• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If Sega does get another character, Shadow's cool and all, but if it were up to me...Puyo Puyo and NiGHTS characters all the way. Even if I'm predicting Shadow, he ain't necessarily who I want, ha ha.

Also, if Capcom gets another character, can I get Amaterasu, please? It'd be a nice alternative to Wolf Link and Midna...Which isn't happening...Ever...

*Sigh* Assist Trophies are the worst, man...

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
What are you crazy kids talking about now, more leaks?
Is verg trustworthy? Is is safe to bet on Incineroar, Isabelle, and Ken?
While I personally refuse to trust any leaks unless they're ESRB-tier backed up, Verg seems the most trustworthy out of the bunch.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
No, I've been tipped off by an anonymous playtester that Ayumi, Incineroar, Geno, Isabelle, Shadow, and Ken are all in. The same guy was saying Richter would be a clone of Simon a month ago. I just didn't mention it because I thought he was joking. I swear this is real and I'm not lying just for some internet points.

But Internet Points are the most valuable of valueless points.

I'm surprised they didn't leak Funky, Ayumi, Ken and Ekans (as part of a Team Rocket Trainer), or Lana, Isaac, Exdeath and Sora.

D

Deleted member

Assist Trophies are great, because depending on the character, it's either great to see them in the game at all, or it killed their chances of being playable.

It's just kind of funny to me.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
Leaks don't matter. This is probably the only time in our lives that you'll be able to guess what Nintendo is doing by just looking at online forums.

It's a common refrain: voices on the internet are just a vocal minority. But with Ultimate, Sakurai is listening specifically to those people!

Just go to your favorite online forum, and look at 2015. There you go! That's the pool of potential newcomers!

Skull Kid, Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Bandana Dee. They're likely because people think they're likely (and have thought so for a few years). These characters have had constant support online, and support that dates back far enough (unlike Rex & Pyra, Doom Slayer, etc). Characters like Simon, K. Rool, and Ridley were absolutely in the same space. BK is the most out there of the remaining group, but Microsoft & Nintendo are on good terms, as they occupy opposite ends of the gaming market. Phil talked about Banjo for Smash at just the right time to be actually making a deal with Sakurai.

There you go buckaroos! No more need for leaks!

blazefan519

Smash Ace
If Sega does get another character, Shadow's cool and all, but if it were up to me...Puyo Puyo and NiGHTS characters all the way. Even if I'm predicting Shadow, he ain't necessarily who I want, ha ha.

Also, if Capcom gets another character, can I get Amaterasu, please? It'd be a nice alternative to Wolf Link and Midna...Which isn't happening...Ever...

I've always wanted Arle to get in as a Sega rep. The only reason I say Shadow is likely is because of Echo Sonic, I'd prefer literally any other Sonic character honestly kek.

D

Deleted member

But Internet Points are the most valuable of valueless points.

I'm surprised they didn't leak Funky, Ayumi, Ken and Ekans (as part of a Team Rocket Trainer), or Lana, Isaac, Exdeath and Sora.
Lana, Sora, and Exdeath are not in, Ekans is DLC, Funky is an assist trophy, Isaac is a sticker (oh yeah, stickers are back lol forget to mention) and they did leak Ayumi/Ken. They're playable I swear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Leaks don't matter. This is probably the only time in our lives that you'll be able to guess what Nintendo is doing by just looking at online forums.

It's a common refrain: voices on the internet are just a vocal minority. But with Ultimate, Sakurai is listening specifically to those people!

Just go to your favorite online forum, and look at 2015. There you go! That's the pool of potential newcomers!

Skull Kid, Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Bandana Dee. They're likely because people think they're likely (and have thought so for a few years). These characters have had constant support online, and support that dates back far enough (unlike Rex & Pyra, Doom Slayer, etc). Characters like Simon, K. Rool, and Ridley were absolutely in the same space. BK is the most out there of the remaining group, but Microsoft & Nintendo are on good terms, as they occupy opposite ends of the gaming market. Phil talked about Banjo for Smash at just the right time to be actually making a deal with Sakurai.

But what if some of us *ahem* wanna know if we get a new Pokemon?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The disappointment pf seeing Assist Trophies ces from the fact speculation is a case of Schrodinger's Cat to us, in that a character is both playable and not until we see them. But the reality is that Assist characters wouldn't even be in the game were they not assists, not being an Assist isn't the same as being playable.

D

Deleted member

Assist Trophies are great, because depending on the character, it's either great to see them in the game at all, or it killed their chances of being playable.

It's just kind of funny to me.
I'm definitely that way for some of them, but for the ones that I personally feel had a real shot at being cool, playable characters, it does bum me out to see them as an AT. Mainly because it's kinda like a no-hope status to me, as I personally don't think Sakurai would make a character playable and a summon. Not even for DLC, unfortunately.

Darkraid

Smash Champion

Phoenix wright as capcom rep for me

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm definitely that way for some of them, but for the ones that I personally feel had a real shot at being cool, playable characters, it does bum me out to see them as an AT. Mainly because it's kinda like a no-hope status to me, as I personally don't think Sakurai would make a character playable and a summon. Not even for DLC, unfortunately.
This.
For some characters it's great to see them, but for others it means you'll never get to play them.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So on the subject of bosses, if Super Mario Odyssey were to get a boss to represent it, what do you think it would be? I personally would have to guess it being Madame Broode or possibly the Mechawiggler.​

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The disappointment pf seeing Assist Trophies ces from the fact speculation is a case of Schrodinger's Cat to us, in that a character is both playable and not until we see them. But the reality is that Assist characters wouldn't even be in the game were they not assists, not being an Assist isn't the same as being playable.
This is one of the reasons why I hope the MVC1 assist thing is true cause then we still get to have them by our side even if they aren't playable

KMDP

Smash Legend
For the Brits, 11;00 AM PDT is 7:00 PM BST.

So, Smashboards will be down for maintenance (presumably) for two hours in about 15 minutes, huh?

Nice to have a warning.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
So on the subject of bosses, if Super Mario Odyssey were to get a boss to represent it, what do you think it would be? I personally would have to guess it being Madame Broode or possibly the Mechawiggler.​
Maybe the T Rex, or the Mechabroodal.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

I actually agree with this. Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Isaac, Geno, and Bandana Dee were all heavily requested during and before this 2015 ballot and roster selection. The first 4 are usually grouped together as the most unlikely characters to get into smash (back during the Brawl days at least, though Isaac wasn't really counted due to being an assist trophy) and now the first 2 are confirmed. Skull Kid has been requested for a long time but only recently did he get the bandwagon desire to be in the game (however, he has been pretty popular so its worth noting that he probably is on their minds).

With the first 2 being in the game already, all in all these remaining 5 just seem like the most likely to me. We have so far only got Simon as an out of place character, the other 6 newcomers so far have been heavily requested fighters for the game SINCE 2015 in the least.

I'd rather believe in any number of these 5 characters making it than any leak (unless its ESRB level) can give us right now.

THESE ARE the safe picks. There is nothing safer right now, especially if the last reveals are anything to by.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
For the Brits, 11;00 AM PDT is 7:00 PM BST.

So, Smashboards will be down for maintenance (presumably) for two hours in about 15 minutes, huh?

Nice to have a warning.
Ouch. Looks like that means I have to spend two hours in a responsible manner.​

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I could maybe see Cockitiel as that made an appearance in Captain Toad on Switch.
Wait!! There’s a rumor of Marvel vs Capcom Assist trophy??? O.O
I believe she's referring to assist trophies having a mode similar to how assists work in MvCI and other fighting games where you can summon them and they do an attack. Not an assist from that series.

Last edited:

ImajinForSmash

Smash Rookie
Opossum Opossum

Welp, I guess I’ll have to keep this username then. This account is officially now a joke account. I’ll keep on advocating for Imajin in Smash for as long there are Smash games being made.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I feel like we are going to get at least complete suprise charcter that no one saw coming or at least one that is very retro

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait!! There’s a rumor of Marvel vs Capcom Assist trophy??? O.O
My bad, I worded it wrong, the rumour is that Assist Trophies can be manually summoned in battle to help you like in Marvel VS Capcom 1, where the assists weren't playable characters. Arthur would throw Javelins, and Thor would shoot lightning. This is before both of them were made playable in sequels of course. You had a limited amount of assist summons per match iirc too

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I could maybe see Cockitiel as that made an appearance in Captain Toad on Switch.

I believe she's referring to assist trophies having a mode similar to how assists work in MvCI and other fighting games where you can summon them and they do an attack. Not an assist from that series.
Don’t they already attack your opponent and as well another AT? But, you might be right. Maybe I missed read that xD

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
welp it's debunked

can't say i expected any different, I think there's no way anything is actually gonna get leaked anytime soon now. Nintendo apparently learned to keep things under control.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
My bad, I worded it wrong, the rumour is that Assist Trophies can be manually summoned in battle to help you like in Marvel VS Capcom 1, where the assists weren't playable characters. Arthur would throw Javelins, and Thor would shoot lightning. This is before both of them were made playable in sequels of course. You had a limited amount of assist summons per match iirc too
Oh ok! For a moment I thought now we’re going to get rumors of Marvel characters coming to Smash xD

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
welp it's debunked

can't say i expected any different, I think there's no way anything is actually gonna get leaked anytime soon now. Nintendo apparently learned to keep things under control.
Assuming that image was passed off as a leaked render of Shadow, I'd wonder how anybody bought into that. No way they'd allow something like that to be a fighter render. I mean, yeah, it's good, but it's not nearly the same quality as the rest of the renders.​

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
@ The Alax/"Smash Oracle" leak. I don't wanna believe it, but that AT Summon mode seems likely, don't wanna comment on roster (Although Sakurai could say the only new character is Geno and I still call nice on that front). But they did seem to catch something with that roy footage no one else did.

Also yeah it's hard as balls to explain the concept of mvc/pokken style assists to people for some reason. I had to explain someone it like 3 times and they only got it when I sent them a video of cubone being summoned in pokken.

EDIT: Yall Know BWD Also has a Parasol right, not just a spear.

KBR_Bandana_Waddle_Dee.png

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I feel like we are going to get at least complete suprise charcter that no one saw coming or at least one that is very retro
We already got Ridley/K. Rool/Simon Belmont/Richter Belmont as "retro characters" (they are all from 1987-1993 respectively).

We're almost flat out of "retro" characters from the NES/SNES era. The only ones that matter I can think of are Crono from Chrono Trigger, Geno from Super Mario RPG, Ken from Street Fighter and Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Country.

That's how deep the retro lineup of Smash is ATM.

The only real retro choices left that make sense are from the Game Boy/N64/PS1 era seem to be Banjo & Kazooie, Rayman, Heihachi Mishima (or his son Kazuya or grandson Jin) from Tekken, Crash Bandicoot (sorry Spyro the Dragon fans), Paper Mario, Black Shadow from F-Zero X, Impa from Ocarina of Time, and Skull Kid from Majora's Mask.

ATM the only "totally unexpected character" is Crono... which sadly isn't happening.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Don’t they already attack your opponent and as well another AT? But, you might be right. Maybe I missed read that xD
I'm talking about how they work in other fighting games, like MvCI, DBFz, or BlazBlue
welp it's debunked

Oh so it is a Nibroc render then. I guess the crappy quality got in the way of noticing whoops.

D

Deleted member

welp it's debunked

That's actually a pretty good render. If he makes it in, I wouldn't mind if he looked something like that.

Honestly, if nothing happens by late October, nothing's gonna happen at all regarding leaks IMO. We're kinda too late in the game now, I think. The only thing that might happen is if someone gets an early copy in November, but even then it won't matter because we're gonna see the design for every fighter before release. I personally don't think they're gonna wait that long to show what's left off, so yeah, I think we might just go unspoiled this go around. Exciting stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom