see which costumes were bought most...as maybe a ballot confirming strategy?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Man, looking at my mains...

3/5 wouldn't have ever been in smash if popularity was the only thing that mattered.

Only ridley (duh) and ganondorf would get in.

It really makes ya think doesn't it?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
It's very likely some form of serious pve content will be in, as it would be very hard at this point in time from what evidence we know for sakurai to handwave Dracula and Rathalos as stage bosses. This to me suggests that Brawl style bosses are a safe bet.

I'm still probably gonna guess the new mode is an extended version of the great maze, with a large map to fight enemies and rescue all the unlockable characters at this point in time. But I also feel like the bosses may also be incoprorated into classic mode too, so who knows. Not to mention, the bosses look better designed in Smash UT than they were in brawl, they look smaller, but more threatening, in comparison to brawl's which were larger but could sometimes feel like you're just wailing on them in their long downtimes. This also suggests imo that Sakurai and the devs took time to ask what makes a good boss battle.

I imagine the final result will be subspace-esque, but, a lot shorter, with the story ripped out and better, less bland gameplay and level design.
I have a theory that this new "spirits" mode will be how event matches are incorporated in the game. In smash 4 the event screen had branching paths rather than a simple list.

I imagine instead of selecting an event, event matches and bosses will be scattered across a labyrinth which the player explores, fights enemies, collect stuff, etc. I guess the best comparison to make is with the Krypt from Mortal Kombat X.

D

Deleted member

I still think there are many, many options for a Capcom rep that are more interesting and fitting than Dante, but that is simply my opinion and nothing more. If it happens, oh well, it's one character out of like, what, 70 some odd characters? I'll simply not use him and ignore him like I did Bayo. It's just a character, after all: nothing to be upset about either way. :)

I do find it interesting that this leak is getting so much backing from people, though, especially because there isn't much substance to it IMO. It reminds me a lot of the CEO leak; something that got some things right, ergo the rest must be right. Honestly, I think the only reason we're talking about it is because we're all excited for the next character reveal and speculation is fun. Plus, these things kinda go in waves: first it was Skull Kid and pillows, now it's Dante and 4chan. I wonder what the next thing will be?

Smash speculation is such a wild ride, man. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I think that "Spirits" is just a Boss Rush mode.
Then why would it be on the top menu? If it is one single mode, but is displayed with Smash and all the contents therein, plus Games and more for all the single player, event and silly modes there....Spirits is probably bigger than a boss rush.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
You’re right on Tails and Viridi. But, they reused assets and may have just left them in the demo build to keep us off a trail.

Anyways, that makes 4 basically deconfirmed(didn’t change from last game as of demo build).

I wonder if Sakurai made the costumes to see which costumes were bought most...as maybe a ballot confirming strategy?
Heads up that K.K. still plays on Smashville so he's likely out of the running. I get why people don't count stage backgrounds as a deconfirmation...but like I also don't get why? You know? Those three are out for me. (Also sorry Captain Toad fans).

But yea Mii Costumes clearly aren't a perfect prediction but they do give an idea of who did well in the ballot. Geno seems more likely.

I never realized this but Isaac never got a Mii costume...he would have fit perfectly over the Swordsman. Maybe he didn't do as good as people expected.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Heads up that K.K. still plays on Smashville so he's likely out of the running. I get why people don't count stage backgrounds as a deconfirmation...but like I also don't get why? You know? Those three are out for me. (Also sorry Captain Toad fans).

But yea Mii Costumes clearly aren't a perfect prediction but they do give an idea of who did well in the ballot. Geno seems more likely.

I never realized this but Isaac never got a Mii costume...he would have fit perfectly over the Swordsman. Maybe he didn't do as good as people expected.
Banjo & Kazooie didn't get a Mii Fighter costume either.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Definitely not perfect, but rumors aren’t exactly something we believe in either...but it’s what people are talking about.

I didn’t know K.K. Slider was there. That’s my bad. I would count that as deconfirmation.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Subspace was a good idea with medicore excecution.

The story was lambasted when it came out for being convoluted, dragged out and nothing like what people expected when they first saw "Smash Bros story mode". Most people remember the best parts like ROBs reveal and the aformationed cutscene where they all team up and enter subspace. But at the time I remember no one really know What to think of Subspace, it's still honestly, one of the weirdest things that was ever put in a major game imo and still leaves me asking questions. Why is the pokemon of the sky in a lake? Why is the main plot twist that Mother 3 tried to hide until the last chapter spoiled in front of your face non stop? Why are the only locations from an actual game the Halberd, Skyworld and a destroyed version of the Zoo from Mother 1? This was before Kid Icarus got rebooted for real too, and iirc that was close to being a star fox game so i don't believe Uprising was being planned for that long.

People wouldn't mind no cutscenes as much if the enemies and worlds were actually from games instead of a generic set of enemies and very bland worlds (I like the subspace army as designs a lot tbh, they were just placed in the wrong game).

Hell you could just take some ideas from Kid Icarus and have the story mode just being NPCs having banter between each other while you play.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Truth be told, Namco doesn't have too many obvious picks that jump out to people like Lloyd Irving, or anyone related to Tekken, Soul Calibur or Pac-Man. Klonoa's best (and possibly only) chance is if they included him to promote his movie that's currently under production hell.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Truth be told, Namco doesn't have too many obvious picks that jump out to people like Lloyd Irving, or anyone related to Tekken, Soul Calibur or Pac-Man. Klonoa's best (and possibly only) chance is if they included him to promote his movie that's currently under production hell.
There's also Agumon, but he has low chances of getting in on the base roster, but as DLC, he has a shot.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I don’t think Viridi was left out (they made her an entirely new model...hopefully for her as a playable character), but Tails & Fake Knuckles were likely left there just because

And if the Mii Costumes were used to see who people wanted, explains why Chrom and K Rool are playable while Knuckles and Ashley are ATs

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I say the mii costumes to point the fingers at are the following

Excluding Chrom, King K. Rool and inklings

Black knight
Monster hunter (being presented)
Lloyd
Heihachi
Isabelle
Viridi
Tails
And for the most likely of all of them and that’s Geno.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I say the mii costumes to point the fingers at are the following

Excluding Chrom, King K. Rool and inklings

Black knight
Monster hunter (being presented)
Lloyd
Heihachi
Isabelle
Viridi
Tails
And for the most likely of all of them and that’s Geno.
Heihachi and Isabelle got their costumes the day the ballot started, meaning that they were not influenced by it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Then why would it be on the top menu? If it is one single mode, but is displayed with Smash and all the contents therein, plus Games and more for all the single player, event and silly modes there....Spirits is probably bigger than a boss rush.
Keep in mind that Smash Tour got a spot on the main menu of Smash 4.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At this point, I feel that all the likely 1st party candidates have been taken care of. Everyone else is more on the lines of being possible, unlikely, or nearly impossible.

The same goes for Smash Run in Smash 3DS as well.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
And that was an entirely new game mode of the likes we've never seen before. Unpopular, but still more interesting in concept than a generic boss rush mode.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I meant personally I would find Klonoa the coolest namco character my bad. Heihachi, Tales Protag etc are all much more likely then anyone else for Namco.

Also the Klonoa movie has Namco's Blessing, but at the moment there is literally no evidence Namco themselves are actually directly involved. He really does have no chance beyond a possible AT

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yes. And while it did suck, it didn’t take up a spot equal in size to the “Smash” option, it has more content than a boss rush(again, sucked) and still was a top menu after thought. Spirits is tied for largest top menu icon with Smash this time around. If they care about the UI at all, then Spirits has to be worth considering compared to Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom