• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
But yeah.

Ken is a character I legitamitely wanted, but never was confident enough to believe in until Richter.
He is THE original Echo Fighter more or less.
Too bad he isn’t the ultimate lifeform...cause Shadow will be the better and edgier echo while Ken will look like his SFV form (Ew)

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Have you talked to ShinyLegendary at all? And he isn't even the youngest here...
Exactly - the range of ages round these parts kinda shows that my old man's childhood is fighting against yours and others, and that's the beauty of Smash!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Microsoft has already come out and said that they'd be willing to let Nintendo add Banjo in Smash, and both Microsoft and Nintendo have been buddy-buddy as of late.
Phil...or Microsoft...which is it really

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Can you link this? You said Microsoft, not Phil Spencer, meaning this is a bigger deal should it be true and not misworded
No need. It's still solely Phil Spencer's opinion. He's not speaking for the company, just how he feels. He still feels that way, which is understandable.

Plus, we did get a Banjo costume in MInecraft Switch along with the Halo Mash-Up Pack. More or less it shows that isn't a big deal to have Banjo show up in general in Smash if Sakurai and Nintendo are willing to license it. It doesn't mean they'd be playable, though. As that's a different thing. But considering the ballot, I think B&K have a decent chance. I'd still expect Minecraft content regardless due to its gaming legacy.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I fully believe that tails and shadow are getting in. Tails will be unique though

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I still don't see an official statement from microsoft proving to make banjo's chances any more difficult. So until i see something like that officially, i will keep my high hopes for him.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Too bad he isn’t the ultimate lifeform...cause Shadow will be the better and edgier echo while Ken will look like his SFV form (Ew)
I could see both Shadow & Ken appearing.
I could also see Sakurai pulling what he did with Pac-Man in 3DS/Wii U and saying original design or not at all.

For that matter though, Ken could have both his Street Fighter V and Street Fighter IV designs.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I could also see Sakurai pulling what he did with Pac-Man in 3DS/Wii U and saying original design or not at all.

For that matter though, Ken could have both his Street Fighter V and Street Fighter IV designs.
His trophy in smash 4 was the classic design and I'm assuming that was an original model, no reason they wouldn't just go with that one

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Besides, Sakurai willing to get :ultsnake: (and :ultsimon::ultrichter: as well) from Konami of all companies shows that characters can get in regardless of circumstance if requested enough.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I still don't see an official statement from microsoft proving to make banjo's chances any more difficult. So until i see something like that officially, i will keep my high hopes for him.
I have a suspicion that Phil would have said the same thing about a handful of other Microsoft IPs if given the question, and not just Banjo.

Troykv

Smash Master
Who isn't a safe pick? This is a serious question, who's been suggested but not really a safe option?

- Ayumi
- Mach Rider
- Pretty much any NES character at this point
- Captain Rainbow
- Chrono
- any SEGA character that isn't from Sonic

yeah that's all i got
Wait... suggested in which kind of context? For Smash Bros Ultimate?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While Phil Spencer is the one who said it could be possible, I think Nintendo would be a bigger blockade than Microsoft--it's free advertising for Microsoft, whether it's Minecraft in the game or Banjo. So long as Phil could convince their bosses they'll make money, I see no issue from Microsoft's side. It's not like it's an IP they care much about anyways.

Both Phil and Sakurai carry a lot of clout when it comes to making a deal within their respective companies. It's not impossible, it's also not likely, but well within the realm of possibilities.

No need. It's still solely Phil Spencer's opinion. He's not speaking for the company, just how he feels. He still feels that way, which is understandable.

Plus, we did get a Banjo costume in MInecraft Switch along with the Halo Mash-Up Pack. More or less it shows that isn't a big deal to have Banjo show up in general in Smash if Sakurai and Nintendo are willing to license it. It doesn't mean they'd be playable, though. As that's a different thing. But considering the ballot, I think B&K have a decent chance. I'd still expect Minecraft content regardless due to its gaming legacy.
I think in terms of priorities, I think Sakurai would prioritize Banjo's legacy with Nintendo over Minecraft's legacy with gaming. I think people take Sakurai's statement on Cloud's legacy too literally--he wasn't referring broadly to third party characters when saying Cloud's impact was a decisive factor. It's still a celebration of Nintendo despite having guest characters. Banjo's legacy with Nintendo would also be decisive for Sakurai, if he wanted to go to those lengths to get Banjo in. I don't think it's a case of one over the other though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But can Master Chief "Guh-huh!"? I didn't think so.
But can Banjo have a sick ass OST and its own lightsaber?

IMO I would love Master Chief in far more than Banjo.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Besides, Sakurai willing to get :ultsnake: (and :ultsimon::ultrichter: as well) from Konami of all companies shows that characters can get in regardless of circumstance if requested enough.
Sakurai clearly is a man able to move contacts and make things happen, and he has a great reputation of doing justice to the characters (Cloud being a good example of it too). Anyone who doubts this man at this point are simply falling in pessimism. He's proven to be able to deal with difficult characters already (Cloud will still be a great example of that, no matter how tired people are of hearing it).

Can’t wait for Verge to say “Tails isn’t in these leaks, don’t believe them”.
Is it weird i really want tails over any other sonic inclusion now? He was always my favorite, even more than sonic himself.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
She's not alone though. Could be Agent 47 from Hitman or heck, Gex the freakin Gecko. He referenced either Donkey Kong or Mario in either Enter the Gecko or Deep Cover Gecko. Can't remember which one.
Agent 47 and Gex I don’t see happening
he will probably have a better face than his SFV designs lol
Hopefully

I see both appearing as echoes as well...I’m just saying Shadow is better

Noipoi

Howdy!
Boshi certainly isn't a safe pick, but I think I've made my case well enough...
Boshi is in that realm of characters who normally have like -0 zero chances, but because of the advent of echo fighters there's a chance he could mooch off of Geno's inclusion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think in terms of priorities, I think Sakurai would prioritize Banjo's legacy with Nintendo over Minecraft's legacy with gaming. I think people take Sakurai's statement on Cloud's legacy too literally--he wasn't referring broadly to third party characters when saying Cloud's impact was a decisive factor. It's still a celebration of Nintendo despite having guest characters. Banjo's legacy with Nintendo would also be decisive for Sakurai, if he wanted to go to those lengths to get Banjo in. I don't think it's a case of one over the other though.
No, what Sakurai is saying is he wants gaming legacy more than Nintendo legacy. That's the point he was making with Cloud. He wants people to realize that this whole "ties to Nintendo" thing isn't important to 3rd parties in general.

Banjo's only legit chance is through the ballot because his popularity actually gives him something worth noting. Bayonetta is literally the only one that had something close to a Nintendo legacy when chosen, as the ballot, from what information we have among the datamining, was irrelevant to her choice. Banjo at least has the ballot going for him.

And the whole idea that Phil wouldn't answer that way for other characters is silly. It's just a PR statement to show he likes the idea of working with Nintendo in general. Which lo and behold, is what happened over the years anyway. Yes, he would've replied the same if it was someone like Fulgore, Conker, a Battletoad, etc.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Boshi is in that realm of characters who normally have like -0 zero chances, but because of the advent of echo fighters there's a chance he could mooch off of Geno's inclusion.
Not only do I think that, but if Boshi ever gets in they will make DAMN sure to remind you that is the reason...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai never really prioritized legacy with Nintendo, otherwise 3rd parties would be a lot more scarce than you'd believe. Any Microsoft big name is just as likely as Banjo IMHO, whether it be Fulgore, the Chief, Rash, or the king of them all, Herobrine Steve. I'd even argue that Steve is one of Banjo's biggest challenges, because if you compare nostalgia bux Banjo to popular on every continent Steve, you see what I believe is the grand epitome of Relevancy and Popularity VS Nostalgia and Popularity come face to face.

hell if i had a mic and good audio set ups i'd make a ****in documentary about how real the struggle is

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****, Ken!?!?!?!?! I mean, I was expecting him for a while now, but Vergeben really just said that Ken is in the game. My head is spinning right now.

Ghouls

Smash Rookie
Sakurai never really prioritized legacy with Nintendo, otherwise 3rd parties would be a lot more scarce than you'd believe. Any Microsoft big name is just as likely as Banjo IMHO, whether it be Fulgore, the Chief, Rash, or the king of them all, Herobrine Steve. I'd even argue that Steve is one of Banjo's biggest challenges, because if you compare nostalgia bux Banjo to popular on every continent Steve, you see what I believe is the grand epitome of Relevancy and Popularity VS Nostalgia and Popularity come face to face.

hell if i had a mic and good audio set ups i'd make a ****in documentary about how real the struggle is
I guess if one of them got in you could be sure the other one would come as DLC. I reckon Minecraft's only getting a stage anyway rather than playable Steve - though I know there's some debate on whether we've seen all the stages.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I would love to see Banjo in Smash, but you know what my biggest fear about their inclusion would be?
It would be if Banjo and Kazooie used realistic bear and bird noises, kind of like how K. Rool uses realistic crocodile noises.
At least with K. Rool it makes him more intimidating, but it would be weird to hear Banjo do realistic bear noises.
Do you guys find this a possibility?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know it's not happening and its very sad to hear; but let me dream the impossible in peace. Even Lara's iconic nature isn't on Sakurai's priority, even if she's now on Square Enix's side.
I’ll force Square Enix to allow it

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see Banjo in Smash, but you know what my biggest fear about their inclusion would be?
It would be if Banjo and Kazooie used realistic bear and bird noises, kind of like how K. Rool uses realistic crocodile noises.
At least with K. Rool it makes him more intimidating, but it would be weird to hear Banjo do realistic bear noises.
Do you guys find this a possibility?
I was thinking about it too; I'm unsure if that was the case. Their voices are so iconic enough that they wouldn't ever replace them with realistic animal noises. Unless they're voices are matured to make them not sound annoyingly cheerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom