• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So is he still reliable? Do we all think Skull Kid is still going to be in?
I'm not sure but keep an ear out for any news of a body being found with "N" shaped shurikens embedded in it.
That means Nintendo's legal team got to him.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Huh? Did the reply order get messed up for anyone else? I've got a reply I just made above one I made 5 minutes ago
It happened to me, too. Posts from 13 minutes ago appear under the ones from 7 minutes ago. Weird.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I'm not sure but keep an ear out for any news of a body being found with "N" shaped shurikens embedded in it.
That means Nintendo's legal team go to him.
If Nintendo took his old account down doesn’t that make him more reliable? Or could it be that the mods/admins there took it down foe whatever reason? Why does nothing but Gothitelle debate happen when I’m awake but a major leaker gets taken down when I’m asleep?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who wouldn't be overwhelmed with 200+ characters, but I'm already feeling overwhelmed with 100+ stages?

Like if Ultimate had a roster of 100 after dlc and such, that would be amazing and I'd be happy. Stages though? I get anxiety just from looking at that massive Stage Selection Screen lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Recently, though we are on a new page, so it would be fixed I guess (hope).
Very odd.
I posted a trouble ticket just to be safe.

On the subject of DLC here's how I think it will go at first.

Inital Teaser (March-E3): Spring-Man & Ribbon Girl
E3: Fire Emblem 3 Houses character (cue the salt)/Rex & Pyra and new third party character.
Bonus: Echo fighter released for free (Octoling?)
End of Year: Gen 8 Pokemon

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean *brand* new ones like Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Fire Emblem 3 houses lords and Gen 8 Pokemon as opposed to characters that were summoned by the arcane forces of the ballot.
I could honestly see this happening. DLC is too much of a cash grab for them to pass up, especially now that literally every major new release for the Switch has had it or rolling updates. Just as well because, with a close to or over 80 character roster, patches will have to happen for this game to have a healthy lifespan. My guess: 4 DLC characters, one for every quarter of 2019 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Smash starting in March.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
They look so out of place texture wise, I get the nolstalgia but if I wanted the exact same
thing I would just go load up Smash 64.
I don't mind it, I just want Sector Z and Planet Zebes back. Come on Sakurai you're only 2 off from every n64 and you don't even need to update the textures!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Nintendo took his old account down doesn’t that make him more reliable? Or could it be that the mods/admins there took it down foe whatever reason? Why does nothing but Gothitelle debate happen when I’m awake but a major leaker gets taken down when I’m asleep?
A tragic combination of timezones and the fact that Gothitelle is just the right level of Sakurai logic to be plausible. See also: :ivysaur:, :4wiifit:, & :4robinm:(over :ultchrom:)

osby

Smash Obsessed
Very odd.
I posted a trouble ticket just to be safe.

On the subject of DLC here's how I think it will go at first.

Inital Teaser (March-E3): Spring-Man & Ribbon Girl
E3: Fire Emblem 3 Houses character (cue the salt)/Rex & Pyra and new third party character.
Bonus: Echo fighter released for free (Octoling?)
End of Year: Gen 8 Pokemon
That sounds nice (i want 8 player Smash with Fire Emblem).

Though, I think people are ignoring third party ĎLC probability.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Speaking of stages, Pokemon's selection can be a bit strange in terms of generations covered

Generic: Stadium 1 & Stadium 2 (can be Kanto and Johto respectivley given the games they're named after but it's nothing certain)
Sinnoh: Spear Pillar
Unova: Unova Pokemon League
Kalos: Kalos Pokemon League

The only region to completely miss out (assuming you buy that Stadium 2 is in Johto) is Hoenn. What stage would you want for Hoenn?

My picks
Fortree City (Tree house platforms with breakable bridges)
Sootopolis City (fight on islands, Groudon/Kyogre appear in background and cause havok)
Sky Tower (if only Kalos Pokemon League wasn't hogging Rayquaza)
If I were to choose stages I would pick Cerulean Cave to be Mewtwo's home stage and Mt. Silver to be Pokemon Trainer's. For Hoenn, Sootopolis City is definitely my choice.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Sorry if this has been asked, but would anyone be dissapointed if we only got 6 more stages, and thus 10 new stages in total (not including Battle Field/Final Destination)?

Personally 100+ stages is insane and I can't imagine complaining. I'm pretty sold on this is all of the returning stages, but would be surprised if this was all the new ones too.
10 stages is a fine amount, I'd obviously like more but 10 is certainly better than 4. In hindsight I kinda wish they'd have focused on adding more new stages than bringing back so many old ones

osby

Smash Obsessed
A tragic combination of timezones and the fact that Gothitelle is just the right level of Sakurai logic to be plausible. See also: :ivysaur:, :4wiifit:, & :4robinm:(over :ultchrom:)
I get Ivysaur, but Wii Fit was huge and Robin is just as main character as Chrom plus magic.

Gothitelle as an echo would have neither new moveset, recognasibility nor rounding of a character's moveset.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Am I the only one who wouldn't be overwhelmed with 200+ characters, but I'm already feeling overwhelmed with 100+ stages?

Like if Ultimate had a roster of 100 after dlc and such, that would be amazing and I'd be happy. Stages though? I get anxiety just from looking at that massive Stage Selection Screen lol.
You're not alone. At that point I'd pick Random for stages half the time. :p

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
For the love of Jesus, Allah, Buddha, or whoever you may or may not worship, can we not debate Gothitelle again? What about a relevant and fan requested character?

osby

Smash Obsessed
10 stages is a fine amount, I'd obviously like more but 10 is certainly better than 4. In hindsight I kinda wish they'd have focused on adding more new stages than bringing back so many old ones
This game focuses on old things hard: Veterans, old stages, even newcomers are mostly old requests.

Like, we got Splatoon, BotW, Odyssey and... that's pretty much it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I get Ivysaur, but Wii Fit was huge and Robin is just as main character as Chrom plus magic.

Gothitelle as an echo would have neither new moveset, recognasibility nor rounding of a character's moveset.
I meant in the fact that he's not doing as we expect.

Though it is hard to know when Sakurai logic starts and pure madness begins. Maybe at Gothitelle, who knows.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I disagree about Gothitelle. It's been stated in the past that the Pokemon Company choses and signs off on the playable Pokemon reps, usually because they act as advertising for the latest games at the time. Gothitelle would be a huge outlier because 1. it's not really popular and 2. it's not relevant. This is why Gardevoir would make sense thanks to the gen 3 remakes in 2015 plus Pokken but Gothitelle would almost come off as totally random.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I disagree about Gothitelle. It's been stated in the past that the Pokemon Company choses and signs off on the playable Pokemon reps, usually because they act as advertising for the latest games at the time. Gothitelle would be a huge outlier because 1. it's not really popular and 2. it's not relevant. This is why Gardevoir would make sense thanks to the gen 3 remakes in 2015 plus Pokken but Gothitelle would almost come off as totally random.
Honestly gardevoir doesn't make much sense either, with the success of Lucario and Greninja there's not much reason to look ahead again to a gen 7 pokemon, especially since gen 7 was only a year off from when the project plan was made.

D

Deleted member

Concept: we get three unique Pokemon newcomers. They are Sceptile, Samurott and Incineroar.
Everyone is happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I’m used to over 100 characters thanks to Lego games, I can handle multiple Smash characters
This game focuses on old things hard: Veterans, old stages, even newcomers are mostly old requests.

Like, we got Splatoon, BotW, Odyssey and... that's pretty much it.
Then you realize we probably have more Switch related stages than Smash 4 has Wii U stages (without dlc)

Zeox

Smash Champion
Sakurai confirms that he couldn't choose just one new pokemon for smash, so he added the whole 802 pokemons to the smash roster.

Luminario

Smash Lord
No one's saying we're not getting a Gen 7 Pokemon, just that a rep from Gen 3 and 5 make sense in the grand scheme of things. It's clear that the way characters are being chosen this time around is different from the times before.
Also in this situation Gothitelle is an echo. It'll take no time at all to add, it's just there for a Gen 5 rep.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai confirms that he couldn't choose just one new pokemon for smash, so he added the whole 802 pokemons to the smash roster.
Gen I Pokémon not majority? 0/110, blasphemy, not getting the game.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Concept: we get three unique Pokemon newcomers. They are Sceptile, Samurott and Incineroar.
Everyone is happy.
I would looove them but with limited spots I feel like the series is already well represented and other franchises should get some love. The most likely out of this two would obviously be Sceptile and Inceneroar, but Samurott would be cool too.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Please don't try to give me a stroke by comparing Ivysaur to Gothitelle.
You're not alone. At that point I'd pick Random for stages half the time. :p
I did that with 4 because I was already overwhelmed! I'm defintely going to do that again XD

I think it's because besides a few stages I might hate, I like playing on any stage really....there is away to select off stages for random right?

Speaking of Random...does anyone miss the original way characters were randomly selected in Melee? You selected of the CSS and you were assigned right then and there a random character. I love playing as lots of characters so I love picking random, but nothing ruins a match for me like being assigned a character I absolutely hate. I miss that compromise of randomization, but getting to redo it on the CSS if I wasn't happy. Wish that would come back but it doesn't look like it :/

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Random...does anyone miss the original way characters were randomly selected in Melee? You selected of the CSS and you were assigned right then and there a random character. I love playing as lots of characters so I love picking random, but nothing ruins a match for me like being assigned a character I absolutely hate. I miss that compromise of randomization, but getting to redo it on the CSS if I wasn't happy. Wish that would come back but it doesn't look like it :/
I feel the exact opposite, actually. Being able to change random by constantly selecting it kind of cheapens the appeal of random select for me. What does bother me about random is how Smash 4 prioritizes the default costume more than any of the alts because it makes random less random.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Okay, I think I should post who all I want for Smash Bros Ultimate since I don't think I have

Deathborn
Chibi Robo
Eggman
Mike Jones
Dante
Kazama Kiryu
Jehuty
Black Shadow (Echo)
Shadow (Echo)
Akuma (Echo)
Big Boss (Echo)
Vergil (Echo)
Jean (Echo)
Gooey (Echo)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Please don't try to give me a stroke by comparing Ivysaur to Gothitelle.
It's perfectly simple.
Both are Pokemon that were/could potentially be chosen for filling a role over raw fan demand.

Send me the medical bill

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Okay, I think I should post who all I want for Smash Bros Ultimate since I don't think I have

Deathborn
Chibi Robo
Eggman
Mike Jones
Dante
Kazama Kiryu
Jehuty
Black Shadow (Echo)
Shadow (Echo)
Akuma (Echo)
Big Boss (Echo)
Vergil (Echo)
Jean (Echo)
Gooey (Echo)
I am so sorry. What are your predictions?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd rather have another Gen 1 Pokemon than getting Gothitelle. Like, at least give me a Pokemon I don't hate, there's plenty of those to choose from

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
No one's saying we're not getting a Gen 7 Pokemon, just that a rep from Gen 3 and 5 make sense in the grand scheme of things. It's clear that the way characters are being chosen this time around is different from the times before.
Also in this situation Gothitelle is an echo. It'll take no time at all to add, it's just there for a Gen 5 rep.
It's perfectly simple.
Both are Pokemon that were/could potentially be chosen for filling a role over raw fan demand.

Send me the medical bill
Ok I'm keeping this brief because no one wants to hear my oppinions on this anymore.

So if no one's saying we aren't getting a Gen 7 rep, are you implying that we would get Gardevoir, Gothitelle and a Gen 7 rep??? A few months ago I was arguing for one more Pokemon newcomer now I'm arguing against 3??? Lol.

Also, not even specifically related to Gothitelle, but we can't say echos take "no time at all". Chrom and Dark Samus have shown us that time is being put into them to make them unique for what they are, and Gothitelle absolutely needs animation changes because her dress works nothing like Gardevoirs. Yes they don't take as much time as unique characters, but they still take time, time I don't see Sakurai wasting on a Pokemon newcomer no one wants when every single newcomer so far has been highly requested.

Finally, Ivysaur filled a role but is iconic. Gothitelle would fill a role and people wouldn't know who the hell she is, or why she's in the game.

Ok ok ok I'm gunna go on a different thread for a bit, sorry I really like Pokemon lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom