• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh.....

So it was a bull**** move on Sakurai then...
Tbf, R.O.B doesn’t have that much to live off of after killing his people
You misunderstand. I think Ken is really likely, which is why I've been paying attention to just how often he's left out of "leaks" and predictions. He's the least common "safe" echo choice by far. Which is to say, Ken isn't widely considered safe, even if some of use have thought he is. Sticking Ridley on a leak this is not.
Tbh, Shadow and Ken are some the most likely echoes in Smash Ultimate (Isabelle and Dixie are among the most likely echoes squad )
The following are likely not safe at all, especially considering what happened to Ashley.
  1. Isabelle
  2. Skull Kid
  3. Kat & Ana
Skull Kid is definitely not in the unsafe zone

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Ken would probably have his usual slight differences with Ryu that evolved past the first couple of games.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
inb4 Ken popping up in every new “leak” on 4chan now
I'm surprised he wasn't on more before this. Ken is a popular SF character and was clone of ryu originally, Having him be an Echo fighter seems like an easy connection to make.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I've seen Hilda and possibly Black Knight less often than Ken. And they're pretty viable now as echoes.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Orange Star Trio is Goku, Piccolo, and Vegeta ofc

Also Verge says its fake and that Banjo and Kazooie have no chance in Smash
Verge hasn't said anything about Banjo so far, unless you have a source that says otherwise (I've checked to the best of my ability)... Assuming his leaks are right (a big if to assume), he mentioned Minecraft content in Smash, and it's highly unlikely Sakurai would go to Microsoft to put in Minecraft without trying to secure the rights for Banjo (unless it came too late in the development cycle, which still leaves room for DLC).

Oh, I know Ken isn't as safe as people assume.

But as someone who likes Street Fighter, I just REALLY want Ken.
Why do you think he's not a safe bet?

I'm pretty sure adding him would be no big deal for Sakurai's team. Echo fighters are probably less of a pain to create. Plus he's the original echo fighter! (not really an argument here...)

Or he could just be one of Ryu's alt skin :p

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
The whole unsafe debacle kinda reminds me of the weird Limbo state the F-Zero franchise is in for new Reps. If literally anybody else other than Black Shadow got in we'd see the whole thought process behind the picks for F-Zero. Would they pick Pico over Deathborn or Deathborn over Pico. It's kind of a weird showcase of what influences these picks to be honest. I mean, there's a bit of bias towards prevalence than popularity in Smash 4, but then again K.Rool and Ridley got in this game...

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I've seen Hilda and possibly Black Knight less often than Ken. And they're pretty viable now as echoes.
While i would be ecstatic at a Black Knight echo, I don't really see him as very likely. Yeah he was a mii costume, but I think Chrom was probably the last FE fighter we'll get before any potential DLC. people are already (unfairly IMO) angry at so many FE characters so I don't think it's particularly likely. :(

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Wait, what's this about Dante hints?
These are pretty hard to say as hints but the dante trailer was posted before Rathalos was revealed as a boss. It makes so much sense that Lucina would be fighting it over Grima because the Rathalos was confirmed to be in Smash and Dante has MH ties. But here is:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
These are pretty hard to say as hints but the dante trailer was posted before Rathalos was revealed as a boss. It makes so much sense that Lucina would be fighting it over Grima because the Rathalos was confirmed to be in Smash and Dante has MH ties. But here is:
What makes me most skeptical out of all this is Lady as an AT. Vergil exists after all

Shroob

Sup?
But yeah.

Ken is a character I legitamitely wanted, but never was confident enough to believe in until Richter.

He is THE original Echo Fighter more or less.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Belmonts even got more love than the first party newcomers.

Edit: Is Smashboards moving slow for anyone else?
Sakurai confirmed for making the next Castlevania.

All jokes aside, I wouldn't mind if he was the one to cover the Battle of 1999.

This reminds me of Simon's drastic design changes . . .

Why did he get them in the first place? Can any Castlevania experts here explain that?
The only one that's odd to me is the Judgement one. Who is it that thought "Let's get Takeshi Obata to draw Castlevania, he knows gothic style", even though he wouldn't draw the characters to look recognizable?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I just hope that if Banjo-Kazooie is in, they use the original N64 design and not the Xbox design. Rare design looks better than Microsoft redesign.

They used the original designs for Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Simon Belmont in Smash, why not Banjo-Kazooie too?

And it would be awesome if they used the original N64 design for Conker Assist Trophy.
I would be ecstatic if Conker was an assist trophy and pulled out his chainsaw to chase people down.

Iridium

Smash Hero
You'll get there someday. I feel like i pulled my 30s the other day, right in the 30s and it keeps me down waiting for my 30s to heal.
Seriously though, I could be the youngest person here, and nobody would have thought so.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Honestly speaking though I think Banjo and Kazooie is a candidate a lot of people have been sleeping on. With the addition of :ultkrool: it's clear now this game is taking inspiration from fan requests, and they were one of the most requested third parties back in the Brawl days and especially the ballot. Can't really think of any third party who was equally as requested other than Rayman and maybe Shadow.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
This reminds me of Simon's drastic design changes . . .

Why did he get them in the first place? Can any Castlevania experts here explain that?
Because Konami's producers and art directors thought the future was beautiful anime people and not macho men.

Anyway, Ken probably wouldn't make much sense as an easy mode Ryu, and he would need a pass on a lot of different moves to be faithful. IIRC he does not use Ryu's forward smash, forward tilt, up air, down throw (which belongs to E.Ryu but whatever) or the Shin Shoryuken. His focus attack would also need a new animation as Ken's is a kick that has farther reach than Ryu's. In addition, Ken's specials, while similar in appearance to Ryu's, have different properties ala Ness and Lucas.

This is assuming of course that they want to make Ken as true to his SF appearances as they made Ryu.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly speaking though I think Banjo and Kazooie is a candidate a lot of people have been sleeping on. With the addition of :ultkrool: it's clear now this game is taking inspiration from fan requests, and they were one of the most requested third parties back in the Brawl days and especially the ballot. Can't really think of any third party who was equally as requested other than Rayman and maybe Shadow.
There's a problem. BK are owned by a competitor (Microsoft).

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Ken is... sorta of a safe pick.

I mean he is literally the original clone character. I had some thoughts about how he would fight so there’s definitely some sense. You can easily have some slight changes to some of normals like his forward air being his Heavy Kick, forward tilt being his axe kick that he can reuse from Ryu’s up throw. Finally you have your obvious Fiery Triple Shoryuken Hit, Multi Hitting Hurricane Kick, weaker Hadoken. His differences are practically made for being an echo fighter.

But it’s all up to Capcom and if Nintendo would want to license two of the biggest Fighting game characters with the amount of third party stuff they have to license. I know Castlevania has an echo with Richter, but Konami is in a much more desperate state than Capcom right now.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai confirmed for making the next Castlevania.

All jokes aside, I wouldn't mind if he was the one to cover the Battle of 1999.

The only one that's odd to me is the Judgement one. Who is it that thought "Let's get Takeshi Obata to draw Castlevania, he knows gothic style", even though he wouldn't draw the characters to look recognizable?
"Alright mister Obata, we're happy to have you on here, we'll also need an Eric Lecarde design"
"Done"
"This is a small child, Eric is a grown man"
"I said done"

D

Deleted member

I'll admit that I haven't seen every character in that game, but I despise every single design I've seen from the game so far.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Microsoft has already come out and said that they'd be willing to let Nintendo add Banjo in the game, and both Microsoft and Nintendo have been buddy-buddy as of late.
They've only done that with Minecraft, a game that was already multiplatform to begin with.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Ken is... sorta of a safe pick.

I mean he is literally the original clone character. I had some thoughts about how he would fight so there’s definitely some sense. You can easily have some slight changes to some of normals like his forward air being his Heavy Kick, forward tilt being his axe kick that he can reuse from Ryu’s up throw. Finally you have your obvious Fiery Triple Shoryuken Hit, Multi Hitting Hurricane Kick, weaker Hadoken. His differences are practically made for being an echo fighter.

But it’s all up to Capcom and if Nintendo would want to license two of the biggest Fighting game characters with the amount of third party stuff they have to license. I know Castlevania has an echo with Richter, but Konami is in a much more desperate state than Capcom right now.
Ken was already a trophy in smash 4 though when there was no requirement to do so, I don't see why it would be an issue

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Who isn't a safe pick? This is a serious question, who's been suggested but not really a safe option?

- Ayumi
- Mach Rider
- Pretty much any NES character at this point
- Captain Rainbow
- Chrono
- any SEGA character that isn't from Sonic

yeah that's all i got
Here's muh picks

- ray
- Saki from Sin and Punishment.
-Mike Jones
- That guy from Crystalis that I can't remember the name to.
- Chibi-Robo
- The NES console itself.
- Shigeru Miyamoto as a fighter.
- Some stupid anime pick or whatever
- Electroplankton
- A Rythem Heaven character.
- A Wave Racer.
- And Devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom