• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So if we get a Shin Megami Tensei protagonist over a Persona protagonist I’m actually gonna be surprised tbh, Persona IS Atlus’ biggest series, it has transcended the SMT series in terms of sales and has continued to flourish in recent times, while mainline SMT has dwindled in recent times, especially with the recent release of Persona 5 and Persona being the more user-friendly series overall I really feel Sakurai would lean more towards Persona.

That’s just me though.
....or we could have both represented with the mascot of both series', Jack Frost. Seriously, guys! (btw, hey Nintenzilla!!! Awesome to see you around still!)

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
This is the first smash game where I'm not even sure if we'll get a new Pokemon. There hasn't been any defining Pokemon from gen 7 yet that sticks out in the way that ones like Mewtwo, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja have. Lets not forget that we didn't get reps from gens 3 and 5 as well. They could definitely add one, but there just doesn't seem to be any urgency for any character in particular.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
....or we could have both represented with the mascot of both series', Jack Frost. Seriously, guys!
I actually wouldn’t be opposed to this at all (He’s actually my favorite Persona period)... But...
C1B568AC-1477-4D7B-97F7-5C2658C72BCA.jpeg

He’s earned it I feel, there’s so much to work with in terms of a moveset and his game has been beyond successful considering it made a previously-niche property into a mainstream gaming franchise. Jack could even be in his moveset since he has the Wild-Card. Out of any SMT-related character I feel he’s the best pick.

Jus’ sayin’

(Also hi Luigi the President nice seeing you bud!)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I actually wouldn’t be opposed to this at all (He’s actually my favorite Persona period)... But...View attachment 159089
He’s earned it I feel, there’s so much to work with in terms of a moveset and his game has been beyond successful considering it made a previously-niche property into a mainstream gaming franchise. Jack could even be in his moveset since he has the Wild-Card. Out of any SMT-related character I feel he’s the best pick.

Jus’ sayin’
Persona definitely got its breakthrough with 4, though. You can even argue 3, but 4's been it's own franchise for what, a decade now?
Joker's incredibly recent and his impact on the series, though obviously large, hasn't quite sized up to Narukami's yet.

I personally don't feel any of the protagonists should be playable, it'd cause quite a bit of division. It's different from Cloud; Cloud's a true gaming powerhouse. Cloud is indisputably the most popular FF character in mainstream gaming, and doesn't really have to wrestle with any protagonists for this.

With Joker, he definitely is overpowered by Narukami in many aspects, and even by Minato in some.
Jack Frost would represent both Persona and SMT, has been around for decades, rich and vast history with Nintendo, still utilized by Atlus today. I'd say this little guy has earned it too.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This is the first smash game where I'm not even sure if we'll get a new Pokemon. There hasn't been any defining Pokemon from gen 7 yet that sticks out in the way that ones like Mewtwo, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja have. Lets not forget that we didn't get reps from gens 3 and 5 as well. They could definitely add one, but there just doesn't seem to be any urgency for any character in particular.
If Mario and Zelda can sit a game out when it comes to getting newcomers, so could Pokémon

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
This is the first smash game where I'm not even sure if we'll get a new Pokemon. There hasn't been any defining Pokemon from gen 7 yet that sticks out in the way that ones like Mewtwo, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja have. Lets not forget that we didn't get reps from some other gens 3 and 5 as well. They could definitely add one, but there doesn't seem to be any urgency for any character in particular.
Greninj wasn't really that defined when he was added to Smash 4. He only became huge when Ash-Greninja became a thing. They've already added so many new Pokeball Pokemon and the Ultrabeasts are no where to be seen yet. I think we'll get a newcomer along with a stage themed around the Ultra beasts.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So if we get a Shin Megami Tensei protagonist over a Persona protagonist I’m actually gonna be surprised tbh, Persona IS Atlus’ biggest series, it has transcended the SMT series in terms of sales and has continued to flourish in recent times, while mainline SMT has dwindled in recent times, especially with the recent release of Persona 5 and Persona being the more user-friendly series overall I really feel Sakurai would lean more towards Persona.

That’s just me though.
I'd actually say SMT is making a well-timed resurgence with SMTV finally coming back to home consoles after almost 2 decades. SMT4 and 4A being relegated to handhelds is probably the only time we've ever "dwindled" and that's just in graphical quality as 4 and 4A both sold reasonably well.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I actually wouldn’t be opposed to this at all (He’s actually my favorite Persona period)... But...View attachment 159089

Jus’ sayin’

(Also hi Luigi the President nice seeing you bud!)
Definitely would be ecstatic to see him appear. Spent the Summer playing through this with my friends and we'd lose our collective minds if he were added as DLC or something.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Greninj wasn't really that defined when he was added to Smash 4. He only became huge when Ash-Greninja became a thing. They've already added so many new Pokeball Pokemon and the Ultrabeasts are no where to be seen yet. I think we'll get a newcomer along with a stage themed around the Ultra beasts.
An ultra beast would probably be the hypest way to do it.

Specifically Lusamine fused with Nihilego.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are we really sure we are getting a Persona representative in Smash?

Like they do have move-set potential, but they are not requested that much and they are not a character like :ultwiifittrainer: or :ultrob: either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Like they do have move-set potential, but they are not requested that much and they are not a character like :ultwiifittrainer: or :ultrob: either.
Nope, we're just discussing the potential of one.
To be fair, a Shin Megami Tensei/Persona newcomer isn't that far out of the realm of possibility. I'd think they were as requested as Simon and more then Bayonetta. Just my own opinion, though.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Except if Zelda and Mario are getting a newcomer (Skull Kid and Geno maaaaybe?).
What Zinith Zinith said
Brawl had no :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr: for Mario but had :ulttoonlink: while Smash 4 had :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr: but nobody new from Zelda
Pokémon has had a new fighter for each game so far...
Oh sorry then! That was sooooooo long ago :p
well oof to me...anywho the Pokémon series can learn to not bring out a new character every game (Fire Emblem aswell, but they don’t have Pokeballs to send their heroes to)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Personally I'd be okay with Incineroar...

But I'd be even more okay with it if Sceptile were to tag along; with that, we'd have a grand total of 3 fully evolved, entirely independent starters, all from different regions. Taking into consideration Sceptile's popularity boost in '15, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet at this point.

I'm sorry, are we not talking about this anymore?
Honestly I'm kind of burned out on starters at this point, I want them to do something else tbh

Or just not add another pokemon, that's more than fine imo

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well first off, they definitely are: just look around anywhere, the Joker support thread itself is pretty large as well.

Second off, no, I very much doubt that Joker will get in, at least in the base roster, as his game came out way after the project plan. Plus, everything's kinda overshadowed by Jack Frost the mascot.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I’m talking with my smash rival about how we’re going to play our first game once it finishes downloading in the wee hours on the 7th of Dec.

We get only the 8 characters to start, but we want to have a competitive 1v1 match, but we also felt like playing on Big Blue again would be pretty awesome.

So, we decided we’re going to start the match on Final Destination with Big Blue set for the stage morph.

From safe and simple to a chaotic mess in a matter of seconds.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I’m talking with my smash rival about how we’re going to play our first game once it finishes downloading in the wee hours on the 7th of Dec.

We get only the 8 characters to start, but we want to have a competitive 1v1 match, but we also felt like playing on Big Blue again would be pretty awesome.

So, we decided we’re going to start the match on Final Destination with Big Blue set for the stage morph.

From safe and simple to a chaotic mess in a matter of seconds.
I think it's the first 12 characters actually.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

I mean we never said we were sure but it’s fun to discuss regardless.

Also please don’t fall into the trap of Echo Chambers and vocal minorities, just cause something doesn’t seem like a big request doesn’t mean it isn’t, and I actually know a lot of people who would want a Persona or SMT character.

What Zinith Zinith said
Brawl had no :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr: for Mario but had :ulttoonlink: while Smash 4 had :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr: but nobody new from Zelda
Pokémon has had a new fighter for each game so far...

well oof to me...anywho the Pokémon series can learn to not bring out a new character every game (Fire Emblem aswell, but they don’t have Pokeballs to send their heroes to)
Agreed. But the Pokemon franchise is a marketing monster i'm pretty sure they won't be able to restrain themselves. If it's not Gen 7 it will be some Gen 1 (Pokemon Let's Go) or a future Gen 8 rep. as DLC.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
b1KePnB.jpg

It...it all makes sense now...

Last edited by a moderator:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. But the Pokemon franchise is a marketing monster i'm pretty sure they won't be able to restrain themselves. If it's not Gen 7 it will be some Gen 1 (Pokemon Let's Go) or a future Gen 8 rep. as DLC.
Have we thought of any potential pokemon echo fighters to fill the new pokemon slot?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
64: 2 Pokemon
Melee: +2 Pokemon
Brawl: +4 Pokemon
WiiU/3DS: -1 Pokemon(lost Ivy and Squirt)
Ultimate(so far): +2 Pokemon

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Where's this idea that Gamefreak or The Pokemon Company gets to pick the pokemon newcomer come from? It seemed pretty clear to me from that Greninja interview that Sakurai had a choice in the matter. He picked Greninja.

I could see Gamefreak or TPC showing him the concept art of specific pokemon they want to promote, but I really doubt he's forced to work with a single specific character of their choosing.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Where's this idea that Gamefreak or The Pokemon Company gets to pick the pokemon newcomer come from? It seemed pretty clear to me from that Greninja interview that Sakurai had a choice in the matter. He picked Greninja.

I could see Gamefreak or TPC showing him the concept art of specific pokemon they want to promote, but I really doubt he's forced to work with a single specific character of their choosing.
Idunno. Seems like another one of those arbitrary things people come up with and think it's truth.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I actually do think an SMT protagonist is the dark horse character that no one really expects when he should at least be noticed (at least more than someone like Takamaru or Ayumi Tachibana which never even got over to the Americas)
Here's all the points SMT actually has going for it:

Longstanding history with Nintendo (since 1987, same year as Final Fantasy for reference)
Instrumental in forming JRPG foundations (picking stats during level up, monster collection, monster fusion, multiple endings based on player choice, dark tones, the list goes on)
Every single game barring SMTII is localized internationally
Every single game barring SMTIII is all on a Nintendo console
Central branch of a large franchise, spawning anime, manga, mobile games
Part of an ensemble cast of iconic demons (Pixie, Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, Alice)
Great moveset potential with said demons, a sword, a gun, etc.
Steady stream of games which all sell well enough to justify a sequel.
Recent game coming out on the Switch.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say the only reason an SMT protagonist isn't requested more is simply people are more aware of Jack Frost and Persona.

Featuring Dante.png

I mean hell, how many people even know that this meme is from an SMT game and has the SMT logo on it?

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

People tend to assume these other companies force Sakurai's hand, for whatever reason. The truth is a lot less hostile and domineering: it's more of a collaboration, as Sakurai has said himself. They plan ahead, considering who will be prominent by the time the current Smash game will be hitting shelves, among other things.

Though things may be a bit more complicated this time. If the whole "fanservice" angle really is as important as some have speculated, they may have decided to wait to add a newcomer from Gen 7 until early DLC. And there's also the fact that the 'mon that's been getting the biggest push in the anime is in a form that wasn't revealed until mid-2017, a year and a half after the very first project plan came about.

Which raises questions. How far ahead would they have planned? How far ahead is the anime set up, and how early are forms for an entire generation conceptualized? Odds are, Ash's eventual Greninja being his signature 'mon in the Kalos anime was probably one thing that factored into Greninja being chosen for Smash 4...but with some really uncertain timing windows here, things get murky.

Especially when we're talking a form that many people outside the Pokémon fanbase haven't even thought to look for...

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Have we thought of any potential pokemon echo fighters to fill the new pokemon slot?
With animation changes to movesets?

Blaziken/Falcon
Wario/Squirtle Squad(I got jokes)
Venonat/Jigglypuff
Blastoise/Bowser(replace fire with water)
Hitmonchan/Little Mac
Lycanroc/Wolf
Young Link/Pawniard
Gardevoir/Zelda
Krookodile/K. Rool

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The points about Dante's voice actor does make me curious. Any substance to that bit?
I find that unlikely, as I find all VA related "leaks" or "clues."
VAs are almost always kept hush-hush and will always spin off topics that might even remotely point to their inclusion in any sort of game.

I think the one exception for the DMC cast in particular, is when one of the VAs revealed he had a role for a new unnanounced game, and the entire table just laughed at how he messed up.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Maaaaaaaaaaaaan that DMC leak is starting to make me feel some kinda way.

He had insider info, but either that guy decided to **** with everyone and sprinkle in a "oh yeah and Dante is in Smash lul" or Dante is actually in Smash.

EDIT: Unfortunately, if it is true and Dante gets into Smash, it would mean that the future support planned for MVC:I really is scrapped and the game is dead for good.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
After the Gardevoir/Gothitelle rumor, I immediately dismissed it (of course), but thought it would be an interesting idea to have a Gen 7 Pokemon, and two echos from Gen 3 and 5 based on Lucario and Greninja to "fill in" the missing generations. Not something I would think Sakurai would do, mind you. Since echoes take much less time to develop, it'd be a nice way to handle that. However, I'm less familiar with modern Pokemon, and from talking to a friend who is, there doesn't seem to be any nice echos. I'd love to hear some ideas, though.

Also, personally, I'd be happy with no Gen 7 Pokemon, as I feel like veterans are essentially treated like newcomers, owing to Sakurai's statement to not expect "too many newcomers". Around 9 (not including echoes), instead of the traditional 16-ish, and I'm not a fan of having a rep for the sake of a rep. I'm curious how many would riot if they went with an Alolan Pokemon, like Alolan Meowth. You got your Gen 7 rep, but it was still more Gen 1 "pandering". :chuckle: But as I mainly like Gen 1-2, I'm fine with whatever Sakurai decides.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Of course he's not "forced," but it's obvious how much Pokemon as a brand has weight in Nintendo, and how they regularly approach Sakurai with designs that they're pushing to be "the next big thing." It's no coincidence that there is at least one new Pokemon introduced with every Smash.

Like, I seriously doubt TPC would've been okay with Sakurai picking Dunsparce as a playable fighter the same way I doubt Sakurai would've accepted Garbador as TPC's rising star. It's a collaboration for sure, but it's one that very likely results in at least a new popular pokemon being pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom