• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Cloud's the face of Final Fantasy and can basically print money.

Geno's from one Mario spin-off who's only really popular in our community.
Cloud creator was also hesitant of accepting Sakurai offer as well but decided to give okay when he realized that it's Smash after all.

D

Deleted member

There is one part of the stream where Sakurai said "We prioritize nostalgia"... which makes me believe more classic old characters are coming... which makes me believe Geno is coming.
That was literally in reference to the N64 stages, how far do you guys have to reach?
Well, Dark Samus did it.
Dark Samus is an Echo, not an unique character.
People keep commenting on Skull Kid, Magnus, Phosphora etc not being shown as Assists but they can't work as Echoes of other characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There is one part of the stream where Sakurai said "We prioritize nostalgia"... which makes me believe more classic old characters are coming... which makes me believe Geno is coming.
Pretty sure that was in regards to the Smash 64 stages on why they didn't get a big graphical overhaul like the rest of the returning stages.
Unless I missed something during the Direct...

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
How is picking from characters that fans actually want "limiting"?
It's extremely limiting and would make for an incredibly boring roster. I mean, those are the characters a majority of fans want, not every fan. Using myself as an example, Chrom is the only character I cared about from the newcomers.

A roster made from what fans want would've never seen the likes of Mr. Game and Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, retro characters, etc. (Simon wasn't a popular pick before verg)
I'd rather have a healthy mix of popular and interesting characters than a bunch of crowd-pleasers that don't really bring anything new to the roster. Inklings have the ink stuff, Simon has the longest range, but Ridley and K.rool? They're fine representations of their characters, but they're very straightforward.

Smash should never focus solely on what we want at the moment, but also to whatever they have stored for us in the future and the many hidden gems through their history.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Random news, but Super Smash Flash 2 just announced Simon as a newcomer! ...which is unfortunate for them since they were hoping it’d be unique but Sakurai stole their thunder just a couple days prior, R.I.P....

Zeox

Smash Champion
Oh, another interesting detail, the Helicopter from Fourside has been remade to look more like how it did in Earthbound than how it looked in Meele.
heli23.jpg
Fourside2_zps3d5932db.jpg

heli2.jpg

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm sure that it'll just end in time or reopen characters at the very end. What would happen if you do that before unlocking all characters? Or downloading a single DLC?

It's like the CSS - we want it to work perfectly, but it won't.
Unlocking characters - DUH. That makes sense, I don't know why we didn't think of that before. The only thing going against that is if we think it's like All-Star mode and can't be played until after all the characters are unlocked. Yea, don't see it happening.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's extremely limiting and would make for an incredibly boring roster. I mean, those are the characters a majority of fans want, not every fan. Using myself as an example, Chrom is the only character I cared about from the newcomers.

A roster made from what fans want would've never seen the likes of Mr. Game and Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, retro characters, etc. (Simon wasn't a popular pick before verg)
I'd rather have a healthy mix of popular and interesting characters than a bunch of crowd-pleasers that don't really bring anything new to the roster. Inklings have the ink stuff, Simon has the longest range, but Ridley and K.rool? They're fine representations of their characters, but they're very straightforward.

Smash should never focus solely on what we want at the moment, but also to whatever they have stored for us in the future and the many hidden gems through their history.
Well, we already have a lot of zanny characters... but we have a lot of popular characters, too.

Overall, I agree, I'm glad so many people are getting their favourites and I cannot complaint about that but by their own, I'm kinda less excited for newcomers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

K. Rool and Ridley have been requested since the early Brawl days though
While I wasn't there for the Brawl speculation days, I was definitely there for the Wii U ones, and yeah, Ridley and K. Rool were huge.

Plus, just because a character is popular doesn't mean they're boring or don't bring anything new to the table. Ridley and K. Rool are proving quite the contrary, actually, as those two look super unique. While I am an advocate of Smash characters bringing something new to the table, I don't think a requirement for a character should be them having to bring some wacky new gimmick with them. Is stuff like that fun? I personally believe so, but I don't think that should be the focus either. Just because a character choice is quirky and weird doesn't mean it's necessarily good, in my own personal opinion.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Selfish I know but I wanted to challenge myself real fast hope you like it!

No one knows this game that's why I did it.

Sliver the Hedgehog and DK guys are coming, if anyone is interested

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Selfish I know but I wanted to challenge myself real fast hope you like it!

No one knows this game that's why I did it.

Sliver the Hedgehog and DK guys are coming, if anyone is interested
I read that as "Zack and Cody" and instantly had memories of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

God that show was my jam

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Random news, but Super Smash Flash 2 just announced Simon as a newcomer! ...which is unfortunate for them since they were hoping it’d be unique but Sakurai stole their thunder just a couple days prior, R.I.P....
I had a feeling Simon would have been planned a while ago by McLeod, but Simon’s reveal in Ultimate lessened the potential impact.

McLeod probably has Skull Kid and Geno too in their roster, but soon the impact of their reveal will be less than of Ultimate's.

It is kind of unfortunate.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Yeah gotta agree, the only newcomers I'm interested in is Chrom, and Inklings.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think there's a single newcomer I'm not hype for actually.

Maybe not super hype for Chrom but Daisy's my preferred Mario princess, those squid kids are fresh, Castlevania should have been in Smash years ago and we got three big bad villains.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

I mean there has to be a Direct to talk about this soon right? They still don't even have a release date yet.

The online service currently looks pretty lame, but maybe they can incentivize us with an Ultimate Demo? I don't expect them to go an entire Direct without anything Smash related (they are banking on only Smash for the holiday) so there's a good possibility that we'll get another reveal relatively soon. (Up to a month.)

Also, if a September Direct is becoming more and more likely then maybe we'll get an Elma reveal to tie into the XC2 DLC.
Eh, there will probably be a Smashless direct in September, and it will be only focused on the Online. They will probably try to convince us how great it is. Remember that while we love all of the Smash stuff, a decent sized part of the Nintendo community doesn't like seeing so much focus on Smash Bros, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have another long drought before we get new info.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Wait, Wolf was hated at some point? I figured a WTF like R.O.B. would be and I've heard all about Corrin but... Wolf? Really?

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
If we do end up having a Kid Icarus character, fans will probably straight up ignore the fact that they can be popular like they did with Dark Pit.

Also, as much as I like unconventional newcomers, after so many fan favourites, they'll probably greeted by a bigger ****show than R.O.B., Wolf and Corrin combined.
Which is ironic seeing how people clamored for Wolf to come back after he was gone in Smash 4...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait, Wolf was hated at some point? I figured a WTF like R.O.B. would be and I've heard all about Corrin but... Wolf? Really?
Oh, boy... People loathed him because last secret character in Brawl was just another Fox clone and not Krystal.
This just goes to show sometimes Sakurai knows what Smash fans want better than them. Sometimes.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If we do end up having a Kid Icarus character, fans will probably straight up ignore the fact that they can be popular like they did with Dark Pit.

Also, as much as I like unconventional newcomers, after so many fan favourites, they'll probably greeted by a bigger ****show than R.O.B., Wolf and Corrin combined.
Wolf was given ****? People sure know how to regret bad decisions in life...also Dark Pit = Ow the Edge but with calming Spainish like music
It's treason then...
No it isn’t, and I’ll make sure it never does...unless it’s for Viridi/Medusa/Hades
Oh, boy... People loathed him because last secret character in Brawl was just another Fox clone and not Krystal.
This just goes to show sometimes Sakurai knows what Smash fans want better than them. Sometimes.
Most times
Which is ironic seeing how people clamored for Wolf to come back after he was gone in Smash 4...
:ultroy::ultwolf: made sure people would miss them while they were gone...having them realize how stupid their hatred for the two were in the process

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
He got a lot of heat during the Brawl days for being "another Fox clone" instead of Krystal.
Despite the fact that Wolf is about as different from Fox as Luigi is from Mario, maybe even more so.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Had a thought recently - if Namco gets a second rep what if its Jin Kazama as Tekken but also Kazuya Mishima is in the game as Jin's Echo
It's possible, but Jin's moveset did drastically change in Tekken 4. Unless they give him his original T3 moveset, the echo idea would be less jarring if they go with Kazuya and Heihachi. Again, unless Jin gets the T3 moveset, then 2 of the 3 could be an echo of another.

But I don't know if we're getting even 1 Tekken character, let alone pulling something like the Belmonts with the Mishimas.

D

Deleted member

Eh, there will probably be a Smashless direct in September, and it will be only focused on the Online. They will probably try to convince us how great it is. Remember that while we love all of the Smash stuff, a decent sized part of the Nintendo community doesn't like seeing so much focus on Smash Bros, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have another long drought before we get new info.
I gotta agree with this. There are definitely people who have NOT been happy with the Smash focus lately and are starting to get sick of how much Nintendo is pushing it, so I could see Nintendo doing a general Direct soon here to reassure people that there's more than just Smash in the pipeline. My best guess is that the next Smash news drop will be the final big one, and it'll happen around mid-to-late October. I was thinking November, but I think that's cutting it a little too close, considering the game comes out the first week of December. An October Direct revealing the secret mode, showcasing the final fighters and announcing some kind of public demo event seems like the best way to build some final pre-release hype and keep all eyes on the game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If it’s just quotas, then it’s Medusa Vs Captain Syrup.

But neither of them are particularly likely.
Medusa has a slight edge on Captain Syrup, but still lives in the shadow of Hades and Viridi (and probably over Pandora)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom