• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
If you mean the issue about him not being in the demo, probably.
If you mean all the small shafts to Yoshi that adds up, then no
:ultyoshi: not being in the demo means absolutely nothing. The demo is a short term thing, Yoshi is going to be on the game anyway and nobody will give a damn about what was in the demo. There is no conspiracy against Yoshi, and quite frankly nobody cares.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Anyway I don't think that we're getting a character reveal here, and if we do it's probably just an echo. But it's nice to see more footage, I suppose we're going to see the Castlevania duo at some point.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
That kill with K. Rool’s cannonball sold me on playing the character, he looks so much fun to play as!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Which character is most popular in Europe of all places?

Isaac? Skull Kid?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The English version of the gameplay videos are up on Nintendo UK for those interested.

Nothing different in terms of the actual footage, but you do get to hear the English voices for the characters. In particular, Lucina is keeping Laura Bailey's voice clips from Smash 4 for those who were curious about her, and you can clearly hear Snake's new voice clips in the King K. Rool match.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The English version of the gameplay videos are up on Nintendo UK for those interested.

Nothing different in terms of the actual footage, but you do get to hear the English voices for the characters. In particular, Lucina is keeping Laura Bailey's voice clips from Smash 4 for those who were curious about her, and you can clearly hear Snake's new voice clips in the King K. Rool match.
The most important part of that Is K Rool instead of Krool

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Wait a sec, so you're telling me if I guess a bunch of predictable stuff and claim to be a leaker people will believe me as it comes true?
And I can back up my iffy guesses by saying it came from a different source if I end up being wrong?

"Some of his info was wrong, probably a bad source, rest of his leaks are legit though"

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I just watched those new gameplay videos and huh, that crown throw is really interesting. It looks like he threw it farther then in his trailer, so maybe it can be smash thrown?

Also interesting that he has to catch it on the way back or he loses the projectile for a short time. That's kind of how boomerangs work in BotW even down to the part where enemies can steal it from you if you don't catch it, so I'm kind of surprised they didn't do that for Link as well. I guess they wanted to catch the spirit of the magical boomerang trickshots you could do in the original LoZ.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Isaac? Skull Kid?
I imagine it varies a lot from country to country, the cultures are so different that people grew up with and put emphasis on a lot of different things. UK is Playstation crazy for example, so I'm pretty confident their most wanted is Crash, but in Spain they're a bit more Nintendo-oriented and I could see it being someone like Isaac. I have no idea who's the most popular here in Scandinavia as Smash isn't really a big subject of discussion, and if it is brought up I hear all sorts of varied suggestions.

Wambo

Smash Ace
at the end of the king k rool vid all i hear is (KING COOL!)

for some reason the UK footage says KING K ROOL , yet the japanese video says KING COOL like wut?
In Japan, "K.Rool" is pronounced "Curu", or something like that. I imagine the English version will be different.

EDIT: Listened to it again, actually just sounds like "K.Rool".

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
K.Rool's projectiles don't look as awful in this as they initially appeared in his reveal trailer, but it was hard to get a sense of what his neutral really is though he kinda reminded me of Charizard (certainly with the uthrow!). To be more clear, he seems fairly mobile for a heavy but reliant on some normals that seem to have some good properties but also require him to take risks to use them.

Chrom was very fast on basically every animation as far as I could tell. I didn't watch closely enough to science if he has a balanced blade like Lucina, but if he does, he could be a really good character since that would be an overall buffed Roy kit with Roy's biggest flaw (his misplaced sweetspots) dealt with favorably.

I wasn't even really watching Dark Samus, but it seems like almost an actual joke how slowly she falls from the little I caught while I was trying to watch Chrom.

It's way too late for me to rewatch several times more carefully, but I do hope we can get some good information out of these in terms of real game mechanics. This is footage of four characters we hadn't seen in real action yet.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I imagine it varies a lot from country to country, the cultures are so different that people grew up with and put emphasis on a lot of different things. UK is Playstation crazy for example, so I'm pretty confident their most wanted is Crash, but in Spain they're a bit more Nintendo-oriented and I could see it being someone like Isaac. I have no idea who's the most popular here in Scandinavia as Smash isn't really a big subject of discussion, and if it is brought up I hear all sorts of varied suggestions.
Actually Spain is not Nintendo-oriented at all, I think the most Nintendo-friendly country here in Europe is France, where these days the top selling games are almost always Switch games. Splatoon has a big big community there, too, so I suppose their most wanted were the Inklings before their confirmation. Now I see Isaac as the most wanted Nintendo character for a lot of European countries.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Chrom was very fast on basically every animation as far as I could tell. I didn't watch closely enough to science if he has a balanced blade like Lucina, but if he does, he could be a really good character since that would be an overall buffed Roy kit with Roy's biggest flaw (his misplaced sweetspots) dealt with favorably.
I thought it was really obvious just from his original trailer that his blade was balanced. Marth's and Roy's sweetspots are indicated by the trails they leave, so it'd make no sense for them to take that way from Chrom without taking out the sweetspot as well. The sound effects also sounded the same no matter which part of his sword landed as well.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
If there does end up being a newcomer announcement at Gamescom (I don't think there will be but just spitballing), I'd put my money on Rayman. He's hugely popular in Europe and is from a French development studio, so he'd make the most sense to drop there.

Demonslyer401

Smash Rookie
Diddy Kong's lack of tennis visor and polo shirt disappoint me

aside from that if it's a new demo for gamescom then that increases the chance of some smash bros info

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Actually Spain is not Nintendo-oriented at all, I think the most Nintendo-friendly country here in Europe is France, where these days the top selling games are almost always Switch games. Splatoon has a big big community there, too, so I suppose their most wanted were the Inklings before their confirmation. Now I see Isaac as the most wanted Nintendo character for a lot of European countries.
Yeah. Europe in general isn't really a big fan of Nintendo. Even during the '80 and '90 SEGA was more popular, and after they closed their console business Playstation took over.
I live in Italy, and Nintendo games are seen as kids' stuff here. The thing that makes things worse is that even when you play the same game of other consoles (like Minecraft) on a Nintendo console you are seen a kid. It's quite hard to be a Nintendo fan here.

And about characters requested for Smash, most italians here want Playstation characters like Snake, Cloud, Crash and Spyro or worse. I've never seen so many people unironically say that Goku and Sans should be added as in italian forums.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Diddy Kong's lack of tennis visor and polo shirt disappoint me

aside from that if it's a new demo for gamescom then that increases the chance of some smash bros info
Is Diddy at Gamescon? Does he have his Dixie alt?

Edit: Ooops, in Mario Tennis. Got it

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we now know King K. Rool has his own victory theme.

And his Crown Toss works kinda like how Boomerangs work in Breath of the Wild i.e. it's not magic, go and pick it up

:ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So I checked the recent footage showing and I just realized a potential fear. The way K.Rool's U-throw acts feels similar to Kirby's U-throw... which means potential Kirbycide U-throw style that he may have on some stages, like Smashville with the moving platform. Fear the Croc...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I thought it was really obvious just from his original trailer that his blade was balanced. Marth's and Roy's sweetspots are indicated by the trails they leave, so it'd make no sense for them to take that way from Chrom without taking out the sweetspot as well. The sound effects also sounded the same no matter which part of his sword landed as well.
I mean that's great. I'd seen general speculation from the initial trailer but given the 4 AM factor haven't studied the new footage in that kind of detail. All aboard the Chrom hype train! I will take Roy with a better ability to use his range and a better recovery in exchange for... what again? Worse OoS I guess? I think it's easy to forget the honestly very nice size of Roy's mobility advantage over Marth in 4; this is a fundamentally good kit that was really held back by a few things that I see no reason to believe are going to be problems for Chrom. It's exciting to see characters looking strong.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Isaac? Skull Kid?
Well Europe's got almost as many languages as 10 blocks of a US city would have Starbucks so there's massive differences of opinion.

For those that understand that Crash Bandicoot isn't owned by Sony, he's a popular choice in the UK. Rayman is also fondly remembered here where Rayman 2 is considered with almost the same reverance that Mario 64 is.

And of course, Banjo Kazzoie.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I checked the recent footage showing and I just realized a potential fear. The way K.Rool's U-throw acts feels similar to Kirby's U-throw... which means potential Kirbycide U-throw style that he may have on some stages, like Smashville with the moving platform. Fear the Croc...
A petty part of me really hopes it isn't a kill throw outside of really situational conditions so that he doesn't end up stealing Zard's thunder. But part of me also wants to see K.Rool players, as fellow heavyweight mains, experience the same satisfaction of getting that perfect grab right underneath Battlefield's middle platform.

...Will I even be able to fairly call myself a heavyweight main in Smash Ultimate? I kind of feel conflicted now.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think there'll be any newcomers announced but if it's a new demo we're seeming then we need to keep an eye on new characters (in the purest sense and in the "new to demo" sense).

D

Deleted member

And thus we still don't know if :ultdarksamus:'s down-smash has been changed to her phazon-barrier move or not.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Wait a sec, so you're telling me if I guess a bunch of predictable stuff and claim to be a leaker people will believe me as it comes true?
And I can back up my iffy guesses by saying it came from a different source if I end up being wrong?

"Some of his info was wrong, probably a bad source, rest of his leaks are legit though"
Speaking of leaks inb4 the Gardevoir/Gothitelle leaker datamines more characters in this build :colorful:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if we include not Nintendo characters we have a lot of possibilities here in Europe: Crash and Spyro, obviously, and even Lara Croft, they all are really big around here. I've even seen a lot of GTA suggestions too, as GTA and FIFA are the two biggest franchises in many countries, like UK, Spain and Italy.
Rayman, too, especially in France... and the Rabbids for that matter. Kingdom Hearts has a lot of popularity too, so I suppose a lot of people would want Sora.

But if we talk only about Nintendo characters, I suppose that the biggest candidates are Waluigi (Mario is loved everywhere), any Pokémon rep, Isaac, and maybe Skull Kid? Ocarina of Time was a very popular game back then, but I'm not so sure about Majora's Mask. Definitely not Geno, as Super Mario RPG is not a well-known game in Europe and here he doesn't have that nostalgia feeling around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom