• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Not saying that Skull Kid isn't likely, but I wouldn't read into the pic too much. This is a photo by @curiousherring on Instagram, who they share a lot of content from. It's probably the freelance photographer photo backlog that they've bought and are releasing. Disney has done something similar with my roommate's art. I feel like it's a coincidence.

Also it's Nintendo UK's social team. I highly doubt they know much about Smash. Social teams don't really get assets and information until closer to announcement to avoid accidental leaks. At least that's how companies I've worked at previously did it.

I dunno, I feel like people are just latching onto anything they can to validate the recent leaks. Believe what you want, but keep your hype in check is all I'm saying.

Iridium

Smash Hero
100 PAGES IN 2 DAYS

I can't catch up with this nonsense.

Tell me there is something interesting, because I don't believe a discussion about Skull Kid, Spirit and FNAF has taken 100 pages in 2 days.
Well, nothing too big. Lots of Skull Kid talk, but no big hints.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
100 PAGES IN 2 DAYS

Tell me there is something interesting, because I don't believe a discussion about Skull Kid, Spirit and FNAF has taken 100 pages in 2 days.
Nah the reason there are so many pages it's because people keep coming back to talking about Goku and possible pokemon newcomers, lol. Other than that, not much, just debunked one or two leaks I guess (if I consider 100 pages…). The skull kid pict reposted by Nintendo UK talk literally started now. So you didn' t miss much

D

Deleted member

I wanna believe Skull Kid is in this game so bad, but I did that with Inklings back in Smash Wii U and got burned. Even if these actually are teases, I don't wanna get my hopes up. I'm gonna wait and see with this one.

Oh, and that Gangplank Galleon remix is FIRE. Easily my new favorite Smash song!

Now, where's my Tide Goes Out remix, Sakurai?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
100 PAGES IN 2 DAYS

Skull Kid
Pokemon
Goku discussions
Waifus from Fire Emblem
Music
And ****posting

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
How does it mean nothing? Because someone else sent it to them? Nintendo could very well not repost it. Everyone sends pics and stuff to Nintendo all the time. If they decided to share it, it might probably be nothing, yeah… but it also MIGHT be due to some type of upcoming relevance. It doesn't matter if the post originated from them or not. Unless there is a rule written in stone that whatever they repost from someone else means nothing.
Well there's the thing it MIGHT not mean something exactly like you said. He's just saying don't take it as a hint or anything given that it may not mean much after all, as it could be the Nintendo UK social team recognizing a fairly known photographer.
Like it's fun to look for hints and all but don't try to think that it's validation for a leak or rumor.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I don't understand why so many people want or think Buzzwole is likely. He sucks, literally..

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
New game, list the most likely newcomers in tiers (S being most likely and C being least but still having a chance) based on circumstancial evidence such as tweets etc. list your reasoning, and no echoes (I won’t list Dixie or Isabelle here cause I’m assuming they’re echoes)

S -
Skull Kid (recent Instagram post)
Isaac - Rathalos screenshot on site looks like a battle scene from Golden Sun

A -
Elma - Mech figurine Sakurai purchased may be a reference for the Skell Final Smash; Hiroyuki Sawano (X’s composer) doing music for a secret project in March
(Bandana) Waddle Dee - all Waddle Dees absent from Dedede’s moveset, Bandana Dee missing from the scene depicted in Dedede’s FS
Geno - Nintendo America made a tweet remembering Super Mario RPG’s anniversary

B -
Chorus Kids - since Chrom is in, Chorus Kids may be the last newcomer from the original Gematsu plans. There was code in Smash 4 for a RH series logo
Lloyd Irving - Brian Beacock’s statements on the AseliaCon Facebook message screencaps are a bit suspicious
Gen 7 - Verg seems to be the only lead so far and it’s not Decidueye or Lycanroc at least

C -
Heihachi - was planned for 4, not much else evidence atm

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Not saying that Skull Kid isn't likely, but I wouldn't read into the pic too much. This is a photo by @curiousherring on Instagram, who they share a lot of content from. It's probably the freelance photographer photo backlog that they've bought and are releasing. Disney has done something similar with my roommate's art. I feel like it's a coincidence.

Also it's Nintendo UK's social team. I highly doubt they know much about Smash. Social teams don't really get assets and information until closer to announcement to avoid accidental leaks. At least that's how companies I've worked at previously did it.

I dunno, I feel like people are just latching onto anything they can to validate the recent leaks. Believe what you want, but keep your hype in check is all I'm saying.
Idk, I'd normally agree but between the insta post, the furniture and leaks from seemingly pretty reliable sources it's hard to believe that it's all just a coincidence

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
100 PAGES IN 2 DAYS

There was a supposed leak from January that ended up not even being from January at all and it was fake.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
How does it mean nothing? Because someone else sent it to them? Nintendo could very well not repost it. Everyone sends pics and stuff to Nintendo all the time. If they decided to share it, it might probably be nothing, yeah… but it also MIGHT be due to some type of upcoming relevance. It doesn't matter if the post originated from them or not. Unless there is a rule written in stone that whatever they repost from someone else means nothing.
Correlation does not imply Causation

They may have just reposted a picture they liked. Sakurai may have just decided that the background was drab so he picked some colorful chairs. I want Skull Kid, but I don't want to assume that every 'hint' is an indirect confirmation. I remember the "Ridley is in the clouds! Ridley's shadow!" arguments.

We don't even have confirmation that they are in the habit of doing so. The set dresser for E3 may be a hipster who thinks that a rope ladder is a quirky setpiece. Nobody ever came out and said "I put this here because I was hinting at K.Rool." And in that case, why no creepy candelabrum to hint at Simon? And for this one: Nintendo UK isn't involved in making Smash, and Sakurai's playing things so close to the belt that I'm sure there are some people actively working on the game who don't know the roster. How would some social media intern halfway across the world know?

In short - I don't want to get hooked on straw-graspy arguments because it's too easy to get disappointed.

Ed Boon reposted stuff like that all the time for the Injustice DLC season, but 99% of those characters were not ultimately playable.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Well there's the thing it MIGHT not mean something exactly like you said. He's just saying don't take it as a hint or anything given that it may not mean much after all, as it could be the Nintendo UK social team recognizing a fairly known photographer.
Like it's fun to look for hints and all but don't try to think that it's validation for a leak or rumor.
I never took it as a given thing, I'm just saying we keep getting more and more hints and teases about it, lol. It would be silly to discard it off entirely for invalid reasons such as being reposted by someone else, it's all i'm saying.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
100 PAGES IN 2 DAYS

I kind of agree. There's a lot more to talk about, and that stuff has the newcomer speculation general for that.

I wonder, for example, if Sakurai has any plans for some weird single player side mode like special orders was? What would be cool for that?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Correlation does not imply Causation

They may have just reposted a picture they liked. Sakurai may have just decided that the background was drab so he picked some colorful chairs. I want Skull Kid, but I don't want to assume that every 'hint' is an indirect confirmation. I remember the "Ridley is in the clouds! Ridley's shadow!" arguments.

We don't even have confirmation that they are in the habit of doing so. The set dresser for E3 may be a hipster who thinks that a rope ladder is a quirky setpiece. Nobody ever came out and said "I put this here because I was hinting at K.Rool." And in that case, why no creepy candelabrum to hint at Simon? And for this one: Nintendo UK isn't involved in making Smash, and Sakurai's playing things so close to the belt that I'm sure there are some people actively working on the game who don't know the roster. How would some social media intern halfway across the world know?

In short - I don't want to get hooked on straw-graspy arguments because it's too easy to get disappointed.

Ed Boon reposted stuff like that all the time for the Injustice DLC season, but 99% of those characters were not ultimately playable.
All i'm saying it's a 50/50 chance of meaning nothing or meaning something. I just don't want to jump on the wagon of discarding it entirely right of the bat. I don't want to be disappointed, but that doesn't mean I will turn the blind either if there is at least 1% chance of meaning something. Ed Boon might be known for doing that, therefore nobody really gets excited about it. But Nintendo is known for actually teasing stuff now and then that actually end in being something, even if it's not all of the time. Just saying.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
https://www.instagram.com/p/BknBhlzAF3W/?taken-by=nintendouk

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmLPlG2gNch/?taken-by=nintendouk

So I guess this means we're getting Crash and an Overcooked rep as well?
That or they're just pretty pictures and we're reading too far into things.
Unlike those characters, Skull kid has been piling up a few hints and teases already. It's not even possible to compare his current situation to those two. Therefore his reposted pict gains a possible % of chances of meaning something, unlike other reposts.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Unlike those characters, Skull kid has been piling up a few hints and teases already. It's not even possible to compare his current situation to those two. Therefore his reposted pict gains a possible % of chances of meaning something, unlike other reposts.
Look, I think Skull Kid's missing assist trophy is very suspicious, and I think there is a fairly good chance we'll be getting him, but I'd hardly consider that picture evidence. The only "tease" we've gotten so far from Nintendo directly is that chair conspiracy theory, which is enough of a stretch that we probably don't want to put that much stock in it.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

I don't agree with the Instagram pic meaning anything, but I've got to point out how flawed of a comparison this is given that the both of those posts are blatantly advertising something in their own descriptions whereas the Skull Kid pic is not.

D

Deleted member

New game, list the most likely newcomers in tiers (S being most likely and C being least but still having a chance) based on circumstancial evidence such as tweets etc. list your reasoning, and no echoes (I won’t list Dixie or Isabelle here cause I’m assuming they’re echoes)
S - Geno - Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus and K. Rool have convinced me the ballot actually was worth a darn. Geno had nearly just as much support for him on the ballot as K. Rool and others did, and Sakurai has stated Geno is something he personally wants. His only hurdle is if SE decides to be butts about the rights, but if all goes well, I think it's his time. I think Geno is gonna be in Smash.

A - I...can't think of anyone to put here. Oof.

B - Skull Kid - I'm gonna be honest, I personally don't think the furniture is hinting anything, and I'm not 100% sold on Loz18. However, if, and IMO it's a big IF, we get a Zelda newcomer, Skull Kid is probably the best one in the running right now. Yeah, there's Impah, but that would be a huge let down for me personally, as all she'd probably wind up being is a Shiek Echo. Nah, if Zelda's getting a newcomer, it's Skull Kid. I will fully admit that I'm biased about this though, as MM is my favorite Zelda and one of my top 3 games of all time, lol.

C - Bandana Waddle Dee - ...Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, I personally believe he has no chance at this point. As I sadly expected, all of the Kirby content shown off so far has once again only been from Kirby games that Sakurai was involved in. I would love to be wrong here, but to me, the writing is on the wall; Sakurai, for whatever reason, seems to not want to put in Kirby stuff that's outside of his games. It's a shame, but eh, it's his game, he can do what he likes.

Iridium

Smash Hero

So, I learned that this is a thing. I know that this may never come back, but how would you all feel if this came back?

osby

Smash Obsessed
S - Geno - Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus and K. Rool have convinced me the ballot actually was worth a darn. Geno had nearly just as much support for him on the ballot as K. Rool and others did, and Sakurai has stated Geno is something he personally wants. His only hurdle is if SE decides to be butts about the rights, but if all goes well, I think it's his time. I think Geno is gonna be in Smash.

A - I...can't think of anyone to put here. Oof.

B - Skull Kid - I'm gonna be honest, I personally don't think the furniture is hinting anything, and I'm not 100% sold on Loz18. However, if, and IMO it's a big IF, we get a Zelda newcomer, Skull Kid is probably the best one in the running right now. Yeah, there's Impah, but that would be a huge let down for me personally, as all she'd probably wind up being is a Shiek Echo. Nah, if Zelda's getting a newcomer, it's Skull Kid. I will fully admit that I'm biased about this though, as MM is my favorite Zelda and one of my top 3 games of all time, lol.

C - Bandana Waddle Dee - ...Yeah, I'm gonna be honest, I personally believe he has no chance at this point. As I sadly expected, all of the Kirby content shown off so far has once again only been from Kirby games that Sakurai was involved in. I would love to be wrong here, but to me, the writing is on the wall; Sakurai, for whatever reason, seems to not want to put in Kirby stuff that's outside of his games. It's a shame, but eh, it's his game, he can do what he likes.
So, Final Smashes of Dedede and Kirby are chopped liver.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

No. Those aren't the same thing.

The posting of Skull Kid feels more random because Majora's Mask 3D and its characters has not been notably advertised on their Instagram for the last three years until now, sort of like the random Lycanroc US/UM tweet from Nintendo of America this year when Lycanroc was unobtainable at the time.

Those recent Instagram posts of Crash and Overcooked are not odd. Those are just cases of Nintendo UK advertising recently released Switch games, of which does not have odd timing like the Skull Kid Instagram post.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So the lyrics to the K Rool song IS in English, though a bit broken English.

D

Deleted member

So, I learned that this is a thing. I know that this may never come back, but how would you all feel if this came back?
That would be amazing. I miss Resetti so much precisely because of his dialogue.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
There was also a random tweet about Geno/Mallow as well.
At this point, if characters being "randomly" teased in pics or whatever, end coming as playable, i'm just gonna laugh at all this sudden doubt lol.

D

Deleted member

So, Final Smashes of Dedede and Kirby are chopped liver.
Oops, I kinda forgot about those, lol.

I'd argue that while yeah, those are things from newer Kirbys, they're not really...big things. I'm talking about stages and the like. Just my two cents though; a lot of my pessimism comes from not wanting to be disappointed one of my most wanted didn't make it in rather than having actual evidence.

Definitely meant no offense to anyone else who wants Bandana Dee; I want him a bunch too, and I'm hoping I'm wrong! :)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't agree with the Instagram pic meaning anything, but I've got to point out how flawed of a comparison this is given that the both of those posts are blatantly advertising something in their own descriptions whereas the Skull Kid pic is not.

The posting of Skull Kid feels more random because Majora's Mask 3D and its characters has not been notably advertised on their Instagram for the last three years until now, sort of like the random Lycanroc US/UM tweet from Nintendo of America this year when Lycanroc was unobtainable at the time.

Those recent Instagram posts of Crash and Overcooked are not odd. Those are just cases of Nintendo UK advertising recently released Switch games, of which does not have odd timing like the Skull Kid Instagram post.
Alright, you two have got me there.

But I still seriously doubt there's anything more to that post than "look at this pretty picture!" regardless of if Skull Kid is actually in or not. It's not like Sakurai tweeted himself or like we're getting a random Smash Direct tomorrow. Even if was meant to hint at something the timing would still be really weird.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

My point exactly, right here.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah, and i thought Nintendo of America twitter posts about Warioware made it obvious that Ashley was getting in.
To be honest that post wasn't a direct hint to anything, it was just Wario's laugh. A pict of skull kid is a direct reference to the character. Not even the same situation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, this could mean MM is one of the various games that'll be available for Switch's Online. It in fact would fit the timing well enough.

The WarioWare tweets were clearly just Gold advertisements. This could be the exact same thing. Skull Kid could become playable, but this tweet could be entirely unrelated too even then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom