• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wasn't there a Warioware game that just came out? That'd probably be why they were tweeting about it

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The posting of Skull Kid feels more random because Majora's Mask 3D and its characters has not been notably advertised on their Instagram for the last three years until now, sort of like the random Lycanroc US/UM tweet from Nintendo of America this year when Lycanroc was unobtainable at the time.
As someone who does the Instagram/Twitter/Facebook for two companies, I caution against reading too into a single out of place post. I'm sure that they have metrics that tell them what's being talked about the most, and after the moon in the recent direct, I'm sure that Skull Kid got much more mentions in social media than he did previously.

The people in charge of their Instagram account could have simply seen that and posted something accordingly to cash in on the clicks when they otherwise had no obligations to advertise anything. It could also be a planned subtle advertising for an eventual Smash reveal, but my money's on the former, since it's also probable that the people in charge of their social media aren't even privy to the final Smash roster yet.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm hoping we get some Robin/Lucina type reveals.

Also I'm starting to think the "Everyone Is Here" tagline is actually a major theme of the newcomers as well. As it could possibly extend to ATs, Mii Costumes, scrapped characters etc. Of course you got exceptions like Simon and Richter.

Polan

Smash Lord
i wish people would stop using those ****ing chairs as proof that skull kid will get in. there is far more compelling evidence available that points to him potentially being a character (his assist trophy still being MIA, the moon making it in, project plan completion date in the same year that MM3D released, the fact that sakurai is aware of his popularity and the ballot) like all of those are more convincing than chairs and instagram photos posted by nintendo interns who are probably just as much in the dark as us (seriously, even nintendo employees were caught off guard by smash ultimate's reveal)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I learned that this is a thing. I know that this may never come back, but how would you all feel if this came back?
Forget the Moon, this is the true best AT. I wanna hear him complain about the Inklings being a bunch of punk kids who only care about being fresh and how the Villager won't stop resetting, lol. That'd be great.

On the topic of Skull Kid, one thing I think that'd be good to keep in mind is that Nintendo's a big company that advertises and markets a bunch of different things, and not everything they do is tied to Smash Bros. Zelda titles especially are treated as evergreen system sellers, so if you see adverts for Majora's Mask 3D, that doesn't necessarily mean it's hinting anything about Smash. Just my own thoughts though, I could be completely wrong. :p

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, and i thought Nintendo of America twitter posts about Warioware made it obvious that Ashley was getting in.
That is not the same thing.

Considering that advertising was to promote a recent installment WarioWare, it is not enough close to an odd hint. That example you brought up is just recent advertising with no odd timing.

As someone who does the Instagram/Twitter/Facebook for two companies, I caution against reading too into a single out of place post. I'm sure that they have metrics that tell them what's being talked about the most, and after the moon in the recent direct, I'm sure that Skull Kid got much more mentions in social media than he did previously.

The people in charge of their Instagram account could have simply seen that and posted something accordingly to cash in on the clicks when they otherwise had no obligations to advertise anything. It could also be a planned subtle advertising for an eventual Smash reveal, but my money's on the former, since it's also probable that the people in charge of their social media aren't even privy to the final Smash roster yet.
I will not read into it too much personally, but it is eye-brow raising to say the least.

D

Deleted member

Also I'm starting to think the "Everyone Is Here" tagline is actually a major theme of the newcomers as well. As it could possibly extend to ATs, Mii Costumes, scrapped characters etc.
It's James Bond time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's James Bond time.
On a serious note, I'm trying to think of any characters that were scrapped otherwise besides the Forbidden 7(Dixie, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and whatever Pra_Mai were, which may or may not be Plusle & Minun).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Please just let Bandana Dee be in this game Sakurai.

He’s literally my last major hold-out, as well as Dixie.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Still the only person hoping we get that Geno/ Mallow transformation character

Lol imagine a trailer revealing him, people get shocked about Geno being in the game, then WAM they smack us right in the face and make Geno able to transform into Mallow with Down-B like old Zelda (they both are spirits anyway). Hell, if you are gonna do one, you might as well do the other.

God, if there was a way to top the last two directs....

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

Quoting this because yes. All of the yes. I also do social media for a large company, and we use word clouds to trigger what people are talking about and try to formulate posts around that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lol imagine a trailer revealing him, people get shocked about Geno being in the game, then WAM they smack us right in the face and make Geno able to transform into Mallow with Down-B like old Zelda (they both are spirits anyway). Hell, if you are gonna do one, you might as well do the other.

I imagine the trailer starting with Mallow, and people being all WTF not Geno.

Then it reveals Geno

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

The better way would be to reveal Mallow first just to troll and disappoint the fans, then make him use Down-B so they can be like "Psych!" King Dedede style.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Don't worry, Sakurai always knows the way
index.jpg

If the reveal of Geno came alongside Skull kid, I can imagine it would be a very magical reveal.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In terms of other scrapped characters who haven't been made playable yet, there is Ayumi Tachibana, Geno, Blastoise, Krystal (Now an AT), Takamaru (Now an AT), and Heihachi Mishima.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wasn't Leif from FE5 considered as the Melee Marth Clone?
By scrapped, I mean they at least were in the game as character data. Not just considered. That's a different thing.

I should've been way more clear. I also forget if that was a mistranslation or not.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I know people may be getting tired of hearing Skull Kid talk, but one point I dont see brought up much is that the Switch as a whole seems to have a lot of N64 era pandering.

Mario Odyssey & BOTW in general, Switch appealing to the demographic that wouldve grown up with N64, etc. Smash Ultimate is following this pattern in such ways as bringing back almost every N64 stage, having :ultkrool:s FS being an HD remake of DK64s bad ending. It wouldnt be too out of place to see Skull Kid appear. The Majora mask itself is also quite iconic even outside of gaming, with it being plastered on Zelda merch almost as much as the triforce itself. That, and with the characters popularity and his current unkown role in the game makes me think SK has a good shot.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
New game, list the most likely newcomers in tiers (S being most likely and C being least but still having a chance) based on circumstancial evidence such as tweets etc. list your reasoning, and no echoes (I won’t list Dixie or Isabelle here cause I’m assuming they’re echoes)

S -
Skull Kid (recent Instagram post)
Isaac - Rathalos screenshot on site looks like a battle scene from Golden Sun

A -
Elma - Mech figurine Sakurai purchased may be a reference for the Skell Final Smash; Hiroyuki Sawano (X’s composer) doing music for a secret project in March
(Bandana) Waddle Dee - all Waddle Dees absent from Dedede’s moveset, Bandana Dee missing from the scene depicted in Dedede’s FS
Geno - Nintendo America made a tweet remembering Super Mario RPG’s anniversary

B -
Chorus Kids - since Chrom is in, Chorus Kids may be the last newcomer from the original Gematsu plans. There was code in Smash 4 for a RH series logo
Lloyd Irving - Brian Beacock’s statements on the AseliaCon Facebook message screencaps are a bit suspicious
Gen 7 - Verg seems to be the only lead so far and it’s not Decidueye or Lycanroc at least

C -
Heihachi - was planned for 4, not much else evidence atm
S -
Skull Kid: I feel he got pretty well on the ballot, helped a lot by timing Majora's Remake, and have survivded teh test of time. Also have had a decent following since brawl.
Majora's Mask is also the kind of game that a game developer would probably look with AT LEAST curiosity, since the game featured interesting systems that were pioneering, and haven't been fully exploited yet. Meaning that Sakurai probably likes majora's mask, say over more traditional games like like Skyward sword.
Finally, while i think that assuming a couple of chairs is somewhat farfetched, is TRUE than in hindsight, teh first direct may have hinted at krool using the same method.

A-
Isabelle - quite a popular character, Animal crossing is big, and she can work as a villager echo, but even then, she may gotten the popularity to warant a completely original moveset. Either way she is probably in.
Bandana Waddle Dee - Seems popular and potentially very fun, while not needing an overcomplicated gimmick to be well repped.
Shadow - Popular in japan, I did said the same thing about ashley though, but unlike Ashley, he can work pretty well as an echo, even borrowing moves from other fighters (Mewtwo teleport, or god forbid, bayonetta's witch time) and different animations would round up teh character in a pretty good way.

(So far this 4 characters don't need new stages, so they seem likely, even if i'm not 100% sure if we are really not getting more stages, and i really hope that is not the case)

B-
Isaac - Another character that potentially did very well on the ballot, and also have withstand the test of time. Rahalos screenshot so far could be a wink.
Gen 7 pokemon - Not super likely, but certainly still an option. Pokemon tend to be the exception to the popularity dictated rule.
Lloyd Irving - Probably more mlikely second Namco rep. overall decently popular character in all regards.

C-
Geno - Same boat as Isaac, but overall more obscure. Still, is worth noting that for such an obscure and not relevant character stuck in a small Licensing hell to be considered as a serious contender for a spot in smash speaks volumes of his support base. If he doesn't manages to be a playable character expect an assist trophy at least. Mini SNES also have helped get some more exposure.
Elma - Still feel like Xenoblade X focus point weren't as much teh characters as the world... plus feel likethe ballot didn't helped her much. still could be a sakurai's pick.
Rythm heaven rep - probably the most infuential current Nintendo series not featured in smash. Still, not uber popular, and the lack of a clear mascot may make it a little more complicated. teh fact that it was considered for previous smashes help it's chances though. and potential very unique moveset.

D- (not really likely, but not impossible)
Gardevoir - That particulary leak is fake, but this is a pokemon that may managed to get enough support n teh ballot to be considered... stil not likely, but certainly not imposible (unlike gothielle, even if she could work as a gardevoir echo, echos are still used for popular characters, Gothielle is niche at best)
Chandelure - Other old pokemon that may have had the support needed to be considered, still probably less likely than gardevoir.
Sceptile - had some support during the ballot, but same as Chandelure.
Blaziken - also had some degree of support and have the adventage that could translate well into an echo.
Silvally - poster biased pick.
Terra Brandford - nothin seems to point towards her, but likely got a decent fraction of teh generic "final fantasy" support in the ballot.
Blackmage - Same as Terra.
Medusa - doesn't seems to have teh popularity needed for echo, but she had at least some degree of popularity, and could work as a palutena echo.
Heihachi - is still the most recognizable tekken character.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So here’s a little game to play, make a trailer for a newcomer, but have it introduce an Echo Fighter along with that character ala :ultrobinand:ultlucina: or :ultsimon:and:ultrichter:.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So i already wasn't liking the new Gangplank Galleon music when I heard it in K. Rool's debut trailer, and knowing this version has rap in it has guaranteed its play-ratio will be 0 in my system when this game come out. The same reason I dont like the DK Rap.

I really hope Brawl's Gangplank track is also in this game.

D

Deleted member

So i already wasn't liking the new Gangplank Galleon music when I heard it in K. Rool's debut trailer, and knowing this version has rap in it has guaranteed its play-ratio will be 0 in my system when this game come out. The same reason I dont like the DK Rap.

Not a rap fan, I take it?

I hope you're ready for Black Tar

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
New game, list the most likely newcomers in tiers (S being most likely and C being least but still having a chance) based on circumstancial evidence such as tweets etc. list your reasoning, and no echoes (I won’t list Dixie or Isabelle here cause I’m assuming they’re echoes)

S -

A -
Elma - Mech figurine Sakurai purchased may be a reference for the Skell Final Smash; Hiroyuki Sawano (X’s composer) doing music for a secret project in March
(Bandana) Waddle Dee - all Waddle Dees absent from Dedede’s moveset, Bandana Dee missing from the scene depicted in Dedede’s FS

B -
Chorus Kids - since Chrom is in, Chorus Kids may be the last newcomer from the original Gematsu plans. There was code in Smash 4 for a RH series logo
Lloyd Irving - Brian Beacock’s statements on the AseliaCon Facebook message screencaps are a bit suspicious
Gen 7 - Verg seems to be the only lead so far and it’s not Decidueye or Lycanroc at least

C -

S tier
No one, because I don't think anyone is 100% guaranteed to be in, maybe 90%, maybe 99...but 100% based just on agreed upon speculation and conjecture? I'll leave this tier empty.

A tier
A new Pokémon SM rep, and at least one Fire Emblem rep (I say, non-sarcastically)

B tier
Rex and Pyra
One last 3rd-party rep

C tier
4 more Fire Emblem reps (I say, half-sarcastically)

Zeox

Smash Champion

Well, in the trailer of Ridley you can hear the remix from brawl, yet in the video of movesets you can hear a new remix of his theme.
So I guess both new and old remixes will be in the final game.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Not a rap fan, I take it?

I hope you're ready for Black Tar
I like GOOD rap, sure. Not cartoony rap, not whatever Xenoblade X tried in their battle theme...and I just don't connect rap or metal etc. with Donkey Kong.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Guys, I've been thinking. Sakurai said; "We plan to reveal the design of every character before the game releases"

What if that does not count for Echo fighters?
I mean, they are based off of other fighters, and would not be a direct new "design".

Just a thought.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So...from best to worst, rant the Ultimate newcomers. This is-a mine
:ultinkling:- Wanted them from the beginning of the Smash Ballot (and didn’t even play the first game for over a year...but I bought the second and love it...I didn’t expect them hem to be the first character revealed, let alone be used to announce this new Smash game)
:ultridley::ultkrool:(Tie)- highly requested and highly wanted...plus more villians and more bad***ery
:ultsimon:- Captain N...and music...and whip...that is all I got
:ultchrom::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus:- didn’t expect either of them, but I’m glad they get to join (Chrom can get more roasts from Viridi, Daisy can have more spotlight given to her...which is rightfully deserved..., and Dark Samus is another villain who looks bad*** alongside being another Dark clone...need more of this)
:ultrichter:- don’t know **** about him and most likely never will

You’ll love it soon...nobody turns down the King and his superior remix

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
He's finally here

Performing for you

It's the first member of the Kremling Krew

King K.

King K. Rool

King K.

King K. Rool is here!
Well i had to upvote that, I can hear it in my head now...

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

S -

A -

B -

C -

S -
Isabelle - Rumored by Vergeben, most popular Animal Crossing character by far, AT still missing.
Skull Kid - A lot of hints for his inclusion, including still missing AT

A -
Geno - Was considered and got a mii costume. Especially now that Chrom and K. Rool got Mii Costumes.
Shadow - I really don't like him but there's clues that he's getting in as Sonic's Echo.
Bandana Dee(or Waddle Dee) - Part of the main Kirby quartet, popular in both sides of the Pacific.

B -

Lloyd Irving - DLC Mii Costume especially when he was released alongside K. Rool & Chrom, and now there's rumors of his inclusion
Heihachi- Planned and has one substantial rumor with him alongside Lloyd
Elma - Most likely Xenoblade character for Base, gun possibly for her
Isaac - AT still missing, a screenshot that's possibly referencing the battle screen from the game
Gen 7 Pokemon - Rumored by Vergeben, likely guess as each game had the latest gen newcomer at the time(Pikachu & Jigglypuff, Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja)

C -

Mach Rider - The gun could be for him/her.
Rex & Pyra - Possibly too early for them. Unless Sakurai managed to see their concept designs during the roster finalizing period. Likely for DLC.
ARMs Character - Again too early for them, much more more early compared to Rex & Pyra. Likely for DLC

D -

Edelgard - She was literally just revealed now. But she's a definite candidate for DLC.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So here’s a little game to play, make a trailer for a newcomer, but have it introduce an Echo Fighter along with that character ala :ultrobinand:ultlucina: or :ultsimon:and:ultrichter:.
Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight are fighting either Galacta Knight (:ultmetaknight:) or Susie Haltmann (:ultbowserjr:). It doesn't look good for the Trio, but out of nowhere a spear is thrown (It either barely misses Galacta or damages Susie's mech). The spear thrower is revealed with a tagline saying...

Bandana Dee Waddles In!

Gameplay footage procedes, and the post gameplay sequence has the RTDL doing the Kirby Dance, but right as they end they hear the laugh of a certain spherical jester.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Guys, I've been thinking. Sakurai said; "We plan to reveal the design of every character before the game releases"

What if that does not count for Echo fighters?
I mean, they are based off of other fighters, and would not be a direct new "design".

Just a thought.
I think he would've specified "every newcomer" instead of "every character" if he was gonna leave out echo fighters out of that statement. Who knows tho.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Many of you underestimate dixie kongs chance getting in smash ultimate lol. Personally i think her chance is like 95%

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
That is not the same thing.

Considering that advertising was to promote a recent installment WarioWare, it is not enough close to an odd hint. That example you brought up is just recent advertising with no odd timing.
Yeah, I'm just saying not to read into it. Anyone's perception is their reality and seeing a tweet that references Skull Kid or red eyes will make them believe what they want to believe. Turning speculation into a cesspool of "this tweet or post CLEARLY means this" or "this scene in the trailer is totally foreshadowing this character" is ridiculous. It's the same thing with people saying that Mother 3 will be localized whenever Nintendo makes some joke about how they're never gonna localize it (albeit much to my chagrin).

That being said, I think Skull Kid is likely despite the leaks. He has managed to stay relevant since MM and its remake, so time is nigh for him to appear.

I do think this whole """""""""""""""""""""""leak"""""""""""""""""""""""" (whatever that word even means anymore) mentality Smashboards is in right now is a bit annoying, but that's for another day.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
New game, list the most likely newcomers in tiers (S being most likely and C being least but still having a chance) based on circumstancial evidence such as tweets etc. list your reasoning, and no echoes
...yeah, I gotta put echoes in - they're the only ones I'm reasonably confident in.

S -
Isabelle (Vilager echo) - Isabelle's been Ninty's breakout star, and she'd be a really easy echo.
Dixie (Diddy echo) - With Dark Samus, it seems that a newcomer and an echo from an underrepped franchise is not out of the question, and Dixie's undeniably got more ballot popularity than Samustoo

A -
Shadow (Sonic echo) - Now that Richter's in, Shadow's chances seem to have shot up...unfortunately for people like me who'd prefer Tails. Shadow's got the popularity behind him, and he'd be easy enough to do.

B -
BWD - Based on SourceGaming's poll, BWD is the highest ranked character who's not yet got a position in Smash.
Isaac - Loads of popularity going into the ballot, and the unceremonious dropping of his assist didn't sit well with others.
Geno - I'm still not on this train, but he does have a lot of support. And a Mii costume. And Sakurai admitted he liked him.

C -
Skull Kid - Zelda's not gotten a unique newcomer since Melee, and Majora's Mask is constantly one of the higher ranked games in the franchise. Definitely memetic enough.

...here's hoping some of my favorites can be on the DLC list at least...

D

Deleted member

You can tell if someone didn't actually play Final Fantasy 6 when they're asking for Terra in Smash instead of Celes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom