• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yesterday I mentioned the theory that, because of Smashdown, the final roster (save for 2/3 of the Pokemon Trainer, and all 3 Mii Fighters) would have to be a number divisible by 2, 3, and 4. This would mean the roster would have to be a number that is a sum of 12. (12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84, 96, etc)

Here's my question though: Does anyone know if Smashdown must be played with 4 people? Or if it's filled in by CPUs? if it always has 4 players regardless, then that would hypothetically lead to more diverse roster totals.

The only reason I'm hinging on this theory is that Smashdown wouldn't function properly if it wasn't evenly divided among all three numbers (2, 3, 4). If anybody has any thoughts on that I'd be very appreciative of it!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Does anyone have any old polls for character wants during Brawl and 4 hype times?

After the two big bad reptiles, Simon and the echos got in, I want to see how many characters there are still to go.

Off the top of my head, Banjo Kazooie, Geno and Isaac.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I'm calling it, the last newcomer reveal will be the one related to Microsoft, the trailer starts in a similar way as Cloud's, with Smash X Microsoft and some epic music in the background, then, the atomic bomb: Banjo. I would mark out sooo hard and I haven't even played his game ever.
Yup this is almost my exact prediction as well. Vergeben said a while ago that he heard there'd be Minecraft representation of some time (though I don't think it will be a character), and if Nintendo/Sakurai are willing to work with Microsoft I have trouble believing he wouldn't take the opportunity to make Banjo&Kazooie happen

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Given the trend here, I'm not even sure we'll even get a relatively low-popularity newcomer character for Ultimate unless they can be an echo fighter. The game has truly changed for Ultimate.
Despite all we've gotten, I'm still playing it safe and assuming we've already seen the best. I'd hate to end Ultimate on a low note because I set my expectations too high after Ridley and K. Rool.

I could end up being wrong, but so far, setting my expectations low has paid off phenomenally.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Agreed, like...

It's surreal seeing them on the website in the Metroid and DK sections respectively:

Even seeing FOUR Metroid characters is ridiculous!

And K. Rool's even in the slideshow in the character section!

It's like he's saying "take your relevancy and shove it!"

Even seeing them in the newcomer's section in the Smash Wiki is pretty wild.

I just love how decayed and rough Ridley and K. Rool looks in this game.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Also Richter being popular in Japan, while it might be true, is also barely unfluential because Castlevania is a niche series over there. Ganbare Goemon/Legend of the Mystical Ninja is the second Konami franchise in Japan.
I'm pretty sure Goemon loses to PowerPros Baseball (which indeed has gotten requests for Smash) as the 'second franchise' but that's also a matter of when you're talking about.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Not sure if this has been posted but I thought it was interesting.
About a month ago, someone on NeoGAF posted this(now deleted) leak
Soren as a Robin Echo? He has no access to swords, only knives in PoR. It makes no sense when Celica, who does use swords and magic, exists. Unless he became the Echo with the biggest differences and they somehow change all the sword animations to magic, I can't believe it.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday I mentioned the theory that, because of Smashdown, the final roster (save for 2/3 of the Pokemon Trainer, and all 3 Mii Fighters) would have to be a number divisible by 2, 3, and 4. This would mean the roster would have to be a number that is a sum of 12. (12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84, 96, etc)

Here's my question though: Does anyone know if Smashdown must be played with 4 people? Or if it's filled in by CPUs? if it always has 4 players regardless, then that would hypothetically lead to more diverse roster totals.

The only reason I'm hinging on this theory is that Smashdown wouldn't function properly if it wasn't evenly divided among all three numbers (2, 3, 4). If anybody has any thoughts on that I'd be very appreciative of it!
I think your banking on the divisible number too much, don't think it matters too much imo. They can just end it when there are not enough fighters to choose anymore, or make it so the best players in the smashdown brawl it out one last time with the remaining 2/3.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Sakurai would probably have a lot of explaining to do if he put 2 of 3 long standing fan requests in the game, stopped at Geno and said ''Nah."
Sakurai pulls the "Square Enix didn't let me add him" card and people would believe it after seeing that FF only have 2 freaking songs in the whole game.
Last Smash he let people know that he was interested in adding Geno but for some reason that he didn't say, he couldn't add him.
Still, I trust in Sakurai and in this Roster, Geno must be in.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m 99% confident in Skull Kid now, everything is pointing towards his inclusion and I think he may be what prevented Ashley and Takamaru due to them likely wanting to focus on one Assist Trophy (Dark samus and Isabelle are exceptions since they likely would have taken significantly less resources to make)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thanks.

So from Poll #1, the only Top Tier (400+ votes) one left not playable in the game is Dixie Kong but of the high tier (300-400), only Roy has been added as playable while Simon Belmont, Chrom and Dark Samus are all in the mid tier ([200-300] along with the Inklings).

The High tiers that aren't discounted are: Bandanna Dee, Black Shadow, Isaac, Kamek, Paper Mario, Impa and Banjo Kazooie.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I think your banking on the divisible number too much, don't think it matters too much imo. They can just end it when there are not enough fighters to choose anymore, or make it so the best players in the smashdown brawl it out one last time with the remaining 2/3.
Second on the end it when there aren't enough characters. Also idk why everyone is limiting it to 4. There's no reason it couldn't go up to 8 players now that 8 player and Smash are the same (which I absolutely love by the way, no more stage limitations!).

Take it from someone who bases predictions off website backgrounds and CSS aesthetic, this isn't a good way to predict our total number of characters (not to mention dlc would throw it off anyway...).

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman

Right now there are 73 fighters so if your theory is correct then likely there will be 84 fighters overall. My 4+4 theory would make the roster go to 81 so maybe there is a possibility 5 more Newcomers and 5 Echos or 4 Newcomers and 6 Echos remaining

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I'm sure that it'll just end in time or reopen characters at the very end. What would happen if you do that before unlocking all characters? Or downloading a single DLC?

It's like the CSS - we want it to work perfectly, but it won't.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I knew Smash Ultimate was gonna be a nod to the fans but yoo Sakurai SNAPPED, I commend the team because they've been working so hard. I don't have any particular newcomers that I want but seeing all of these notable characters and everyone's faves is really dope.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ugh not more Kid Icarus please, Pit is so annoying, his voice everything!

3 reps is more than enough imo.

Biggest mistake other than dark pit would have to be adding in Jigglypuff over Meowth when they had the chance
If we are getting another KI character (Which at this point I HIGHLY doubt) my money is on Viridi, but I don’t think we’ll get a character because is she really that big of a request?
A9148754-FF47-448B-8855-86ECD76771F6.png
2. maybe, and she is pretty popular...also the best goddess
People are saying that Emily Rogers (who has leaked accurate stuff before) is saying there’s another KI rep, but so far there’s no link to the claim.

I’m not really buying it tbh
I buy cause I want

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Actually, if we believe both the Toby leaker (who got Simon, K. Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus playable and Ashley + Mimikyu as AT/pokeball) and Loz18 (the Directs leaks), then the remaining newcomers would be Rayman, Skull Kid, Black Shadow and Funky Kong. Rayman would fill the mysterious third-party that Loz18 mentioned many times. And also the fact that there could be only two remaining unique newcomers (Skull Kid being "highly likely").
Which would give us 77 characters, minus Mii Fighters and the two Pokemon from the trainer, we reach 72.
Food for thoughts.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Bro, where's Viridi. I want Chrom to show her he's not a carbon copy... of Ike.
Same, then he gets roasted only to take out her, Palutena, and Captain Falcon (while Pit, Lucina, and the Robins all watch from afar)

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai would probably have a lot of explaining to do if he put 2 of 3 long standing fan requests in the game, stopped at Geno and said ''Nah."

Also as much as I like Terra? I really can't see her getting in. Everything so far has said ''Final Fantasy 7." is the only Final Fantasy in the game.

I feel like if Geno isn't getting in? We'd get a Dragon Quest rep or something else for Square.
Honestly Square seems to be very conservative especially with Final Fantasy VII still only having 2 songs on Midgar. But lets be honest if Sakurai took the time to obtain Geno as a mii costume back Smash DLC, he's gotta be planning on making him playable for fans.

D

Deleted member

A new Kid Icarus newcomer?
I do not see that happening.
I think the newcomers are going to be mostly fanservice, like King K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, etc.

I think we will get one or two obscure fighters, but their odds are less.

I think Geno's odds are very high at this point.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
New KI rep? Have Phosphora and Magnus have both been seen as assist trophies?
Not yet
I think the newcomers are going to be mostly fanservice, like King K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, etc.

If we’re getting more villians and females, Medusa fills both quotas

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The High tiers that aren't discounted are: Bandanna Dee, Black Shadow, Isaac, Kamek, Paper Mario, Impa and Banjo Kazooie.
I think people are seriously sleeping on Paper Mario. Not only does he do relatively well on polls, most of his competition is out of the way at this point and the timing of the roster couldn't have been better for the guy.

The only thing that's holding him back, IMO, is the limited amount of unique newcomers this time.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I mean, Mii Fighters weren't even shown there. Doesn't mean they won't be there by the time the game comes, but it makes me wonder why they were not there.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I can see Medusa happening as an echo if Sakurai wants to bring back some of the remaining custom moves Palutena didn't bring back from Smash 4.
I personally don't mind having her in.

Last edited:

Nielicus

Smash Lord

Idk if this trend of villains getting in continues, I could see Hades happening. Isn't he a bit popular?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
In light of the recent direct, do you guys think that Elma has a chance at this point?
Yes.

There are bound to be characters like Elma that Sakurai adds for having unique and different playstyles. I doubt the entire newcomer list will be only fan favorites. And Elma is one of the most likely new characters.

Same things goes for a Gen 7 Pokémon.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ok, here's a question. Do you guys think this'll be the only Smash Bros. Direct or will they do another? Considering how much they apparently have left to show off, including that mysterious (hopefully story) made, I think it's possible we may get another Smash Direct around release. What do you guys think?
If it's like last time, probably another direct like the 50 facts thing, much closer to release. If not, then the last few characters will be shown in other directs like they occasionally were with Smash 4.

Dracula Jr., that's the one that wasn't shown and that's all that wasn't shown.

Spirits is probably related to [monster hunter dragon i always forget the name of] because he said it was boss character, but not what kind of boss character. You obviously have bosses like Metal Face, but it could be related to Spirits (or maybe even Classic mode). I hope current stage hazard bosses like Metal Face and the Find Mii antagonist get expanded upon.

Actually, I do have one.

Will the Final Smash Meter be viable for competitive play?
I'd like to argue that it's dependent on certain characters and certain Final Smashes. If it's allowed, :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy: will skyrocket in the competitive scene for how Critical Hit will still OHKO you. And some inescapable (or near inescapable) final smashes like :ultsonic::ultbowserjr::ultgnw: may play a large favor in their endgame as well. I find this pretty interesting since a lot of people are 50/50 on it.
The game's still not in the final build, so we'll see just how crazy the Final Smashes will still be in Meter mode. I'm hoping it'll be toned down again so it's more likely to be seen in high-level play. Mario's doesn't seem so bad, and neither does Samus' but Marth's could be an issue.

Zeox

Smash Champion
There is one part of the stream where Sakurai said "We prioritize nostalgia"... which makes me believe more classic old characters are coming... which makes me believe Geno is coming.

D

Deleted member

I think people are looking way too much into missing ATs, besides the obvious candidates(Isabelle and Shadow), I don't see them adding anyone else from the pool. If Waluigi didn't make it, no one else is popular enough to make the jump.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think people are looking way too much into missing ATs, besides the obvious candidates(Isabelle and Shadow), I don't see them adding anyone else from the pool. If Waluigi didn't make it, no one else is popular enough to make the jump.
Well, Dark Samus did it.

D

Deleted member

It's treason then...
The game's still not in the final build, so we'll see just how crazy the Final Smashes will still be in Meter mode. I'm hoping it'll be toned down again so it's more likely to be seen in high-level play. Mario's doesn't seem so bad, and neither does Samus' but Marth's could be an issue.
Smash meter mode was a really cool choice. Good for competitive players who like Final Smashes.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we do end up having a Kid Icarus character, fans will probably straight up ignore the fact that they can be popular like they did with Dark Pit.

Also, as much as I like unconventional newcomers, after so many fan favourites, they'll probably greeted by a bigger ****show than R.O.B., Wolf and Corrin combined.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
There is one part of the stream where Sakurai said "We prioritize nostalgia"... which makes me believe more classic old characters are coming... which makes me believe Geno is coming.
That was for the Smash 64 stages, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom