• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
21st it looks like
Don't know when nintendo's starts.
Monday to Friday iirc. Imma be there for Wednesday/Thursday personally
Alright thanks!

I want to see if Nintendo is going to release the update that has been datamined before, not the one with Shulk and the new rare blade, but there was another update with
Elma as an enemy/unlockable Blade.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Trends can be broken. I won't be surprised if we get no new Pokemon. Also, I do not think that Gen 8 will be for the hardcore fans. That will be a sales disaster.
Gamefreak says it will be for the hardcore fans
"it won't be for the hardcore fans"

Why would they lie? It won't be "Competitive battling: the game", but just like Let's Go! Pikachu and Eevee have features more tailored for the casual audience, Gen 8 will have features more tailored for hardcore veteran players. Casual and hardcore players can enjoy both, it won't be a sales disaster.
I really don't know why you think it would be. It's Pokemon, they can't fail.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I was quite surprised that they didn't make Dark Pit or Lucina somewhat more different when patches was thing. I thought for example they could have made Lucina have slightly more run speed or etc. Instead they just constantly buffed her damage lol.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Gamefreak says it will be for the hardcore fans
"it won't be for the hardcore fans"

Why would they lie? It won't be "Competitive battling: the game", but just like Let's Go! Pikachu and Eevee have features more tailored for the casual audience, Gen 8 will have features more tailored for hardcore veteran players. Casual and hardcore players can enjoy both, it won't be a sales disaster.
I really don't know why you think it would be. It's Pokemon, they can't fail.
Does Pokemon run off of quality games or do they run off nostalgia bux?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Most of the newcomers this time around are going to be heavily requested characters. I don't think that any Pokemon is highly requested like Ridley, K. Rool, or Geno.
At what point in time have any of the nine Pokemon we have in Smash been heavily requested? The only character who could fit this bill is Mewtwo when he ranked first in that poll to decide the Melee newcomers, but even then Sakurai had already planned to add him in the original Smash.

Point is, popularity has almost never played a part in who Sakurai chooses. Relevancy, promotional material, and the anime is usually what gets a Pokemon in Smash.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm not totally sure we're getting a Pokemon but I think the series is massive enough that it can be the exception to the rule of the "fan favorites" theme.

I don't see us getting any Pokemon newcomer that isn't from SM, at least.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
At what point in time have any of the nine Pokemon we have in Smash been heavily requested? The only character who could fit this bill is Mewtwo when he ranked first in that poll to decide the Melee newcomers, but even then Sakurai had already planned to add him in the original Smash.

Point is, popularity has almost never played a part in who Sakurai chooses. Relevancy, promotional material, and the anime is usually what gets a Pokemon in Smash.
Lucario was pretty popular, not at the top of the pack, but still had a very solid following. I do agree though, Pokémon are very obviously chosen based on promotional potential, Lucario just happened to be popular at the same time due to being used in said promotional material.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pokemon is just popular. Period.
The problem with Smash is that requests are all split up because there are over 800 of the little ****ers. To think Pokemom didm't do well on the ballot is silly, no single Pokemon will beat Ridley but all the votes for put together Pokemon are up high. It'd be just like Cloud, FF was heavily requested but there wasn't one single FF character that ranked that high so Sakurai went with the most popular out of them. If we get a non-Gen 7 Pokemon, this will likely be the factor that will determine who it is.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Gen 1 started it all and boasts what are my favorite remakes in FRLG. It also has my fav remixes (I especially love the Lake of Rage theme, it's amazingly done).
I prefer vanilla GSC to HGSS, mostly due to music remixes being a mixed bag (to me) as well as the "chosen one!" narrative in the remakes.
Gen 3 brought us the prettiest region in Hoenn. The area between Mauville and Lilycove is my favorite in the series. Emerald also let you fight both bad teams and introduced the best Battle Frontier.
DP gets a bad rap due to running exceptionally slow and having such a limited pool of available Mons. Most Gym Leaders and Elite Four members don't even have teams that share a typing (Flint is a good example). Those issues were fixed with Platinum, which introduced such a good selection of Pokemon and gave us the Distortion World as well.
BW is probably the most bold game made by Gamefreak due to the all-new Pokemon and impressive story. BW2 had a less impressive story and offered a lot of cool changes, such as new availability of really cool Pokemon and revamped gyms (I think confronting Elesa on the runway is my favorite moment in the entire series).
XY is fairly ho-hum compared to other entries. It was oversaturated with too many Pokemon and too many locations, to the extent where a city with a giant crystal becomes unmemorable imo. At least it gave us Mega Evolutions (which I think should've stayed there imo), easier breeding mechanics and the Boutique music.
Gen 7 gave a different take by switching out Gym Leaders for Trial Captains (with their respective trials), Totem Pokemon and Kahunas. It also gave us a fantastic cast of characters, including Kukui, the lovable Team Skull, Guzma and Lusamine (the undisputed best villain in all Pokemon).

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Right now it's nostalgia bux, but nothing's stopping them from making a quality game.
The president of the Pokemon company specifically said next year's game will make long time players say "this is what i've always wanted."
They've never said something like this before.
Sure it could be PR speak, but when the president of the company say it's made just for fans like me and it'll be what i've always wanted it gives me a little hope.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Right now it's nostalgia bux, but nothing's stopping them from making a quality game.
The president of the Pokemon company specifically said next year's game will make long time players say "this is what iv'e always wanted."
They've never said something like this before.
Sure it could be PR speak, but when the president of the company say it's made just for fans like me and it'll be what iv'e always wanted it gives me a little hope.
Ah, I see.
Can't wait for Pokemon Ultimate in 2020.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Most of the newcomers this time around are going to be heavily requested characters. I don't think that any Pokemon is highly requested like Ridley, K. Rool, or Geno.
Fan request are nice, but I hope Sakurai will allow himself to put in at least one newcomer that he wants.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They can still be grouped together since they're the same region.
Johto and Sinnoh are definitely not the same regions, the remake was just in the same generation as Sinnoh's.

Fan request are nice, but I hope Sakurai will allow himself to put in at least one newcomer that he wants.
Geno is conveniently both. Win-win scenario.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ah, I see.
Can't wait for Pokemon Ultimate in 2020.
Honestly, considering the Switch's track record of
Mario Odyssey
Zelda Breath of the Wild
and
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
I could see Pokemon's first home console generation in 2019 being Pokemon Ultimate.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Ya know, something that could correlate with the leaker's claims and still fit in with a new fighter would be something akin to a Pokemon Trainer echo called Alolan Pokemon Trainer. I feel like Rowlet -> Brionne -> Incineroar would be the most likely combination to use that wouldn't include Decidueye and would explain the confusion and vague nature of their claims.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Honestly, considering the Switch's track record of
Mario Odyssey
Zelda Breath of the Wild
and
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
I could see Pokemon's first home console generation in 2019 being Pokemon Ultimate.
I don't know if I'm comfortable with the home console Pokemon yet. Here's the thing about it:

Two Pokemon games on handhelds roughly equals to about 1 + 1/3 of a home console game. Two Pokemon games on a console is like, 120 buckaroos plus tax. Do people really wanna pay that much if they intend on doing the same business plan of "release one version then release an updated version one year later"? Well, I guess Let's Go is testing those waters.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I never said Johto and Sinnoh were the same region. HGSS is considered part of the gen 4 group of games since it came out with the DPPt engine.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Nostalgia helped Pokemon GO but nostalgia hasn't sold preorders for LGPE and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were outsold by Yo-kai Watch 2, so nostalgia isn't everything

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't know if I'm comfortable with the home console Pokemon yet. Here's the thing about it:

Two Pokemon games on handhelds roughly equals to about 1 + 1/3 of a home console game. Two Pokemon games on a console is like, 120 buckaroos plus tax. Do people really wanna pay that much if they intend on doing the same business plan of "release one version then release an updated version one year later"? Well, I guess Let's Go is testing those waters.
I mean i've sold my soul to Gamefreak so i'll buy it, especially if it's as good as they're hyping it up to be.
But only time will tell if people are cool with paying 300 dollars for both versions+both remakes+the third version.
Some madman definitely will though.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nostalgia helped Pokemon GO but nostalgia hasn't sold preorders for LGPE and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were outsold by Yo-kai Watch 2, so nostalgia isn't everything
Yo-Kai Watch 4 (I think it's 4?) looks like it'll be big competition against Let's Go, even if it's late to the party. YKW4 is taking big risks and redesigns while Let's Go is just pandering to nostlagia. I'm not saying the latter is a bad thing, but it's definitely gonna drive off some people and lead them to the road of Yokai.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Something something, lol crashboards, something something, slowboards, something.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled internet crisis.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I haven't had a chance to get on since last week when we were discussing the photo that Sakurai tweeted that looked similar to golden sun battles. Anything new or noteworthy happen?

D

Deleted member

I haven't had a chance to get on since last week when we were discussing the photo that Sakurai tweeted that looked similar to golden sun battles. Anything new or noteworthy happen?
Some guy stole a demo build and Gardevoir is confirmed 100% now. List had Richter so you know it's legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom