• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for this post!

This is what I usually get whenever I bring up Meowth or Team Rocket. It doesn’t matter what generation they are from. They are noteworthy and iconic and they withstood the test of time (appearing in 1,000+ episodes in 20 years) and I believe that they can provide fresh styles of fighting.

I know that Meowth, Arbok, and Weezing are not “hot ****” for their region/generation/whatever but they collectively, especially Meowth, are “hot ****” for the franchise as a whole and it’s thanks to the anime for overexposuring them.

View attachment 157927

View attachment 157928
View attachment 157929
View attachment 157930
View attachment 157931
View attachment 157932

I know in my heart that many people will hype over Team Rocket as a playable fighter in Smash.

The actual playable fighter would be Meowth… and his moveset involves scratching and throwing coins and teaming up with Pokémon that Jessie and James send out from the background.

And when Team Rocket wins a match, I want their victory pose to go like this.

View attachment 157933

Honestly... while Meowth and Team Rocket might not be a popular choice or heavily requested within the Smash community or the Pokémon community, I know in my heart that both communities will hype over them along with the rest of the Internet. I have to keep my faith strong that one day I will finally play as Meowth in Smash.
[/QUOTE]

I would be totally over joyed if Team Rocket joins! It would be great to see moves base from the anime over the years and maybe instead of Meowth just doing all the work that Jessie & James could do a few things behind the stage to cause trouble since they are evil. I love to see them have 6 Pokémon to just break the rules in Smash. I was just listening to Double Trouble when thinking about Team Rocket for Smash

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Maybe I speak a different English language than you, but the phrase "Turning out" is in by no means an end all be all statement.

If I say

"Man, my cake is turning out good"

Does that mean the cake I'm cooking is going to come out of the oven perfectly? No, it means at the time, it's good.

Your statement about "Well, we say the Stage Select Screen!" also makes zero sense.

If there's newcomers tied to new stages that we haven't seen yet then of ****ing course they're not going to show us those stages.

Riddle me this:

For 4 games now, Sakurai has ALWAYS centered his menus to the best of his ability.

Why this game now after doing the same pattern for 20 years would he break that and shove off 5 stages to the left without centering them?

"Because DLC" is not a valid argument when you could add DLC to it no matter where those stages ended up.

I mean, for ****s sake, he centered the friggen Smash Down menu, when that's probably not going to be what it even ends up looking like. The man has centering OCD bad.
Honestly I think the biggest indicator that this isn't all the stages is that there's only 4 new ones, that's an abysmal amount considering we already have 5 new characters with more on the way

Shroob

Sup?
Except there is. The word "total". Funny that you were suggesting I'm not speaking the same English as you and now we seem to be interpreting the word "total" differently.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/total

The bolded part is a pleonasm as far as I'm concerned, so yes, there is something to say that "103 is the final total".

If you end up being right and there are more hidden stages coming (assuming there's indeed no loss in translation), then I'd end up being highly confused by Sakurai's choices of words for this Direct.
And I'm not confused at all.

You don't even have to listen to what he says, you can look at it and see for yourself.

I already made a mockup as to why the SSS doesn't look right at all and in literally any other Smash game it'd be centered.

There are 0 menus in Smash's history that do not center themselves, even the 3DS one is perfectly square after the DLC button is added. To leave 6 gaps blank for 0 reasoning is mind boggling, and I highly, HIGHLY doubt they would limit themselves to only 6 stages instead of giving themselves a 2nd menu to work with.

There are WAY too many questions. People need to look at this with an open mind of "Maybe this isn't it. Maybe this IS just the total up to Dracula's Castle."

This entire scenario reminds me too goddamn much of "Up until now" when Lucas was revealed in Brawl, and everyone assumed that Ness was cut due to the wording.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Alright, these are the characters that I will be surprised if they are not in:
- Dixie (Diddie echo with DK recovery)
- Shadow (echo)
- Geno
- Isabelle (echo)
The rest could happen but I am not as 100% sure as these four.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
And I'm not confused at all.

You don't even have to listen to what he says, you can look at it and see for yourself.

I already made a mockup as to why the SSS doesn't look right at all and in literally any other Smash game it'd be centered.

There are 0 menus in Smash's history that do not center themselves, even the 3DS one is perfectly square after the DLC button is added. To leave 6 gaps blank for 0 reasoning is mind boggling, and I highly, HIGHLY doubt they would limit themselves to only 6 stages instead of giving themselves a 2nd menu to work with.

There are WAY too many questions. People need to look at this with an open mind of "Maybe this isn't it. Maybe this IS just the total up to Dracula's Castle."
How did the stage select screen look in the Smash Ultimate demo's, that was centered too right?

Edit: Just checked, they had a full rows and columns, oh well.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Did someone else besides me mention Poochy?
View attachment 157747

Also I find it slightly curious that the Woolly World stage is missing from the stage list. It very possible it was cut, but I don't see why. Orbital gate was suppose to be a giant time drain on development, Miiverse won't work due to Miiverse being discontinued, and jungle Hi-jinx might not work due to stage switching. What was so wrong with Woolly World?

its also possible that they just haven't shown off the stage yet, but why? Maybe to show off with a certain Woolly newcomer? That's a stretch but I'd like to dream.
I could see Yarn Yoshi getting in. I cannot see Poochy getting in, other than an assist.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Assuming they are going to bring back some of the 15 remaining stages as DLC, they are only going to pick stages people are willing to pay money for. I doubt many people would pay for stages like Rumble Falls and Mushroom Kingdom SSBM. My guesses:

- Mute City SSBM
- Poké Floats
- Rainbow Road
- Woolly World

Also wouldn't be surprised if they bring back Sector Z and Planet Zebes for the sake of completion.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would honestly find it odd for this to be all of the stages.

I'm not up to date with the last forty pages, but not having anymore new franchises would be extremely odd. Not to mention the stage select as we saw it was very sloppy. And while the CSS from Smash 3DS made it clear this isnt the winning argument, it is still sensible to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I would honestly find it odd for this to be all of the stages.

I'm not up to date with the last forty pages, but not having anymore new franchises would be extremely odd. Not to mention the stage select as we saw it was very sloppy. And while the CSS from Smash 3DS made it clear this isnt the winning argument, it is still sensible to me.
Melee only added three universes. This game might introduce only two, considering the parallels between them. Not that I think it is likely.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
There is no way they aren't going to have a Xenoblade X stage. That game was the most important game of the last Nintendo generation, the most ambitious Nintendo title until Breath of the Wild (which was partially builded on what X established). If they have Nikki and the Arcade Bunny as AT then we will see a Xenoblade X stage, no doubt about it. There is no chance they will completely skip over that game.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There is no way they aren't going to have a Xenoblade X stage. That game was the most important game of the last Nintendo generation, the most ambiutius Nintendo title until Breath of the Wild (which was partially builded on what X established). If they have Nikki and the Arcade Bunny as AT then we will see a Xenoblade X stage, no doubt about it. There is no chance they will completely skip over that game.
This is true, even if we don't get a character a stage really shouldn't be skipped on, especially since it's probably pretty easy to reuse assets from that game if they really wanted to which they likely did for the other new stages minus Dracula's Castle

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Going off by this, two more tabs fit nicely. There's definitely going to be more tabs, no reason to have a "normal" tab if there isn't.
The "Normal" is to indicate what version of the stage is, it changes to Battlefield and Omega when you turn those options on
Screenshot_20180815-091630.png

Catching up to this thread is exhausting AF...... I'm certain by now, everyone can attest to seeing me favorite many of their comments several pages back on a near daily basis. Does this place ever sleep? XD

ON a more on topic subject, I think this might be the full stage roster, partially for the reasons others have stated, and also because Sakurai stated every stage is gonna be availiabe from the start, which convinces me that the stage list we saw is what we're getting for the final game.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Catching up to this thread is exhausting AF...... I'm certain by now, everyone can attest to seeing me favorite many of their comments several pages back on a near daily basis. Does this place ever sleep? XD

ON a more on topic subject, I think this might be the full stage roster, partially for the reasons others have stated, and also because Sakurai stated every stage is gonna be availiabe from the start, which convinces me that the stage list we saw is what we're getting for the final game.
But in that case it really doesn't make sense to show off every single stage like 5 months before launch, plus I have a hard time believing we only have 4 new ones, that'd be mad disappointing and would require skipping out on a lot of major titles that released in the last few years

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well I don't think we'll hear anything about it until March next year at the earliest.

But here's how I think it'll go down.
  • The focus will be on Nintendo newcomers and 3rd parties who got on the boat late.
  • Echo fighters of existing characters in game will be added for free to those with a Nintendo online pass. They won't be unlocked instantly but will require a CHALLENGER APPROACHING battle to obtain
  • Echo Fighters of new characters will be packaged with them (and their stages, if any)
  • Some of the 15 missing stages will return as DLC. I'm thinking Rainbow Road and Woolly World will be likely candidates.
  • If we don't get suprised by him in the base game, Spring Man will be among them.

I dont understand the first point... what else could newcomers focus on than characters who did not make it? What other characters could there be then characters that didnt make it?

I agree on Echoes. I also think we will get a few more game modes in the coming months.
If we dont get break the targets, for example, that would be a perfect download.

Hell... part of me really things we *are* going to get a subspace like mode, except it will be serialized, with DLC as updates to keep people into the game, and perhaps a new download every few months for a year or two.
I'm also hoping that for the first time ever, we get items as DLC.

Melee only added three universes. This game might introduce only two, considering the parallels between them. Not that I think it is likely.
Firstly, Melee didnt "only add three," they "Managed to add three!"
I dont accept any comparisons to melee, that game had five minutes in development.

Not to mention, tech standards from 2001 are not tech standards for 2018.

Is it possible... sure, all things are. Is it plausible? Barely.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd like to see a Johto Pokemon Trainer, but I really doubt that'll happen.

I mean, I'd like to see Pokemon from other gens as well, but I'm not going to shut down potential awesome picks from gen 1 just because they're from the first generation. I'd love to play: Alakazam, Gengar or Snorlax. Especially Snorlax, that'd be interesting.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Sorry if this has been asked, but would anyone be dissapointed if we only got 6 more stages, and thus 10 new stages in total (not including Battle Field/Final Destination)?

Personally 100+ stages is insane and I can't imagine complaining. I'm pretty sold on this is all of the returning stages, but would be surprised if this was all the new ones too.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd like to see a Johto Pokemon Trainer, but I really doubt that'll happen.

I mean, I'd like to see Pokemon from other gens as well, but I'm not going to shut down potential awesome picks from gen 1 just because they're from the first generation. I'd love to play: Alakazam, Gengar or Snorlax. Especially Snorlax, that'd be interesting.
Who is the character you have in your signature, between Dixie and Skull Kid?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Anyone else wish the N64 stages were remade?

They look so out of place texture wise, I get the nolstalgia but if I wanted the exact same
thing I would just go load up Smash 64.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry if this has been asked, but would anyone be dissapointed if we only got 6 more stages, and thus 10 new stages in total (not including Battle Field/Final Destination)?
Not at all. We got all the srs bsns stages back most of which are going to be banned for no reason this time and my favorite dumb casual stages are back. I am not bothered by low amounts of new stages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Stage talk? I'm totally okay with 103 being the final number because that's already an absurd number of stages anyways, especially with all the FD and BF variations too to boot and how a lot of stages are practically new again because 1. they've been missing for years and 2. they are now in glorious HD. For example, does Star Fox Zero really NEED stage representation? Tropical Freeze? Kirby Star Allies? Samus Returns? The thematic elements of a vast majority of the franchises represented are pretty well covered and the few exceptions like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are wholly justified.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Stage talk? I'm totally okay with 103 being the final number because that's already an absurd number of stages anyways, especially with all the FD and BF variations too to boot and how a lot of stages are practically new again because 1. they've been missing for years and 2. they are now in glorious HD. For example, does Star Fox Zero really NEED stage representation? Tropical Freeze? Kirby Star Allies? Samus Returns? The thematic elements of a vast majority of the franchises represented are pretty well covered and the few exceptions like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are wholly justified.
If we get a new franchise, it would be nice for a new stage to accompany it.
I think we all want to order the Castlevania platter.

Yeah, Richter Belmont was certainly great dessert...

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
He can't do the Kamehameha though, or Kaioken if that were to be in Goku's moveset. They really don't fight anything alike or share any techniques beyond going Super Saiyan and standard ki blasts.
Are you telling me that Kamehameha and Galick Gun...have differences besides color? Because that would be news to me.

Don’t fight anything alike? Weird how their punches seem to collide with each other in the exact same stances so often.

That would only work if his moveset was purely generic Dragon Ball Z and they change the animations on the specials. Just wouldn't feel right.
Seriously? Goku has 2 attacks no one else has. Kaioken(only unique animated part is the red aura) and spirit bomb, which shows him gather energy to make a large orb(Frieza and Cooler can use Supernova with a finger and it looks like a red/yellow spirit bomb).

Galick gun is legit just a purple Kamehameha except he holds his hands out differently.

Final flash....different color, holds hands out differently, looks a little more like a cone.

There are so many moves that really just shouldn’t be called anything other than “alternate color Kamehameha” making Vegeta a Goku echo would be SUPER easy.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Are you telling me that Kamehameha and Galick Gun...have differences besides color? Because that would be news to me.

Don’t fight anything alike? Weird how their punches seem to collide with each other in the exact same stances so often.
Vegeta and Goku are nothing alike

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not at all. We got all the srs bsns stages back most of which are going to be banned for no reason this time and my favorite dumb casual stages are back. I am not bothered by low amounts of new stages.
For some reason, Hanenbow comes to my mind while reading this.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
While 103 is a very respectable amount of stages. Having just 4 new stages overall is a bit disappointing. I wouldn't be that upset if we didn't get anymore considering we did get some returning stages I wanted like Brinstar Depths and Fountain of Dreams, but I would still like to see a few more new stages.

That said DLC is a good opportunity to bring in some new stages with less pressure on working on the entire game.

Since we're on the topic of stages.

These would be my Top 5 Most Wanted Stages
-Phendrana Drifts/Skytown (Metroid Prime Trilogy)
-Clock Town (Majora's Mask)
-Tetris
-Noctilum (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
-Mario Strikers

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I dont understand the first point... what else could newcomers focus on than characters who did not make it? What other characters could there be then characters that didnt make it?
I mean *brand* new ones like Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Fire Emblem 3 houses lords and Gen 8 Pokemon as opposed to characters that were summoned by the arcane forces of the ballot.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Goku certainly would be a surprise.

And an extreme disappointment.

Cant someone else just Make Nintendo x Shonen Jump?

I mean *brand* new ones like Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Fire Emblem 3 houses lords and Gen 8 Pokemon as opposed to characters that were summoned by the arcane forces of the ballot.
I suppose Captain Toad would fit that bill...

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Vegeta and Goku are nothing alike
Personality wise? Sure. Can you elaborate what they do different from each other mechanically?
Like I get for story purposes Vegeta is the “tactician” but when exactly does he do that in battle?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I suppose Captain Toad would fit that bill...
In terms of characters who made their name after Smash 4, yeah along with Elma and Generation 7 Pokemon if for whatever reason they're passed over on base roster.

And Toadette can fill in for him on stage ^_^
"Here I go!"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For some time recently, I've been thinking about how Daisy somehow got enough clout to get in the game as one of the very first official Echo Fighters, and it clicked with me:

The mobile phone game Super Mario Run, which can be considered a "main" entry in the Super Mario series, despite being an infinite runner.

This would make sense. Given that Daisy became available to unlock in the September 2017 update, this seemed to be grounds for justifying her inclusion as an easily-developed Echo made on short notice.

Goku certainly would be a surprise.

And an extreme disappointment.

Cant someone else just Make Nintendo x Shonen Jump?
I'd rather see Sakurai be daring enough to bring in the one from Yuyuki. I mean, the game did get referenced in Kirby twice, after all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom