• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
For all we know, Birdo might be this game's WTF in terms of expected Mario characters.

>two different terms for "Dark" are used for Dark Pit and Dark Samus
>Rosalina's name is completely different
>Luchador Mii
The 'dark' term got an explanation with Pitoo. Normally you use 'oscuro' for dark but if you say 'Pit Oscuro' sounds like 'Dark ****' in spanish.
In Smash Spain they use the previous translations in the games. K. Rool always had 'King'. It depends of who translated the original games, some of them are in spanish, others no.

D

Deleted member

You know guys, we've yet to see Diddy's Final Smash. I do wonder if he and Dixie are going to share the same Final Smash with a guitar?

Huh, I just realized we haven't seen Diddy's Final Smash yet.

I am now sincerely hoping it's this, because I love DK64 to pieces, lol. Only DK game I've played so far and I 100% it! (Pro tip: Don't 100% DK 64. It's not worth the cost of your sanity.)

Oh, and I'm still hoping for Dixie. C'mon Sakurai, if Metroid can get an Echo, surely DK can!

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
"BUT WHY WOULD WE MAKE A GOOD GAME WHEN WE COULD GET THAT SWEET, SWEET POKEMON GO MONEY???"-Gamefreak 2018
I'm only getting it for that new Pokemon, and i'm not gonna enjoy it.
Same here. I'm just gonna play it until I can get that new Pokémon and then never touch it again... except to transfer the new Pokémon

D

Deleted member

Out of all the gen 5 Pokemon the leak could've chosen....
But y'know, it's obviously real because it mentioned Richter (even though they claimed Simon wasn't in), which means that the other leak that mentioned him is real too. Shame King K. Rool is an assist trophy...

Last edited by a moderator:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I'm optimistic about Go, even though I know a LOT of people who aren't, for in depth reasons that aren't really worth establishing a whole thang on this thread (it's its own can of worms).

Edit: Since so many here seem spurred by Pokemon discussion, is there sonewhere else for us to take it? Or is here fine?

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Also, bland and uninspired? Come off it. Kanto is the blandest in story, character, region, and Pokemon design. Even Trubbish is better than Muk.
Imo, Johto has the actual blandest Pokemon design. Over half it's pokemon feels like designs that just weren't good enough for Kanto.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's kind of sad. Pokemon Firered is what got me into the Pokemon craze as a kid, and it's still pretty much my favorite franchise to this day even if I don't play it competitively anymore. Yet somehow Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee isn't exciting to me at all. It's an HD pokemon game that let's partner pokemon follow you, brings along a predecessor to the pokewalker, and let's you ride around the map screen on the back of a freaking Charizard or Onix. Yet all the other changes they're making to the game are just too off putting to me. Ivysaur's and Squirtle's return in Ultimate alone is just far more exciting to me. And with Let's Go releasing so close to December anyway, I think this might be the first mainline game I skip out on in a really long time.
I feel exactly the same, I'm not a Genwunner by any means, but Pokémon Red was by far the most important game of my childhood and remains my favorite game in the series because of how important it's been to me (read: nostalgia), I've played through it so many times and still do so on occasions that I can come up with a fun challenge, yet Let's Go just doesn't do anything for me. I know it's being aimed at new players, and as such a completely different demographic than me, but I'm still so disappointed with how it's turning out, no wild Pokémon battles is just bizarre and the handholding looks like it's been cranked up to 11.

After having played the series through every single generation it'll be the first main series game I'm not buying, which is something I really didn't imagine would happen with a remake of Gen 1 of all things. Spyro being delayed to the same month means I'll still have more than enough entertainment to hold me off until Ultimate anyways.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

I am now sincerely hoping it's this, because I love DK64 to pieces, lol. Only DK game I've played so far and I 100% it! (Pro tip: Don't 100% DK 64. It's not worth the cost of your sanity.)

Oh, and I'm still hoping for Dixie. C'mon Sakurai, if Metroid can get an Echo, surely DK can!
I 101% the game

COMPLETLEY worth it as I beat the game within 3 days

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
I feel exactly the same, I'm not a Genwunner by any means, but Pokémon Red was by far the most important game of my childhood and remains my favorite game in the series because of how important it's been to me (read: nostalgia), I've played through it so many times and still do so on occasions that I can come up with a fun challenge, yet Let's Go just doesn't do anything for me. I know it's being aimed at new players, and as such a completely different demographic than me, but I'm still so disappointed with how it's turning out, no wild Pokémon battles is just bizarre and the handholding looks like it's been cranked up to 11.

After having played the series through every single generation it'll be the first main series game I'm not buying, which is something I really didn't imagine would happen with a remake of Gen 1 of all things. Spyro being delayed to the same month means I'll still have more than enough entertainment to hold me off until Ultimate anyways.
Reading this is depressing, I grew up on a Rural new york farm with a Sega Genisis, (Can you tell I like sonic?) and hay farming. I had a great childhood
https://www.smashbros.com/fr_CA/fighter/index.html
Rondoudou. Need I say more? (why did he hop on the dumb translations train?, because ha, that's why)

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee doesn't seem to have a notable amount of preorders like Pokemon games usually do. It doesn't seem they're pushing Gen 1 as hard as I thought they were, so I don't think we'll get another Gen 1 fighter in Smash.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Speaking of which, is Link's Dark Link alt already in the game?
DevaAshera DevaAshera

Wait, you’re telling me Miyamoto didn’t design Imajin and all the characters from Doki Doki Panic?

Kuon Kuon

They brought in Richter whose from Rondo of Blood which also isn’t a very well-known game. Also, although he isn’t well-known in the states, he is well-known in Japan although this may have to do with Yume Kōjō itself and less with Doki Doki Panic.
No, the Dream Family were the mascots of Yume Kojo '87 (Dream Factory '87), a festival celebrating media or something of the like. The only characters Miyamoto designed were the enemies and world, which is why they are still used in the Mario series. This is also why when it's referenced, it's referred to as just Doki Doki Panic instead of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic, it's proper title.

Richter isn't that obscure amongst western Castlevania fans, he had a major role in Symphony of the Night, which is a very well known game.
So it's not like the Dark Link alt in Brawl?
It's exactly like the Dark Link alt in Brawl & 3DS/Wii U, they just meant it's not the Dark Link outfit featured in Breath of the Wild, which is the Ocarina of Time incarnation. The Dark Link colour in Ultimate is over Link's Tunic of the Wild outfit.

D

Deleted member

I 101% the game

COMPLETLEY worth it as I beat the game within 3 days
Jokes aside, the 101% path isn't that bad. The only ones that are truly rage inducing are the slide mini-games, that one weird beaver herding minigame, and the one where you race a rabbit with Lanky.

I played it on Wii U where the rabbit race was busted.

I hated that rabbit so stinkin' much.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
But y'know, it's obviously real because it mentioned Richter (even though they claimed Simon wasn't in), which means that the other leak that mentioned him is real too. Shame King K. Rool is an assist trophy...
Now to be fair, if you only seen Richter's name listed, wouldn't you think he was chosen in place of Simon? It's not an unrealistic assumption.

Besides, everyone still believes the Gematsu leak despite it having Chrom and Chorus Kids.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That could apply to literally any other series and you chose one out of the 30-something.
So, how about: "If Metroid can get a villain who hasn't been around for quite a few years, DKC can get a recent protagonist".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's see.... If there's twice as many Echos as originals and we don't count Lucina and Dark Pit...

Currently 4 Echos
Currently 4 Characters

Assuming 2-4 new characters we don't know about that makes for 12 echos max we still don't know about.

Sounds a bit much but I'll give it a crack

1. Dry Bowser
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Birdo
  4. Yarn Yoshi
  5. Hilda
  6. Impa
  7. Gothitelle (I still believe... replace with Swirlix if debunked)
  8. Medusa
  9. Octoling
  10. Shadow
  11. Ken
  12. Roll

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
My guess would be 4 more unique characters and 4-5 more echoes, since we're halfway through and that's around our current amount (also 8-9 more characters is how much would fit in their blog schedule). I think Shadow and Dixie are the most likely, Isabelle (but only because of the rumors), Ken and Impa are the big ones I see. I don't see Ultimate going too crazy with echoes, though, since they still require work and you don't want to dwarf the unique characters.

Yeah, they're rare. But every once in awhile you encounter one again and you remember why they were so notorius in the first place...
Hi! I mean, I'm not sure if I fit the definition of a genwunner, particularly the kind that hates all non-Gen 1 Pokemon. It's just the generation I grew up with and I fell off after the fourth movie came out--mixture of Gen 1/2, and I do find most post Gen 2 Pokemon boring/uninspiring. I can't imagine any Gen 7 mons that could be in Smash that I would like, particularly likely ones that adds elemental variety now that Pokemon Trainer is back (my personal pick would be Buzzwole for both bug type and ultra beast representation). But I'm happy for the fans that want them, and it's a matter of personal taste. :)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Generation 6 has some solid pokemon designs, like Clawziter, Aegislash, Noivern, and the infamous Goomy. It just didn't introduce a lot, and they could tend to be hit or miss (I personally feel like it has the weakest starter trio out of any generation so far). But it also introduced a lot of great mega evolutions. Mega Venusaur, Blastoise, Mawile, and Lucario are all great. I also love Mega Sceptile and Sableye if you count the ORAS ones.

Then again, that generation is the one that introduced Mega Mewtwo Y....Mega Mewtwo X may have grown on me a little bit after I played Pokken, but I'll never like its' Y form.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, how about: "If Metroid can get a villain who hasn't been around for quite a few years, DKC can get a recent protagonist".
You don't have to crucify the man, by God.

Remmy-ro

Smash Cadet

Inb4 they pull the rug out from under you and diddy's new final smash just features Dixie and that's the only way she's in the game

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Also is it just me, or is Daisy pretty thicc in Mario Tennis Aces?
Daisy and the other human females in the Mario series are always thicc...but not as thicc as Wario
I'd love to see those costumes too
One day, we’ll get those costumes
I love everyone's poses. They're so dynamic for the most part and show off a ton of personality. If you have like half an hour to kill, watch one of those videos that compares how they've evolved over the years. It's crazy how this series continues to impress game after game because, while the character models for Melee and Brawl have aged terribly, I remember how much people flailed their arms about over them when they first came out because Smash always produces the most detailed and graphically impressive versions of those characters for that generation.
Once the differences hit you, everything just comes crashing down as you wonder...how the **** does Sakurai and crew manage to continuously make these characters look so amazing (even comparing 64 and Melee or Melee and Brawl you see a big difference without HD, then you got Ultimate which destroys everything with its beauty). They can manage to make a realistic soldier fit with Nintendo and a space dragon look hella realistic, both to perfection. Just wow

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hi! I mean, I'm not sure if I fit the definition of a genwunner, particularly the kind that hates all non-Gen 1 Pokemon. It's just the generation I grew up with and I fell off after the fourth movie came out--mixture of Gen 1/2, and I do find most post Gen 2 Pokemon boring/uninspiring. I can't imagine any Gen 7 mons that could be in Smash that I would like, particularly likely ones that adds elemental variety now that Pokemon Trainer is back (my personal pick would be Buzzwole for both bug type and ultra beast representation). But I'm happy for the fans that want them, and it's a matter of personal taste. :)
I'm not talking about people who only really know Gen 1, that's fine. I mean people who demand Pokemon to go back to Kanto and stay in Kanto, ignoring all the progress that's been made in recent years just for their nostalgia.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As far as the Pokémon community in general goes I began distancing myself from it many years ago. I think it's difficult to have any meaningful discussion in it because everyone has their own nostalgia fueled biases, people moan about Gen 1 nostalgia (much more so than it's actually present in the community these days) but glance over the usual trendy nostalgia wave that comes after a game has been out long enough. Like, the Hoenn bias was really bad just before OR/AS, and the recent-ish Sinnoh bias has just been straight up bizarre to witness given just how hated those games were when they were current. It's not like you can even discuss anything about the games when they enter that phase either, the general consensus just changes to them being amazing, but nobody ever details what's great about them, and they definitely don't remember the flaws either.

I fully understand the nostalgia part, and I get that it's a result of new people who grew up with those generations joining the community, but I just wish people would acknowledge it or allow any kind of discussion to happen in relation to those games, instead it's just this endless spiral that feeds itself until the next generation takes over. It'll be really odd when it's Unova's turn given just how hated it was, but at least the games might finally get their due credit then, even if it's because of nostalgia.

I suppose it all depends on which sites you hang around though, I only really read things about the series on more casual gaming sites, it might be different on forums that are more specifically dedicated to the games.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
As far as the Pokémon community in general goes I began distancing myself from it many years ago. I think it's difficult to have any meaningful discussion in it because everyone has their own nostalgia fueled biases, people moan about Gen 1 nostalgia (much more so than it's actually present in the community these days) but glance over the usual trendy nostalgia wave that comes after a game has been out long enough. Like, the Hoenn bias was really bad just before OR/AS, and the recent-ish Sinnoh bias has just been straight up bizarre to witness given just how hated those games were when they were current. It's not like you can even discuss anything about the games when they enter that phase either, the general consensus just changes to them being amazing, but nobody ever details what's great about them, and they definitely don't remember the flaws either.

I fully understand the nostalgia part, and I get that it's a result of new people who grew up with those generations joining the community, but I just wish people would acknowledge it or allow any kind of discussion to happen in relation to those games, instead it's just this endless spiral that feeds itself until the next generation takes over. It'll be really odd when it's Unova's turn given just how hated it was, but at least the games might finally get their due credit then, even if it's because of nostalgia.

I suppose it all depends on which sites you hang around though, I only really read things about the series on more casual gaming sites, it might be different on forums that are more specifically dedicated to the games.
I know what you mean, but i'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy Unova entering the "This gen was amazing!" nostalgia cycle.
Unova was obliterated by fans when it released, it deserves some time in the spotlight.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I really wanted Dark Link to get the alph treatment. I woulda been happy if he was echo'd
I guess the problem is which Dark Link?

One I'd choose is the Ocarina of Time one with the detailing of the Twilight Princess one. (i.e. black eyes with red pupils) as he's the most iconic one.
It would also be a novel way to have original adult Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom