• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's kinda funny how much Yoshi gets shafted.
I don't even think Sakurai hates Yoshi, he's just an easy character to shaft compared to everyone else, apparently.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It is fine.
No it's not.

It's not because 2 of its games sold nearly 2 millions units each that makes it magically a flagship Nintendo IP on the likes of Mario and Pokémon.

4 original fighters for a series like Fire Emblem is already generous.
+1 semi-clone is very generous.
+2 echoes and alternative designs for :ultike::ultrobinand:ultcorrin: is too generous.

Important series? Yes, but Nintendo should also be careful to not overmilk it ad nauseam, like with me and Zelda.

Now it has the chance to have a free-to-play smartphone application for promotional sake, and it's more than enough.

"Muh axe and lance user"
Well go complain to Intelligent Systems for making most of FE's protagonists sword users.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only thing enjoyable about playing with Yoshi is short hop down aerial

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
You're a few numbers off. FE has 15 "main games" and a small handful of extras and remakes.

FE1 - Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
FE2 - Gaiden (and Shadows of Valentia remake)
FE3 - New Mystery of the Emblem (and Shadow Dragon remastered)
FE4 - Genealogy of the Holy War
FE5 - Tharcia 776
FE6 - Binding Blade
FE7 - Blazing Blade
FE8 - Sacred Stones
FE9 - Path of Radiance
FE10 - Radiant Dawn
FE11 - Shadow Dragon remake
FE12 - New Mystery of the Emblem remake
FE13 - Awakening
FE14 - Fates and Conquest
FE15 - Three Houses or whatever the title will end up being
SoV would be 15
TH is 16

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
People really exaggerate Fire Emblem's popularity. For years it merely sold well enough to get new games and the one time they didn't bring a game over it nearly killed the series. The fact people think FE having 8 reps is fine while also being content with a single Xenoblade rep never ceases to baffle me.
Fire Emblem is over 28 years old, Xenoblade is "only" 8. Same thing you said about the series almost dying happened with Xenoblade, but with the series almost never living at all.

Monolith Soft's story with Nintendo is very recent and Sakurai specifically opens the Shulk miiverse post with: "He's not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series, but we worked really hard to make it happen."

There, no reason to be baffled anymore.

Staarih

Smash Master
Nintendo UK also posted footage, looks to be build up to Gamescom. New build maybe?

Also as a side note, Diddy Kong in Aces:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, the crown can become an item. That's interesting

Edit: WTF King KROOL!?!?

It better be K Rool in English

Like Dee Dee Dee from Day Day Day

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Monolith Soft's story with Nintendo is very recent and Sakurai specifically opens the Shulk miiverse post with: "He's not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series, but we worked really hard to make it happen."
This post is still really ambiguous. It could mean that Shulk's moveset took a lot of the 3DS's resources thus he barely made into the 3DS version of Smash 4.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of FE characters, I'd like to think most characters are judged on their own merits, not on "franchise reps". That's why Pokemon and Fire Emblem have so many characters - there's just so many good ones to choose from. I believe that in an interview Sakurai said he was almost concerned with adding too many FE characters, but was still convinced to add Corrin because he saw potential in him as a unique fighter. And let's face it, Dragon Fang is a stand out ability even among the Smash cast. Pretty much every single one of them has had a legitimate reason to be added, even if you don't like it.

It's especially silly to be salty about Chrom when he was an easy to implement fan-request and Roy when it was probably fan demand that brought him back from Melee in the first place, clones or not. Clearly there's a lot of people out here who like these characters, even if you personally don't. And as Marth and Roy have shown us, even people who never even touched an FE game in their life can still appreciate having them, because recognizably or "importance" isn't the only merit a character can have. Just like I can appreciate having K.Rool despite never having played the original DK trilogy or Shulk despite never having played Xenoblade 1.

Now I really don't expect any more FE outside of maybe the Black Knight as an echo fighter, but even if we do get one, can we please not act like babies about it?
Pfft, yeah, I knew that he couldn't read. I just didn't know why.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I wouldn't expect a character reveal, though i'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
Honestly a new demo build is good enough for me right now!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
On the topic of FE characters, I'd like to think most characters are judged on their own merits, not on "franchise reps". That's why Pokemon and Fire Emblem have so many characters - there's just so many good ones to choose from. I believe that in an interview Sakurai said he was almost concerned with adding too many FE characters, but was still convinced to add Corrin because he saw potential in him as a unique fighter. And let's face it, Dragon Fang is a stand out ability even among the Smash cast. Pretty much every single one of them has had a legitimate reason to be added, even if you don't like it.

It's especially silly to be salty about Chrom when he was an easy to implement fan-request and Roy when it was probably fan demand that brought him back from Melee in the first place, clones or not. Clearly there's a lot of people out here who like these characters, even if you personally don't. And as Marth and Roy have shown us, even people who never even touched an FE game in their life can still appreciate having them, because recognizably or "importance" isn't the only merit a character can have. Just like I can appreciate having K.Rool despite never having played the original DK trilogy or Shulk despite never having played Xenoblade 1.

Now I really don't expect any more FE outside of maybe the Black Knight as an echo fighter, but even if we do get one, can we please not act like babies about it? Pfft, yeah, I knew that he couldn't read. I just didn't know why.
It's funny because FE and Pokemon are the series that do get "franchise reps". Not that individuality isn't considered but often the first step is to add a new character from that series, then find the character.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

Footage. I hope i'm not late.

Awww, Brawl victory themes still... That's a shame. At least K.Rool got his own.

at the end of the king k rool vid all i hear is (KING COOL!)

for some reason the UK footage says KING K ROOL , yet the japanese video says KING COOL like wut?
Yeah in Japan K. Rool is read as one entire thing (Krool/Cruel) instead of how the we have it here. It's a pretty weird change, but it's probably so the pun makes more sense, maybe?

This post is still really ambiguous. It could mean that Shulk's moveset took a lot of the 3DS's resources thus he barely made into the 3DS version of Smash 4.
You're really stretching it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It'd be funny if Geno was revealed there since Europe has the lowest Geno support. Since the game wasn't release there until VC

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If this footage really is for a new demo build at Gamescom, I hope lots of people play Richter/Simon. I wanna see some good Belmont gameplay.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was really hoping for a Dark Samus/ Ridley victory in the first one. I wanted to see their victory animations

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's funny because FE and Pokemon are the series that do get "franchise reps". Not that individuality isn't considered but often the first step is to add a new character from that series, then find the character.
Even then, Sakurai still pays attention to a charters merits. Every non-clone fighter stands out from the roster in some significant way, and every clone was added simply because they were easy to add. Ike is probably the most "generic" of the non-clone fighters but he still stands out as being a heavyweight bruiser with disjoints. He said he added Greninja as well because of he loved its concept art.

Advertising is definitely considered when picking characters, but it's not the final determining factor. It's moveset, and I have strong feeling Sakurai would of told IS "no" to Corrin if Dragon Fang wasn't such a gosh danged unique ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom