• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Ill never understand why people want Bandana Dee for Smash. He’s like the least interesting choice ever
He's adorable and I love him. That is all. Also he uses a Spear and a Parasol. Peach has a Parasol but no one uses spears in Smash would could be interesting.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm talking about how they work in other fighting games, like MvCI, DBFz, or BlazBlue

Oh so it is a Nibroc render then. I guess the crappy quality got in the way of noticing whoops.
Yeah the crappy quality is always the trick since you can't tell the real quality otherwise. At least it's better than the crappy one they made for Skull kid days ago with that stupid snake, lol

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I feel like we are going to get at least complete suprise charcter that no one saw coming or at least one that is very retro
Oh of course. ( just personally think that people should never dismiss Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee now. They probably have the highest chances of joining now if we go by our newest reveals.

Nobody EVER expected Ridley and K. Rool. Nobody. So many people dismissed them as characters that were too big (Ridley) or too obscure (K. Rool) to join.

If I had to guess overall likelyhood, I'd put them in 3 tiers:

Tier 1: Bandana Dee and Skull Kid - 2 Popular characters from existing series (Kirby and Zelda) who have not received a newcomer since Brawl.

Tier 2: Geno and Isaac- The remaining 2 of the fated 4 (Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac and Geno were probably the most talked about characters during Brawl and Smash 4's speculation days) and are extremely popular. K. Rool proved obscurity doesn't matter either, so this bumped up their chances.

Tier 3: Banjo- Like Geno and Isaac, also heavily requested but is a 3rd party character owned by Microsoft (a competitor) so is less likely. However, Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship the past few years has been great so I wouldn't ever count him out.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Lana, Sora, and Exdeath are not in, Ekans is DLC, Funky is an assist trophy, Isaac is a sticker (oh yeah, stickers are back lol forget to mention) and they did leak Ayumi/Ken. They're playable I swear.
Hmm... What about...

Linkle
Infernape
Axel
Raiden
Leaks don't matter. This is probably the only time in our lives that you'll be able to guess what Nintendo is doing by just looking at online forums.

It's a common refrain: voices on the internet are just a vocal minority. But with Ultimate, Sakurai is listening specifically to those people!

Just go to your favorite online forum, and look at 2015. There you go! That's the pool of potential newcomers!

Skull Kid, Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Bandana Dee. They're likely because people think they're likely (and have thought so for a few years). These characters have had constant support online, and support that dates back far enough (unlike Rex & Pyra, Doom Slayer, etc). Characters like Simon, K. Rool, and Ridley were absolutely in the same space. BK is the most out there of the remaining group, but Microsoft & Nintendo are on good terms, as they occupy opposite ends of the gaming market. Phil talked about Banjo for Smash at just the right time to be actually making a deal with Sakurai.

There you go buckaroos! No more need for leaks!
The thing about Skull Kid is that his support has been particularly mild until very, very recently. Case in point, the Skull Kid thread for Smash 4 only has 6 Pages (216 Replies), the Brawl one had 1000 Replies.

I'm not going to claim to know how he did in the Ballot, but he's not among the group you listed (Isaac, Banjo, Geno and BWD).

With that, see you guys in two hours, I guess?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On the topic of Assists, I hope Gardevoir is shown soon, one way or another...

Preferably one way over the other but either is better than not at all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I had the fourth Smash Bros dream I ever had last night, and second one for Ultimate.

Basically I was asked by Sakurai to pick an Assist Trophy, but it specifically had to be a paladin from Fire Emblem. Dream!Me went with Berkut (if it were Real!Me I'd have gone with either him or Jagen). So if Berkut is an assist, blame Dream!Me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Never compare any supporting to character to Luigi unless it's Ken or Tails.

They simply don't belong in the same class.
What about Waluigi in the quartet of him, Wario, MArio and Luigi?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He's the 4th main character of Kirby, it'd be like having Mario, Peach, Bowser, and no Luigi.
I'm sorry, but what?

I mean I'm not gonna knock Bandana Dee here when I say this because it's true.

He is nowhere near as important as Luigi. Nowhere near.

I just needed to compare the main casts of series, maybe a more apt comparison is Link, Ganondorf, and no Zelda?
Still no.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Cool, we left off on and returned to a Bandanna Waddle Dee relevancy debate.

Huzzah!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bandanna Dee is the player 4 of the Kirby series.
Not having him is like having Mario, Luigi, Peach, but no blue toad.

Oh wait.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
People who rag on Bandana Dee clearly haven't played recent Kirby games. If you think he's just a random enemy with a bandana/spear, you are severely wrong. He'd be the next character they'd add from the Kirby series

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bandanna Dee is the player 4 of the Kirby series.
Not having him is like having Mario, Luigi, Peach, but no blue toad.

Oh wait.
What are you talking about? Blue Toad's the hottest newcomer! He even brought along a Princess for no extra charge :ultdaisy:
But yeah, the game hasn't felt right ever since DDD lost his Waddle Dee toss. It was like, his best move.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What are you talking about? Blue Toad's the hottest newcomer! He even brought along a Princess for no extra charge :ultdaisy:
But yeah, the game hasn't felt right ever since DDD lost his Waddle Dee toss. It was like, his best move.
Just replace the gordos with Dees but keep everything else the same.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Old Toss Attack, 70% chance for Adorable Bullet sponge, 20% chance for somewhat freaky sponge with laser, 10% for super powerful projectile.
New Toss: The old powerful projectile turned into a serious health hazard to DDD.

You don't have to kneecap your children to show you don't have bias Sakurai.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I had the fourth Smash Bros dream I ever had last night, and second one for Ultimate.

Basically I was asked by Sakurai to pick an Assist Trophy, but it specifically had to be a paladin from Fire Emblem. Dream!Me went with Berkut (if it were Real!Me I'd have gone with either him or Jagen). So if Berkut is an assist, blame Dream!Me.
Not Stahl? Dream you has no culture
I'm sorry, but what?

I mean I'm not gonna knock Bandana Dee here when I say this because it's true.

He is nowhere near as important as Luigi. Nowhere near.

Still no.
Obviously Luigi is more import than Bandana Dee, but that's not what I meant. But Bandana Dee is a key part of his series, so it's a little weird him not being here. And I used a metaphor people would get.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Bandanna Dee is like the 4th Kirby character that would be added.

However, Dee isn’t that important in the series often settling for a filler 4th slot. It’s really only been Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede and then the main villain of set game. And a lot of games recently has Dee in the background or be absent.

Well until Kirby Star Allies, but that came too late and even then it was only an extra that allowed you to play as the RTD cast.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think 4 is the ideal number of characters for most series with a set cast (Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy rotate so they end up with lots of MCs).

It just feels right to me, you know.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Bandanna Dee is like the 4th Kirby character that would be added.

However, Dee isn’t that important in the series often settling for a filler 4th slot. It’s really only been Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede and then the main villain of set game. And a lot of games recently has Dee in the background or be absent.

Well until Kirby Star Allies, but that came too late.
Not really. Bandana Dee has been in every single main Kirby game since Return to DreamLand, even in some where Dedede and Meta Knight themself didn't appear, like Rainbow Curse. And Waddle Dee has been a popular part of the franchise since installment. Just take a look at the immense amount of merchandise he gets from figures, plushies and pins just to name a few.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All this talk of wether a minion type character is worthy just makes me more sad that Paper Mario abandoned that side of it's structure.

Real talk, I liked seeing the species of the Mushroom Kingdom living together, felt like they were people with hopes and dream instead of obstacles.

Then they made the entire cast Toads.

I'm fairly certain Modern Paper Mario is a toad wearing a fake moustache and Modern Paper Bowser is 20 of them glued together.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Yeah, no Dee would be like having no Toad.

But honestly, imo Dee isn't near Toad's importance to the Mario series.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Toads has his own game series. He's also the sole protagonist of Wario's Woods.

Has Waddle Dee has his own series?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Nah, my source says that game never existed, but Ice Climbers: Uprising and a new F-Zero are on the way
Will Ice Climbers be converted to a FP-Climbing game?

And really, when has Nintendo ever cared for FZero fans like me?

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
If Sega does get another character, Shadow's cool and all, but if it were up to me...Puyo Puyo and NiGHTS characters all the way. Even if I'm predicting Shadow, he ain't necessarily who I want, ha ha.

Also, if Capcom gets another character, can I get Amaterasu, please? It'd be a nice alternative to Wolf Link and Midna...Which isn't happening...Ever...

*Sigh* Assist Trophies are the worst, man...
A PP character may be possible given it's popularity, but Nights? Never in a million years.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’ve played the last few Kirby titles and still don’t think Bandanna Dee is as much of “the hottest new character” like a lot of people are making him out to be.

I previously said it (like 100 pages ago at this point) but Bandanna Dee is, like Ashley and Mimikyu were, characters that I think are given way too much likelihood. Thing is, a lot of people are afraid to say differently from the majority because they get more or less well...shot down.

Like hey, if you like the character that’s great. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to actively support Bandanna Dee, and if you support him I hope you get what you’d like to see.

However, there’s quite the difference in outlook on the character if some are considering him on par with a major character from a major series like Mario or Zelda. He isn’t close to Luigi. He’s probably even further from Zelda, the princess who the series is named after.

He’s the Player 4 character. In Mario games with a similar formula to Kirby, the Player 4 is typically a Toad, whether it’s a blue one or the traditional red one. If you want to look at an equivalent standout character, then you could maybe look at Captain Toad? Then again, Captain Toad has a game of his own but never was a P4 character.

I don’t know, I really just think Bandanna Dee is considered a “likely” pick because of how bad people want him and not because he actually stands out. I could be wrong, but even after playing games he stars in over the last few years, I don’t get why people think he’s this dude who absolutely needs to be in Smash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hm. That's a fun opinion.
It's less opinion more fact on a perspective of games.
Toad has Wario's Woods, his own subseries with Captain Toad, I think there's another one that I'm forgetting here
Waddle Dee has nothing. Zip, Zilch. Zero.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
People who rag on Bandana Dee clearly haven't played recent Kirby games. If you think he's just a random enemy with a bandana/spear, you are severely wrong. He'd be the next character they'd add from the Kirby series
Dark Metaknight or Galaxia could come with him as Metaknight Echoes too for some more Kirby in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom