• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The demo unit leak was always a little silly to me. Like, they claimed they datamined a demo unit that they were setting up. Since I highly doubt that those things have cartridges in them, that would mean they would have had to steal the demo unit. Unsupervised, and completely undetected by other staff. They then somehow datamine it without anyone noticing, find an Echo but not the main character they're based off of, and I guess the demo then has a kill code in it that caused it to conveniently delete itself before they could take video or photo evidence.

Yeah, it's pretty silly.
But there's possible explinations for all of those things! Because its possible, that means it isn't at all suspicious and we should trust it!

/s

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Cooking Mama would be a great WTF character, though putting her in before/instead of other 3rd parties might enrage people...
In some ways, yes.

We mostly have true legacy third parties. Bayonetta is the only "Nintendo relationship third party."
As much as I want to see some other legacy characters (Lara Croft, Crash, Scorpion, Steve), it could be nice to expand on the ones based on relationship (Banjo and Kazooie, Cooking Mama, Layton).

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee debuting a brand new Pokemon? I'm wondering how long Gamefreak have been working on it. The new Pokemon could be the newcomer. Other than that a Gen7 seems like the most probable since Gen7 started in 2016 and they would have shared those pokemon in 2015 I think.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Isn't Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee debuting a brand new Pokemon? I'm wondering how long Gamefreak have been working on it. The new Pokemon could be the newcomer. Other than that a Gen7 seems like the most probable since Gen7 started in 2016 and they would have shared those pokemon in 2015 I think.
I don't know about the new Pokemon specifically, but Gamefreak started development in late 2016 after they realized they could cash in on the Pokemon Go craze. As opposed to Gen 8, which started development in 2015.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I really doubt they had its final design ready when Ultimate's project plan was formed. If its getting in at all, it'll be as DLC to advertise Gen 8.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
It'll be really odd when it's Unova's turn given just how hated it was, but at least the games might finally get their due credit then, even if it's because of nostalgia.
There is Unova's hate? i feel that most of the hate was from people that didn't played the games and though that non animal pokemon and clothed pokemon were stupid unlike gen 1 (ohh the irony)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know about the new Pokemon specifically, but Gamefreak started development in late 2016 after they realized they could cash in on the Pokemon Go craze. As opposed to Gen 8, which started development in 2015.
How do you know when Gen 8 started development?

Noipoi

Howdy!
There is Unova's hate? i feel that most of the hate was from people that didn't played the games and though that non animal pokemon and clothed pokemon were stupid unlike gen 1 (ohh the irony)
It's calmed down a bit now, but Gen 5 was the peak of "Old Pokemon were better!". It was probably a result of only Unova Pokemon being available, people were pissed they couldn't use Charizard again.

I really doubt they had its final design ready when Ultimate's project plan was formed. If its getting in at all, it'll be as DLC to advertise Gen 8.
Whether we get a Gen 7 Pokemon or not I am 100% expecting a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
It's calmed down a bit now, but Gen 5 was the peak of "Old Pokemon were better!". It was probably a result of only Unova Pokemon being available, people were pissed they couldn't use Charizard again.
But you could only use Charizard in the Kanto games...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
"I don't want filthy anime characters tainting muh pure smash game"
Dragon Ball is literally my favorite media franchise full stop.

I don't want the pandora's box of non-video game characters opened. Third parties is pushing it already. There's no going back if we let Goku in.

Noipoi

Howdy!
How do you know when Gen 8 started development?
I work at Gamefreak.
It's an estimate based on what we know.
Gamefreak always starts developing a new generation right before the newest generation releases.
Sun and Moon came out in late 2016, so it stands to reason they were at least working on concepts for Gen 8 in 2015.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
This is was brought up pages ago. If you find anything Loz related that’s new to YOU that probably means it was talked about here already.
What about his uh account on another site? Did anybody find out what he was talking about?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Gen 5 was more of a shock since all the Pokemon were entirely new, and you didn't have any familiar picks to fall back on.
That's the gist of it, yeah.

For someone who's getting a Pokemon game for the first time, it's great. For someone hoping for some familiarity, you now have to relearn what every single Pokemon does with no familiar team members to fall back on. In theory it should be exciting, but I think a lot of older Pokemon players are playing more for nostalgia and easy gameplay than a legitimate challenge.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Gen 5 was more of a shock since all the Pokemon were entirely new, and you didn't have any familiar picks to fall back on.
If someone didn't immediately get over that shock they first looked at a Krookodile, a Reuniclus, A Darmqanitan, or a Hydreigon they need to reevaluate their lives. Though I guess I might be a bit biased because I started with Black and White.
I don't think that we are getting any new Pokemon reps this time around.
I think we are. Alola's already been so represented in this game why not give us a fighter too? It seems like a no-brainer too me.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's been 6 years and none of Pokemon's recent games can hold a candle to Black/White 2.

D

Deleted member

I don't get the "shock" thing, we all bad to start playing Pokemon once and seeing a bunch of **** we have no idea of who they were. Then again, I knew of all the new Pokemon except Maractus as I followed the prerelease but that's besides the point.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If someone didn't immediately get over that shock they first looked at a Krookodile, a Reuniclus, A Darmqanitan, or a Hydreigon they need to reevaluate their lives. Though I guess I might be a bit biased because I started with Black and White.

I think we are. Alola's already been so represented in this game why not give us a fighter too? It seems like a no-brainer too me.
Most of the newcomers this time around are going to be heavily requested characters. I don't think that any Pokemon is highly requested like Ridley, K. Rool, or Geno.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really enjoyed Sun and Moon, but Black/White 2 and Heartgold/Soulsilver are among the best Pokemon games content wise.
Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 are the holy grail of Pokemon games. I fear the series peaked during the DS.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt it was a challenge thing. It's still just Pokemon. It was entirely missing the nostalgia picks + disliking new designs.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Most of the newcomers this time around are going to be heavily requested characters. I don't think that any Pokemon is highly requested like Ridley, K. Rool, or Geno.
Yeah most of the Newcomers. Emphasis on most. If Gamefreak wanted it and Sakurai agreed he could squeeze in a Gen 7 Pokemon no problem.
Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 are the holy grail of Pokemon games. I fear the series peaked during the DS.
If Gamefreak is to be believed Gen 8 is meant specifically for hardcore veteran players who've been with the series for a while and it might hearken back to the DS era content wise.
Nothings confirmed of course but it's something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Cooking Mama would be a great WTF character, though putting her in before/instead of other 3rd parties might enrage people...
I don't like the term "WTF character" and prefer to call them Unconventional fighters. It's something I really love about Smash. They turn things that are not normally seen as action heroes and then turn them into fighters. I welcome them with open arms. However, I think they shouldn't do that with 3rd parties since there is typically only a few that get chosen and there are hundreds of 3rd party all-stars still out there.

Meanwhile Nintendo, has exhausted most of their own all-stars. So putting in some more unique choices from Nintendo's massive library are welcome. Especially if they bring a unique moveset or theme with them.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah most of the Newcomers. Emphasis on most. If Gamefreak wanted it and Sakurai agreed he could squeeze in a Gen 7 Pokemon no problem.

If Gamefreak is to be believed Gen 8 is meant specifically for hardcore veteran players who've been with the series for a while and it might hearken back to the DS era content wise.
Nothings confirmed of course but it's something to keep in mind.
Pokemon is also bringing back 3 cut veterans from previous installments. Sakurai might see a new fighter as too much work for one series.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Pokemon is also bringing back 3 cut veterans from previous installments. Sakurai might see a new fighter as too much work for one series.
I thought this was done to death before. I doubt that honestly.

But we generally don’t know what the man thinks, nor do you.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sakurai might also think a Gen 7 Pokemon would be an interesting fighter. We don't know the man's thought process.
I admit it could not happen, but I see no real reason for it not to.
If Sakurai doesn't wanna do it then whatever, I don't care that much, but I think we're getting a Pokemon newcomer. Just like all previous Smash games.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I admit it could not happen, but I see no real for it not to.
If Sakurai doesn't wanna do it then whatever, I don't care that much, but I think we're getting a Pokemon newcomer. Just like all previous Smash games.
Trends can be broken. I won't be surprised if we get no new Pokemon. Also, I do not think that Gen 8 will be for the hardcore fans. That will be a sales disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom