• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Both Pokemon and Fire Emblem don't have a consistent cast. It's always added new faces rather than focusing on a famous few. This is why those series will always be adding new characters while it becomes more difficult to find ones for other series.
That doesn't justify giving them new characters every time but instead sticking to the more recurring and popular picks, like Pikachu or Marth.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Not sure if this has been posted but I thought it was interesting.
About a month ago, someone on NeoGAF posted this(now deleted) leak

I'd usually disregard this but he mentioned Chrom being a Roy echo which is kind of left field as a lot of things(Including Smash Wii U) Implied he would be an Ike clone. So "predicting" would have had to have been pretty hard.

He also came back after the Direct and updated his list to fill in the blanks

Right off the bat, I assume people will discard this because he mentioned Galacta Knight being a Meta Knight Echo Fighter, but I wouldn't be so quick to think that. Lucina and Dark Pit were literally just costumes made into their own characters at the last minute. If you pay attention, this is visibly apparent in both Lucina and Dark Pit as their differences are miniscule. In fact, you can notice that Lucina's idle animation is completely unchanged. On Marth, he puts his hand on his chest while Lucina's just kind of hovers there. It's not really all that farfetched to think Sakurai made Galacta Knight into an Echo Fighter at the very last second. I would just assume that he would have very small differences.
I remember a particular leak back in Smash 4 speculation that mentioned both Monster Hunter and Prince Sable as the newcomers. Those were good times. This leak is definitely fake.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
How about this? Would you take the names of each character now and no other information until release or all information except the characters?

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I still dislike the idea of echo-fighters. They make the roster fell cluttered, and take away from the uniqueness of other characters. A character like Marth is far less unique when you three characters that are similar/nearly identical to him.
I'm honestly more excited for the potential Echos than I am for any newcomer that isn't Skull Kid, mostly because the characters I actually want in are more likely to be echos than originals, like Shadow or Black Shadow.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How about this? Would you take the names of each character now and no other information until release or all information except the characters?
Names of each character now. I NEED to know if my most wanted are in on the base roster.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If anyone is wondering, here's the thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/supe...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

This page is actually archived already so we can see that the first post was indeed posted on NeoGAF http://web.archive.org/web/20180705...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

If you scroll down and find the post you can click on his name and it'll take you to this link
https://www.neogaf.com/members/whisslblank.744020/

If we compare that to the new account that posted the second post, we'll see that the URL is different
https://www.neogaf.com/members/whisslblank.744939/
Holy cow Columbo. This is some advanced investigation going on.

D

Deleted member

That doesn't justify giving them new characters every time but instead sticking to the more recurring and popular picks, like Pikachu or Marth.
Says who? You?
This statement is based off nothing more than your own personal fan rule.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's weird how we went from "there's gonna be a lot of Switch and last-gen characters" to "lol we're not getting any newer characters because it's all fan-favorites" in character speculation. Characters that were unlikely have become all-but-confirmed, characters that seemed obvious are now the underdogs. Which makes me a bit bitter over Corrin's inclusion as an Elma supporter.
To be fair the was a lot of opposition to Switch-era characters pre-E3 already. There was just the possibility, which got pretty much shot down when we learned of the project proposal date.

Otherwise yea we were basing our predictions off how Smash 4 received newcomers, which I had a feeling wouldn't work out. After 2 directs of popular, requested newcomers, I have little faith in characters getting in due to a recent game, or to represent the most recent gen. The only exception is Pokemon because adding any Pokemon that is projected to be popular (aka starters) is a safe bet for a popular requested character.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You're most likely right. However, have I not suffered enough yet AT wise?
Not yet...those two (and either Viridi or Medusa) gotta be confirmed as an AT character/background character only

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel like there are so many wanted characters that others want that I would hate to see.

Geno being one. Others would be Isabella, Isaac, Elma, Rex, or any pokemon. I'm glad a lot of the characters I didn't want ended up as ATs. That said, I still expect Geno to get in.
How come you dislike the idea of these characters?

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet
Richter is the most popular Belmont in Japan. I don't think it's too farfetched to suggest he did well in the ballot.
The ballot isn't the end-all-be-all on relevance, and there will be characters that did not originate from the ballot. Richter definitely seems like he was created in tandem with Simon while they were using his games for moveset inspiration. Richter could have done really well on Japan's ballot, sure, but Sakurai is surely not limiting himself to characters that ranked well on the ballot.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
How come you dislike the idea of these characters?
Isabelle has nothing new to offer towards the AC series that Villager doesn't already pull off well. Much like how Pikmin does not need another rep as Olimar already represents the series well. Echoes for both would be the only exception for me.

Don't know or care for the Isaac, Elma, or Rex. And pokemon has enough reps imo with there being none left that are actually popular pokemon, like Meowth or Evee.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The ballot isn't the end-all-be-all on relevance, and there will be characters that did not originate from the ballot. Richter definitely seems like he was created in tandem with Simon while they were using his games for moveset inspiration. Richter could have done really well on Japan's ballot, sure, but Sakurai is surely not limiting himself to characters that ranked well on the ballot.
I'd like to think like that as well, but really all evidence suggests the contrary.
I hope I'm wrong.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
The names to be honest, sometimes there are characters that I fear about getting into smash...
And also I want one of those names to either be Deathborn or Chibi Robo

Also I have a strange theory. If Luigi's Vacuum has a redesign... does this mean that there's been a Luigi's Mansion game that was being developed in 2015? If so, are the games that have been in development hell since 2015 that may be releasing soon? I think that Miyamoto has actually answered a question in a Smosh interview (Yes, that Smosh of all things) saying that they were trying to find ways to implement new control schemes into F-Zero. So there might have been an F-Zero game like that stuck in a loop for a while if this holds true. Otherwise, it could just be a redesign for the sake of a redesign.. Like they did with Captain Falcon since his GX design is toned down a lot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And pokemon has enough reps imo with there being none left that are actually popular pokemon, like Meowth or Evee.
You know there are literally over 800 Pokemon, right?
There are other popular Pokemon that aren't from Gen 1.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
How is picking from characters that fans actually want "limiting"?
If he were to rely entirely on the ballot, it would prevent him from picking things like characters that are less popular but would have extremely unique moveset potential (like Ice Climbers back in the day.)

D

Deleted member

The only new Gen 1 Pokemon I'll accept at this point is Hitmonchan as a Little Mac Echo

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
How is picking from characters that fans actually want "limiting"?
Well, it means he won't be choosing newcomers who aren't popular but still can be interesting (Wii Fit Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers etc.)
This isn't really a bad thing as a whole, but personally I like characters getting in despite nobody wanted them prior to that, as long as we have popular characters, too.
Ultimate seems to be going for fan requests and nothing else.

EDIT: Greninja'd.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Maybe they meant it in a suprise factor sort of way?
I'm pretty surprised we've gotten all returning veterans and Ridley and King K. Rool lol.

Honestly that's enough surprise for me, I don't care if the rest of the characters are predictable fan demands, it's going to be an amazing roster.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
We live in an era where we can unironically expect Isaac, Bandana Dee, Geno and Banjo joining the roster.

Roberk

Smash Champion

I mean there has to be a Direct to talk about this soon right? They still don't even have a release date yet.

The online service currently looks pretty lame, but maybe they can incentivize us with an Ultimate Demo? I don't expect them to go an entire Direct without anything Smash related (they are banking on only Smash for the holiday) so there's a good possibility that we'll get another reveal relatively soon. (Up to a month.)

Also, if a September Direct is becoming more and more likely then maybe we'll get an Elma reveal to tie into the XC2 DLC.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'm pretty surprised we've gotten all returning veterans and Ridley and King K. Rool lol.

Honestly that's enough surprise for me, I don't care if the rest of the characters are predictable fan demands, it's going to be an amazing roster.
I was thinking about like us knowing whos next because of their popularity. I do hope that Sakurai throws in Obscure characters along with them to spice things up

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I mean there has to be a Direct to talk about this soon right? They still don't even have a release date yet.

The online service currently looks pretty lame, but maybe they can incentivize us with an Ultimate Demo? I don't expect them to go an entire Direct without anything Smash related (they are banking on only Smash for the holiday) so there's a good possibility that we'll get another reveal relatively soon. (Up to a month.)

Also, if a September Direct is becoming more and more likely then maybe we'll get an Elma reveal to tie into the XC2 DLC.
I mean, I don't see why a direct would be needed to talk about the online subscriptions but ok

Also can we talk Shovel Knight real quick? I saw him get confirmed in Rivals of Aether https://mobile.twitter.com/RivalsOfAether/status/1027939355061637120?p=v and thought about him in Smash as an AT. Imagine being an indie dev. You make a niche game that was so endearing it got the character in the biggest gaming crossover in the history of the medium. I can only imagine how much Yacht Club cried of joy when they got the deal made

osby

Smash Obsessed
I was thinking about like us knowing whos next because of their popularity. I do hope that Sakurai throws in Obscure characters along with them to spice things up
We didn't get any real obscure characters after Melee, though.

Characters like Duck Hunt and R.O.B. were unexpected but actually quite famous on their own.
Characters like Shulk, on the other hand, are less known but actually had games in recent times.

I'd be down for both, tbh, as long as they are not villains.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I feel like there are so many wanted characters that others want that I would hate to see.

Geno being one. Others would be Isabella, Isaac, Elma, Rex, or any pokemon. I'm glad a lot of the characters I didn't want ended up as ATs. That said, I still expect Geno to get in.

Don't know or care for the Isaac, Elma, or Rex. And pokemon has enough reps imo with there being none left that are actually popular pokemon, like Meowth or Evee.
Did you want them to be AT's because those characters, that many wanted, will somehow, increase Geno chances of making it in? It's fine to dislike characters (although hate is a strong word), but to be glad that they're not in is kinda pushing it.

How many reps a franchise has in Smash is irrelevant, what matter is how unique the characters are, and how much fun they are to play with, Primarina Buzzwole, Incineroar, Decidueye, Lycanroc and Gardevoir are very popular Pokémon that each have a chance to make it in the game, and they all can easily have unique moveset.

Also regardless if you think that's enough Pokémon reps in the game, it's ultimately up to Sakurai to decide when it's enough is enough, most likely we will get a Pokémon newcomer, cause that's how it's been throughout Smash I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
We didn't get any real obscure characters after Melee, though.
Characters like Duck Hunt and R.O.B. were unexpected but actually quite famous on their own.
Characters like Shulk, on the other hand, are less known but actually had games in recent times..
I'd be down for both, tbh,
I agree. A mix of fan favorites and off-the-wall choices is the best scenario for me.

as long as they are not villains.
Hold up, what's wrong with villains?

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I, personally, wouldn't mind if the entire roster of newcomers turned out to be fan requests. It may be a mite predictable, but it would certainly invoke an "about time" sort of vibe for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno that would more than offset that in terms of hype. If anything, I'm surprised there are people who are bothered at the idea of the fans' tastes being specifically catered to. Guess you really can't please everyone.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I agree. A mix of fan favorites and off-the-wall choices is the best scenario for me.

Hold up, what's wrong with villains?
They are perfectly fine, I just think we have "enough" and considering we got three almost one after another, I prefer not getting more for a while.

Also I quite dislike Ridley and K.Rool, so I may be a bit touchy, haha.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd wait for the next drip feed of info.

Still need time to absorb the 5 characters we got. That's by best expectations blown out the water as is in total. (still thinking there'll be two more entirely new ones)

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Im going to be real here, K.Rool and Ridley are the two popular characters besides Waluigi and Geno that I wanted to see in Smash Bros.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'd be down for both, tbh, as long as they are not villains.
Are you prejudice towards villains?
They are perfectly fine, I just think we have "enough" and considering we got three almost one after another, I prefer not getting more for a while.

You need Medusa (or slightly Viridi...by only 0.1%) and Loki from Fire Emblem...also Skull Kid, Eggman, and Sony

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I, personally, wouldn't mind if the entire roster of newcomers turned out to be fan requests. It may be a mite predictable, but it would certainly invoke an "about time" sort of vibe for characters like Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno that would more than offset that in terms of hype. If anything, I'm surprised there are people who are bothered at the idea of the fans' tastes being specifically catered to. Guess you really can't please everyone.
Me too. If anything, this makes one wonder "which fan fave will be next?". That's unpredictable in its own right.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I don't really have a problem with fan request, but I wouldn't mind if Sakurai ever now and then choose some choices out of left field. Characters we wouldn't expect, but would overall make sense to be in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom