• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Also I have a strange theory. If Luigi's Vacuum has a redesign... does this mean that there's been a Luigi's Mansion game that was being developed in 2015? If so, are the games that have been in development hell since 2015 that may be releasing soon? I think that Miyamoto has actually answered a question in a Smosh interview (Yes, that Smosh of all things) saying that they were trying to find ways to implement new control schemes into F-Zero. So there might have been an F-Zero game like that stuck in a loop for a while if this holds true. Otherwise, it could just be a redesign for the sake of a redesign.. Like they did with Captain Falcon since his GX design is toned down a lot.
Honestly, I find it weird that they'd change the Poltergust at all.

If it's made specifically for Smash, then why? That's such a weird and specific change for something that didn't really need it. If it's from an unrevealed sequel, how did Sakurai even know what it would look like? Did he get early access, and if so, why Luigi's Mansion of all games?

I feel like this is something more people should be bringing up, particularly those who want to make a case for characters who debuted in 2016 and beyond. If Sakurai got an early look at a game coming out in 2019, who's to say he didn't get early access to a game released in 2017?

To be fair the was a lot of opposition to Switch-era characters pre-E3 already. There was just the possibility, which got pretty much shot down when we learned of the project proposal date.

Otherwise yea we were basing our predictions off how Smash 4 received newcomers, which I had a feeling wouldn't work out. After 2 directs of popular, requested newcomers, I have little faith in characters getting in due to a recent game, or to represent the most recent gen. The only exception is Pokemon because adding any Pokemon that is projected to be popular (aka starters) is a safe bet for a popular requested character.
Pokemon itself shows us that Sakurai can add characters from upcoming games as long as he knows of their existence. I wouldn't rule out the newer characters just yet.

And as far as Pokemon getting a recent newcomer because its "a safe bet for a popular requested character", that's not necessarily true. Quite a few people have made it clear that they would be upset if Sakurai chose a starter who isn't Decidueye, and Decidueye has gotten far less promotion than most other Gen 7 Pokemon. Choosing Pokemon is pretty risky, and as Sakurai himself said with Greninja, he felt like he got lucky.

Most of the influence behind Pokemon newcomers getting in Smash has less to do with their individual popularity/requests and more with relevancy and the sheer popularity of their franchise.

cothero

Smash Lord
I love the concept of echo fighters, they're easy to make and serves to fill the gap of characters that people want. Sakurai can add a bunch of them in the game, i don't care.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
, I'm surprised there are people who are bothered at the idea of the fans' tastes being specifically catered to. Guess you really can't please everyone.
Not everyone has the same taste when it comes to newcomers.

A man's most wanted might be someone else's least wanted.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Can someone please link the whole Kid Icarus thing, I’m really confused.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Holy Moly! Shovel Knight is playable... in Rivals of Aether!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I, personally, wouldn't mind if the entire roster of newcomers turned out to be fan requests. It may be a mite predictable, but it would certainly invoke an "about time" sort of vibe for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno that would more than offset that in terms of hype. If anything, I'm surprised there are people who are bothered at the idea of the fans' tastes being specifically catered to. Guess you really can't please everyone.
Because it means, if tons of people don't want the same characters with you, your faves has zero chance getting in.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Today in not very sound ways to predict characters, every Zelda character has a unique "home stage background" on the Smash site. There are three stages remaining, Hyrule Castle, Skyloft and Pirate Ship.

SS Impa and Tetra confirmed. (Tetra is my second most wanted, let me dream).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai would probably have a lot of explaining to do if he put 2 of 3 long standing fan requests in the game, stopped at Geno and said ''Nah."

Also as much as I like Terra? I really can't see her getting in. Everything so far has said ''Final Fantasy 7." is the only Final Fantasy in the game.

I feel like if Geno isn't getting in? We'd get a Dragon Quest rep or something else for Square.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Today in not very sound ways to predict characters, every Zelda character has a unique "home stage background" on the Smash site. There are three stages remaining, Hyrule Castle, Skyloft and Pirate Ship.

SS Impa and Tetra confirmed. (Tetra is my second most wanted, let me dream).
Tetra is one of my most wanted so I agree.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I don't see why a direct would be needed to talk about the online subscriptions but ok.
I think they haven't fully detailed the service yet. They haven't said if it will ever feature SNES, N64, and/or GameCube games, just NES. Maybe there are more rewards for subscribers they haven't discussed.

In addition, I feel like they haven't sold people on it just yet (IMO). I expect the direct to basically try and sell people the idea of paying for online. Maybe they'll do this by announcing various demos, such as a smash demo (which should appeal to millions of switch owners which then translates to millions of online subscriptions)

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The ballot isn't the end-all-be-all on relevance, and there will be characters that did not originate from the ballot. Richter definitely seems like he was created in tandem with Simon while they were using his games for moveset inspiration. Richter could have done really well on Japan's ballot, sure, but Sakurai is surely not limiting himself to characters that ranked well on the ballot.
Also Richter being popular in Japan, while it might be true, is also barely unfluential because Castlevania is a niche series over there. Ganbare Goemon/Legend of the Mystical Ninja is the second Konami franchise in Japan.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Watch as every character is a popular fan favorite, except for the last one. The final announcement is a reveal trailer for Sudowoodo.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In regard to the Richter Belmont discussion earlier, keep in mind that clone characters take only a small fraction of the time a wholly unique newcomer so even if he wasn't all that popular, it doesn't really matter as his situation as a bonus character cannot be compared to adding a :icsmelee:/:zerosuitsamus:/:4wiifit:-style character. What's more notable is that all the unique newcomer characters we got so far are all big in popularity:

• Inklings? The beloved main characters of one of Nintendo's huge new breakout franchises that was so successful, even on the Wii U
  • Ridley? Dude had one of the most popular memes in Smash history attached to his name, that's how popular and influential he was within the Smash community. Even Waluigi doesn't have anything on par with "Ridley is too big!"
  • Simon Belmont? The Marth of a beloved, long-running franchise and the most well-known of the Belmonts, with many crossover appearances to his name. Naturally going to be a pretty big deal.
  • K. Rool? Like Ridley, also a highly requested character.
Given the trend here, I'm not even sure we'll even get a relatively low-popularity newcomer character for Ultimate unless they can be an echo fighter. The game has truly changed for Ultimate.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Watch as every character is a popular fan favorite, except for the last one. The final announcement is a reveal trailer for Sudowoodo.
Or better yet, as Sakurai's last big troll move before retiring from the Smash franchise for good, he reveals Sandbag as the last newcomer.

"Never ask me for anything ever again."

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can someone please link the whole Kid Icarus thing, I’m really confused.
People are saying that Emily Rogers (who has leaked accurate stuff before) is saying there’s another KI rep, but so far there’s no link to the claim.

I’m not really buying it tbh

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'm calling it, the last newcomer reveal will be the one related to Microsoft, the trailer starts in a similar way as Cloud's, with Smash X Microsoft and some epic music in the background, then, the atomic bomb: Banjo. I would mark out sooo hard and I haven't even played his game ever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, I don't see why a direct would be needed to talk about the online subscriptions but ok

Also can we talk Shovel Knight real quick? I saw him get confirmed in Rivals of Aether https://mobile.twitter.com/RivalsOfAether/status/1027939355061637120?p=v and thought about him in Smash as an AT. Imagine being an indie dev. You make a niche game that was so endearing it got the character in the biggest gaming crossover in the history of the medium. I can only imagine how much Yacht Club cried of joy when they got the deal made
I don't know which meme between "It's what he deserves" and "You're doing amazing sweetie" to use for all the Shovel Knight love so I'll just use both.
"You're doing what you deserve."
catch me in 5-6 years advocating for SK in Smash 6
Finally some good ****ing Gen 2 representation

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Ugh not more Kid Icarus please, Pit is so annoying, his voice everything!

3 reps is more than enough imo.

Biggest mistake other than dark pit would have to be adding in Jigglypuff over Meowth when they had the chance

Also Richter isn't popular? He's more well known than Simon is these days that's for sure.

Also Simon uses Richter's moves from the games not the other way around he should be the echo not Richter

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, I'm going to be moderately salty if Geno gets in because it means a side character from one(1) SNES RPG that's just a spin off of another game can get in but the main character of the Literal GOAT from one(1) SNES RPG can't. But I can't do anything because I know it's inevitable already.

Basically, I just want Crono.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ugh not more Kid Icarus please, Pit is so annoying, his voice everything!

3 reps is more than enough imo.

Biggest mistake other than dark pit would have to be adding in Jigglypuff over Meowth when they had the chance
I mean, to be fair, Jigglypuff only got into 64 due to her sharing a lot of traits with Kirby. Development time for 64 was a big issue, and it led to Marth, Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo all being confirmed dropped characters. Meowth wouldn't be able to use another character as a base, so it was pretty much Jigglypuff or nothing. Mewtwo being planned but dropped further shows Meowth probably wasn't even an option.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
That's what I meant with SE being stingy. Apparently Uematsu's songs are extra expensive so that MIGHT mean something but then I see ALL the love Dracula's Castle got and just think "Jesus either Sakurai REALLY ****ing loves Castlevania or SE is REALLY ****ing stingy for anything"
Sakurai says that he and his music team were extremely excited to work on Castlevania music. And with Konami on board they let it happen.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If we are getting another KI character (Which at this point I HIGHLY doubt) my money is on Viridi, but I don’t think we’ll get a character because is she really that big of a request?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean, to be fair, Jigglypuff only got into 64 due to her sharing a lot of traits with Kirby. Development time for 64 was a big issue, and it led to Marth, Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo all being confirmed dropped characters. Meowth wouldn't be able to use another character as a base, so it was pretty much Jigglypuff or nothing. Mewtwo being planned but dropped further shows Meowth probably wasn't even an option.
Reusing assets is also the biggest reason we even got Ness and Falcon.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
They could always have delayed the game instead.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Man I can't believe we finally got Ridley and K.Rool, I'm still digesting it.
Agreed, like...

It's surreal seeing them on the website in the Metroid and DK sections respectively:

Even seeing FOUR Metroid characters is ridiculous!

And K. Rool's even in the slideshow in the character section!

It's like he's saying "take your relevancy and shove it!"

Even seeing them in the newcomer's section in the Smash Wiki is pretty wild.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They could always have delayed the game instead.
Even then though, we would have gotten Mewtwo over Meowth, since we know for a fact Mewtwo was planned.

Plus Smash was a brand new, untested IP at the time. They very well may have been given a very strict release date.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I, personally, wouldn't mind if the entire roster of newcomers turned out to be fan requests. It may be a mite predictable, but it would certainly invoke an "about time" sort of vibe for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno that would more than offset that in terms of hype. If anything, I'm surprised there are people who are bothered at the idea of the fans' tastes being specifically catered to. Guess you really can't please everyone.
This is how I feel aswell, Smash 4 introduced so many unexpected and unorthodox characters that I've more than had my fair share of those type of newcomers for at least one game's worth. Right now I just want Ultimate to clean table, which it is doing in some style so far, it's making dreams come true.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm calling it, the last newcomer reveal will be the one related to Microsoft, the trailer starts in a similar way as Cloud's, with Smash X Microsoft and some epic music in the background, then, the atomic bomb: Banjo. I would mark out sooo hard and I haven't even played his game ever.
I’d probably cry, he’s always been my number 1 but it felt like a pipe dream until now..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom