• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Alright, looks like we're talking about it here.

Been playing since Blue in 98'. Gold is my favorite game because of all the stuff it added. The designs were unique, but most of the designs were single stage Mons (such as Dunsparce & Heracross) and continuations of old lines (baby Mons and Kingdra for example). I do think Platinum is the best game overall, though. And I appreciate the new take on Pokemon from Sun/Moon.

As far as Go, many feel they were lied to when they said main series. And they feel they took a step back when things like abilities and other advancements disappeared. I argue that is is a main series game because it still has everything except wild Pokemon battles.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unova was obliterated by fans when it released, it deserves some time in the spotlight.
1494152115276.jpg

You know I'm gonna have to do it to 'em if you use that type of language.

As far as Go, many feel they were lied to when they said main series. And they feel they took a step back when things like abilities and other advancements disappeared. I argue that is is a main series game because it still has everything except wild Pokemon battles.
Go is so obviously a spinoff trying to act like a main series it's not even funny. If it was main series, it'd be Gen 1.5.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Inb4 they pull the rug out from under you and diddy's new final smash just features Dixie and that's the only way she's in the game
Honestly you can say that about any character in the game at this point. You could say that since Falcon's final Smash isn't shown off, that pretty much any F-Zero Character can be disconfirmed/confirmed. Though seeing people actually racing alongside Falcon would be cool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Huh, I just realized we haven't seen Diddy's Final Smash yet.

I am now sincerely hoping it's this, because I love DK64 to pieces, lol. Only DK game I've played so far and I 100% it! (Pro tip: Don't 100% DK 64. It's not worth the cost of your sanity.)

Oh, and I'm still hoping for Dixie. C'mon Sakurai, if Metroid can get an Echo, surely DK can!
I 101% the game

COMPLETLEY worth it as I beat the game within 3 days
I beat the entire game as a kid, AND got to see the (cancelled) Dolphin/Gamecube entry auditions.

Daisy and the other human females in the Mario series are always thicc...but not as thicc as Wario

Once the differences hit you, everything just comes crashing down as you wonder...how the **** does Sakurai and crew manage to continuously make these characters look so amazing (even comparing 64 and Melee or Melee and Brawl you see a big difference without HD, then you got Ultimate which destroys everything with its beauty). They can manage to make a realistic soldier fit with Nintendo and a space dragon look hella realistic, both to perfection. Just wow
Years of experience, they've come a long way since the days when everyone could blend in Super Mario 64.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Noipoi means that Daisy has gotten a wider midsection since MT Aces, to differentiate her design even further from Peach (whether it's muscle or fat is up to personal interpretation).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
View attachment 158513

You know I'm gonna have to do it to 'em if you use that type of language.

Go is so obviously a spinoff trying to act like a main series it's not even funny. If it was main series, it'd be Gen 1.5.
Breh you say that like Game Freak didn't actively **** on Gen V "Wow, all new Pokemon giving a sense of freshness!" Then the next game they remove that. "Wow, Mega evolutions! They're to help make unpopular pokemon a bit more popular! Also you're only getting Audino"

osby

Smash Obsessed
I am spanish and "Bowsy" is the only changed name that I like, I dunno, I always thought it was more cute than "Bowser Jr."
I'm not Spanish buuut... I like Rosalina and Luma's Spanish names better than English ones.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Years of experience, they've come a long way since the days when everyone could blend in Super Mario 64.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Noipoi means that Daisy has gotten a wider midsection since MT Aces, to differentiate her design even further from Peach (whether it's muscle or fat is up to personal interpretation).
Experience can be the best thing sometimes

Also...Daisy always thicc no matter what

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Far as Pokémon generations go, in the context of Smash it usually matters more which generation will be relevant at the time of release rather than which "deserves" more attention. Be wary of any would-be leaks who stick in characters to give certain generations "more representation", as they're playing off what a lot of fans assume Sakurai's thought process must be, not what it actually is.

Though the way they're handling echo fighters does complicate things more than usual, but even those haven't been used just to give a franchise "more reps" so far.

Gen 5 is my personal favorite, but it's also in a situation where none of its most prominent 'mons work as echoes. Short of like...Mienshao as a Lucario echo, but that'd require so much of a stretch that I wouldn't put any faith in it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Far as Pokémon generations go, in the context of Smash it usually matters more which generation will be relevant at the time of release rather than which "deserves" more attention. Be wary of any would-be leaks who stick in characters to give certain generations "more representation", as they're playing off what a lot of fans assume Sakurai's thought process must be, not what it actually is.

Though the way they're handling echo fighters does complicate things more than usual, but even those haven't been used just to give a franchise "more reps" so far.

Gen 5 is my personal favorite, but it's also in a situation where none of its most prominent 'mons work as echoes. Short of like...Mienshao as a Lucario echo, but that'd require so much of a stretch that I wouldn't put any faith in it.
But didn't you hear? Gardevoir's getting in with a Gothitelle echo! Some guy claimed to steal a demo and he also datamined it and they're both on the list. He got Richter right so it must be legit.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I know what you mean, but i'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy Unova entering the "This gen was amazing!" nostalgia cycle.
Unova was obliterated by fans when it released, it deserves some time in the spotlight.
If I had to ignore my nostalgia then White is my favorite games in the series, so I agree. I was super pessimistic going into it, but I ended up absolutely loving it, I liked that it focused so much on a very relevant narrative and had it take center stage, and unlike most I actually really appreciated there only being Gen 5 Pokémon in the main game as it did wonders at introducing them and had me form an opinion on most of them.

I had to stand up for it a lot when it just released, so it's nice that the opinion on it is already shifting slowly, nostalgia or not.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Where are still in the Gardevoir leak talk? Or what are you talking about now?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Breh you say that like Game Freak didn't actively **** on Gen V "Wow, all new Pokemon giving a sense of freshness!" Then the next game they remove that. "Wow, Mega evolutions! They're to help make unpopular pokemon a bit more popular! Also you're only getting Audino"
And then they move on to Z-Moves and just try to bear with Mega Evolutions existing becuase there was no going back. Your point?

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Spain sometimes uses different translations.

https://www.smashbros.com/es_LA/fighter/index.html

He's still Pit Sombrío here though...
Yep, I'm from Spain, latin americans and spanish (Spain) have a very different way to use the language. Latin americans often stick more to the English names or versions, or similars. We here, opt to translate to proper spanish vocabulary.
When you add a "y" at the end of a name, it usually means it's the child of somebody, or a little version, hence Bowser Jr. was localized here as Bowsy. Dark Pit and Dark Samus just have two different synonims of Dark in spanish. Robin and Rosalina & Luma are localized here. Same would happen with Isaac from Golden Sun and Isabelle, here they are called Hans and Canela, respectively. And Rey means King.

D

Deleted member

Same would happen with Isaac from Golden Sun and Isabelle, here they are called Hans and Canela, respectively. And Rey means King.
I think I'd actively support Isaac despite having never played Golden Sun if his name was Hans in the US and if he had his beard design.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And then they move on to Z-Moves and just try to bear with Mega Evolutions existing becuase there was no going back. Your point?
That's EXACTLY my point. The whole point for Megas was to give some less popular Pokemon another time to shine and all Gen V got was Audino before Game Freak threw the baby out with the water again

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don't personally agree on that. Only Gen 6 Pokmon I don't like are Slurpuff & Volcanion.
Meanwhile Volcanion is my favorite legendary/mythical Pokémon. :p

Honestly he'd be pretty neat to have in Smash too, haha.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
loz18 is back. He's looking for an artist.
Why would he need an artist?

Also anybody else hoping for more WarioWare Songs? Here are some songs from WarioWare that i'd like to see in Smash, Remixed and/or Original.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I think I'd actively support Isaac despite having never played Golden Sun if his name was Hans in the US and if he had his beard design.
Thank god at least we decided not to localize Pokemon names, because I know neighbour countries like France or Germany did, and it would be a pain in the muscle memory to discuss Pokemon with you guys if we did as well lmao.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even outside of Gen V, there aren't many Pokemon who could work as an Echo without feeling like a "Okay, but why?" choice.

If Sakurai can make an Echo out of a recent and/or relatively popular Pokemon, I'd be all for it. Otherwise, I really don't want a random addition like Gothitelle just so we can get an Echo out of an existing character for the heck of it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why would he need an artist?

Also anybody else hoping for more WarioWare Songs? Here are some songs from WarioWare that i'd like to see in Smash, Remixed and/or Original.

Everyone knows we need more Ashley remixes...and Wario Land just because

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
If I had to ignore my nostalgia then White is my favorite games in the series, so I agree. I was super pessimistic going into it, but I ended up absolutely loving it, I liked that it focused so much on a very relevant narrative and had it take center stage, and unlike most I actually really appreciated there only being Gen 5 Pokémon in the main game as it did wonders at introducing them and had me form an opinion on most of them.

I had to stand up for it a lot when it just released, so it's nice that the opinion on it is already shifting slowly, nostalgia or not.
Yeah it was a nice effort to make only the gen 5's available at the start, but I think that alienated the older fans a bit. Imho White and Black 2 were better gameplay wise, with the earlier gens intermixed and some fun new ideas, while the first games had the story going for it . I think the games would be hated on less if the pokemon distribution had been like the sequels.

(+ W2B2 were such great pokemon sequels, they made the slight changes made in Sun/Moon 2 very dissapointing)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Overall, Mega Evolutions were actually a really popular addition. There was an outspoken portion of the competitive community who didn't like them, but even among smogonites there's a lot of people who wree glad they gave old favorites like the Kanto starters a second chance at viability.

Z-moves, on the other hand, would be million times better if there was just some way to skip the animations. It's nice that pretty much any Gen 7 pokemon has a Final Smash prebuilt for them, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The demo unit leak was always a little silly to me. Like, they claimed they datamined a demo unit that they were setting up. Since I highly doubt that those things have cartridges in them, that would mean they would have had to steal the demo unit. Unsupervised, and completely undetected by other staff. They then somehow datamine it without anyone noticing, find an Echo but not the main character they're based off of, and I guess the demo then has a kill code in it that caused it to conveniently delete itself before they could take video or photo evidence.

Yeah, it's pretty silly.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Noivern and Sylveon make up for any bad design in gen 6 (looking at you Barbaracle).
Lol, Barbaracle is one of my favorite from that gen.
Meanwhile Volcanion is my favorite legendary/mythical Pokémon. :p
Honestly he'd be pretty neat to have in Smash too, haha.
I just find the Arm/cannon on the back weird. I like it conceptually but it's execution ends up feeling a little "unnatural".

D

Deleted member

Gen 5 is by far my favorite and I feel like one of the few that really likes the whole "only new Pokemon" available before the E4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom