• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what do you guys think this other blurred thing on the right side is going to be?
View attachment 157949
I think that it's either a shopping bag to indicate an online store or when you unlock the privilege of an approaching challenger, that's what you click to activate it.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Let’s face it, without a new direct or some big rumors, we’re just stuck in a cycle of Skull Kid, Isabelle, Pokémon and Goku.

Shadow seems to have finally worn out his appeal in debate. Geno is Geno. And the rest have random mentions here and there.

We’re starving and Sakurai hasn’t fed us. Lol
I knew this would happen - we got 63 vets, three echoes, and two newcomers at E3 and we were starving for info within a week. How long are two newcomers and three echoes supposed to hold us, even if we did get almost 20 new stages revealed? :laugh:

I'm hoping that this loz18 news isn't bad for Skull Kid - he wasn't on my list before, but he would be really cool. Most of the other big names bandied around lately don't do much for me, either because they're competition (Shadow for Tails) or since I don't know them. I need to remake my sig to get my full list in, but I doubt I'll see much success...
Game Idea: Come up with an echo for an unrevealed character (Like Richter)

I'll start: 10% Zygarde over Lycanroc
Hmm...who could be a good echo for Dovahkiin...
Based on Skyrim, I'd take some of the more popular characters like Aela. But focusing on the Shouts, Ulfric would probably be the best choice. There's also Miraak to tie in with the villains.

Urbosa's easiest echo would probably be Riju, but that doesn't really seem too impressive. However, we could to pretty off-the-wall and give her a Sophitia or Cassandra echo from Soul Calibur - that'd fit oddly well.
Welp, I guess I just figured out one of the first characters I need to make in the Soul Calibur character creation....

Enchess

Smash Lord
I mean, Smash For started to give more focus to other franchises, and that's one of the biggest complaints about the newcomers.

I like new franchises, but they seem to lose in a popularity contest. (nevermind we got Castevania and Splatoon)
I for the life of me will never understand the portion of the Smash fanbase that prefers the same franchises over and over instead of new ones. If you make me play the "cut the roster down by X" game, Pokemon, Mario, and Fire Emblem are always early in my list. I'll cut Bowser before I axe an entire franchise by removing WFT or Little Mac.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
For those who’ve played Animal Crossing with save files.

If Isabelle gets Neighbors as her alts, who from your town do you personally want to see?
Cousteau just to laugh at and Wolfgang because he’s the best villager.

D

Deleted member

My Unova pick has always been Zoroark but I wouldn't mind the other non-Legendary Pokemon.
Something is up with the potential new Pokemon rep though because it really surprises me that, despite all the Gen 7 Pokemon shown so far, none of them have been starters or their evolutions. Maybe they'll go all in and have Champion Kukui/Hau and have all three final evolutions, balancing it out by having really polarizing stats (Decidueye has long range but terrible close combat options, Inceniroar is super strong but slow as balls, Primarina is really fast but has a hard time killing, etc.)
I've always non-seriously thought of Alolan Trainer but Kukui would fit so much better. I'd rather go with the evolutionary lines ala the OG Pkmn Trainer so if I had to choose it would be:
Popplio/Torracat/Decidueye
Or, alternatively:
Rowlett/Brionne/Incineroar

Part of me still thinks there's a tiny chance we do get another Pkmn Trainer style character. Greninja was an outlier and in a game without transformation mechanics, they could bring it back if they so wished.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
New franchises for Smash?

Nintendo
- Panel De Pon
- Sin and punishment
- Fossil Fighters
- The Prince Sable game?
- Dillion Rolling Western
- Pushmo
- Nintendo LABO

3rd & Indie
- Shantae
- Cave Story
- Dig Dug
- Frogger
- Kingdom Hearts
- Tekken
- King of Fighters
- Resident Evil
- Knola
- Rayman
- Assassins Creed

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
For those who’ve played Animal Crossing with save files.

If Isabelle gets Neighbors as her alts, who from your town do you personally want to see?
Personally I'd opt for other major NPCs rather than neighbors,

- Isabelle (default)
- Isabelle (alt costume)
- Digby
- Rover
- Mabel
- Sabel
- Lottie
- Kicks

Nook is already a final smash, Cyrus and Reese are a bit too tall, Blathers and Celeste are a bit too wide, and K.K already has a good gig playing on Saturday.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Some of you REALLY need to learn a little patience. We just had a direct last week! And yet people are already complaining about a lack of information.

I take it most of you weren't around for Brawl/4. Try YEARS of not hearing anything on for size, then tell me that just over 3 months for the new game is an unbearable drought ;)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I for the life of me will never understand the portion of the Smash fanbase that prefers the same franchises over and over instead of new ones. If you make me play the "cut the roster down by X" game, Pokemon, Mario, and Fire Emblem are always early in my list. I'll cut Bowser before I axe an entire franchise by removing WFT or Little Mac.
Ultimate seems like a good game to add more franchises (people can't blame newcomers for cut characters), but my only hope is Isaac and maaaybe Spring Man. I think cutting arguments being dead was a good place to start Ultimate speculation, btw.

Don't get me wrong, I like getting new Pokémon or characters like Palutena and Bowser Jr. but it was so nice getting Shulk and Village alongside with them last time.

Also less, "who's next *insert franchise here* rep?" talk.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Does anyone here think Sephiroth has a chance getting into Smash as a boss maybe? That would pretty cool, honestly.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802

Nintendo
- Panel De Pon
- Sin and punishment
- Fossil Fighters
- The Prince Sable game?
- Pushmo
- Nintendo LABO

3rd & Indie
- Shantae
- Cave Story
- Dig Dug
- Frogger
- Kingdom Hearts
- Tekken
- King of Fighters
- Resident Evil
- Knola
- Rayman
- Assassins Creed
Golden Sun?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Some of you REALLY need to learn a little patience. We just had a direct last week! And yet people are already complaining about a lack of information.

I take it most of you weren't around for Brawl/4. Try YEARS of not hearing anything on for size, then tell me that just over 3 months for the new game is an unbearable drought ;)
So many days of claims that Pichu would be the last DLC...

Nintendo
- Panel De Pon
- Sin and punishment
- Fossil Fighters
- The Prince Sable game?
- Pushmo
- Nintendo LABO

3rd & Indie
- Shantae
- Cave Story
- Dig Dug
- Frogger
- Kingdom Hearts
- Tekken
- King of Fighters
- Resident Evil
- Knola
- Rayman
- Assassins Creed
What is Knola?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Does anyone here think Sephiroth has a chance getting into Smash as a boss maybe? That would pretty cool, honestly.
Sephiroth would make a great boss, and people would be talking about that for ages. I don't even know Final Fantasy, but I'm totally down for that.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Ultimate seems like a good game to add more franchises (people can't blame newcomers for cut characters), but my only hope is Isaac and maaaybe Spring Man. I think cutting arguments being dead was a good place to start Ultimate speculation, btw.

Don't get me wrong, I like getting new Pokémon or characters like Palutena and Bowser Jr. but it was so nice getting Shulk and Village alongside with them last time.

Also less, "who's next *insert franchise here* rep?" talk.
Yeah, Shulk and Villager were high up on my wants and it was just frustrating hearing people say back then that Sakurai should've done even more for the most repped franchises instead of adding them. My biggest worry right now is that Splatoon will be the only fresh Nintendo face this time around. That would be super disappointing even with a roster this big.

I need 1 more Nintendo franchise to not be disappointed, 2 to be happy. People can think what they want about that, the Nintendo museum aspect is still a huge part of why I love the series and if a fan cares about that aspect the lack of new 1st party franchises is disappointing to them.

Golden Sun?
It's so weird being in a world where Panel De Pon and Sin and Punishment are brought up in lists of potential IPs for a new character but not Golden Sun. (Real talk though, I'd be excited for either of those too)

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace

Nintendo
- Panel De Pon
- Sin and punishment
- Fossil Fighters
- The Prince Sable game?
- Pushmo
- Nintendo LABO

3rd & Indie
- Shantae
- Cave Story
- Dig Dug
- Frogger
- Kingdom Hearts
- Tekken
- King of Fighters
- Resident Evil
- Knola
- Rayman
- Assassins Creed
you forgot about Rhythm Heaven & Ever Oasis

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
My Gen 5 Pokemon choice would be Golurk, All that Ghost Robot potential.

Chandelure or Garbodor/Trubbish are also good.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, Shulk and Villager were high up on my wants and it was just frustrating hearing people say back then that Sakurai should've done even more for the most repped franchises instead of adding them. My biggest worry right now is that Splatoon will be the only fresh Nintendo face this time around. That would be super disappointing even with a roster this big.

I need 1 more Nintendo franchise to not be disappointed, 2 to be happy. People can think what they want about that, the Nintendo museum aspect is still a huge part of why I love the series and if a fan cares about that aspect the lack of new 1st party franchises is disappointing to them.
I DO want some characters from established universes (Isabelle, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee) but i wouldn't complain if Sakurai prioritised new franchises over them, even if it is an old one like Duck Hunt.

I mean, we can at least get a new game beside Splatoon, like Xenoblade X. Chrom was from a game that already had two characters (sorry Chrom, i like you but)

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Nintendo
- Panel De Pon
- Sin and punishment
- Fossil Fighters
- The Prince Sable game?
- Pushmo
- Nintendo LABO

3rd & Indie
- Shantae
- Cave Story
- Dig Dug
- Frogger
- Kingdom Hearts
- Tekken
- King of Fighters
- Resident Evil
- Knola
- Rayman
- Assassins Creed
Nintendo
- ARMS

3rd Party
- Ace Attorney
- Shin Megami Tensei/Persona
- Professor Layton

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
As in general?
Nintendo:
-ARMS
-Golden Sun
-Chibo Robo
-Rhythm Heaven

3rd Party:
-Rayman/Rabbids
-Kingdom Hearts
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Crash Bandicoot
-Tekken

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Nintendo
- Panel De Pon
- Sin and punishment
- Fossil Fighters
- The Prince Sable game?
- Pushmo
- Nintendo LABO

3rd & Indie
- Shantae
- Cave Story
- Dig Dug
- Frogger
- Kingdom Hearts
- Tekken
- King of Fighters
- Resident Evil
- Knola
- Rayman
- Assassins Creed
Nintendo:
- Golden Sun
- Rhythm Heaven
- ARMS

Third Party:
- Devil May Cry
- Tales of (Symphonia)
- The World Ends With You

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a topic, what characters do you fear getting the Isaac treatment (included in minor role one game, entirely gone in the next?)

For me that's Gardevoir. I like being ablet make use of it's reflect in battle so for it to be gone entirely would suck.

Plus if it is in Pokeball form, it means I can be free of false hope sooner.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think I'm one of those people you're talking about, haha.

For me, because most of what I've always wanted is already on the roster, there are only so many additions left that would make me personally excited. For me, my favorite Nintendo franchises are Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and Super Mario (well, and Punch-Out!!, but I think that's perfectly fine with just Little Mac...though I wouldn't complain about more, haha). It's just by coincidence that those three franchises have the most characters on the roster. :p But considering my favorite picks for new Mario characters are both out of the running now (RIP Waluigi and Captain Toad), Pokémon and Fire Emblem are the ones I like discussing the most. Having huge casts of characters also helps. I'd take more Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters over more Kirby, Metroid, and Star Fox any day.

Yeah, there are some characters I'd love to see from other already-represented franchises, like Isabelle or Daruk (at this point I'd take any Goron though), but they're more of outliers. And when it comes to unrepresented Nintendo series, the few I'd love to see get characters very likely won't. Mach Rider and Muddy Mole are in retro hell, Starfy is an Assist again, and Henry Fleming's game bombed in Japan and underperformed elsewhere, barely selling 200k worldwide. The Chorus Kids are the only outlier here that I'd like to see.

Third parties are exciting to talk about though. Crash Bandicoot, Frogger, and Maxwell would be terrific additions, as would someone like Lara Croft.

So for me, it's mainly because most of my favorites are already in, so when thinking of newcomers I just go with what I really want, regardless of chance. It's just that my favorite franchises are the ones that already have a lot of characters.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be surprised if an Octopath Traveler character makes it in as DLC in the future.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
blaziken is weird because he's a cross series echo, which we assume would not be allowed, but after chrom who knows what the rules on echo fighters are. I'd just think black shadow would still be chosen over blaziken as he could literally just be melee ganondorf.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So what do you guys think this other blurred thing on the right side is going to be?
View attachment 157949
Challenges

The Smash 4 wait was only bad once the first trailer came out

Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 kept many patient

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm all for equal opportunity in regards to franchises, but you have to admit that in terms of recent IPs, the timing of dev didn't allow much legroom this time. Besides new Xenoblade stuff, the Switch era so far has Labo, ARMS, and, well, that's about it. At most I'd expect characters from those as DLC.

In the meantime, it would be good for things like Golden Sun to have a clear presence, somehow. It would do a lot for people who are saddened about portable systems that barely have anyone from them in Smash.

While I do give more support for established series, it's mostly the ones that could use more characters (Donkey Kong, Wario). Although I am not sure if ones like R.O.B. and Pikmin can get a chance to receive new people.

Also, third parties beyond the ones already accounted for in Brawl/4/Ultimate are an exciting prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom