• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I know I shouldnt get hyped but Ive wanted medusa since 2012.
She fits perfectly as an echo and Viridi has been deconfirmed
Also her VA has been doing what shulks VA did and is liking tweets asking about her voicing in smash but she hasnt said a word about it
Im going to keep my hopes up since this is the most likely my goth mom has ever been
Especially since weve been getting more villains, and shes a girl villain and the last big NES villain missing
Im going to hope
Ashley crushed me sure but Medusa trumps ashley in terms of my hopes and dreams

She would require barely any work to add. since in game during her boss fight she uses warp, auto reticle, explosive flames, etc

D

Deleted member

When Smash Ultimate releases, I really want to make a "No One is Here!" trailer.

It's the same stages and camera angles as the "Everyone is Here!" trailer, but no characters are present. So it's just this epic theme blaring over a bunch of empty, panning camera shots.
Once that happens, we'll need to edit that version over all the dumb reaction videos.

*shows empty shot of Shadow Moses Island*
NO ONE IS
HERE!

Person in video: DKAJSBDOIASJFPONEKBJFNLGKND

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Also her VA has been doing what shulks VA did and is liking tweets asking about her voicing in smash but she hasnt said a word about it
Im going to keep my hopes up since this is the most likely my goth mom has ever been
Especially since weve been getting more villains, and shes a girl villain and the last big NES villain missing
Im going to hope

She would require barely any work to add. since in game during her boss fight she uses warp, auto reticle, explosive flames, etc

More power to you, hope you can get Medusa.

She'd be cool as a Palutena echo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
New game, name 9 characters you think are likely, sorted into three groups: Remaining Ballot Picks (3), Previously Considered (3), and Sakurai Picks (3). Exclude echoes. Here I will be excluding Isabelle and Dixie cause I’ll assume they’re echoes.

Remaining Ballot Picks:
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Skull Kid
- Isaac

Previously Considered:
- Chorus Kids
- Geno
- Heihachi or Lloyd
(If Skull Kid is later deconfirmed, replace him with Geno in the Ballot Picks list and have both Heihachi and Lloyd in the Previously Considered list)

Sakurai Picks:
- Elma
- Dante
- Gen 7 Pokémon (this should be pretty obvious)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I see we're discussing popularity and its factor on each Ultimate character!
Well, there's a character that has infinite moveset potential, a unique design, well-loved by Nintendo's fanbase. He also scored high consistently on Ballot fanpolls. He also has a stage and music in the game already.
His name's Paper Mario.
Please oh God just give me him.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
On Simon not being a popular ballot pick...

I feel like Castlevania is a series where the games themselves are more iconic and "popular" than any of it's individual characters. People remember the gameplay, the experience, but not so much a CHARACTER attachment in the same way you would with many of the ballot picks.

Additionally, the protagonist is always changing. Yes, you would expect a Belmont, but that's going to be split AT LEAST between Simon, Trevor, and Richter, if not more...plus Alucard.

I think "representing" notable GAMES is just as important as notable CHARACTERS. It's the love of Castlevania itself that made Simon one of my most wanted newcomers, and the same reason why I'd really want a Dragon Quest character.
Agreed. I’ve played a few, never to completion on any, and never developed an attachment to any name other than Belmont itself. And Alucard. The series is pretty popular throughout gaming history. Simon being the first makes sense as far as guessing Sakurai’s motives.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The only weird thing with Medusa as a Palutena echo is she'd either be taller if you count her hair, or face to face she'd be shorter but the same size with the hair. Hitboxes and animations would definitely need to be altered a bit.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm not a Sonic fan in the slightest, but I'd like seeing Shadow make it in. He's the epitome of dream rosters people have made over the years, way before Sonic was even a playable character. It's similar reasoning that makes me think I would've been more on board with the amount of FE characters we have if I was younger, since I didn't know Marth and Roy in Melee and I thought they were the bee's knees. I do think Tails got the short end of the stick, though.
Tails was still part of that old April Fools Joke for Melee that EGM pulled. Some attribute that to why Sonic was so requested for Brawl. That should technically make Tails' support older then Shadow's. Just maybe not quite as loud as Shadow's post-Brawl support (Shadow was always on top in downloads of Brawl Modding sites for instance).

It's kinda why while it's still a small chance. Imagine if both Tails and Shadow find their way in. Even if one's an echo (Shadow) and one may have to wait for DLC (Tails). Then all those Brawl modders who downloaded Shadow mod(/s) and the people who remember that april fools joke both get something fully realized in Smash after all these years.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Once that happens, we'll need to edit that version over all the dumb reaction videos.

*shows empty shot of Shadow Moses Island*
NO ONE IS
HERE!

Person in video: DKAJSBDOIASJFPONEKBJFNLGKND
Edit the K. Rool reveal so when the silhouette of K. Rool is over them, the costume comes off and there’s no one there. *Simian jaw drop*

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't think I'll ever be sure on which Zelda characters are the most likely at this point, assuming we'll actually finally get another Zelda newcomer.

I'll say it yet again, Tetra's my most wanted newcomer (not just from LoZ, but most wanted overall, in fact), but my hopes for her aren't exactly high. I'd be pretty happy with Skull Kid, too, though.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I showed my sister this video and she just kind of gave me a funny look. I don't think she understands the K.Rool hype.

Maybe you guys will appreciate it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Viridi has already be deconfirmed which just leaves Medusa, Magnus, Hades and Phosphora
Also her being shown in the background isnt throwing ppl off the trail, shes just legit deconfirmed lmfao
Pyrosphere is missing now that ridley is playable. Spirit tracks has a toon link in a completely different outfit from the one in smash and hes a totally different char cause its the ST Link and not the WW Link

When it comes to Kid Icarus
Medusa works INSANELY well as an echo of Palu. She uses legit all of Palus specials from smash in her boss fight.
Phosphora I dont see happening since shes barely in uprising
Magnus I also dont see happening. He works better as an AT
Hades would need to be a completely new character

I bet you we will get Hades or Medusa tho.

Also everytime I see these "Well they wouldnt work as an echo!" for chars like black knight, and Dixie. Holy hecc. Just look at Dark Samus, Daisy and Chrom LOL. Dixie works fine just make her up b a twirl. Black Knight is canonically faster than Ike and is one of the fastest units in his game and in cutscenes moves faster than ike. Just edit a few animtions like dark samus had (just the flip on ikes double jump) and give him a warp and youre done.

When it comes to echoes rn the MOST realistic choics are Medusa, Black Knight, Dixie, Isabelle, Ken and Shadow. Those 6 are the front runners of who is the most likely and most logical to be added next. All of them fit their original character perfectly and are very very very similar to their original counterpart.
Medusa = Palutenas twisted evil sister, same build and weapon and also uses divine magic. Uses straight up palus specials in her boss fight.
Black Knight = Trained with Ikes dad. Both have the same fighting style in canon. Uses the sister sword of Ike.
Isabelle = fits villager to a tee when it comes to proportions and just make her show cute emotions rather than creepy ones
Shadow = Sonics dark clone "FAKER!!!!" and super easy to add since he acts the exact same as sonic in almost every game hes in
Ken = the original Echo fighter. Legit all you have to do is swap his head, change his down b animation and give up b a fire multihit and youre good to go
Dixie = fits Diddys proportions. Just get rid of his jab finished and give her a twirling up b and youre good to go.
Im going to hope

Ok you made me feel a lot better about Medusa! I didn't know she was so similar to Palutena in her source game, wasn't sure she would make sense as an echo. How do you think they'll handle attacks that involve Palutena's wings?

Personally I want her to use some of the specials Palutena isn't using this time. Think that would be a good way to recycle them.

Alright she might not have done super well in the ballot but she makes a lot of sense as an echo and is now one of Sakurai's babies so let's go Medusa!

Also you need to add Impa to that list of echoes. So easily could be an echo of Shiek and she was probably one of the highest Zelda characters on the ballot as Hyrule Warriors had just come out.
New game, name 9 characters you think are likely, sorted into three groups: Remaining Ballot Picks (3), Previously Considered (3), and Sakurai Picks (3). Exclude echoes. Here I will be excluding Isabelle and Dixie cause I’ll assume they’re echoes.

Remaining Ballot Picks:
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Skull Kid
- Isaac

Previously Considered:
- Chorus Kids
- Geno
- Heihachi or Lloyd
(If Skull Kid is later deconfirmed, replace him with Geno in the Ballot Picks list and have both Heihachi and Lloyd in the Previously Considered list)

Sakurai Picks:
- Elma
- Dante
I was going to play this until you said exclude echoes.....sorry but I'm gunna break that rule lol. I don't expect more than 10 newcomers remaining even counting echoes.

Ballot Picks
Bandanna Dee
Skull Kid
Isabelle/Impa (Either honestly)

Previously
Geno
Dixie
Chorus Kids

Sakurai Picks
Gen 7 (Please Decidueye)
Medusa
Rayman (Not really a Sakurai pick but a Nintendo one lol)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
On Capcom reps - With Street Fighter, Megaman and Monster Hunter already gained representation in Smash (in terms of playable characters, assist trophies, stages etc), here are the other potential Capcom franchises that could be repped:

- Devil May Cry - The series had been revived ever since the fifth installment was unveiled back during this year's E3. Dante & Vergil had made previous appearances within a number of crossover games which include the Marvel Vs Capcom series and especially with the Project X Zone games which came out on the Nintendo 3DS. Dante would obviously be the main candidate to represent the series if he was in Smash.

- Resident Evil - Another Capcom gem which is still going strong at the moment. The series did have a number of titles for Nintendo consoles starting back from the Game Boy Color. In addition, the likes of Chris Redfield, Albert Wesker, Jill Valentine, Leon S. Kennedy etc had made a number of crossover games which include the Marvel Vs Capcom series and Project X Zone. Personally, I think between Jill or Leon should represent as playable characters for Smash.

- Ace Attorney - The series had been with Nintendo ever since the Game Boy Advance in Japan and then ported over to the worldwide release for the Nintendo DS. Phoenix Wright would be the most ideal candidate to represent the series.

Others that I would like to see being repped from the Capcom franchises: Viewtiful Joe, Darkstalkers, Strider, Captain Commando.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I don't think I'll ever be sure on which Zelda characters are the most likely at this point, assuming we'll actually finally get another Zelda newcomer.

I'll say it yet again, Tetra's my most wanted newcomer (not just from LoZ, but most wanted overall, in fact), but my hopes for her aren't exactly high. I'd be pretty happy with Skull Kid, too, though.
Talon reveal trailer:

Talon finds out “What in Tarnation!”

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So I showed my sister this video and she just kind of gave me a funny look. I don't think she understands the K.Rool hype.

They'd also probably have to know about the Trumpet Meme in the first place

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't understimating Castlevania, I'm just saying that I didn't see so much requets for Simon back in the date of the Smash Ballot. I know Castlevania is very popular, all of my friends love that saga, but I didn't see so much request for the characters to join smash

So, according to this poll, Paper Mario is the 3rd most wanted 1st party character that's not on the current roster... Unless I'm reading that wrong.
Well, there's a character that has infinite moveset potential, a unique design, well-loved by Nintendo's fanbase. He also scored high consistently on Ballot fanpolls. He also has a stage and music in the game already.
His name's Paper Mario.
I second this. Paper Mario is still my most wanted character and has been since post-Melee.

Ken, Skull Kid, and Geno would be really cool too. Please Sakurai.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ok you made me feel a lot better about Medusa! I didn't know she was so similar to Palutena in her source game, wasn't sure she would make sense as an echo. How do you think they'll handle attacks that involve Palutena's wings?
Palutena's wing attacks were a creative liberty to begin with, and they're magical, not physical. I don't think it'd be a huge stretch to give Medusa black ones. I'm more concerned with her u-air and sheild attacks.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I was going based off the exit poll, in which Simon Belmont did appear.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

I'd argue that if Simon Belmont had a similar result in the ballot then Sakurai would at least have been partially be influenced by that. He'd probably also be aware that Snake not being in the game would probably cause people to shy away from voting for Simon Belmont. (and that they would probably vote for Snake before voting for Simon)

Not to mention he's a gaming icon. It probably goes without saying that he'd be a popular pick.
I agree on the he's inclution is because the Castlevania series is gaming history, and it's popular. My point from the start is that I don't think we're only gonna get characters based on the ballot, simply because I didn't see much request for Simon and I think he get in the game for different reasos besides the ballot, that's all

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So, according to this poll, Paper Mario is the 3rd most wanted 1st party character that's not on the current roster... Unless I'm reading that wrong.

I second this. Paper Mario is still my most wanted character and has been since post-Melee.

Ken, Skull Kid, and Geno would be really cool too. Please Sakurai.
So the thing with these polls is that they really are not 100% reliable. However, even in other polls Paper Mario has consistently and often hit top 5, and almost always top 8. For first-parties, he basically has averaged out to 3rd most wanted. I just worry that may not be reliable enough or true.
Here's hoping...

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

Yea I've watched this a million times. I absolutely adore the goofy rapping I can't understand.

D

Deleted member

Inklings felt like the only character that was obviously 100% making it in a new Smash game.
If there's DLC for this game, I'm banking on more stuff from Splatoon 2 making it in. It just feels like too much of a runaway success for them to ignore it if DLC is a thing.

Of course, I'm biased, so who knows what'll really happen. :p

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Honestly you can go several ways with Medusa as an echo

Option 1 : Shes the same as Palutena aside from visual affect changes
Option 2 : Bair/DA are stronger at the cost of no shield
Option 3 : Same but she uses Palus cut customs
Option 4 : Shes the same as palutena aside from visual affects, Bair/DA lacking a shield and being stronger/different

For the moves ppl bring up as problematic, Upair can just have the explosive rotating lasers behind her or she can just bite with her snake hair with the same hitboxes. Bair doesnt need a new animation. DA could just be a slash like her claw attack or it could just not have a new animation and just have some kind of effects around her hand.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Capcom has other potential reps. Dante has to compete with Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, the Monster Hunter, and any new Mega Man or Street Fighter reps.
After Amaterasu, Monster Hunter is my 2nd most wanted Capcom character (with Dante slightly behind in third), but with how Sakurai introduced the Monster Hunter content before the actual character, I personally don't think we're getting Monster Hunter as a newcomer. I know Sakurai breaks a lot of rules/tends of his, but one thing I doubt he would ever break is showing content related to a newcomer before newcomer.

As for Dante, he uses realistic guns, and realistic bullets, which would be a big problem with the Smash's current rating, despite how cool Dante being in Smash would be.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Honestly you can go several ways with Medusa as an echo

Option 1 : Shes the same as Palutena aside from visual affect changes
Option 2 : Bair/DA are stronger at the cost of no shield
Option 3 : Same but she uses Palus cut customs
Option 4 : Shes the same as palutena aside from visual affects, Bair/DA lacking a shield and being stronger/different

For the moves ppl bring up as problematic, Upair can just have the explosive rotating lasers behind her or she can just bite with her snake hair with the same hitboxes. Bair doesnt need a new animation. DA could just be a slash like her claw attack or it could just not have a new animation and just have some kind of effects around her hand.

You'd probably need to mirror Palutena's model too because Medusa is apparently left handed. I've also seen things like Medusa forming a temporary "dark shield" when using attacks from Palutena that uses her shield, then said shield vanishing as soon as the attack is over.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
...No, it doesn't mean that who missed Brawl will be added.

Sakurai specifically said that King K. Rool came from the Ballot, the 2015 one. Not because he was requested for years. If a character was requested for Brawl but didn't performed high enough in the Ballot they aren't going to be added. Case in point: Krystal.
I said can get another gp at it, not will though.

Which is true. If this game followed the same plan as Smash 4 their chances would be significantly lowered.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I can't believe we live in a timeline where Shadow feels like a near guarantee and Ridley and K. Rool are in the game.
I love this timeline sometimes
Viridi has already be deconfirmed...Also her being shown in the background isnt throwing ppl off the trail, shes just legit deconfirmed lmfao

When it comes to Kid Icarus
Medusa works INSANELY well as an echo of Palu. She uses legit all of Palus specials from smash in her boss fight.
03E91E15-933C-4E47-85CB-FDB33A41ACB5.jpeg
B391991A-D582-42FC-8EB9-FF1E8723F558.jpeg

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
You'd probably need to mirror Palutena's model too because Medusa is apparently left handed. I've also seen things like Medusa forming a temporary "dark shield" when using attacks from Palutena that uses her shield, then said shield vanishing as soon as the attack is over.
That would easily work. Also her being mirroed would be hard to do since a lot of the hitboxes dont even have to change.
Id be ok with the shield appearing temporarily for her attacks

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Isaac is a Nintendo property that, if we think of the Mii costumes as consolation prizes which most people do, could easily have been made a costume (again, would fit perfectly over Swordfighter).

That's it, this is my reasoning for not predicting Isaac. that and I never cared for him lol
Dark Samus didn't get a Mii costume and she got in due to overseas demand. Takamaru and Ashley got Mii costumes and they are still Assist Trophies.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475

Remaining Ballot Picks:
- Bandana Waddle Dee
- Skull Kid
- Isaac

Previously Considered:
- Chorus Kids
- Geno
- Heihachi or Lloyd

Sakurai Picks:
- Elma
- Dante
Remaining Ballot Picks:
- Isaac (please)
- Either Bandana Dee or a Pokémon rep
- Banjo

Previosuly Considered:
- Geno (though, could be in the first list as well)
- Rhythm Heaven character
- Heihachi

Sakurai Picks:
- Elma
- Skull Kid
- Porky (?)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Most recent article was very interesting. And I assume you've been over it a fair bit here
https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

The two most interesting things are
1. Being very exact with stage count again, I'm convinced that this is the final count

2. Ballot absolutely having an impact.

To me, this screams Bandana Dee is getting in, while Isaac probably isn't due to stages (imo, wouldn't mind being wrong, don't hurt me)

As for Skull Kid, I think he'll be a "We get a lot of demand for a new Zelda character, and he's the most popular one" sort of deal, not necessarily the ballot. But maybe he did do well in the ballot? He refers to both Dark Samus and Chrom as popular picks despite both being deconfirmed in Smash 4.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So what’s this whole thing with Vergeben and Ken?

I heard some people on Discord talking about it.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
His name's Paper Mario.
Miyamoto will force paper mario to attack with nothing but a swarm of different coloured toads and asking for a better moveset will cause him to send a command to your switch forcing it to explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom